Mr. Robot - USA Network - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 677Likes

post #271 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Mr Robot has been busy since filming ended.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/hackers...9--sector.html

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
^ Mr. Robot is always busy....

"we're still here!"
post #273 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Remember that drug dealer he "busted" that was his supply for his opium. He had to with what was available. Of course as it was said things can change quickly depending on the situation for drug addicts

Sent from nowhere
I guess, do they even sell opium like that? I've only seen the scenes where people are smoking it(looked like a tar ball of some kind), but most of that was dramas set in the late 1800's and early 1900's, Peaky Blinders and 'The Knick' being recent ones I remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6280 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I guess, do they even sell opium like that? I've only seen the scenes where people are smoking it(looked like a tar ball of some kind), but most of that was dramas set in the late 1800's and early 1900's, Peaky Blinders and 'The Knick' being recent ones I remember.

I don't believe it was actual opium he was doing (could be wrong). He named a few drugs he was on/doing since the beginning (pill form).

Sent from nowhere
post #275 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
I do recall a liquid "opium" back in the 70s....

post #276 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
I do recall a liquid "opium" back in the 70s....

post #277 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
Is that you on the left?

aaronwt likes this.
post #278 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is that you on the left?
Yes and just to be clear, no laws were broken during the making of the film. That was a giant Wok and I was making Kung Pao Chicken.
aaronwt and Ph8te like this.

post #279 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Yes and just to be clear, no laws were broken during the making of the film. That was a giant Wok and I was making Kung Pao Chicken.
Yeah, surrrre you were...

post #280 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 02:57 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
I'd never give you a bum rap ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYyd0dvNNXU
What an apt link.
The lyrics to this song were one Ollie's facebook page in the show.

I was laughing at Christian Slater playing the gun game. It was called Mallard Murder, and he exclaims "f'ing ducks." Like they are a scourge or something.

I really like this show. I watched 4 episodes on the USA website. No commercials or anything.

I feel like you can interpret this show going in a few different directions. It's got that fight club vibe of all in his head.
If they are real, the fsociety group, I think they will be setting him up to be the fall guy. I think he should be trying to find out who all these people are.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Last edited by Yrd; 07-20-2015 at 03:16 PM.
post #281 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
What an apt link.
The lyrics to this song were one Ollie's facebook page in the show.

I was laughing at Christian Slater playing the gun game. It was called Mallard Murder, and he exclaims "f'ing ducks." Like they are a scourge or something.

I really like this show. I watched 4 episodes on the USA website. No commercials or anything.

I feel like you can interpret this show going in a few different directions. It's got that fight club vibe of all in his head.
If they are real, the fsociety group, I think they will be setting him up to be the fall guy. I think he should be trying to find out who all these people are.
I wasn't aware of that! Thanks for pointing it out.

As to the rest, it's wait and see ....
post #282 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 04:51 PM

Listening the podcasts really helps me sometimes. There was a nod to a comic called Planetary that shares similar backgrounds as this show and Fight Club. Seems I may have to go back eventually and take a look for other "hidden" gems.

Sent from nowhere
post #283 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 08:04 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 519
When they were in the ferris wheel pod and he began the little speech, it made me think of the matrix.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #284 of 1128 Old 07-21-2015, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
Dang it, I wanted to like this, was hoping it would my kind of show but something about it just isn't sitting right with me after I have watched a few episodes, not sure what it is but I have to bail as I find myself not wanting to play the recording anymore and when I am watching it I always want to do something else or I end up not paying attention. Bummer. Hope you guys enjoy it!

post #285 of 1128 Old 07-21-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Dang it, I wanted to like this, was hoping it would my kind of show but something about it just isn't sitting right with me after I have watched a few episodes, not sure what it is but I have to bail as I find myself not wanting to play the recording anymore and when I am watching it I always want to do something else or I end up not paying attention. Bummer. Hope you guys enjoy it!
I'm still watching, but I find myself not paying it enough attention, if you have the room, maybe record the next 3 or so episodes and check the mood around here and see if it picks up or more people start dropping. I'm so spoiled by Netflix, etc... that I sometimes save up a bunch of episodes and start binging.
post #286 of 1128 Old 07-22-2015, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Ok folks what do you make of tonight's episode? Mr Robot sure seemed to be interacting with the group at the end when he smashed stuff with Eliot in the background. I was buying that he was a figment of Eliot's imagination but now?

anyway much better outing than last week's drawn out drug sequence.
post #287 of 1128 Old 07-22-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I'm still watching, but I find myself not paying it enough attention, if you have the room, maybe record the next 3 or so episodes and check the mood around here and see if it picks up or more people start dropping. I'm so spoiled by Netflix, etc... that I sometimes save up a bunch of episodes and start binging.
You might want to hold on a little longer, as tonight's episode goes down the rabbit hole with a bit more thrills. But it's all Crazytown, Jake. And it all violates any sort of assumptions that software security companies actively trying to foil people like Elliot and his merry band would actually allow Elliot to get in and act all crazy. He just screams "mental illness" at first glance, and confirms it shortly thereafter.

But movies have painted themselves into a corner as to things easily discounted have to be there in plotting because of the need for a fast pace. People fall great distances without injury. Guns still have unlimited bullets when necessary. And Elliot gets both in and out of a secure facility, though it's not that hard to suspend disbelief, and the sequence is pretty creepy

But it keeps getting crazier, so the "nothing is real, everything is permitted" rule rules. We are still unsure just what the hackers are trying to do. We don't know the reality of their strange amusement park location. Christian Slater's character interacts, kinda, with the excitable blonde, though he's pretty certain to be just Elliot looking at himself.

And then there's Mr. and Mrs. Scandinavia. He's begining to come into his own, but his story has an unreality to it as well.

But what was all too real was Elliot's true love coming home to discover a loving dad with terrifying money problems. Her midnight run after this discovery paints a horrible picture for gen-Xers and millenials of a society where they may truly be unable to come home again. She pauses and sees two roads branching off in the darkness.

As a rapidly aging boomer, I see one main road, and it's to the undiscovered country. To those left behind, I say "good luck."

CW Hinkle
post #288 of 1128 Old 07-22-2015, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Ok folks what do you make of tonight's episode? Mr Robot sure seemed to be interacting with the group at the end when he smashed stuff with Eliot in the background. I was buying that he was a figment of Eliot's imagination but now?

Without even watching it, I could see them doing that just to make people think he is real.
Ph8te likes this.

post #289 of 1128 Old 07-22-2015, 10:16 PM

Mr. Robot - USA Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

The clue was that Elliot was in the background remember we saw TD fight and supposedly interact as well. If Mr Robot was really in charge then why did she ask Elliot (supposedly the newest member) for permission? Elliot stays back until Mr Robot steps away. Then Elliot steps forward and calms things down. Also the entire time on the trip neither of the guys acknowledged Mr Robot even when I'm the truck.

We are meant to doubt our sanity and I think this episode was made to do just that. This show wants us to be confused so that we ignore the next step coming. The unbalanced nature of the narrator (Elliot) is coming out perfectly and making the viewer feel the same way. I believe he said more than a few times "you're not real" when discussing things.

I think this show is one that deserves multiple watchings. It is one where you'll go back and realize all of the clues that were right in front of us the entire time.

Angela is left at a crossroads where we can only guess that she will fall into fsociety to help her father. Does she fight it and try to resist or does she embrace "the darkness" for the "grater good".

Tyrell I have a feeling (and felt this way before) IS the Dark Army (or at least leading). He just happened to be there the same day as Elliot? Then we find out that they pulled out before everything was set. If he is TDA then it sets up not only a personal conflict between him and Elliot, but a virtual one as well.

Sent from nowhere

Last edited by Ph8te; 07-22-2015 at 10:28 PM.
post #290 of 1128 Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 PM

I haven't finished the episode yet.

However, both Ms. Oink and I said, "WTF" when Mr. Robot started interacting with characters away from Elliot during the opening scene.
Hasn't the showrunners figured out the fans get it yet?
Or are they just trying to muck with viewer's heads?
Either way, NOT a good thing.

I'll try to finish tomorrow, but if it is more of the same silliness, I'm out.

post #291 of 1128 Old 07-22-2015, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Am I the only one old enough here to catch the flagrant plagiarism ............... ummmmm, maybe I should say "homage", to Risky Business at the very end of tonight's episode? Tangerine Dream ....... the exact same song used in RB for the famous train sequence at the end....... there was even a brief shot of Elliot and Darlene on a train as the song was playing with Elliot's voice over that mimicked Joel's (Tom Cruise) narration. It was cute in it's own way.
post #292 of 1128 Old 07-23-2015, 05:57 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8965 Post(s)
Liked: 5742
Quote:
The clue was that Elliot was in the background remember we saw TD fight and supposedly interact as well. If Mr Robot was really in charge then why did she ask Elliot (supposedly the newest member) for permission? Elliot stays back until Mr Robot steps away. Then Elliot steps forward and calms things down. Also the entire time on the trip neither of the guys acknowledged Mr Robot even when I'm the truck.

We are meant to doubt our sanity and I think this episode was made to do just that. This show wants us to be confused so that we ignore the next step coming. The unbalanced nature of the narrator (Elliot) is coming out perfectly and making the viewer feel the same way. I believe he said more than a few times "you're not real" when discussing things.

Sent from nowhere
That's the viewer that he's talking too saying they aren't real isn't it?

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #293 of 1128 Old 07-23-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

However, both Ms. Oink and I said, "WTF" when Mr. Robot started interacting with characters away from Elliot during the opening scene.

Just get out now, in your heart you know its game over.

post #294 of 1128 Old 07-23-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Well the show finished filming before this episode aired. This is part of the planned outline of the show. They are also trying to make you question your own sanity (much like Elliot does). Not sure you'll like the show as I don't see any type of resolution at least till the end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Am I the only one old enough here to catch the flagrant plagiarism ............... ummmmm, maybe I should say "homage", to Risky Business at the very end of tonight's episode? Tangerine Dream ....... the exact same song used in RB for the famous train sequence at the end....... there was even a brief shot of Elliot and Darlene on a train as the song was playing with Elliot's voice over that mimicked Joel's (Tom Cruise) narration. It was cute in it's own way.

There are lots of homages in the show I don't remember Risky Business, so didn't make any connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That's the viewer that he's talking too saying they aren't real isn't it?

Or is it Mr Robot? Or is it another one of his personalities? I was thinking the same thing (the audience), but that statement could have many meanings.

Sent from nowhere
post #295 of 1128 Old 07-23-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Just get out now, in your heart you know its game over.
And leave fsociety leaderless?
I am made of better stock than that...
Just so you know, I am NOT a Chickenhawk, sir.

Quote:
Well the show finished filming before this episode aired.
Good point.

Quote:
They are also trying to make you question your own sanity (much like Elliot does).
Everyone who knows me already does.
I don't need a TV show to question me too.

Quote:
Not sure you'll like the show as I don't see any type of resolution at least till the end of the season.
I'll finish the episode.
If I detect this will be a pattern until the end of the season, I'll let it go.
There is a lot of other stuff out there right now.

Ph8te likes this.
post #296 of 1128 Old 07-23-2015, 10:27 AM

@oink I have a feeling that this show may play better binged for some folks. It makes you feel uncomfortable on purpose and having a week to live with that feeling until the next episode can be a put off. It will be interesting to see the different reactions that come in after this show is available in its entirety. I for one am in until it's done you could always check back to see how they close some things up (there will be some resolution at the end) and what they do to open things for a second season.

Sent from nowhere
post #297 of 1128 Old 07-23-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
@oink I have a feeling that this show may play better binged for some folks. It makes you feel uncomfortable on purpose and having a week to live with that feeling until the next episode can be a put off. It will be interesting to see the different reactions that come in after this show is available in its entirety.
What you are saying makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
you could always check back to see how they close some things up (there will be some resolution at the end) and what they do to open things for a second season.
Maybe that's the route I'll go...
There is a number of things I really like about the series.

Ph8te likes this.
post #298 of 1128 Old 07-23-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Maybe that's the route I'll go...
There is a number of things I really like about the series.

The only reason I say this is that the show was originally meant to be a movie. Because of the amount of story they turned it into a show. This show for sure plays like a movie from the intro to the way it is shot. It's got a very cinematic feel to it and those that have issues seem to be feeding of the negative/uncomfortable feeling that is getting passed on. I for sure see both sides, even though I am enjoying watching week to week.

Recently I was listening to a podcast. Someone said that the tech side of this show wasn't realistic at all followed by the statement "Hackers was pretty awesome". I couldn't tell if that was a nod to the reference in the show or if they were being serious. If anything this show has some of the most realistic depictions of hacking/tech that I have seen in recent years.

Sent from nowhere
post #299 of 1128 Old 07-23-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
The only reason I say this is that the show was originally meant to be a movie. Because of the amount of story they turned it into a show.
Didn't know that.

Quote:
This show for sure plays like a movie from the intro to the way it is shot.
Hmmm, I believe it may have worked better as a movie.
The series is dragging out this Mr. Robot character conceit (is he or isn't he) far too long IMO.
With the limited amount of time available in a movie format, the story could have been more streamlined and focused.

post #300 of 1128 Old 07-23-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
That's exactly what I say when I haven't been paying attention to my wife but she seems to be expecting a response...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page