Mr. Robot - USA Network - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 755Likes

post #361 of 1201 Old 08-07-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
Book it,this show will get cancelled any day now.. This show is terrible. The main guy drives me and my girl crazy! Tell me why listening to the main character narrate/babble inside his head is enjoying? The premise of the show sounded cool,but it was not what it looked to be on the surface. Its terrible. If it makes it to season 2,I would be stunned. Its just painful to watch. Almost Human was 10 X better than this crap and it got cancelled.. Stupid !
I've given up on it for now, but Malek's narration is OK. The problem is that narration in, say, Dexter was much richer and more sardonic. Lots of shows have used it effectively, back to MacGyver and beyond. But here IMO it's just a crutch to stave off total incomprehensibility...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1201 Old 08-07-2015, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
"Any day now" I guess that second season renewal doesn't count...unless you mean "any between now and the next 2-3 years after this season has aired". You are also in the minority heavy critic favor and a strong fan base this show has.

Sent from nowhere
Its a terrible show. It won't have much of a following for long. Like I said, its painful to watch the main character. If he was a normal guy and its was about him stopping cybercrime and such, it would have been decent, but there are too many weird depressing characters on the show. And saying the critics rave about it, means absolutely nothing. The show is dead, you just don't know it yet.
post #363 of 1201 Old 08-07-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6568 Post(s)
Liked: 6325
Quote:
Its a terrible show. It won't have much of a following for long. Like I said, its painful to watch the main character. If he was a normal guy and its was about him stopping cybercrime and such, it would have been decent, but there are too many weird depressing characters on the show. And saying the critics rave about it, means absolutely nothing. The show is dead, you just don't know it yet.

Maybe you're just angry about it getting renewed for a second season? Of course someone that's low tech wouldn't "get" this show much it appeals mostly to the young techy types since many share the same characteristics.

It's painful for YOU to watch, not others. They have shows on major networks that might be more up your alley.

Seems like an agenda is at play

Sent from nowhere
Garrett Adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 1201 Old 08-07-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see what you did with lowtech, good job.. But its still a bad show. I don't care if it got picked up for a 2nd season, I won't watch it, I'm glad you enjoy it, but I'd rather watch paint dry, a lot less painful to watch. BTW, it doesn't have anything to do with not understanding technology, it has to do with super weird unwatchable characters and a seriously lackluster story. I'm not alone on this. Like I said, the show could have been good. Too bad they had to get all weird on it.
post #365 of 1201 Old 08-07-2015, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Maybe you're just angry about it getting renewed for a second season? Of course someone that's low tech wouldn't "get" this show much it appeals mostly to the young techy types since many share the same characteristics.

It's painful for YOU to watch, not others. They have shows on major networks that might be more up your alley.

Seems like an agenda is at play

Sent from nowhere
I'm "old" and I like it. I like how it portrays that generations attitude and opinions on things ........ not that it's a definitive portrayal of all in that age group...... but it's an interesting look into the mind of a certain segment of the population.
Ph8te likes this.
post #366 of 1201 Old 08-07-2015, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
The renewal happened before the first show aired, didn't it? I'm not sure how justified it was myself, I was a big fan of the USA shows a few years back, but this is the only one I currently watch and honestly, I'm not sure why I'm still watching it. Maybe it will get better, to me, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope. I need a few likeable characters and of course the first one they snuff is the likeable next door neighbor.
LowTech1 likes this.
post #367 of 1201 Old 08-07-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I'm "old" and I like it. I like how it portrays that generations attitude and opinions on things ........ not that it's a definitive portrayal of all in that age group...... but it's an interesting look into the mind of a certain segment of the population.

I'm "middle" and work in the industry. I have met and know many socially awkward people that share traits with Elliot. The tech for the most part is spot on. Realistic? Well yes those things "could" be done l, but they would never be done. I let those types of things go, since this is fiction however and they are taking some fantasy liberties.

I do like most of the characters. Elliot especially, he is damaged goods that "wants" to be free of those burdens. I can see people not liking it because of the erratic nature of the host. If you are looking for a cookie cutter good guy this was never your show to begin with.

Sent from nowhere
post #368 of 1201 Old 08-07-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
I'm "middle" and work in the industry. I have met and know many socially awkward people that share traits with Elliot. The tech for the most part is spot on. Realistic? Well yes those things "could" be done l, but they would never be done. I let those types of things go, since this is fiction however and they are taking some fantasy liberties.

I do like most of the characters. Elliot especially, he is damaged goods that "wants" to be free of those burdens. I can see people not liking it because of the erratic nature of the host. If you are looking for a cookie cutter good guy this was never your show to begin with.

Sent from nowhere
I concur. I early retired from a senior management position where I worked very closely with our IT department ...... mostly in an analyst type of capacity where I would relay to programmers how I wanted the software to function. I also have a close friend that owned a successful software/hardware company. Your assessment of Elliot and similar industry types is spot on in my opinion. Cookie cutter this show is not
Ph8te likes this.
post #369 of 1201 Old 08-07-2015, 07:01 PM

I just looked up ratings for the show, I don't think USA is disappointed. Mr Robot is #5 show in viewers and #2 show 18-49. While it may not hit certain peoples eyes (and for some reason be cancelled) it seems it's doing OK in USAs eyes.
@Rebel kill I think renewal happened soon after the 1st show. Remember they released the pilot almost a month before the actual air date.

Sent from nowhere
post #370 of 1201 Old 08-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Mr. Robot has 1 negative review from critics out of a total of 35 (thus 97% rating). The negative review states that the "story has too many holes to feel really compelling", but does not say what any of these many holes are. It was written after watching the pilot only.

The odd negative review from audience will typically say the show is too weird. Given the show's premise, I don't know how it could avoid being weird and still attract viewers. I guess Elliot could be played by a male model and the show turned into a light romantic comedy.
post #371 of 1201 Old 08-08-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
So for the folks that still believe that Robot is just a part of Elliot, what's your position now? Pretty clear to me that while it could have gone either way before, he's certainly a real person now. Unless you really want to go way out on a limb and claim he's every hacker's alternate ego that they all struggle with.
post #372 of 1201 Old 08-08-2015, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
So for the folks that still believe that Robot is just a part of Elliot, what's your position now? Pretty clear to me that while it could have gone either way before, he's certainly a real person now. Unless you really want to go way out on a limb and claim he's every hacker's alternate ego that they all struggle with.
They are they same person. Mr. Robot is in his head. Sometimes he is Elliot and sometimes he is Mr. Robot. Why do you think he goes to the court ordered shrink? They never address both at the same time and when they are in the same scene, one shrinks into the background when the other takes over. I can't believe we are still having this discussion. There has been zero proof Mr. Robot is real. The only time was during the dream like state of the drug withdrawal when they went to the crack house and that was not real.
Ph8te likes this.
post #373 of 1201 Old 08-08-2015, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
They are they same person. Mr. Robot is in his head. Sometimes he is Elliot and sometimes he is Mr. Robot. Why do you think he goes to the court ordered shrink? They never address both at the same time and when they are in the same scene, one shrinks into the background when the other takes over. I can't believe we are still having this discussion. There has been zero proof Mr. Robot is real. The only time was during the dream like state of the drug withdrawal when they went to the crack house and that was not real.
Agree. Mr. Robot seems to have no day job, residence, or relationships outside of FSociety, and does none of the hacking himself. Darlene treats Mr. Robot & Elliot as the same person. Elliot becomes Mr. Robot when he needs his social & leadership skills. Of course, the director/writer could be pulling a fast one on us.

Last edited by Lils Roro; 08-08-2015 at 08:46 AM.
post #374 of 1201 Old 08-08-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 1st scene of the series had Elliot sitting with a guy,telling him everything he knew about him and would expose him if he didn't stop what he was doing. I honestly thought this show was going to be about a kid taking down cyber terrorist ect.. and its nothing like that. I would have definitely liked the show with a normal guy taking people down by himself and maybe some help gets added on. And going by what critics say? Are you joking? Anytime they praise a show or movie,it normally sucks. Like I said,Almost Human was a great show and got cancelled,this show is no where near the quality of that show. Just because they picked up a second season doesn't mean they still can't cancel it. The show is still pretty new,just give it time to go nowhere,which it will and it will get cancelled. Remember who said it here 1st PS. Elliot's character is unwatchable.
post #375 of 1201 Old 08-08-2015, 10:08 AM

Yes, because you are the deciding factor when decisions are being made. If anything you are so far "off" that it has become humorous. I hope they do keep it around just to torture you. The question is will keep watching just to post about how much you hate it.

Sent from nowhere
Garrett Adams and SandstormGT like this.
post #376 of 1201 Old 08-08-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
The 1st scene of the series had Elliot sitting with a guy,telling him everything he knew about him and would expose him if he didn't stop what he was doing. I honestly thought this show was going to be about a kid taking down cyber terrorist ect.. and its nothing like that. I would have definitely liked the show with a normal guy taking people down by himself and maybe some help gets added on.
If that is what you like, than you should go watch a show like Scorpion. That seems to be more in tune with the kind of show you were expecting. Scorpion was an ok show, but stopped watching it because it was always one emergency piled on top of another and I hate shows that use cliches and timers to create suspense.
As for Mr. Robot, it is slowly winning me back. I disliked the 3rd episode and hate the drug coma one, but the last few have been very good. I like the despair, struggle and dark material. Most of the best shows have it is as running theme like GOT, Breaking Bad, BSG, etc.
Some of my biggest criticism is how this show seems to steal the best ideas from other movies and shows like Fight Club, American Psycho, and Breaking Bad. I also am growing tired of the "is Mr. Robot real game" the try to play. Some really great scenes last episode, some even with a hint of originality. The balls in you mouth speech and the honest talk he finally had with his therapist about being alone was some good stuff.
Like they say, different strokes for different folks, but I am glad they are getting a second season to explore these characters.
gwsat, Ph8te, gprace and 1 others like this.
post #377 of 1201 Old 08-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Scorpion was panned by critics, so it also has that going for it that Mr. Robot doesn't.
Ph8te likes this.
post #378 of 1201 Old 08-08-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I agree and part of the motivation for this series is to try to drag that generation back to TV. But they blew it big time as most millinneals would have been watching streaming and they made the second half of the season unaccessible unless you had a cable/sat subscription which included USA Network. Of course you can "own" the episode at what I think is an inflated price and most might rent at 75 cents to $1 if they did it that way. But we know TV execs aren't very forward thinking.

I managed programmers in a game company. The term "herding cats" is a very accurate description. Some programmers can be very arcane. Some can't take the pressure of deadlines and have nervous breakdowns, drug/alcohol problems, heart attacks and even strokes at an unusually young age.
antennahead likes this.
post #379 of 1201 Old 08-08-2015, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5829
Quote:
And going by what critics say? Are you joking? Anytime they praise a show or movie,it normally sucks.
What is it they say about being often wrong but never in doubt? Critics are not the be all and end all, of course, but they are a resource, a source of information, which might be helpful. Willfully choosing to ignore a resource like the critics strikes me as, not to put too fine a point on it, ill-advised. It's perfectly sensible to ignore a particular critic if their reviews have proved their taste to be antithetical to yours. But ignore all critics because no critic ever has good taste? Come on!
CruelInventions and Ph8te like this.
post #380 of 1201 Old 08-09-2015, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

I use the Tomatometer a lot. I know if a movie or tv series has a critical rating of less than 80%, the chances of me liking it are slim regardless of the audience rating. A high critical rating along with a high audience rating means I might like it. It saves time. This doesn't work for people who just want to watch basic good guy vs. bad guy stories with lots of action.

One weakness of critical ratings is that they don't take eye candy into account. For example, I enjoyed watching Lucy (66% rating) because the great and awesome Scarlett Johansson was in almost every scene.
post #381 of 1201 Old 08-09-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We're still having this discussion because there's zero proof that Robot is NOT real. And if he's not real, I really dislike the use of him alone in scenes with the others as a sub for Elliot. It's completely disingenuous to play games with the audience this way because then anything goes.
post #382 of 1201 Old 08-09-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
I use the Tomatometer a lot. I know if a movie or tv series has a critical rating of less than 80%, the chances of me liking it are slim regardless of the audience rating. A high critical rating along with a high audience rating means I might like it. It saves time. This doesn't work for people who just want to watch basic good guy vs. bad guy stories with lots of action.

One weakness of critical ratings is that they don't take eye candy into account. For example, I enjoyed watching Lucy (66% rating) because the great and awesome Scarlett Johansson was in almost every scene.
I use the Tomatometer too. I think the summaries of individual reviews are often useful. I also agree that pneumatic little Scarlet Johansson is easy on the eyes.
post #383 of 1201 Old 08-09-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
We're still having this discussion because there's zero proof that Robot is NOT real. And if he's not real, I really dislike the use of him alone in scenes with the others as a sub for Elliot. It's completely disingenuous to play games with the audience this way because then anything goes.
There is a ton of proof Mr. Robot is not real. We know Elliot is real because he grew up with the Amanda Seyfried ripoff. Mr Robot has none of those connections. He is most likely a manifestation of his father. In the bar, when Elliot orders the Appletini, the bartender looks at him like he has two heads, when Mr.Robot already had one. They are never address by any other character at the same time. When one does something the other shrinks into the background. I agree they try to play the "is he real game" way to much, and if they do make him real at this point it would be a cheap trick.
post #384 of 1201 Old 08-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

If Mr. Robot is indeed real, it would be odd though not unprecedented to title the show with a supporting character's name.
post #385 of 1201 Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I took the title as a description of Elliot.

I'm not sure one way or the other if he's real or not. There's a high chance he's a manafestation of his father. We see his mother off and on but yet to see dad. Is he wearing the same clothes every time? The same jacket at least, that appears pretty old.
post #386 of 1201 Old 08-09-2015, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is a ton of proof Mr. Robot is not real. We know Elliot is real because he grew up with the Amanda Seyfried ripoff. Mr Robot has none of those connections. He is most likely a manifestation of his father. In the bar, when Elliot orders the Appletini, the bartender looks at him like he has two heads, when Mr.Robot already had one. They are never address by any other character at the same time. When one does something the other shrinks into the background. I agree they try to play the "is he real game" way to much, and if they do make him real at this point it would be a cheap trick.
If you accept that he's not real then it's fundamentally wrong to put him in scenes by himself with others as a stand-in alternate personality for Elliot. I have no problem with what they did before this last ep (with Elliot present), but I have a real problem with how they're doing it now. It's just a stupid game IMO.
post #387 of 1201 Old 08-09-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
If you accept that he's not real then it's fundamentally wrong to put him in scenes by himself with others as a stand-in alternate personality for Elliot. I have no problem with what they did before this last ep (with Elliot present), but I have a real problem with how they're doing it now. It's just a stupid game IMO.

We saw the same thing in FC. I don't have any issues with him appearing alone as that would be Elliot as Mr Robot. Elliot being mentally unstable makes our vision of what we are watching "unreliable". It's part of the fun for me as today shows can be too blunt and force feed everything. For a show to make you think and try to figure something out is rare these days.

Sent from nowhere
antennahead and Keenan like this.
post #388 of 1201 Old 08-09-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4014 Post(s)
Liked: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post

Metacritic is another useful resource for those interested in what others think about a particular TV show or film. Mr. Robot has a score of 79/8.4 for example, which is a very good score.
post #389 of 1201 Old 08-09-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
We saw the same thing in FC. I don't have any issues with him appearing alone as that would be Elliot as Mr Robot. Elliot being mentally unstable makes our vision of what we are watching "unreliable". It's part of the fun for me as today shows can be too blunt and force feed everything. For a show to make you think and try to figure something out is rare these days.
Indeed! I am enjoying the show's subtlety and couldn't care less whether Mr. Robot is or is not a manifestation of Elliot. We'll get to the bottom of it eventually and in the meantime I'm just enjoying the journey.
antennahead, Keenan, Ph8te and 2 others like this.
post #390 of 1201 Old 08-09-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Metacritic is another useful resource for those interested in what others think about a particular TV show or film. Mr. Robot has a score of 79/8.4 for example, which is a very good score.

I use Internet Explorer (Win10) which allows pinning sites to a single taskbar icon. My TitanTV icon opens TitanTV and tabs for Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. I consider the Tomatometer indispensable.
Keenan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page