Mr. Robot - USA Network - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 707Likes

post #421 of 1159 Old 08-15-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Finally got around to watching this last episode. It was a good one. But I am a bit disappointed that it definitely looks like it's another Fight Club.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1159 Old 08-16-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
We know that Elliot & Darlene's mother is/was "brutally cruel", which may have contributed to or caused his psychosis, and I would expect future seasons to get into this to some extent. I would expect that his father protected him until his untimely demise. In Fight Club, I don't recall them getting into why the main character went psycho & split his personalities. If they did, I've forgotten it.

Last edited by Lils Roro; 08-16-2015 at 06:27 AM.
post #423 of 1159 Old 08-16-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
We know that Elliot & Darlene's mother is/was "brutally cruel", which may have contributed to or caused his psychosis, and I would expect future seasons to get into this to some extent. I would expect that his father protected him until his untimely demise. In Fight Club, I don't recall them getting into why the main character went psycho & split his personalities. If they did, I've forgotten it.
No doubt. But I was hoping for something completely different, new, more clever than borrowing the FC premise. I wanted to be surprised for the best experience, but am not because there is no "aha" moment like one gets the first time that they see FC.

Not saying this is bad that they borrowed from FC. Tropes get reused throughout literature and film all the time to good effect, and indeed, I would say it's necessary for good film/books to reuse them to some extent. But it always nice to encounter something significantly creatively new.

Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 1159 Old 08-16-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Guys I have a radical theory about Mr. Robot

Spoiler tag for the anal

Spoiler!

Seriously, since the show is planned for multiple seasons, and we're going to find out who mr robot really is pretty soon, it's clear Mr Robot is going to move beyond FC territory.

The hackers in this show are clearly more ambitious than the anarchists in FC, who appear largely to be frustrated nihilistic young men lashing out at consumerist capitalist culture. These guys are not just going to blow up a couple buildings. They have specific grievances, they have plans, and they've shown they are capable of executing those plans (though we can question how realistic their plans are and whether they'll have the impact they hope for).

Another difference is the larger scope of this show, where we get to see the other side, the ones running the system, the "bad guys" like the exec and the CTO, the "good" accommodationists like Gideon. There are real victims, but just working stiff suffering from ennui. Also, there's even less glamorization of the hackers in this show. Elliot clearly has mental problems from the get go, and the group is portrayed as a sad bunch of people living on the margins. Even his alter ego / doppelganger is just his dad, not a charismatic gonzo guru.

What I'm trying to say is you'll enjoy this show better by not getting hung up with the similarity to FC. Remember, everything is a remix.

aaronwt and ltownsend like this.
post #425 of 1159 Old 08-17-2015, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
Finally got around to watching this last episode. It was a good one. But I am a bit disappointed that it definitely looks like it's another Fight Club.
Concepts get reused all the time. I am OK as long as it's a fresh take which I think this is. It's his father which opens up a ton of possibilities to explore Elliot's mind. I love this show.
post #426 of 1159 Old 08-17-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenG View Post
Concepts get reused all the time. I am OK as long as it's a fresh take which I think this is. It's his father which opens up a ton of possibilities to explore Elliot's mind. I love this show.
No doubt. As I said in post #423 , tropes get reused all the time to good effect. I was just hoping to get wowed by something completely new

post #427 of 1159 Old 08-18-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Basically we now have a show where anything can be made up as part of Elliot's mental issues, and I have a real problem with that. I'm still enjoying the show for what it is, hacker tech-wise, but I don't like being strung along with whatever Esmail feels like smoking that week when he writes this stuff.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the last eps play out this season, I might not be back for another.
post #428 of 1159 Old 08-18-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Basically we now have a show where anything can be made up as part of Elliot's mental issues, and I have a real problem with that. . . .
Except that this episode suggests that the veil is being lifted for Elliot (and thus the viewer), given the revelation about his sister and the upcoming confrontation with Mr. Robot.

post #429 of 1159 Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Well that was a bit of a let down, I was really hoping for more of a twist. Next week should prove interesting.
post #430 of 1159 Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6242
^^^ we've been expecting that one. It's never really been about is Mr a Robot real or not, that was just one of the many cogs that made this show fun.

Personally I liked this episode. The veil finally being pulled back was well done. RM has done an excellent job portraying the conflicted nature of his character.

BTW it was quick, but did anyone catch the Fsociety sticker on the train when Elliot looked back at the man reading the paper? Now I wonder if they have been planting clues here and there in the show.

I'm really looking forward to see how they end the season.

Sent from nowhere
aaronwt, Keenan and gwsat like this.
post #431 of 1159 Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked: 3655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
^^^ we've been expecting that one. It's never really been about is Mr a Robot real or not, that was just one of the many cogs that made this show fun.
Agreed, that's what I've been saying as well, folks focusing on that point are not seeing the larger picture and are getting too hung up on the Fight Club aspect of the show.
Quote:
Personally I liked this episode. The veil finally being pulled back was well done. RM has done an excellent job portraying the conflicted nature of his character.
Malek has been excellent, the role he is playing appears to be a very difficult one and he's been handling it as if it was a second skin, just amazing.
Quote:
BTW it was quick, but did anyone catch the Fsociety sticker on the train when Elliot looked back at the man reading the paper? Now I wonder if they have been planting clues here and there in the show.

I'm really looking forward to see how they end the season.

Sent from nowhere
Yup, there were a few, I think there was one on the station walkway when the girls and Elliot were waiting for the train.
Ph8te likes this.
post #432 of 1159 Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
+1

I thought it was pretty well done. And now I'd love to see Tyrell help with the take down of evil corp, since he's obviously a psychopath who could easily be out for revenge now that he's fired.

post #433 of 1159 Old 08-20-2015, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
+1

I thought it was pretty well done. And now I'd love to see Tyrell help with the take down of evil corp, since he's obviously a psychopath who could easily be out for revenge now that he's fired.
You really think Tyrell is there to help? We see him putting on the gloves just like he did before he beat up the bum, so I would guess he was about to beat Elliot to get info on the plan.
Also, his hot wife told him he was out of the family unless he gets back on track with their plan for him to be CTO of E-Corp. Do you know we she is going to do to him when she finds out he was fired.
My guess he is going to use info of the debt hack to get back the position by saving E-Corp from the hack or to blackmail E-Corp for $500 million for the encryption keys to restore the debt once fsociety tries to wipe it. I don't see him as trying to help Elliot and fsociety save the world, more to save himself. I would guess it was more the try to run E-corp kind of play, as Tyrell and his wife seem more intent on power and status than actual money.
ambesolman likes this.
post #434 of 1159 Old 08-20-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Well, he's got plenty of reason to hate Evil Corp, they basically ruined his entire life, so it could go either way, and I don't know about him, but I wouldn't trust Evil Corp to do anything, I'm sure one of his main objects will be to ruin the guy that got the job, the husband of the woman he killed.
post #435 of 1159 Old 08-20-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked: 946
He's got a possible murder charge hanging over him.
post #436 of 1159 Old 08-20-2015, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
You really think Tyrell is there to help? We see him putting on the gloves just like he did before he beat up the bum, so I would guess he was about to beat Elliot to get info on the plan.
Also, his hot wife told him he was out of the family unless he gets back on track with their plan for him to be CTO of E-Corp. Do you know we she is going to do to him when she finds out he was fired.
My guess he is going to use info of the debt hack to get back the position by saving E-Corp from the hack or to blackmail E-Corp for $500 million for the encryption keys to restore the debt once fsociety tries to wipe it. I don't see him as trying to help Elliot and fsociety save the world, more to save himself. I would guess it was more the try to run E-corp kind of play, as Tyrell and his wife seem more intent on power and status than actual money.

I would say he has more reasons to help then to not. E corp basically just took everything he was fighting for and also now he may not get his family back. Even if he were to thwart the attack, he still is a person of interest in a murder. I do t think he'd get back in with them. As Elliot said in this episode his motivation is revenge not "saving the world" that would match Tyrell's motivation as well.

Sent from nowhere
post #437 of 1159 Old 08-20-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked: 3655
post #438 of 1159 Old 08-20-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Great episode. The opening sequence in the Mr. Robot store laid a good foundation, and the storefront montage was a nice transition to the current time period.
antennahead and Ph8te like this.
post #439 of 1159 Old 08-20-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Great episode. The opening sequence in the Mr. Robot store laid a good foundation, and the storefront montage was a nice transition to the current time period.
It hit me at the end of last weeks episode, when the montage of pics showing the family from years back played and Christian Slater looked exactly the same as present day ........ that maybe he was a figment of Elliot's imagination. I enjoyed this weeks show as well.
Ph8te likes this.
post #440 of 1159 Old 08-21-2015, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Yes. That's the predictable route for the narrative to go because most viewers would expect that. Less interesting to me than for the writers to put Eliot in reluctant cahoots with Tyrell, a psychotic, while Eliot struggles with his schizophrenia (now that he is aware).

And Tyrell could still make his wife happy. Knowing the day that E-Corps stock would plummet to worthlessness? Change in all his investments and savings and sell short or invest in something else that would skyrocket in value with a financial collapse. Become wealthy over night and have revenge all at once.

Or Tyrell could prove to be further psychotic through his actions with fsociety and scare his wife into staying with him. Heck, maybe Tyrell ends up killing his wife too. More than one way to work this.

post #441 of 1159 Old 08-21-2015, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

I'm curious as to how Tyrell fits into the future of the show. He would seem to be a liability to everyone concerned. Logically, I can see Mr. Robot taking the gun out of the popcorn machine and putting Tyrell out of his misery.
aaronwt likes this.
post #442 of 1159 Old 08-21-2015, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
I'm curious as to how Tyrell fits into the future of the show. He would seem to be a liability to everyone concerned. Logically, I can see Mr. Robot taking the gun out of the popcorn machine and putting Tyrell out of his misery.

Tyrell is to good of a character to go out like that. He either joins up with Elliot for revenge or most likely leverages his knowledge of the attack to get the CTO job at E-Corp like he wanted. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think the bit about "encrypting the debt records with a self deleting encryption key" was an original part of the plan. Seems odd that they just wouldn't outright delete/destroy the data like the backups. Like it was put in just so Tyrell can go to E-Corp after the hack with the encryption key he grabs right before it deletes itself, and restore the info. They would basically give him anything he wants as we are probably talking about trillions of dollars of debt. Also, unless someone saw Tyrell go to the roof with the CTO's wife or he left physical evidence at the murder scene, it would be hard to get to get the DA to prosecute with such weak circumstantial evidence.
post #443 of 1159 Old 08-21-2015, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked: 3080
Quote:
I'm curious as to how Tyrell fits into the future of the show. He would seem to be a liability to everyone concerned.
Ditto. I was wondering the same thing myself.
post #444 of 1159 Old 08-21-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Quote:
... unless someone saw Tyrell go to the roof with the CTO's wife or he left physical evidence at the murder scene, it would be hard to get to get the DA to prosecute with such weak circumstantial evidence.
IIRC, they were kissing forcefully before Tyrell began to choke her... wouldn't be too difficult for the CSI techs to get some DNA evidence off her lips, etc.
Being Tyrell is already a "person of interest" with a history with the woman- he'd be court ordered to hand over a DNA sample/get swabbed/etc..
Actually, it would be pretty incredible to believe that the detectives on the case aren't going this route already.

"we're still here!"
post #445 of 1159 Old 08-21-2015, 10:55 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9318 Post(s)
Liked: 6002
Quote:
I totally forgot about the gun in there.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #446 of 1159 Old 08-21-2015, 10:57 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9318 Post(s)
Liked: 6002
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
IIRC, they were kissing forcefully before Tyrell began to choke her... wouldn't be too difficult for the CSI techs to get some DNA evidence off her lips, etc.
Being Tyrell is already a "person of interest" with a history with the woman- he'd be court ordered to hand over a DNA sample/get swabbed/etc..
Actually, it would be pretty incredible to believe that the detectives on the case aren't going this route already.
It also wouldn't have been difficult to get sercurity footage from previous things with the show too. But that never happened. So I even wonder if they will have any DNA evidence.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #447 of 1159 Old 08-21-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Tyrell is Elliot.
post #448 of 1159 Old 08-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Tyrell is to good of a character to go out like that. He either joins up with Elliot for revenge or most likely leverages his knowledge of the attack to get the CTO job at E-Corp like he wanted. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think the bit about "encrypting the debt records with a self deleting encryption key" was an original part of the plan. Seems odd that they just wouldn't outright delete/destroy the data like the backups. Like it was put in just so Tyrell can go to E-Corp after the hack with the encryption key he grabs right before it deletes itself, and restore the info. They would basically give him anything he wants as we are probably talking about trillions of dollars of debt.
I think Tyrell has already hacked into Elliot's hack and knows the encryption key. He just didn't know how fSociety was getting rid the backup data until Elliot told him.
post #449 of 1159 Old 08-21-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
"Bank of E" logo like B of A.
post #450 of 1159 Old 08-21-2015, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked: 946
BTW, a real-life corporation perpetrating evil, dumping chemicals it knew to be toxic:

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...pped-past-epa/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page