Mr. Robot - USA Network - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 700Likes

post #481 of 1148 Old 08-27-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2372 Post(s)
Liked: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Not many happen on live TV and to people in the industry however. Not sure why people are getting upset over this. Wait until the episode airs then see if it made sense.
IF we get to see the final episode. There was an episode in the first season of "Hannibal" that never aired in the US due to a school shooting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1148 Old 08-27-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
IF we get to see the final episode. There was an episode in the first season of "Hannibal" that never aired in the US due to a school shooting.

The message said it will air next week and it's the season finale. I don't see them just skipping the whole finale episode. Besides, this story line is completely different to Hannibal. If you skip an episode, LOTS of stuff won't make any sense. Hannibal isn't like that.
post #483 of 1148 Old 08-27-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6142 Post(s)
Liked: 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
The message said it will air next week and it's the season finale. I don't see them just skipping the whole finale episode. Besides, this story line is completely different to Hannibal. If you skip an episode, LOTS of stuff won't make any sense. Hannibal isn't like that.
Doesn't sound like you've ever seen 'Hannibal'. It's heavily serialized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 1148 Old 08-27-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 1870
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Doesn't sound like you've ever seen 'Hannibal'. It's heavily serialized.

Actually, I started the thread for Hannibal. And have seen every episode. I don't recall everyone being clueless as to what was going on after the skipped episode. So it didn't really have any effect on the story line.

Not to mention that it wasn't the season finale.
Ph8te likes this.

Last edited by zeus33; 08-27-2015 at 12:52 PM.
post #485 of 1148 Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6504 Post(s)
Liked: 6222
Quote:
Actually, I started the thread for Hannibal. And have seen every episode. I don't recall everyone being clueless as to what was going on after the skipped episode. So it didn't really have any effect on the story line.

^^^this....

If anything does happen they may edit out that part for airing on TV. If they don't, then we can all discuss the validity after it airs. We may agree with the decision as AS did.

Sent from nowhere
post #486 of 1148 Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:

It's not that big of a deal if it's a cable show, but the major networks will just blow off episodes forever, especially if the show gets cancelled, I remember the Bones episode that was pulled after the Va. Tech(I think that's right) fiasco, it was pretty late the next season before it was shown.
post #487 of 1148 Old 08-27-2015, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6142 Post(s)
Liked: 6798
Quote:

Well, that one episode maybe. Since nobody ever saw it (unless it's available online somewhere), nobody really knows what they may have missed. And the writers would have covered that material in later episodes anyway so as not to leave any holes in their narrative.

But 'Hannibal's not a show where you really want to miss an episode. Somebody important might have become a menu item in your absence.
post #488 of 1148 Old 08-27-2015, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4470 Post(s)
Liked: 5816
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
Keep in mind USA may make some edits in the meantime so who knows.

Fwiw Andy Greenwald saw the finale and agrees with the decision. Any network will err on the side of caution in these situations. You can call it PC. I think it's just good manners.
That's right. In his Grantland piece about USA's decision to postpone the season finale, Andy Greenwald suggested that some editing of the scene in question might be done without harming the drama. As you also pointed out, he thought USA made the right call.
post #489 of 1148 Old 08-27-2015, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
There was an episode in the first season of "Hannibal" that never aired in the US due to a school shooting.
Usenet took care of that "problem".

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Well, that one episode maybe. Since nobody ever saw it (unless it's available online somewhere), nobody really knows what they may have missed. And the writers would have covered that material in later episodes anyway so as not to leave any holes in their narrative.
It aired outside the US was readily available online in the places TV shows normally show up.
Keenan likes this.
post #490 of 1148 Old 08-27-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Usenet took care of that "problem".

It aired outside the US was readily available online in the places TV shows normally show up.

As well as included on the home media releases

Sent from nowhere
post #491 of 1148 Old 08-27-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked: 3645
From Vulture by Josef Adalian,

(No spoilers)

How Did a Show Like Mr. Robot End Up on USA?
post #492 of 1148 Old 08-29-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 644
I'm sensitive to when fiction crosses over and hits too close to home for real-life events... but a week from now the people who were hit hard this week will still be reeling from the shooting.

IF we're going to have TV shows and movies that are going to be pulled because they might be too similar to a real-life thing... why do they even make such shows? It starts to get a little silly.

I speak from experience, not with a violent scenario... but when I lost my parents... not at the same time... but when I lost them, I went through periods of not wanting to watch TV at all... so I didn't. When I felt like watching things again, I found shows that had themes about the loss of a parent. Sometimes it bothered me and I would turn the TV back off for a while... eventually I learned to push through for shows and movies I otherwise liked. Time helps with that...

But what I didn't expect... was for TV and movies to stop being about the things that made me feel bad sometimes or reminded me of a bad thing that happened to me. People directly affected by real-life events might need to pull themselves back a bit, grief takes many forms...

In the grand scheme of things... I don't think these pulling-of-show situations are as much about "concern" for those affected by violence in real-life... but rather that they think they probably will get lower ratings from those who choose to tune out because of how they feel in the moment... and the network would rather get those ratings later... so it's more likely about the money than it is the sympathy. That said, I'm sure people working on the show actually have sympathy... I'm not questioning that... I just expect the network decision to yank or postpone a show has more to do with how it might affect their revenue than it does sympathy.

Especially... as others note... they air other shows that feature violent things in the meantime... even if those shows don't directly relate to this week's shooting... they probably hit someone somewhere close to home... but the network isn't thinking about that.

All that said... it does look like we're getting an edited show next week, because I note the show is only listed as an hour next week... so we might never know what was changed or cut from the episode.
aaronwt likes this.
post #493 of 1148 Old 08-29-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 104
On D*, for today only, the final episode is available for on demand viewing (alas, with no ffwd and commercials).
post #494 of 1148 Old 08-29-2015, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
On D*, for today only, the final episode is available for on demand viewing (alas, with no ffwd and commercials).
I keep finding last week's episode, it says it is episode 10, but it's the last week's episode, is it listed someplace special on demand?
post #495 of 1148 Old 08-29-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Ya. I was going by the title thinking it would be correct. Alas, just last week's
post #496 of 1148 Old 08-29-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I'm sensitive to when fiction crosses over and hits too close to home for real-life events... but a week from now the people who were hit hard this week will still be reeling from the shooting.

IF we're going to have TV shows and movies that are going to be pulled because they might be too similar to a real-life thing... why do they even make such shows? It starts to get a little silly.

I speak from experience, not with a violent scenario... but when I lost my parents... not at the same time... but when I lost them, I went through periods of not wanting to watch TV at all... so I didn't. When I felt like watching things again, I found shows that had themes about the loss of a parent. Sometimes it bothered me and I would turn the TV back off for a while... eventually I learned to push through for shows and movies I otherwise liked. Time helps with that...

But what I didn't expect... was for TV and movies to stop being about the things that made me feel bad sometimes or reminded me of a bad thing that happened to me. People directly affected by real-life events might need to pull themselves back a bit, grief takes many forms...

In the grand scheme of things... I don't think these pulling-of-show situations are as much about "concern" for those affected by violence in real-life... but rather that they think they probably will get lower ratings from those who choose to tune out because of how they feel in the moment... and the network would rather get those ratings later... so it's more likely about the money than it is the sympathy. That said, I'm sure people working on the show actually have sympathy... I'm not questioning that... I just expect the network decision to yank or postpone a show has more to do with how it might affect their revenue than it does sympathy.

Especially... as others note... they air other shows that feature violent things in the meantime... even if those shows don't directly relate to this week's shooting... they probably hit someone somewhere close to home... but the network isn't thinking about that.

All that said... it does look like we're getting an edited show next week, because I note the show is only listed as an hour next week... so we might never know what was changed or cut from the episode.

Why would they get lower ratings of the only people that knew about the scene were the creators, execs and reviewers? It's one thing to say they'd lose money (ala a movie), but with TV they'd already have the viewership even if aired.

As far as why do they make such shows? I mean who expects something like that to happen? Crazy stuff happens all of the time, now we have to force people to make TV/movies about things that should/could never happen? That's the fantasy genre and there is plenty of it.

We will know what is cut as reviewers saw the episode and AS agreed with the decision to pull the episode. Not sure why this is such a big deal. It's delayed a week, they didn't pull the episode. As far as I know it has not been edited either, if it is then so be it, I understand that as well.

Whoever knew that delaying an episode for a week would get people so hot and bothered.

Sent from nowhere
post #497 of 1148 Old 08-29-2015, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Why would they get lower ratings of the only people that knew about the scene were the creators, execs and reviewers? It's one thing to say they'd lose money (ala a movie), but with TV they'd already have the viewership even if aired.

As far as why do they make such shows? I mean who expects something like that to happen? Crazy stuff happens all of the time, now we have to force people to make TV/movies about things that should/could never happen? That's the fantasy genre and there is plenty of it.

We will know what is cut as reviewers saw the episode and AS agreed with the decision to pull the episode. Not sure why this is such a big deal. It's delayed a week, they didn't pull the episode. As far as I know it has not been edited either, if it is then so be it, I understand that as well.

Whoever knew that delaying an episode for a week would get people so hot and bothered.

Sent from nowhere
The sad part for me about all of this is that we've become so desensitized as a society that the prevailing attitude seems to be: "damn, I'm being inconvenienced and missing my show for a week" . I think USA pulled the episode as much for a show of respect and sympathy for the victims and families as for the fact that real life was imitating art. Just my opinion, YMMV
Leftcoastdave and Ph8te like this.
post #498 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 06:08 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I would expect it's more a defense against the overly PC crowd that have to be outraged by something at any given time.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #499 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 06:34 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9295 Post(s)
Liked: 5980
Quote:

Sent from nowhere
It always has. And then it screws up DVRs that were set to record if. If people don't know that this happened then their DVR won't record it because it thinks it already recorded the episode last week. So when it shows up again the following week it won't be recorded unless it's set up to record duplicates. Which is not the case for most people.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #500 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It always has. And then it screws up DVRs that were set to record if. If people don't know that this happened then their DVR won't record it because it thinks it already recorded the episode last week. So when it shows up again the following week it won't be recorded unless it's set up to record duplicates. Which is not the case for most people.

Do most people only create individual recordings per week? I would think "most people" would set their DVR to record any showing "new episodes only". Next weeks episode would be marked as "new" and thus automatically recorded. Again, this all depends on the end user (as in most cases), but even then again they had multiple notices during the episode this past week to say the finale was delayed a week. That gave notice that if your statement was true they would set up a manual recording.

Sent from nowhere
post #501 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
The sad part for me about all of this is that we've become so desensitized as a society that the prevailing attitude seems to be: "damn, I'm being inconvenienced and missing my show for a week" . I think USA pulled the episode as much for a show of respect and sympathy for the victims and families as for the fact that real life was imitating art. Just my opinion, YMMV
First, real life can't imitate something that hasn't aired yet. Second, not airing the finale doesn't do anything to help the victims or the families. Third, it has the faint odor of trying to capitalize on the tragedy. People who wouldn't have otherwise watched the finale of Mr. Robot are now going to tune in to see what's in it that caused it to be postponed.

If USA donates a significant portion of the advertising revenue made from the finale to the victims families that would be a meaningful gesture. Postponing the finale for a week, no.
post #502 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:
I think the key words here are "for a show." It's a corporation. There's no true altruism. USA is both avoiding any potential for negative backlash and trying to create the illusion of being caring. Smart business move on their part, IMO.

Given how many other shows I watch were ending the season this past week and in recent weeks, works out fine for me to have this postponed. We are kind of in that null where many shows have ended for the season and the fall premiers have not started yet.
Stereodude likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #503 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Regular viewers know what this show is about, and if you were directly affected by the real-life shooting, you probably would choose not to watch this show this week. You'd probably DVR it to watch later, but that wouldn't reflect their ratings for live-viewing... and you might not even watch from the DVR for a while. I know, because it's what I did when I experienced some real-life tragedy years back. I let my timers keep recording things knowing that maybe in a few weeks or a month or two I'd start wanting to be part of the world again and would possibly want to watch shows I had liked before real-life interrupted me.

Quote:
That wasn't my point. My point was... if you're going to make fiction, you should expect that sometimes real-life will be similar to your fiction... and if you're going to pull or edit your work of fiction because of these unanticipated real-life events, you probably shouldn't be making fiction. Crazy and unanticipated things happen all the time, and sometimes they happen to be similar with a fictional thing... but if we stop making or showing fiction because of real-life, then we'd never make anything. That was my point.

Quote:
Not hot and bothered here... just don't buy into the "we did it for niceness" aspect. If that were true, the show would never have been bought in the first place because there's already enough shocking content on the show to offend someone or be similar to someone's real-life events. The world doesn't stop when bad things happen to you, or me... and we shouldn't expect it to... we should take our own time to grieve and think and then come back to the world when we are ready.

Quote:
As others have said, those families and friends are still going to be suffering next week too. In my own experience, it took me weeks to feel even remotely like watching fiction for fun... and I didn't lose someone to a violent shooting... I just lost someone to a surprise death at home... but I was in a daze for a week or two, then another couple of limbo-like weeks... then slowly began to try and think of normal life again. I ignored a lot of TV for a long time until I was ready. I guarantee that's what the friends and family are doing here... they aren't looking for things to offend them on TV... they are busy with their own grief and search for justice (although in the case of the TV reporters, they got a modicum of justice in how that played out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I would expect it's more a defense against the overly PC crowd that have to be outraged by something at any given time.
That's another aspect too... the people who will complain about anything, get louder in these situations. I should have included that in my earlier thoughts.

Quote:
Do most people only create individual recordings per week? I would think "most people" would set their DVR to record any showing "new episodes only". Next weeks episode would be marked as "new" and thus automatically recorded. Again, this all depends on the end user (as in most cases), but even then again they had multiple notices during the episode this past week to say the finale was delayed a week. That gave notice that if your statement was true they would set up a manual recording.
At least in my case, last week my DVR recorded this as a new episode with all the markings of the pulled episode, and not what actually ran... so next week would be viewed by a "new episodes only" timer as a duplicate of an episode already recorded and it would be skipped. It was very much a manual intervention on my part to set a timer to catch next week. I also note, no repeat late-night airings like usual... it looks like just 10pm next week and that's it... but it's only in an hour and not the usual slightly longer timeslot.

Quote:
First, real life can't imitate something that hasn't aired yet. Second, not airing the finale doesn't do anything to help the victims or the families. Third, it has the faint odor of trying to capitalize on the tragedy. People who wouldn't have otherwise watched the finale of Mr. Robot are now going to tune in to see what's in it that caused it to be postponed.

If USA donates a significant portion of the advertising revenue made from the finale to the victims families that would be a meaningful gesture. Postponing the finale for a week, no.
Yeah... that's my thing. I bet people who worked on the show do feel sympathy and a little weird about it... but I suspect the network based it's decision less on that and more on business aspects and bottom-line-dollar-signs.
post #504 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You're getting hung up on the fact it hadn't aired yet. The fact remains the similarity exists, regardless of which came first. Accusing USA of trying to capitalize on the tragedy makes you out to be one heavily jaded individual....... maybe you're not, but it sure comes across that way.
post #505 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Accusing USA of trying to capitalize on the tragedy makes you out to be one heavily jaded individual.......
You do know what company owns USA Network? NBC News, which is owned by . . . Comcast.

Yes. Comcast the loving company that we've all come to know and love who never aggressively pursues their own self interest

I'd call him a realist
Stereodude likes this.

Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #506 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
You do know what company owns USA Network? NBC News, which is owned by . . . Comcast.

Yes. Comcast the loving company that we've all come to know and love who never aggressively pursues their own self interest

I'd call him a realist
Well assuming the decision came from the top, you could very well be right ................. but it would be nice to think that a decision could still be made today for the right reasons.
post #507 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Well assuming the decision came from the top, you could very well be right ................. but it would be nice to think that a decision could still be made today for the right reasons.
If there was any kind of group management discussion about the decision to postpone the episode, someone should surely would have pointed out that postponing the episode with the media attention it created could improve ratings. They would be terrible at their jobs if that had not been brought up. Any time a network discusses moving or delaying an episode, the very first question on the table will be "what is this going to do to ratings?"

post #508 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 02:31 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9295 Post(s)
Liked: 5980
Quote:

Sent from nowhere
The DVR will think it's already been recorded. Since it has a recording with the same name from the previous week. It would need to be set to record duplicates or everything to get the episode.

Last edited by aaronwt; 08-30-2015 at 02:35 PM.
post #509 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
If there was any kind of group management discussion about the decision to postpone the episode, someone should surely would have pointed out that postponing the episode with the media attention it created could improve ratings. They would be terrible at their jobs if that had not been brought up. Any time a network discusses moving or delaying an episode, the very first question on the table will be "what is this going to do to ratings?"
I would never disagree that this could be a "twofer" ........ but I still think there is a little compassion left in the world for those suffering from a senseless crime.
post #510 of 1148 Old 08-30-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The DVR will think it's already been recorded. Since it has a recording with the same name from the previous week. It would need to be set to record duplicates or everything to get the episode.

My DVR doesn't delete "same name" it just records the episodes marked as "new". While this leaves it up to the powers at be to ensure new episodes are marked as such over the past 8+ years, I've only run into a small handful of issues. Maybe I'm lucky that my DVR ignores the same and just looks for the "new episode" tag.

Sent from nowhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page