Mr. Robot - USA Network - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 818Likes

post #61 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
The pilot was terrific.
It wasn't clear until the very end where this show is going.
In spite of that, I'm in for the season.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7230 Post(s)
Liked: 16437
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I watched the pilot episode today and thought it was sensational. Rami Malek's performance as Elliot Alderson, an antisocial genius computer programmer who is a hacker in his spare time, particularly impressed me. I also liked Bruce Altman's performance as the odious Terry Colby. Thought the way Elliot got even with Colby without getting mad was particularly gratifying. Now I wonder what the one percent of the one percent folks have in mind for Elliot. I am really looking forward to the rest of the season.
Rami was ok. The whole woe is me, I hate my job, why do I have to work, sunshine burns my milk toast skin attitude makes me want to take a Big Bertha upside his head. The second half of the show saved it for me and I'll continue on.

post #63 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 675
It bothers me that I'm apparently expected to jump on the debt-is-evil bandwagon - it's far too simplistic. Wiping out debt would destroy the industry - who would be dumb enough to loan money after that, never mind at what interest rates? Angela has $200K in student loans, but she also has a pretty good job - wasn't that the whole idea of taking out the loans? Too bad the hackers didn't get around to destroying the student loan industry earlier - Angela would be so much happier as a debt-free burger flipper than a college graduate with a bright future. Plus then only rich people would be able to afford college. Hurray!

Evil is portrayed as a "conglomerate" but I'm pretty sure lending institutions are restricted to financial activities. I guess calling it a bank just doesn't convey enough evilness.

And are we supposed to believe that all that money they loaned out was theirs? The bulk of it would belong to federally insured depositors - that's where the so-called massive transfer of wealth would come from. The top 1% didn't get there by risking huge amounts of their own money. And are banks really the culprit in the magnitude of student debt, not the actual astronomical cost of college?

If the debt-is-evil meme is so easy to accept, why don't we just make lending illegal?

Some aspects of the show are good but they need to come up with better scenarios than this silly cliche...
JoeTiVo, Don S, mnetop and 1 others like this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4480 Post(s)
Liked: 5831
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
gwsat- did you happen to see the HOB miniseries "The Pacific" (2010)?
Rami Malek was excellent in that too!
I did see The Pacific and liked it but had completely forgotten about Malek until he showed up on Mr. Robot. Malek carried the pilot episode on his back. He is a terrific actor.
post #65 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
It bothers me that I'm apparently expected to jump on the debt-is-evil bandwagon - it's far too simplistic.
That part bothered me but only because it seemed completely ripped off from Fight Club. The real evil activities of mega-corporations weren't really mentioned.
post #66 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
If the debt-is-evil meme is so easy to accept, why don't we just make lending illegal?

Some aspects of the show are good but they need to come up with better scenarios than this silly cliche...
We need to see how this plays out on the show. Remember, the main character is a paranoid schizophrenic and it's deliberately unclear how much of what he sees and what happens to him are delusions. Are Mr. Robot and his band of hackers real at all, or is their scheme all a fantasy he's concocted in his head? What about the men-in-black who grabbed him and brought him to the secret boardroom. Did any of that actually happen?
Keenan, gwsat and Ph8te like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #67 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
The whole woe is me, I hate my job, why do I have to work, sunshine burns my milk toast skin attitude makes me want to take a Big Bertha upside his head.
For some reason, I am unable to imagine you trying to grasp a Big Bertha...

Quote:
It bothers me that I'm apparently expected to jump on the debt-is-evil bandwagon - it's far too simplistic. Wiping out debt would destroy the industry - who would be dumb enough to loan money after that, never mind at what interest rates? Angela has $200K in student loans, but she also has a pretty good job - wasn't that the whole idea of taking out the loans? Too bad the hackers didn't get around to destroying the student loan industry earlier - Angela would be so much happier as a debt-free burger flipper than a college graduate with a bright future. Plus then only rich people would be able to afford college. Hurray!

Evil is portrayed as a "conglomerate" but I'm pretty sure lending institutions are restricted to financial activities. I guess calling it a bank just doesn't convey enough evilness.

And are we supposed to believe that all that money they loaned out was theirs? The bulk of it would belong to federally insured depositors - that's where the so-called massive transfer of wealth would come from. The top 1% didn't get there by risking huge amounts of their own money. And are banks really the culprit in the magnitude of student debt, not the actual astronomical cost of college?

Is that you, Donald Trump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
We need to see how this plays out on the show. Remember, the main character is a paranoid schizophrenic and it's deliberately unclear how much of what he sees and what happens to him are delusions. Are Mr. Robot and his band of hackers real at all, or is their scheme all a fantasy he's concocted in his head? What about the men-in-black who grabbed him and brought him to the secret boardroom. Did any of that actually happen?
My prescience is telling me CS and Mr. Linux are in cahoots together.
Our hero will reject their alliance overture and attempt to right the world by starting his own team of hackers.

post #68 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
I really enjoyed the pilot, but like many shows and movies where the protagonist has some serious mental health issues, there was some major inconsistencies as far as I'm concerned. The way he's presented, Eliot has significant social phobias, so much so, some nights he curls up on the floor of his apartment and cries because of his loneliness. But then he can somehow walk right up to one of the "baddies" he's hacking and look him in the eye and calmly and rationally confront him over his misdeeds and how he got the goods on him. It's more likely someone like Eliot would rely on the anonymity of electronic communications to confront people he's hacking, not go out of his way to track them down so he can do it in person (like he did with his therapist's boyfriend). The level of poise and confidence he shows in those scenes is just completely incongruent with someone who's so uncomfortable dealing socially with other people.
Fyrebird likes this.
post #69 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I really enjoyed the pilot, but like many shows and movies where the protagonist has some serious mental health issues, there was some major inconsistencies as far as I'm concerned. The way he's presented, Eliot has significant social phobias, so much so, some nights he curls up on the floor of his apartment and cries because of his loneliness. But then he can somehow walk right up to one of the "baddies" he's hacking and look him in the eye and calmly and rationally confront him over his misdeeds and how he got the goods on him. It's more likely someone like Eliot would rely on the anonymity of electronic communications to confront people he's hacking, not go out of his way to track them down so he can do it in person (like he did with his therapist's boyfriend). The level of poise and confidence he shows in those scenes is just completely incongruent with someone who's so uncomfortable dealing socially with other people.

He explained him doing it in person right in the show dialog. He said normally he does this remotely, he wanted to make sure that he didn't run or erase the evidence.

Sent from nowhere
post #70 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
He explained him doing it in person right in the show dialog. He said normally he does this remotely, he wanted to make sure that he didn't run or erase the evidence.

Sent from nowhere
That applies to "Ron" but not the dog-abuser. Ron's offense involved infrastructure that could be physically destroyed despite Elliot's control. He could copy evidence but it wouldn't be admissible. With the dog-abuser he just collected info on the internet and could have threatened exposure without the face-to-face (but maybe he just really wanted that dog?)

I think the point in question has more to do with his ability to handle the confrontations so coolly, given his emotional problems...

CC

post #71 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
That applies to "Ron" but not the dog-abuser. Ron's offense involved infrastructure that could be physically destroyed despite Elliot's control. He could copy evidence but it wouldn't be admissible. With the dog-abuser he just collected info on the internet and could have threatened exposure without the face-to-face (but maybe he just really wanted that dog?)

I think the point in question has more to do with his ability to handle the confrontations so coolly, given his emotional problems...

That's the things in people that have mental illness, sometimes they can get "past it" other times it's debilitating.

Sent from nowhere
post #72 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
That's the things in people that have mental illness, sometimes they can get "past it" other times it's debilitating.
That's exactly right. Even the seriously deranged can occassionally pull it together and appear perfectly sane if the need arises.
post #73 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7230 Post(s)
Liked: 16437
Quote:
Even the seriously deranged can occassionally pull it together and appear perfectly sane if the need arises.
Yeah, Oink's a perfect example.
Keenan, ltownsend, Ph8te and 1 others like this.

post #74 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sent from nowhere
I suppose it's not that hard to avoid scheduling his confrontations on that one day a week he spends crying in the corner.

He tells the shrink he's taking his meds, but I have to wonder if he actually means the opium he so carefully measures out - that might account for his calmness in those situations.

CC

post #75 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 05:41 PM

Hey!

Ph8te likes this.
post #76 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I suppose it's not that hard to avoid scheduling his confrontations on that one day a week he spends crying in the corner.

He tells the shrink he's taking his meds, but I have to wonder if he actually means the opium he so carefully measures out - that might account for his calmness in those situations.

We have had such a brief exposure to him, we don't know how he will react in the future. He goes to work and while he doesn't talk to people much he does interact. Hard to make judgements though based on such a small window. I've known mentally ill people who were ok for long periods of time. Then like a switch any time it could just turn "off" and they may need to be hospitalized. At least from my experiences I haven't seen anything that made me think his portrayal is "off" or convenient.

Sent from nowhere
post #77 of 1239 Old 06-26-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Bravo! In spite of the preachiness of the pilot, I loved it. I may grow tired of the "us against the man" theme, but damn that was engrossing in spite of it. Definitely will be watching ..
post #78 of 1239 Old 06-27-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
I watched the pilot episode today and thought it was sensational. Rami Malek's performance as Elliot Alderson, an antisocial genius computer programmer who is a hacker in his spare time, particularly impressed me. I also liked Bruce Altman's performance as the odious Terry Colby. Thought the way Elliot got even with Colby without getting mad was particularly gratifying. Now I wonder what the one percent of the one percent folks have in mind for Elliot. I am really looking forward to the rest of the season.
Small quibble but Elliot is a security engineer not a programmer, quite a difference in the IT world I was part of for 25 years (I was a Unix/Linux dev and sysadmin for MegaCorp until retiring at end of last year). I'm sure they'll show him coding at some point but right now he's just a really good sysadmin and hacker. BTW the technobabble in this ep was high quality and very realistic, not the usual tech nonsense that you hear. Outside of the use of the non-existent 'astu' command on Linux, of course.

Great pilot and I have high hopes for this series even with the Slater kiss o death. Good to see USA branching out into more serious stuff.
JohnDG likes this.
post #79 of 1239 Old 06-27-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Very surprised they showed footage of Jobs when Eliot was rattling off the ills of society, i.e. the rampant consumerism which makes people politically docile, but when it came to setting up a villain, it was E or Evil Corp.

Well debt is a serious issue but erasing personal debt is the revolution? If more people didn't have their college loan debt hanging over them, like his friend, they would be more politically aware, maybe push back against the 1 percent of the 1 percent?

Seems like a way to abstract real issues, like inequality, destruction of environment, etc.
post #80 of 1239 Old 06-27-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Small quibble but Elliot is a security engineer not a programmer
The IMDb synopsis for the show says that the guy is a programmer. Apparently mistakenly, I accepted IMDb's version as true. I worked in IT for a long time too but didn't worry too much about the details of Elliot's job. It seems to me that in TV land a genius techie is a genius techie, regardless of the details of his work.
post #81 of 1239 Old 06-27-2015, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 2135
Quote:

Quote:

Sent from nowhere
Quote:
That's exactly right. Even the seriously deranged can occassionally pull it together and appear perfectly sane if the need arises.

I think he really wanted to rescue the dog, so he needed to step up for that...

The fact is, though, insane people often have this ability to compartmentalize their behavior, almost to the point of genuinely believing it isn't them. Ted Bundy moved about in plain site for years, even after already being convicted once. John Wayne Gacy actually got involved with election politics, including activities of Rosalynn Carter.

The thing about crazy is, it doesn't work predictably.
ltownsend, oink and Ph8te like this.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 06-27-2015 at 10:57 AM.
post #82 of 1239 Old 06-27-2015, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:

Quote:

Sent from nowhere
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
I think he really wanted to rescue the dog, so he needed to step up for that...

The fact is, though, insane people often have this ability to compartmentalize their behavior, almost to the point of genuinely believing it isn't them. Ted Bundy moved about in plain site for years, even after already being convicted once. John Wayne Gacy actually got involved with election politics, including activities of Rosalynn Carter.

The thing about crazy is, it doesn't work predictably.
I don't think there has been anything presented about this character thus far that would indicate he is crazy or deranged in a sociopathic unpredicatable way (for example, he doesn't appear to be prone to sudden violent outbursts like the Bradley Cooper character, who was diagnosed as manic depressive, in Silverlinings Playbook).

As far as we know, Eliot has a very specific condition known as social phobia, which is linked to bouts of depression caused by the loneliness he feels from not being able to connect to others. I rewatched that opening scene with the Ron's coffee guy in which Eliot specifically talks about his mental condition, saying he doesn't know how to talk to people and that part of the reason he approached "Ron" in person was because we was working on confronting his social anxiety problem.

I also noticed, unlike what I said earlier about him appearing too cool and confident given his mental condition, he did appear somewhat agitated, but in a very subtle way. Without appearing obviously nervous or unconformable, his voice was a bit faltering and he did look around a few times. I definitely got a sense of the fear/anxiety underneath what he was saying. Good job on the actor's part.

Also thinking about it further (knowing a thing or two about social phobia), as difficult as it was for him to go out and confront the guy, as Eliot admitted to, his anxiety was undoubtedly lessened by a certain degree of feeling in control in the situation. Eliot did his homework, had the goods on the guy, had thought through the different scenarios and consequences, and had taken the necessary precautions. In contrast, had he gone to his friend's birthday celebration in the bar, we would have very little feeling of control, as people would possibly be asking questions or acting in ways that made him uncomfortable, a girl might flirt with him and he wouldn't know how to respond, or worse, no one would talk to him and he would be ignored the entire time.
post #83 of 1239 Old 06-27-2015, 01:45 PM

A hour premiere episode is not enough time for the audience to judge exactly what his mental state is.

I'm willing to bet the showrunners will dole out that info slowly, rather than quickly.
If they are smart, they won't be in a great hurry to dispel some of the mystery of their lead character.

Ph8te likes this.
post #84 of 1239 Old 06-27-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
I'm guessing Mr robot's agenda is not as stated. He's up to something else and is playing Eliot. Wouldn't surprise me if he and E Corp are working together somehow. But yeah the debt thing bothers me as Eliot seems like he's too bright not to ask "what would wiping out the debt do". If we learned anything from the financial crisis it's that the one percent will do just fine, it's the poor and middle class that end up getting the shaft.

But I'll let them have that one because very bright people can be quite naive about some things. In fact it's the really smart that can fool themselves into believing really stupid ideas.

I haven't seen the lead in anything else and really like him here. His character comes across as a genuine oddball as opposed to an actor with a variety of tics. Those eyes!
post #85 of 1239 Old 06-28-2015, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Jusy sayin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
I am going to have to put off suspending my DirecTV service for a while....
AMC is available on slingTV
https://www.sling.com/
The others, unfortunately not.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #86 of 1239 Old 06-29-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Thinking that the cadre of hackers is either:
a) Representative of different aspects of the main character's personality, or
b) Actually his personality, i.e. they are all in his head.

Reasonably engaging opening salvo into the dreck that is typical of TV. I'm in for the time being. Nudity a + !

As to the whole Evil Corp. theme. it's been done. Yet, I can't really dog them for it, as it reflects upon current society pretty closely. Taking on the whole educational loan boondoggle (so what's better, non-rich folks cannot get an education or non-rich folks can get an education but are basically enslaved by their debt load in perpetuity) as a start is no better or worse than taking on any other social issue first. I suspect that they will hit quite a few more before its done with it's two season (or more) run.
post #87 of 1239 Old 06-29-2015, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6300 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
I'm in for the time being. Nudity a + !
Last time I checked, nudity was a no-no on cablenets like USA. Nekkid backsides or a fleeting glance of a side-boob don't count.
post #88 of 1239 Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
AMC is available on slingTV
https://www.sling.com/
The others, unfortunately not.
No DVR, no sale. I don't watch live, I don't want unskippable commercials and I don't want to be at the mercy of when streaming content rolls off the list of available episodes. I want to be able to record and store episodes until I get the chance to watch them.

Further, no way to receive and record local TV channels all in one place means no sale.

Finally, they're still missing several channels I watch periodically, such as SciFi, TMC, FX and HDNet Movies.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 06-30-2015 at 10:27 AM.
post #89 of 1239 Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
No DVR, no sale. I don't watch live, I don't want unskippable commercials and I don't want to be at the mercy of when streaming content rolls off the list of available episodes. I want to be able to record and store episodes until I get the chance to watch them.

Further, no way to receive and record local TV channels all in one place means no sale.

Finally, they're still missing several channels I watch periodically, such as SciFi, TMC, FX and HDNet Movies.
There's also talk that Sling's bandwidth is adequate for non-live streaming, maybe even reasonable amounts of live TV since it gets spread among time zones, but live sports kill it...

CC

post #90 of 1239 Old 06-30-2015, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Last time I checked, nudity was a no-no on cablenets like USA. Nekkid backsides or a fleeting glance of a side-boob don't count.
Well, I happen to LIKE Nekkid backsides, so my "+" stands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page