Mr. Robot - USA Network - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 742Likes

post #1141 of 1193 Old 10-06-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6562 Post(s)
Liked: 6318
Now that is how you start off a final season. To add commercial free premier. Props to USA for allowing this happen (commercial free) twice. Hopefully folks don’t put off waiting because there will be major spoilers on the interwebs.
aaronwt and Zookster like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1193 Old 10-08-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1782
Poor Angela. I wonder if Whiterose's "project" can be used bring her back?

That was a great twist involving Dom's mom's dinner guest. I guess I should've seen it coming, but that woman was obviously cast to be the last person you'd suspect to threaten to cut Dom's mom from mouth to C-word.
aaronwt and Ph8te like this.
post #1143 of 1193 Old 10-08-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked: 954
How does the Red Army get away with half the stuff they do in the US?

Has US become such a weakling that China can do whatever it wants to US citizens on US soil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 1193 Old 10-08-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Has US become such a weakling that China can do whatever it wants to US citizens on US soil?
Part of that is covered by having moles in the FBI to help cover up their dirty work. But with the Five-Nine hack creating a near-post-apocalyptic society, and undoubtedly an internal refugee crisis as citizens roam in search of jobs, shelter, and food like during the Great Depression, I'm sure law enforcement doesn't have the resources to pursue every disappearance.
Ph8te likes this.
post #1145 of 1193 Old 10-08-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:

TV show.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #1146 of 1193 Old 10-08-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Part of that is covered by having moles in the FBI to help cover up their dirty work. But with the Five-Nine hack creating a near-post-apocalyptic society, and undoubtedly an internal refugee crisis as citizens roam in search of jobs, shelter, and food like during the Great Depression, I'm sure law enforcement doesn't have the resources to pursue every disappearance.
Except I was surprised to see them depict some normalcy, with people out around the Holidays in Manhattan.
post #1147 of 1193 Old 10-08-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Except I was surprised to see them depict some normalcy, with people out around the Holidays in Manhattan.

They’ve done that the entire series though. Even at their worst there are people still people living somewhat normal lives. With 5/9 being reversed I’m sure that things are even more back to “normal”.

As far as how they get away with it, help from FBI and other law agencies helps that along with being able to erase electronic tracks makes a big difference.
Zookster likes this.
post #1148 of 1193 Old 10-13-2019, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
I watched a few recap videos before watching S04E01. I have to say if someone gave me a quiz about season 3 before I watched the recap videos I would have fared rather poorly. I had forgotten quite a bit.
karlsch likes this.
post #1149 of 1193 Old 10-14-2019, 11:29 AM

Another excellent episode. We are starting to see the plans being laid out. Price choosing a side and seriously messing with whiterose. Eventually someone will stop caring if they know their inevitable end.
post #1150 of 1193 Old 10-14-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 81
We still don't know exactly what the machine is supposed to be, aren't we?
post #1151 of 1193 Old 10-14-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post

We do not. Nothing outside of hints “in show”. I’m sure ARG may have more details, but I haven’t been looking into all of the Easter eggs, ARG type stuff this season.
post #1152 of 1193 Old 10-14-2019, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If the Dark Army can kill any FBI agent, why do they bother having Dom give some BS cover story about their former mole?

Seems like they would have little to fear from the FBI.

They got poor Dom terrified.
post #1153 of 1193 Old 10-15-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If the Dark Army can kill any FBI agent, why do they bother having Dom give some BS cover story about their former mole?

Seems like they would have little to fear from the FBI.

They got poor Dom terrified.
By Dom accusing Santiago of being a double agent with drug cartels, it can help explain away anything dirty he might have done while working as a Dark Army mole in the FBI. It's about cleaning up his messes, like the missing garage camera footage, and deflecting suspicions of other Dark Army moles like Dom.

Just because the FBI wouldn't really be able to take down the Dark Army doesn't mean they don't prefer to operate in the shadows by avoiding investigations and any publicity that may bring.
aaronwt and Ph8te like this.
post #1154 of 1193 Old 10-15-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked: 3313
Quote:
The show dropped a lot of subtle hints that Whiterose is building

Spoiler!

But that seems like much too fantastical a sci-fi concept for a series that otherwise doesn't have much sci-fi in it (other than the fact that it's set in an alternate universe 2015 where the national economy collapsed due to a cyber terror hack).
Keenan likes this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #1155 of 1193 Old 10-15-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
By Dom accusing Santiago of being a double agent with drug cartels, it can help explain away anything dirty he might have done while working as a Dark Army mole in the FBI. It's about cleaning up his messes, like the missing garage camera footage, and deflecting suspicions of other Dark Army moles like Dom.

Just because the FBI wouldn't really be able to take down the Dark Army doesn't mean they don't prefer to operate in the shadows by avoiding investigations and any publicity that may bring.
They outright shot up the FBI when Dom was in China.

I don't think they have a shred of fear about the FBI.

Either WR and the Dark Army are all powerful and operate with impunity anywhere, including the US or them worrying about the FBI is BS.

They can't have it both ways.
post #1156 of 1193 Old 10-15-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They outright shot up the FBI when Dom was in China.

I don't think they have a shred of fear about the FBI.

Either WR and the Dark Army are all powerful and operate with impunity anywhere, including the US or them worrying about the FBI is BS.

They can't have it both ways.
If the Dark Army isn't concerned about being investigated and exposed by US law enforcement agencies, why would they go to the trouble of framing Tyrell for the five-nine hack and Trent and Mobley for the terrorist attack blowing up all those buildings?
post #1157 of 1193 Old 10-15-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's exactly my point, they haven't shown a reason for them to have any fear.

The FBI doesn't seem to have a clue about it.

You would like to believe the US intel community is aware of DA and WR. They may not know the things Dom and Elliot have seen or discovered but you would think they'd have some ongoing investigation.

Instead, Dom only has to mention the one guy's name and just like that, the DA gets rid of him.

Doubtful the FBI operates like cells, with information not spreading up to the top.

I understand Dom is probably suffering from PTSD and is fearful for her life and the life of her mother. But she's a terrible FBI agent for bottling up what she knows.

Sure there have been American FBI or other intelligence community people who've spied for the Soviets but it's a very low number. It's not easy to isolate them and pick them off or turn them. The Soviets did it by bribing agents, who had modest salaries. Aldrich Ames had money problems but was essentially greedy.

In this world, I guess terror works on trained FBI and intel agents.

But I understand why the show has to have this context, that Elliott, who apparently has a second alter ego besides Mr. Robot, and the ragtag F-Society are up against this omnipotent force and the US govt. is essentially powerless to do anything about it. So it's Elliot who has to save the world and defeat WR. He can't go to the authorities of a superpower nation, because apparently they're powerless in this universe.

Maybe in the end we'll find out all the events of the series were all imagined by this deranged kid.
post #1158 of 1193 Old 10-15-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 11201
Quote:
Maybe in the end we'll find out all the events of the series were all imagined by this deranged kid.

Maybe he will wake up next to Emily Hartley (Suzanne Pleshette)
aaronwt and Garrett Adams like this.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #1159 of 1193 Old 10-15-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
That's exactly my point, they haven't shown a reason for them to have any fear.

The FBI doesn't seem to have a clue about it.

You would like to believe the US intel community is aware of DA and WR. They may not know the things Dom and Elliot have seen or discovered but you would think they'd have some ongoing investigation.

Instead, Dom only has to mention the one guy's name and just like that, the DA gets rid of him.

Doubtful the FBI operates like cells, with information not spreading up to the top.

I understand Dom is probably suffering from PTSD and is fearful for her life and the life of her mother. But she's a terrible FBI agent for bottling up what she knows.

Sure there have been American FBI or other intelligence community people who've spied for the Soviets but it's a very low number. It's not easy to isolate them and pick them off or turn them. The Soviets did it by bribing agents, who had modest salaries. Aldrich Ames had money problems but was essentially greedy.

In this world, I guess terror works on trained FBI and intel agents.

But I understand why the show has to have this context, that Elliott, who apparently has a second alter ego besides Mr. Robot, and the ragtag F-Society are up against this omnipotent force and the US govt. is essentially powerless to do anything about it. So it's Elliot who has to save the world and defeat WR. He can't go to the authorities of a superpower nation, because apparently they're powerless in this universe.

I mean the DA have strategically placed operatives. That is what makes them so dangerous. On top of that their leader is an government official which gives them extra leverage/connections on the inside. We know the government is aware of the DA, but the DA hasn’t been “cracked”/infiltrated outside of what we have seen. The consequences of defying them are steep and in the end those consequences and leverage are usually enough for the selected people they have in their pocket. Having a few people in the right positions is all you ever really need to stifle investigations. When it comes down to it there are very few people that would knowingly sacrifice themselves AND their family to be the “stand up” people. Sacrificing oneself is easy, Dom was ready for that, but she couldn’t sacrifice her mother and any of the rest of her family (which is what the DA promised to do). It’s great if you would knowingly do that, but I can understand it being a difficult if impossible decision for someone to make regardless of the outcome.
Zookster likes this.
post #1160 of 1193 Old 10-20-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Some Phillip Glass music in the latest episode I watched. Love hearing his music in the mainstream. Same track was used in The Watchmen as well.
post #1161 of 1193 Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Some Phillip Glass music in the latest episode I watched. Love hearing his music in the mainstream. Same track was used in The Watchmen as well.
The music was from Glass' score for Koyaanisqatsi. The episode's opening montage was done in the style of that film, and some of the footage may have even come from it.
Keenan and shivaji like this.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #1162 of 1193 Old 11-04-2019, 07:07 AM

It's time we talk.

Masterpiece of an episode.

I'm speechless. ;-)
Keenan, Ph8te and phildaant like this.
post #1163 of 1193 Old 11-04-2019, 09:28 AM

Lots of little references sprinkled throughout this episode (Speed being the major one) as well as finally proving that Die Hard IS a Christmas movie.
post #1164 of 1193 Old 11-04-2019, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 492
[QUOTE=CarlosFo;58773508]It's time we talk.

Masterpiece of an episode.I'm speechless. ;-)[/QUOTE,]

And--it followed the episode of a week ago which seemed to be Sam Esmail's own take on the classic "Pine Barrens" episode of The Sopranos! (the fictional upstate NY town had the same name as the one in Sopranos!)

My God, this latest episode was such a masterpiece of filmmaking that you kinda wish that some of the Greats, such as Kubrick, Serling, and Hitchcock were still with us and able to watch that edge-of-your-seat chase sequence. What Esmail did with this most recent installment was nothing short of pure genius. And--he did it with almost no dialog!

The homage to Die Hard was so overwhelming that I kept expecting Bruce Willis to show up!
archiguy and phildaant like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 11-04-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #1165 of 1193 Old 11-04-2019, 10:48 AM

The only thing is, Elliot getting successfully away from the police was quite a stretch, imho.
And either Rami Malek is really not a good runner or he was acting like a bad one, which would make it even more absurd being able to outrun the two cops. At times it looked slightly hilarious how he ran, almost comical.
CruelInventions and phildaant like this.
post #1166 of 1193 Old 11-04-2019, 11:42 AM

I'm a little torn on this episode. It was very well directed and suspenseful, but all it really amounts to is a little heist caper that, at the end of the day, feels kind of like filler. That plot point of needing to break into the place could have been covered with one scene in another episode.
phildaant likes this.

Josh Z

post #1167 of 1193 Old 11-04-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

He knew all the passwords and that didn't look like some web realtor, with the data centers all over the place.
phildaant likes this.
post #1168 of 1193 Old 11-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
The only thing is, Elliot getting successfully away from the police was quite a stretch...at times it looked slightly hilarious how he ran, almost comical.
LOL! I still wanna know how it was possible to get hit by an SUV, laid out flat on the street in traffic, and then suddenly just spring up and run away, jump about thirty feet from an elevated walk to some trees below, then get into his waiting sister's car on the parkway, making his escape--with all the NYPD guys less than a block behind him at any time during the chase. Obviously, Elliot not only has a great smartphone, he's got superhuman powers!
phildaant likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #1169 of 1193 Old 11-04-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
it just goes to show once again, for anyone who might find themselves running from the law, keep your eyes on the road ahead, so you don't needlessly slam into obstacles, especially cars. Only when things are clear ahead, give a quick glance back at your pursuers to judge how fast one needs to beat feet. Also, don't run down the middle of a road, not a good idea to compete with moving cars. Of course when all else fails, throw yourself over a bridge and hope for a soft landing and an opportune pick-up
phildaant likes this.

Last edited by shivaji; 11-04-2019 at 02:01 PM.
post #1170 of 1193 Old 11-04-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They must have spent money and effort to get the permits and set up crews to film in the streets and central park.

Was kind of entertaining but not sure it advances the plot much. They have a few episodes to wrap up the show so not sure this was the best use of screen time.
Josh Z and phildaant like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page