Mr. Robot - USA Network - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 677Likes

post #91 of 1128 Old 06-30-2015, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Well, I happen to LIKE Nekkid backsides, so my "+" stands.
I'll take nekkid backsides for $200, Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1128 Old 06-30-2015, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked: 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
I'll take nekkid backsides for $200, Alex.
WooHoo! It's the Daily Double!
post #93 of 1128 Old 07-01-2015, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
WooHoo! It's the Daily Double!
Let's not get too cheeky here...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 1128 Old 07-01-2015, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked: 2348
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Let's not get too cheeky here...
I'd never give you a bum rap ...

post #95 of 1128 Old 07-02-2015, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Is the company really called Evil Corp or is that just what some people derogatorily call it? I thought the latter. I couldn't stay up to watch more than the first couple of minutes of episode 2, but when Mr. Linux called the company that, and I went back to check with CC on, I thought that perhaps this was an Eliot dream. In any case, I realize any response will result in a self induced spoiler. I will watch tonight to catch up.
post #96 of 1128 Old 07-02-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post
Is the company really called Evil Corp or is that just what some people derogatorily call it? I thought the latter. I couldn't stay up to watch more than the first couple of minutes of episode 2, but when Mr. Linux called the company that, and I went back to check with CC on, I thought that perhaps this was an Eliot dream. In any case, I realize any response will result in a self induced spoiler. I will watch tonight to catch up.
I'm not sure I'm gonna hang in there on this show, I thought the chat on the rail was ok until the end, just didn't sit right with me, got to have some shocking event in every show, seemed like a cheap attempt at something or taking a page from GoT.
post #97 of 1128 Old 07-02-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3838 Post(s)
Liked: 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOPA View Post
Is the company really called Evil Corp or is that just what some people derogatorily call it? I thought the latter.
The name of the company is ECorp. Elliot's nickname for it is Evil Corp. Because he is schizophrenic and the show is filtered through his perspective, that name then shows up everywhere else. When someone says "ECorp," he hears it as "Evil Corp."

Elliot is an unreliable narrator. It's ambiguous how much of what we see and hear on the show is real or just in his head.
JohnDG, Stereodude, Keenan and 6 others like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #98 of 1128 Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4240 Post(s)
Liked: 2990
I'll admit I wasn't expected the push at the end.
post #99 of 1128 Old 07-02-2015, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6280 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
I think they foreshadowed it when they panned down. I do like the show and how we are seeing things from Elliot's POV. It throws the reality we are seeing into a tailspin as we don't know if this is just in his head or actually happening.

Sent from nowhere
post #100 of 1128 Old 07-02-2015, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15456
Elliott is looking rather jaundice. He needs to pull that hoodie off and get some vitamin D. Hope this isn't a Fight Club all in his head crap.

post #101 of 1128 Old 07-02-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I think they foreshadowed it when they panned down. I do like the show and how we are seeing things from Elliot's POV. It throws the reality we are seeing into a tailspin as we don't know if this is just in his head or actually happening.

Sent from nowhere
That can be a very effective plot device if not used as a crutch to prop up poor writing. True Detective mastered it with the narrative describing events one way, then showing what actually happened...

I'm still skeptical that USA is way outside its wheelhouse with this kind of show...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #102 of 1128 Old 07-02-2015, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I'll admit I wasn't expected the push at the end.
It was kind of telegraphed in bright neon letters from the moment he was asked to "take a seat".
Ph8te likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #103 of 1128 Old 07-02-2015, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Elliot is an unreliable narrator. It's ambiguous how much of what we see and hear on the show is real or just in his head.
After this episode, I am becoming convinced most of the story is not reality-based, but what is in his diseased noggin'.
The interactions with Mr. Robot is especially telling IMO.

Many of the characters seem to exist to validate his world view or his emotional desires.

I don't know if I can become an addict (pun intended) of a series like this...
Although I was a huge fan of Dexter, that series was an entirely different animal altogether.

ltownsend and gwsat like this.
post #104 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked: 5764
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
After this episode, I am becoming convinced most of the story is not reality-based, but what is in his diseased noggin'.
The interactions with Mr. Robot is especially telling IMO.
I agree that we can't tell how many of what we are shown as Elliot's perceptions are real or merely figments of his drug addled mind, which is one of the reasons I find this show to be so fascinating. Elliot is a remarkable unreliable narrator so we are just going to have to wait to learn how much, if any, of what he perceives is the real thing. So far, the show reminds me of a Darren Aronofsky film.
Keenan likes this.
post #105 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I agree that we can't tell how many of what we are shown as Elliot's perceptions are real or merely figments of his drug addled mind,
It isn't the drugs that would fuel a departure from reality like this...it's the schizophrenia.

Quote:
So far, the show reminds me of a Darren Aronofsky film.
I gotta agree.

post #106 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
Quote:
It isn't the drugs that would fuel a departure from reality like this...it's the schizophrenia.

I gotta agree.
Though I'm on board with your theory that his experiences with Mr. Robot could be a hallucination, I don't believe he's schizophrenic. He doesn't show the classic symptoms of disorganized thinking and speech, though other observed symptoms are consistent (see Wikipedia list of symptoms below).

No way he's a top notch computer hacker, who can hold down a job and have any motivation and attention span to take down bad people on the side, with the level of schizophrenic condition that would also be the cause of his hallucinations, especially considering he's also using drugs, which alone would normally inhibit most people from functioning at that level. If he does turn out to be a full blown schizophrenic in the show, it would be another case of Hollywood misrepresenting a specific type of mental illness.

Quote:
Individuals with schizophrenia may experience hallucinations (most reported are hearing voices), delusions (often bizarre or persecutory in nature), and disorganized thinking and speech. The last may range from loss of train of thought, to sentences only loosely connected in meaning, to speech that is not understandable known as word salad in severe cases. Social withdrawal, sloppiness of dress and hygiene, and loss of motivation and judgment are all common in schizophrenia.[10] There is often an observable pattern of emotional difficulty, for example lack of responsiveness.[11] Impairment in social cognition is associated with schizophrenia,[12] as are symptoms of paranoia. Social isolation commonly occurs.[13] Difficulties in working and long-term memory, attention, executive functioning, and speed of processing also commonly occur.[4]
Fyrebird likes this.
post #107 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 12:55 PM

Huh?
I thought I recalled from the pilot an explanation stating schizophrenia...maybe I was imagining it.

Garrett Adams likes this.
post #108 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
His employers must have a pretty lax drug policy. I'm sure Opium is on the approved list.
post #109 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 1480
Quote:
Huh?
I thought I recalled from the pilot an explanation stating schizophrenia...maybe I was imagining it.
To the best of my recollection Eliot only ever acknowledged suffering from social anxiety (in the opening scene). In his first session with Krista, she does mention his anger issues and delusions (seeing men in black) and the meds she put him on for them. But that right there is a problem because she is specifically referred to as a psychologist, and psychologists in the state of New York (in fact, in most states) can't prescribe meds. So given that inconsistency, anything is possible in this show in regards to Eliot's actual mental condition, symptoms, and treatment.

I've personally interacted with schizophrenics before, and Eliot, as presented thus far in the show, is simply too calm (we haven't seen any outbursts), clear-thinking (he can solve difficult problems), self-aware (he's aware he's talking to a voice in his head), perceptive (he's able to accurately access other people's mental/emotional states), and goal-oriented (he's able to complete complex multi-step tasks to completion).
Fyrebird likes this.

Last edited by Zookster; 07-03-2015 at 01:37 PM.
post #110 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
His employers must have a pretty lax drug policy. I'm sure Opium is on the approved list.
A lot of companies have given up drug testing since so many things can set it off. Most figure, as long as you come to work each day and do your job properly, they don't care what substances you take on your own time.

The various places I've done work for in the past no longer bother checking. It's not worth the expense since most people pass, anyway. For the few that don't, they either still perform well enough (and avoid showing up high), or they are noticeably affected and don't last long.

Either way, testing is not as common as many think.

Companies these days are more concerned with how stupid you act on social media.
post #111 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Only two episodes and everyone seems to be concluding it's mostly or all in Elliot's head.

If that is the gimmick to this show, it's going to be all downhill.
post #112 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
Mmmmm...opium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
So given that inconsistency, anything is possible in this show in regards to Eliot's actual mental condition, symptoms, and treatment.

I've personally interacted with schizophrenics before, and Eliot, as presented thus far in the show, is simply too calm (we haven't seen any outbursts), clear-thinking (he can solve difficult problems), self-aware (he's aware he's talking to a voice in his head), perceptive (he's able to accurately access other people's mental/emotional states), and goal-oriented (he's able to complete complex multi-step tasks to completion).
In that case, I won't get anxious about it...otherwise, that would be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
A lot of companies have given up drug testing since so many things can set it off. Most figure, as long as you come to work each day and do your job properly, they don't care what substances you take on your own time.
And that's the way it should be.
What people do on their own time is no f_cking business of their employers.

Quote:
The various places I've done work for in the past no longer bother checking. It's not worth the expense since most people pass, anyway. For the few that don't, they either still perform well enough.
It's funny how testing was never considered decades ago for alcohol abuse (see Mad Men).

Quote:
Companies these days are more concerned with how stupid you act on social media.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

If it becomes more obvious, viewers will drop off like flies.

post #113 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Only two episodes and everyone seems to be concluding it's mostly or all in Elliot's head.

I wouldn't say that. We are seeing things from his POV. We know his mental condition so part of the "mystery" is what is actually real and what is not. Everything won't be just in his head, but some of it very possibly could be. Usually we see things from the outside with not that many tricks. Reminds me a lot of Fight Club.

Sent from nowhere
post #114 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I wouldn't say that. We are seeing things from his POV. We know his mental condition so part of the "mystery" is what is actually real and what is not. Everything won't be just in his head, but some of it very possibly could be.
This lack of knowing is the problem.
Elliot's reality parameters need to be defined for the viewers.

We have no idea if the showrunners will use this open-ended question as protection from writing themselves into a corner, which is something we have seen before and is all too common in shows like this.
I mean, trust them NOT to jerk our chains after we have invested a lot of valuable time with the show?
Not many are willing to do that.

post #115 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
I don't think they do, I think that ambiguity is a major part of what makes the show interesting.

Quote:

We have no idea if the showrunners will use this open-ended question as protection from writing themselves into a corner, which is something we have seen before and is all too common in shows like this.
I mean, trust them NOT to jerk our chains after we have invested a lot of valuable time with the show?
Yes, there's no telling what the writers will do, we can only hope that they don't take the easy way out.
Stereodude and Ph8te like this.
post #116 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:

The show for renewed for a second season, so I'll give it some leeway we are only 2 episodes in and I would hope still in the "setup" portion of the story telling. Hopefully we get clues to see what if anything is not real. For a moment in the last episode I thought the meeting with ECorp was in his head as the room looked empty when the camera faced him at an angle. Of course the over people wouldn't be there but it was just a quick thought.

Sent from nowhere
post #117 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 04:06 PM

At this point, all we do is hope.

However, the rope will be short with me.
If I see some sloppy, sneaky manipulation going on, it gets dumped.

post #118 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15456
Quote:
At this point, all we do is hope.

However, the rope will be short with me.
If I see some sloppy, sneaky manipulation going on, it gets dumped.
Yep. My finger is hovering over the delete button.

post #119 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 915
They can't let it go too long if it's all in his head.

They can't wait a couple of seasons later and around episode 30, show that the preceding 29 episodes were all figments.

For one thing, there would be too many events to recall how they could have been imaginary vs. real.

And once they do the reveal, then what?

St. Elsewhere put it all at the end, though how an autistic kid had these imagined scenes of adult couples dealing with relationship issues is not explained.
post #120 of 1128 Old 07-03-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
The pilot was terrific.
Finally watched ep01 and ep02 last night... really like the hole vibe of the show.
Hope they keep up the good work!

"we're still here!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page