Mr. Robot - USA Network - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 818Likes

post #1231 of 1239 Old 12-03-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 1854
I really enjoyed the ending of White Rose and Dark Army overall, except for the last bit where Elliot walks out of the front of the hotel directly across the street from where WR and DA are. I know they had to do it for dramatic effect, so WR could catch a glimpse of Elliot at the moment of her undoing. But there's no reason for Elliot to walk past them at the moment. The guy's supposed to be smart, getting in and out of the most secure facilities. If he couldn't wait 5 minutes for WR and DA to leave the area, couldn't Elliot have at least snuck out through the kitchen or loading dock of the building he was in?
CruelInventions likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1239 Old 12-03-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
When you are experienced errors rarely happen (note I say rarely, not ever). With the short stints we see I wouldn’t be surprised that they don’t make errors. While the code itself is “complicated” the commands are ones usually done over and over and over. Nothing overly complicated to someone who codes almost every day (IMO). It would have been interesting to see something not work because they were “off” by a character.
But those scripts that they were executing for the first and only time, they're impervious to bugs?
post #1233 of 1239 Old 12-03-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
C'mon man, let it go. This is not a show about how well scripts and code run.
Ph8te and iamian like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 1239 Old 12-03-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6646 Post(s)
Liked: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
But those scripts that they were executing for the first and only time, they're impervious to bugs?

Impervious? No, but for the sake of the show they are not going to show the leg work where mistakes are made. This is not a computer lit course, it is entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I really enjoyed the ending of White Rose and Dark Army overall, except for the last bit where Elliot walks out of the front of the hotel directly across the street from where WR and DA are. I know they had to do it for dramatic effect, so WR could catch a glimpse of Elliot at the moment of her undoing. But there's no reason for Elliot to walk past them at the moment. The guy's supposed to be smart, getting in and out of the most secure facilities. If he couldn't wait 5 minutes for WR and DA to leave the area, couldn't Elliot have at least snuck out through the kitchen or loading dock of the building he was in?

Yes they could have, but then as you say the dramatic effect would have been lost he could have also walked the opposite direction and never seen them, but of course the dramatic effect would have been lost. It just added to the failure that Whiterose was experiencing at the time. Elliot who they had been looking for all this time was right next door easy to capture/take out, but again he slipped out of their grasp.
post #1235 of 1239 Old 12-03-2019, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 973
No it isn’t about computers but Elliott is.

That’s why they show a lot of the screen when he’s doing these hacks or in this episode, you see all the verbiage from the scripts echoing out what is happening.

He could be a computer guru but the odds of knowing enough about the processes of a bank in Cyprus to execute the hack on the first attempt is unlikely.

They do try to at least get the lingo of the hack culture right. But not sure their computer consultants would sign off on the technical plausibility.
post #1236 of 1239 Old 12-04-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
No it isn’t about computers but Elliott is.

That’s why they show a lot of the screen when he’s doing these hacks or in this episode, you see all the verbiage from the scripts echoing out what is happening.

He could be a computer guru but the odds of knowing enough about the processes of a bank in Cyprus to execute the hack on the first attempt is unlikely.

They do try to at least get the lingo of the hack culture right. But not sure their computer consultants would sign off on the technical plausibility.

Almost All systems are built in languages that he’d mostly be familiar with. Do you realize how much commonality there is in the industry? Major fortune 100, 500, 1000 companies running on decades old software. The tech plausibility is fine. They do stretch some things for Hollywood sake, but this is a very strange hill to die on for this show.

You’ve also fundamentally misunderstood this show if you think Elliot is “all about computers”.
Keenan and CruelInventions like this.
post #1237 of 1239 Old 12-04-2019, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 3401
Quote:
I think this show would get into a lot of trouble if it provided real instructions a viewer could follow for how to hack a bank.

It's the same reason the chemistry in Breaking Bad isn't an actual formula for making meth.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #1238 of 1239 Old 12-05-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4071 Post(s)
Liked: 3798
From Vulture, Michael Cristofer talks about playing Philip Price as well as Truxton Spangler in the short-lived but excellent series "Rubicon".

Mr. Robot’s Michael Cristofer on How to Sell a Great Monologue
post #1239 of 1239 Old 12-05-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
From Vulture, Michael Cristofer talks about playing Philip Price as well as Truxton Spangler in the short-lived but excellent series "Rubicon".

Mr. Robot’s Michael Cristofer on How to Sell a Great Monologue

I miss Rubicon. It was just a tad early for it’s time. I think now it would have been a critical hit and a lot of folks would have been watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page