Mr. Robot - USA Network - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 677Likes

post #241 of 1128 Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post
oink, I moved to Paradise, CA...it's in the redwoods north of Chico. Direct was supposed to hook me up immediately, but I had to cancel...when they finally got out here...too many trees. Long story short, was with out service until mid-June and haven't watched as much TV or any movies to comment on.
Is Paradise really paradise?
Anyway, glad to see you haven't left us.

I had the same issue regarding trees when I bought the house in Sunriver.
Big Ponderosa Pines were blocking the southern sky.
Fortunately, the installer was accustomed to dealing with this kind of thing and we did manage to get a strong signal.

Quote:
Loved the pilot, but found the last episode very dark and depressing. Not sure if I'm going to hang or not.
I don't think this series is really designed to be of a "feel good" nature.
However, it is topical, particularly the references to the relationship between the Little People and the PTB.

Ph8te likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1128 Old 07-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Insightful recap from Vulture,

Mr. Robot Recap: Casualties in Every Revolution

This show is getting better and better as we go, to the point where I'm cautiously optimistic that it will become a long-lasting example of the finest TV has to offer. It's only been 4 episodes, but hopefully my optimism becomes a reality.
Thanks for sharing. Now I understand what the fish meant I think...
post #243 of 1128 Old 07-17-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Is Paradise really paradise?
Anyway, glad to see you haven't left us.
Yeah, really Paradise...nice little town...beautiful house...just me and my cat. Wife for now, wasn't invited...will make it official next year...a good thing.

I had the same issue regarding trees when I bought the house in Sunriver.
Big Ponderosa Pines were blocking the southern sky.
Fortunately, the installer was accustomed to dealing with this kind of thing and we did manage to get a strong signal.

Quote:
I don't think this series is really designed to be of a "feel good" nature.
However, it is topical, particularly the references to the relationship between the Little People and the PTB.
I realize...there are parts that I like a bunch...we'll see. I think part of my problem is my Mits 57" DLP is about to give up the ghost even with a lamp replacement. The dark scenes are almost invisible. Getting a new lamp today. If that doesn't help, it's off to BB in Chico.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 1128 Old 07-17-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
just me and my cat.
Cats RULE.

Quote:
Wife for now, wasn't invited...will make it official next year...a good thing.
Been there a couple of times myself...NEVER ever easy.

Quote:
I think part of my problem is my Mits 57" DLP is about to give up the ghost even with a lamp replacement. The dark scenes are almost invisible. Getting a new lamp today. If that doesn't help, it's off to BB in Chico.
My DLP has seen better days too.
At this point, my only real complaint is the fan or color wheel is louder than I wish.

While be buying a 4K sometime between the fall and EOY.

post #245 of 1128 Old 07-17-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6282 Post(s)
Liked: 5930
Do you know what DLPs are perfect for? Rotisserie conversions...I haven't had a good pig roast in awhile maybe it's time to have one

Sent from nowhere
post #246 of 1128 Old 07-17-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2 days after I got service, my lamp blew. Immediately, I said fthat and looked at BBs open box items in Chico...saw a couple, so drove down there. The had a 2015 Samsung Curve 4k, for 1600.00 w/ stand. It sells for $5k. Sold. We couldn't fit it in my Avalon. So delivery right? Went back in and they started talking about the complications of cancelling the sale and re-doing it and how it would take at least a half hour...maybe more...or they could hit my card again, essentially selling me a gift card and that I'd be credited the original purchase back...probably the next day. Said no way...cancel and redo the order...ok, come back in a half hour. Ok. Went to a Togos to have a sandwich...things move slower up here. It took a 1/2 hour to get my sandwich...it was 115 degrees outside and even the aircon was struggling. So I ate half and went back to the store an hour later. The transaction hadn't cancelled yet...was having 2nd thoughts at Togos thinking I really don't need to spend the money on an impulse buy...someone was trying to tell me something...so I said no...we're done. Funny the cancellation took place immediately.

After coming home, I immediately started regretting not taking that deal. Got a loaner bulb the next day and ordered a new one which I'm getting today. However, I should have taken that deal and had a great TV at a fraction of it's MSRP, maybe for the next 10 years...

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #247 of 1128 Old 07-17-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Do you know what DLPs are perfect for? Rotisserie conversions...I haven't had a good pig roast in awhile maybe it's time to have one
THAT, sir, is uncalled for!

Spoiler!

Quote:
After coming home, I immediately started regretting not taking that deal. Got a loaner bulb the next day and ordered a new one which I'm getting today. However, I should have taken that deal and had a great TV at a fraction of it's MSRP, maybe for the next 10 years...
Yeah, bummer there...
Although I can't handle the curved screen, Samsung does make excellent 4Ks.
Keep your eyes open and maybe another might fall your way.

Ph8te likes this.
post #248 of 1128 Old 07-17-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2312 Post(s)
Liked: 1796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Insightful recap from Vulture,

Mr. Robot Recap: Casualties in Every Revolution

This show is getting better and better as we go, to the point where I'm cautiously optimistic that it will become a long-lasting example of the finest TV has to offer. It's only been 4 episodes, but hopefully my optimism becomes a reality.
And so far no "lock" on the episodes on Hulu where you need to log into your cable/sat provide to watch. That's not always true with USA shows. Maybe they know that this show draws a lot of cable cutters and locking will send over to TPB.
post #249 of 1128 Old 07-17-2015, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
And so far no "lock" on the episodes on Hulu where you need to log into your cable/sat provide to watch. That's not always true with USA shows. Maybe they know that this show draws a lot of cable cutters and locking will send over to TPB.
I just suspended my satellite service and was surprised I was able to watch this week's episode last night on Hulu. I was sure they would make me wait a week or something.
post #250 of 1128 Old 07-18-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
Totally agree! I can deal with trippy scenes if there's some intersting symbolism at least but I really didn't see any. Basically nothing actually happened in this week's episode.
Utterly horrible episode, if they keep up with the drug trips I'm gone. I don't mind Elliot having some issues but this stuff is just not worth the effort, especially when we never know what's real and what isn't.

The drugs I see here are the ones the writers are taking when they do these eps.
JoeTiVo, rlindo and Vorkosigan like this.
post #251 of 1128 Old 07-18-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Utterly horrible episode, if they keep up with the drug trips I'm gone. I don't mind Elliot having some issues but this stuff is just not worth the effort, especially when we never know what's real and what isn't.
With Elliot going cold turkey, I think there will be less of it.

We now know Mr. Robot isn't real (except to Elliot) and what the plan of attack is and its target.
We are getting to the center of the plot now.

post #252 of 1128 Old 07-18-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
With Elliot going cold turkey, I think there will be less of it.

We now know Mr. Robot isn't real (except to Elliot) and what the plan of attack is and its target.
We are getting to the center of the plot now.
Sure...maybe...and the bulb worked...thank god.

post #253 of 1128 Old 07-18-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 916
So at least they featured a number of scenes without Elliot, including other members of fsociety.

They can't be hallucinations?
post #254 of 1128 Old 07-18-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So at least they featured a number of scenes without Elliot, including other members of fsociety.

They can't be hallucinations?
I don't see why not, unless it's a violation of some cinematography rule...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #255 of 1128 Old 07-18-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 916
So everything happening could be in his imagination, including whatever the E-Corp is doing.
post #256 of 1128 Old 07-18-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
So everything happening could be in his imagination, including whatever the E-Corp is doing.
Ahhh, don't start the thread down that road...we will end up with headaches tonite and hangovers tomorrow.

post #257 of 1128 Old 07-18-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:

So far at least one member of fsociety has passed he Tyler Durten test. It's not all in his head that is for sure.

Sent from nowhere
post #258 of 1128 Old 07-19-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Perhaps everything is a figment of Mr. Robot's imagination!

BTW In a masochistic act, I watched that last Twilight movie and Rami Malek was in there as a vampire. And can actually smile! . What a horrible movie!!!
post #259 of 1128 Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Pretty good chance I am out on this show, too boring for me. I also am 1000000% sure its in his head, gave up watching the last episode after noticing the conversation with Slater in the room no one else talks to him. Vice versa.
rlindo likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #260 of 1128 Old 07-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Perhaps Slater is the one daydreaming?
post #261 of 1128 Old 07-19-2015, 02:11 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8980 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Usually Slater is the Kiss of Death for a show.

53TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #262 of 1128 Old 07-19-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Usually Slater is the Kiss of Death for a show.
You keep saying that!
And then I remember...oh, nevermind.

Ph8te likes this.
post #263 of 1128 Old 07-19-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
Pretty good chance I am out on this show, too boring for me. I also am 1000000% sure its in his head, gave up watching the last episode after noticing the conversation with Slater in the room no one else talks to him. Vice versa.
Agreed. I found out about this show yesterday and caught up with the episodes today and wow, I can't believe this show is rated so well. Is this really what has become of what qualifies as good TV to people these days?

You have a creator who apparently decided to take a mish-mash of some movies and make a show of it and then to go with that you have what seems like it may be the Blacklist style of drawing out a storyline (pretty obvious Mr Robot doesn't exist so just be done with this as it isn't going to be some shock reveal) and making episodes mostly be filler.

Then you have a lot of annoying characters there apparently just for the sake of trying to piss off viewers and of course the token homosexual character (every show has to have the token gay person these days) which is fine but now you have another character who may be closeted (and she's a practicing Muslim too! Had to throw the religious aspect in) and maybe 2 others that will be in a bisexual relationship along with another who we know will at least screw a guy to get access to his phone. This would all be fine and dandy if it didn't feel so forced just to try and target a demographic. It's not like Sense8 where the same sex stuff actually fits into the story and show and works well.

As for the drug use, it seems like it is in there to target another demographic (since it isn't just Elliott that we see using drugs) and the drug use of Elliott gives me a vibe that the creator plans to make him out to sort of be like Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad with how he keeps battling the drugs and it screwing with his life.

A very weak show that had great potential but instead the creator went the lazy formulaic route and masked it behind a rip-off of other shows/movies. I'll probably give it one more episode to see if anything of value happens.

Just blows my mind how this show can be so well received.
WaTaGuMp likes this.

Last edited by rlindo; 07-19-2015 at 07:10 PM.
post #264 of 1128 Old 07-19-2015, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Agreed. I found out about this show yesterday and caught up with the episodes today and wow, I can't believe this show is rated so well. Is this really what has become of what qualifies as good TV to people these days?

You have a creator who apparently decided to take a mish-mash of some movies and make a show of it and then to go with that you have what seems like it may be the Blacklist style of drawing out a storyline (pretty obvious Mr Robot doesn't exist so just be done with this as it isn't going to be some shock reveal) and making episodes mostly be filler.

Then you have a lot of annoying characters there apparently just for the sake of trying to piss off viewers and of course the token homosexual character (every show has to have the token gay person these days) which is fine but now you have another character who may be closeted (and she's a practicing Muslim too! Had to throw the religious aspect in) and maybe 2 others that will be in a bisexual relationship along with another who we know will at least screw a guy to get access to his phone. This would all be fine and dandy if it didn't feel so forced just to try and target a demographic. It's not like Sense8 where the same sex stuff actually fits into the story and show and works well.

As for the drug use, it seems like it is in there to target another demographic (since it isn't just Elliott that we see using drugs) and the drug use of Elliott gives me a vibe that the creator plans to make him out to sort of be like Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad with how he keeps battling the drugs and it screwing with his life.

A very weak show that had great potential but instead the creator went the lazy formulaic route and masked it behind a rip-off of other shows/movies. I'll probably give it one more episode to see if anything of value happens.

I liked the very first episode quite a bit, but after that, stale, boring etc.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #265 of 1128 Old 07-19-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:

"Token gay person" esshhhhh it reminds me why I post less and less on the TV section of the forums. Instead of a character just being gay/homosexual they are a "token" character because "every show has to have one". Please what demographic are they targeting? I guess characters can't be gay unless it fits into the story? Or maybe is this some secret agenda being pushed on us (sarcasm).

I wonder what age demo some of the people who are so against this show are. It seems that this show is targeted towards the techno savvy 35 and below crowd. I'm fine with people not liking the show, but sometimes people go a lite too far. Any show today if we choose to go deep enough has another show or movie that we can relate to it. Truly original ideas are very rare these days.

Sent from nowhere
aaronwt and Josh Z like this.
post #266 of 1128 Old 07-19-2015, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
@rlindo : I didn't realize there's a morphine demographic. I don't know what they'd be into. When I was on morphine, I liked The Price Is Right and Happy Days. That was enough drama for me.

I didn't mind the long drug trip because I think they wanted his drug taking to have consequence, not just a thing that he got over in ten minutes.

As for the gay character, it's not token if they show him have sex. That's actual gay dude gaying it hard. Whatever that is, it is not tokenism
post #267 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:

Well I wouldn't put it quite that way but it definitely seems to be trying way too hard to be "edgy" and "controversial" in ways that have nothing to do with hacking, at the expense of character and story development...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #268 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
What happened to the opium? He was all about opium in the first episode, now it's all about morphine. I realize they are both opiates and I would assume similar type highs, etc..., but opium was his drug of choice to start with and now it's like it was morphine all along.
post #269 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
What happened to the opium? He was all about opium in the first episode, now it's all about morphine. I realize they are both opiates and I would assume similar type highs, etc..., but opium was his drug of choice to start with and now it's like it was morphine all along.
I guess things change for drug addicts.

Ph8te likes this.
post #270 of 1128 Old 07-20-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Remember that drug dealer he "busted" that was his supply for his opium. He had to with what was available. Of course as it was said things can change quickly depending on the situation for drug addicts

Sent from nowhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page