Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Mr. Robot - USA Network

This may be my favorite summer show this year -

Read on:

'Mr. Robot' Review: The Best Show Of The Summer And On Track To Be A Modern Classic

Merrill Barr

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

While AMC, FX, HBO, Showtime and a select few others often find themselves at the center of easy to achieve acclaim, the rest of television serves host to shows that while good, hardly ever receive the recognition they deserve… and there’s no network that suffers this fate more than USA. Because it’s home to WWE’s main franchise – Raw – and was once the center stage for fun, but easy to write-off series such as Burn Notice and White Collar, the network’s been unable to gain major acclaim despite being the deliverer of one of the best series on television: Suits. However, the continued willingness of the “viewing elite” to not give the network its due might now be considered an unwritten crime thanks to its latest drama, Mr. Robot.

Starring Rami Malek, the series follows the journey of Elliot, a computer programmer working at a cyber security firm by day and playing the role of vigilante hacker by night. Throughout his life, Elliot’s found it difficult to interact with the living world around him due to an anti-social disorder, but everything changes the night he encounters the biggest hack of his life. However, as he soon learns, the hack was merely the beginnings of a much grander plan being perpetrated by a mysterious man known only by his alias, Mr. Robot.

To say Mr. Robot’s one of the best shows on television based solely on the viewing of its pilot would be hyperbolic, but if that’s the restriction we must work under at the moment, then it’s fair to say Mr. Robot has one of the best kick-offs to any series in a while. The episode moves at a brisk pace that never confuses. At no point does the show feel overly preachy or pretentious. And, most importantly, never are any of the lead characters unlikable. Some of them do walk the line of decent morality, but they aren’t hatable. Based on the pilot, Mr. Robot has nothing but positives going for it.

One of the most important things any good pilot needs is potential. It needs to be able to present various avenues that could be potentially explored in the episodes and seasons to come. Of course there’s no way to go into detail about the routes of Mr. Robot without revealing some heavy spoilers, but what can be said is there are multiple directions by which the show’s plot can travel for weeks, if not years. Come the end of the first episode, the only thing people will be wanting is more of this world.
Phrehdd likes this.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1127 Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Thanks for the heads up. USA network posted the pilot on its website. Might have to check it out.
post #3 of 1127 Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 1654
They've been pushing it on the commercials before movies. One of the first things I (been forced to see -- I really really hate commercials) have seen that looks decent.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1127 Old 05-28-2015, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Will check this one out....thanx for the heads-up.

post #5 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
Been looking forward to this one as well, though I have to wonder just how edgy it can really get being on USA Network.
post #6 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 66
When does it start?
post #7 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Thanks for the heads up ...
I watched the pilot ep on demand ... I'll stick with it so far ...
The show has a slight "Rounders vibe" to it .., cinematography, Voice over narrations, by a "Matt Damon-Ish main character in NYC .....
post #8 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post
When does it start?
June 24th at 10pm
post #9 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15452
Every time I see a commercial for this I immediately start singing the Styx song, Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto...

post #10 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it OK to discuss plot points yet in this thread, since the 1st ep is On Demand & online, or should we wait until 6/24 .....?
post #11 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2306 Post(s)
Liked: 1788
I watched the pilot last night via VUDU. The quality wasn't quite their regular HDX but it did have DD+ audio.
post #12 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Forgot to mention I found the pilot quite edgy and liked it. Now the test is going to be if they can keep up the pace that's in the "setup".
post #13 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6277 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
Is it OK to discuss plot points yet in this thread, since the 1st ep is On Demand & online, or should we wait until 6/24 .....?

Have to wait for the 1st airing 6/24 as not everyone has access or will use various methods to early release.

I enjoyed it, the 'nix CLI was refreshing to see as well as them not dumbing down too much what was going on. Season pass for me as it has a lot of potential. It WILL be interesting to see how they handle the language.

Sent from nowhere
post #14 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It WILL be interesting to see how they handle the language.

I haven't seen it yet, but it surprises me how much profanity they get away with on Suits which is also on USA, so I doubt this show will be any different.
post #15 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but it surprises me how much profanity they get away with on Suits which is also on USA, so I doubt this show will be any different.

Two F bombs caught my ear. I think BB was "allowed" 2 per season so they may have gone for broke

Sent from nowhere
post #16 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
I hope they didn't use up their ration for bum shots :-)

I thought it was well done. The tech is refreshingly not outrageous. Edgier than the usual USA fare. I'll be watching.

Conspiracy shows tend to get more and more convoluted until they become incoherent. I hope they can avoid that.
Ph8te likes this.
post #17 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Been looking forward to this one as well, though I have to wonder just how edgy it can really get being on USA Network.
USA stopped trying to be the "fun caper" network with Graceland. Now they are trying to compete with all the other big cable adult drama networks.

So we've already had torture, corruption and drug cartel assassins with Graceland. Male gigolos and sex workers with Satisfaction. Jokes about sex with horses and many, many penis references with Sirens (which became a good show when they stopped trying to be edgy!)and probably more darker themed shows too that I haven't watched, but USA is definitely aiming for dark skies now instead of blue ones.

post #18 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
USA stopped trying to be the "fun caper" network with Graceland. Now they are trying to compete with all the other big cable adult drama networks.

So we've already had torture, corruption and drug cartel assassins with Graceland. Male gigolos and sex workers with Satisfaction. Jokes about sex with horses and many, many penis references with Sirens (which became a good show when they stopped trying to be edgy!)and probably more darker themed shows too that I haven't watched, but USA is definitely aiming for dark skies now instead of blue ones.
I dropped Graceland after a few episodes thinking "how good could it get on this network?", I guess I should have stuck it out. Suits has always pushed the envelope with language and I loved Sirens, sad to see it was cancelled.
post #19 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I dropped Graceland after a few episodes thinking "how good could it get on this network?", I guess I should have stuck it out. Suits has always pushed the envelope with language and I loved Sirens, sad to see it was cancelled.
What? Noooooo! I missed that news. I was expecting the comedy axe to kill it. That's one more reason I'm not a fan of this change of direction from USA. I liked it when they had fun shows. I can get my "edgy" fix in other places.

I can't vouch for the second season of Graceland because it's still sat on my DVR. From skimming through the AVS thread, you might have made the correct decision.

post #20 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Does the Mr. Robot pilot on USA's website force you to watch commercial breaks? If so I'll wait for it to premiere on cable.
post #21 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
If you discuss plot points before the first official air date (June 24), please enclose them in spoiler tags. (Quick way to get spoiler tags: highlight the text that you want inside the spoiler tags, then hit the S-in-a-box icon.)

You don't need the spoiler tags after the episode has officially aired, since (hopefully) after the episode had aired in Eastern Time those in other time zones will avoid the thread until after it aired in their time zones.

Example of spoilers (no actual spoilers included):
Spoiler!
ltownsend likes this.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #22 of 1127 Old 05-29-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I liked it when they had fun shows.
One man's fun is another man's *****e.

gwsat likes this.
post #23 of 1127 Old 05-30-2015, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
What? Noooooo! I missed that news. I was expecting the comedy axe to kill it. That's one more reason I'm not a fan of this change of direction from USA. I liked it when they had fun shows. I can get my "edgy" fix in other places.

I can't vouch for the second season of Graceland because it's still sat on my DVR. From skimming through the AVS thread, you might have made the correct decision.
Yup, ‘Sirens’ Cancelled By USA After 2 Seasons

I liked it, the characters were all so well defined, even the ancillary members of the cast had distinct personalities. And the humor, dark and funny, but from a Denis Leary project that's to be expected.
post #24 of 1127 Old 05-30-2015, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15452
Watched this on Vudu HDX. It was alright. The second half saved it for me. I'll tune into the series and see where it goes.

post #25 of 1127 Old 05-30-2015, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Does the Mr. Robot pilot on USA's website force you to watch commercial breaks? If so I'll wait for it to premiere on cable.
On Fios On Demand , there were no commercials , & it was listed as "Pilot", there were also a few short "extras/interview" type things listed OD in the folder, that I didn't watch ...
Zookster likes this.
post #26 of 1127 Old 05-30-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
On Fios On Demand , there were no commercials , & it was listed as "Pilot", there were also a few short "extras/interview" type things listed OD in the folder, that I didn't watch ...
Dude, you have the BEST avatar on this website.

post #27 of 1127 Old 05-30-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
One man's fun is another man's *****e.
Well that's true. It's the only reason to explain how Syfy can get away with the quality of the shows they have now.

post #28 of 1127 Old 05-30-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Well that's true. It's the only reason to explain how Syfy can get away with the quality of the shows they have now.
I have seen some previews of upcoming shows that have potential for me: Dark Matter, Hunters, Killjoys, and The Expanse.
http://www.syfy.com/shows

archiguy and Ph8te like this.
post #29 of 1127 Old 05-30-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some of you may have forgotten that FOX sued for getting rid of FCC restrictions for after 10 PM broadcasts. I watch broadcast shows out of Canada that make the US look very prudish. Cable shows have more leeway and S bombs have been around for a couple seasons. The production companies will probably keep pushing things. It costs money to do two version or to bleep things. I've also read that an unexpergated version of NBC's "Aquarius" will be available too later on.
post #30 of 1127 Old 05-30-2015, 01:03 PM

Mr. Robot - USA Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Some of you may have forgotten that FOX sued for getting rid of FCC restrictions for after 10 PM broadcasts. I watch broadcast shows out of Canada that make the US look very prudish. Cable shows have more leeway and S bombs have been around for a couple seasons. The production companies will probably keep pushing things. It costs money to do two version or to bleep things. I've also read that an unexpergated version of NBC's "Aquarius" will be available too later on.

S bombs are "normal", the F bomb is still highly "taboo". I know they can do it here and there without issue, but having two in the Pilot stood out. For BB they always muted the audio except for like twice in each season. Considering Fox doesn't air new shows after 10 except on their cable shows that's interesting.

Sent from nowhere

Last edited by Ph8te; 05-30-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page