'Lucifer' on Netflix - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 133Likes

post #361 of 372 Old 05-14-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 2592
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji
Best new character, Eve. What a beauty. ...
Gorgeous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 372 Old 05-15-2019, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
How ‘Lucifer,’ banished from Fox, found sympathy for the devil from Netflix
By Greg Braxton, Los Angeles Times - May 14, 2019

“Lucifer” has been to hell and back.

The cast and producers of the drama about the Prince of Darkness who gets bored in hell and winds up in Los Angeles as a nightclub owner and police crime consultant are rejoicing over its resurrection by Netflix, which followed a painful cancellation by Fox.

The fourth season of the series dropped last week on the streaming service, which revived the show after a legion of fans in this country and abroad staged an intense Twitter campaign protesting its ouster and pleading for a reprieve from another network. The pickup is one of the first instances where Netflix, which specializes in original series and films, has picked up a show from a major U.S. broadcast network. (Netflix next month will air the third season of “Designated Survivor,” which was canceled last year by ABC.)

“It feels amazing, actually,” Tom Ellis, who stars as Lucifer Morningstar, says on a soundstage at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank where the show is filmed. “It was rather an upsetting experience to be canceled. I was not ready for the show to be over.”

Adds executive producer Ildy Mondrovich: “We’re the little engine that could. When we were canceled, I cried in the closet for a couple of hours. But it’s actually the best thing that’s ever happened to us, because we found out how people were really connected to the show.”

Although “Lucifier,” which is based on a DC Comics character, is no longer bound by broadcast standards and regulations, don’t expect the series to be more devilish in its storytelling. Except for a brief shot of Ellis’ nude rear end in the first episode, the tone and flavor of the series remains largely the same as the broadcast version.

“It was important for us to remain true to the fans who saved us,” Mondrovich says. “We didn’t want to reinvent the wheel. We did feel we could go deeper into the mythology and also tell more personal stories. And Netflix encouraged us to have cliffhangers at the end of each episode, and write to the serialized format a lot more. That was fun for us to do.”

The other major switch is a shorter season. The first three seasons of the show weighed in with more than 20 episodes apiece, which is typical for broadcast network series, while the Netflix version has only 10 episodes.

“We can be leaner and meaner — we can get right down to telling our story,” Ellis says.

That story reached a cliffhanger finale in the third season when Lucifer, whose usual form is a handsome playboy with a smooth English accent, changes physically into his demonic self, much to the horror of his partner — and potential love interest — detective Chloe Decker (Lauren German), the one person who has been immune to Lucifer’s charms.

“We wrote that ending because we just knew we were coming back,” says executive producer Joe Henderson. “When we were canceled, we were crushed, just total devastation.”

Ellis was attending a “Lucifer” fan convention in Rome when he got the bad news.

“I had just come offstage from doing this Q&A,” he says. “I had been put on this pedestal for an hour, and had gotten back on a minibus to get back to the hotel to have dinner with friends. I got a call from Joe that the show had been canceled. Everyone on the bus knew what that conversation was. The mood went from joy to deathly silence.”

Fox executives first blamed the cancellation on ratings, saying that “Lucifer” was not drawing enough viewership to warrant a renewal. But later, then-Fox Television Group Chief Executive Dana Walden also said that economics had played a role. The series is produced by Warner Bros. Studios in association with Jerry Bruckheimer Television, and “we couldn’t justify the economics” of paying for a show from another studio, she said in interviews.

Fans of the show were quick to register their anger on Twitter with the hashtags #SaveLucifer and #PickUpLucifer . According to @twitter tv, 3.64 million tweets and 5.63 million retweets included #SaveLucifer between May 8 and April 8 last year.

“There was this terrific fan uprising,” Henderson says.

“We heard from Romania, Egypt, Brazil,” Modrovich says. “It was truly moving. The fact that it actually worked speaks to a brand new landscape in television.”

Ellis says he became quite emotional when he learned that Netflix had picked up the series.

“I sort of broke down,” Ellis says, recalling how he felt when Warner Bros. Television head Peter Roth called him with the news. “It was similar for the rest of the cast. When we got back together, we were just so grateful and thankful to have had this experience. Weirdly, if it hadn’t been canceled, none of us would have had an inkling of how popular and loved the show is.”

Neflix is also streaming the first three seasons, and Ellis as Lucifer provides a brief recap in the beginning of the new season. The original cast has returned, and this season brings two new characters — Eve (Inbar Lavi), Lucifer’s first love from the Garden of Eden, and Father Kinley (Graham McTavish), who is plotting to return Lucifer to hell.

“What happened with the cancellation really energized us,” Ellis says. “I think it’s our best season yet.”

‘Lucifer’
Where: Netflix
When: Any time

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...513-story.html
aaronwt and gwsat like this.

post #363 of 372 Old 05-15-2019, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6845 Post(s)
Liked: 15382
Finished S4 last night. Another good season. Especially enjoyed the final two episodes. And in DV this is the best this show has looked. Thanks NF. Fingers crossed for a season 5.
aaronwt likes this.

Advertisement

post #364 of 372 Old 05-15-2019, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked: 5726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Finished S4 last night. Another good season. Especially enjoyed the final two episodes. And in DV this is the best this show has looked. Thanks NF. Fingers crossed for a season 5.
Yeah, Netflix's addition of HDR for Season 4 made a huge improvement over the HD we saw on Fox in Seasons 1 through 3. High marks to Netflix for this!
aaronwt likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #365 of 372 Old 05-16-2019, 03:51 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8900 Post(s)
Liked: 5689
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Yeah, Netflix's addition of HDR for Season 4 made a huge improvement over the HD we saw on Fox in Seasons 1 through 3. High marks to Netflix for this!
Yes there is quite a difference between the HD at 720P that fox uses and the 2160P being streamed by Netflix. Then you add HDR to the mix and the difference becomes even greater.

I'm hoping the new season of Designated Survivor looks just as good on Netflix as season 4 of Lucifer does.
Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)
gwsat likes this.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #366 of 372 Old 05-25-2019, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked: 1826
Finished the season. I avoided the thread because, I don't get why some of you guys want to watch a show in one day.

I enjoyed the season. It started slow. I thought it would be tedious, but it perked up pretty quickly. Eve was a good addition to the cast. Of course, with Eve being in this season I wonder if they will bring Adam down next year.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #367 of 372 Old 05-25-2019, 08:35 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8900 Post(s)
Liked: 5689
It needs to get renewed first, before there is a next year.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #368 of 372 Old 05-25-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Really liked season 4. Nice upgrade in special effects. The ending was good, could be a series ender.
post #369 of 372 Old 05-28-2019, 03:27 AM

Finally finished it. This was an excellent season. I think it was better than when it was on Fox. Really well done, great story line, some hilarious moments (when he is taking pictures of his privates behind the bush I nearly spit out my drink), great special effects of what happens (no spoilers), really enjoyed it. Well done Netflix!

post #370 of 372 Old 06-06-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked: 3443
Luci is coming back for a fifth and final season.

From Deadline,

‘Lucifer’ Renewed For Fifth & Final Season By Netflix
aaronwt, PaulGo and yobbo like this.
post #371 of 372 Old 06-06-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6845 Post(s)
Liked: 15382
Finally some good news in the world of tv shows I like.

post #372 of 372 Old 06-10-2019, 03:56 AM

Good and bad news. Love it is going to be back but sad this will be the last season. This last season was the best of all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
dc comics' vertigo , devil , mazikeen , morningstar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page