Westworld - HBO series - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2459Likes

post #31 of 3005 Old 05-30-2016, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Don't forget Rome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3005 Old 05-31-2016, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2733 Post(s)
Liked: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
HBO was practicing last week by showing a close-up of a man's junk on Game of Thrones...they've also had practice with Deadwood which took your classic Western and added in tons of F bombs and nudity...I remember people being shocked when Deadwood first aired as no one used those type of curse words back in the real Deadwood...HBO has shown that they can take any genre and curse up a storm with graphic sex
Did Deadwood occasionally drop a C-Word? I may be misremembering that, but I have a vague recollection that they did.
post #33 of 3005 Old 05-31-2016, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6727 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
HBO was practicing last week by showing a close-up of a man's junk on Game of Thrones...they've also had practice with Deadwood which took your classic Western and added in tons of F bombs and nudity...I remember people being shocked when Deadwood first aired as no one used those type of curse words back in the real Deadwood...HBO has shown that they can take any genre and curse up a storm with graphic sex
Actually, they did use that kind of language in those days. Milch and his production/writing team did a ton of research, combing over all the written accounts and documentation of that time they could find.

The language was appropriately salty, just part of the unreal level of accuracy and realism they brought with that show. We were just not used to hearing either that level of cursing or the particular dialect and phrasing of that time. Both sounded strange (some might say melodic) to our ears. But both were accurately representative of the time and place. Deadwood was literally the barely-tamed frontier.
John dhein likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 3005 Old 05-31-2016, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
there's already been controversy during filming as background extras have had to sign consent forms agreeing to participate in “graphic sexual situations”, including “genital-to-genital touching” and posing “on all fours while others who are fully nude ride on your back"...so yes a show about androids will apparently have very graphic sex and nudity

http://deadline.com/2015/09/westworl...ng-1201560056/
I don't understand the controversy. The form was very specific of what may be required, so if someone is uncomfortable with it, they could just decline the job. Now, if this was given to them right before the scene/s was filmed, that is a different story.
post #35 of 3005 Old 05-31-2016, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5743 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Actually, they did use that kind of language in those days. Milch and his production/writing team did a ton of research, combing over all the written accounts and documentation of that time they could find.

The language was appropriately salty, just part of the unreal level of accuracy and realism they brought with that show. We were just not used to hearing either that level of cursing or the particular dialect and phrasing of that time. Both sounded strange (some might say melodic) to our ears. But both were accurately representative of the time and place. Deadwood was literally the barely-tamed frontier.

David Milch, creator of the new HBO Western, Deadwood, is peeved that TV critics keep carping about his potty-mouthed pioneers. “After a while, it gets a little discouraging,” he growls, calling right back from L.A. to answer the question once and for all: Did 1870s Americans really use such colloquially foul language with the Tourettic frequency of a Hollywood producer?

Jesse Sheidlower, the American editor of the Oxford English Dictionary and the scholar of cussing who wrote The F-Word, says probably not. Not that frontiersmen were genteel. “There were cursing contests when cowboys would get together and insult each other,” he says. But “the evidence that we have is that they were using more religious blasphemy than the sexual insults which are popular today.” And on the show...Sheidlower agrees that the F-word was in use back then. But he says most of the nonsexual uses of it—as an intensifier, for example—didn’t come about until around World War I...

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/people...encer/n_10191/
post #36 of 3005 Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 AM

Well, it figures that co******er Sheidlower would say that.
gwsat, adpayne, John dhein and 1 others like this.
post #37 of 3005 Old 05-31-2016, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked: 5941
What I liked best about Milch's writing in Deadwood was that, in addition to being shockingly profane, it was often beautiful. Much of it was written in blank verse, that is it scans in iambic pentameter. That's one of the many reasons why I so loved the show. Stories about a rough and tumble 19th Century boom town written in the style of Shakespeare have to have something going for them.
post #38 of 3005 Old 05-31-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
What I liked best about Milch's writing in Deadwood was that, in addition to being shockingly profane, it was often beautiful. Much of it was written in blank verse, that is it scans in iambic pentameter. That's one of the many reasons why I so loved the show. Stories about a rough and tumble 19th Century boom town written in the style of Shakespeare have to have something going for them.

where was that poetry in 'John From Cincinnati' or 'Luck'?
post #39 of 3005 Old 05-31-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
where was that poetry in 'John From Cincinnati' or 'Luck'?
The only luck he had with 'Luck' was the bad kind. I really liked that show.
post #40 of 3005 Old 05-31-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The only luck he had with 'Luck' was the bad kind. I really liked that show.

too much horse racing jargon made it hard to get into for me...still a good show but seems like it was catered to horse racing diehards who knew every piece of lingo
post #41 of 3005 Old 06-12-2016, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked: 5941
Here is a link to a very encouraging piece about Westworld. If the reaction of the ATX Festival crowd is any guide, the show might be really, really good. Fingers crossed!
TitusTroy likes this.
post #42 of 3005 Old 06-12-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Here is a link to a very encouraging piece about Westworld. If the reaction of the ATX Festival crowd is any guide, the show might be really, really good. Fingers crossed!

I'm thinking HBO will release that trailer publically (or create a new one) to air right before the Game of Thrones season finale on June 26th
post #43 of 3005 Old 06-12-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
too much horse racing jargon made it hard to get into for me...still a good show but seems like it was catered to horse racing diehards who knew every piece of lingo
Heck, I didn't know any of it. But it was cool to get a look into that world of racetrack gambling as it's popularity wanes. And the cast & writing was sooooo good.
post #44 of 3005 Old 06-12-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I read that and was trying to figure out just what Westworld is? Is it populated solely by sentient robots as part of some huge -- and let me tell you, I mean YOUUUUUGE, believe me -- scientific experiment? They interact only with themselves in this setting? Is the theme-park theme, and human participation, totally gone from this version?
post #45 of 3005 Old 06-12-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I read that and was trying to figure out just what Westworld is? Is it populated solely by sentient robots as part of some huge -- and let me tell you, I mean YOUUUUUGE, believe me -- scientific experiment? They interact only with themselves in this setting? Is the theme-park theme, and human participation, totally gone from this version?

“Our show is about the robots who don’t realize they’re in a fake Western,” says showrunner Jonathan Nolan

new version sounds like a cross between Blade Runner and Ex Machina in a Deadwood type of Wild West setting...sounds really impressive to me...seems like the robots are becoming self aware and are being abused by and abusing the residents of Westworld...as is customary with HBO, the production values, actors and atmosphere look amazing
post #46 of 3005 Old 06-12-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
“Our show is about the robots who don’t realize they’re in a fake Western,” says showrunner Jonathan Nolan
So... it's still a theme park? For the pleasure and enjoyment of real people? Then some of the robots start glitching and killing humans? Sorry, but that's still not clear to me.
post #47 of 3005 Old 06-19-2016, 07:11 PM

HBO released a new teaser trailer for Westworld before tonight's new Game of Thrones...looks really impressive...production values, actors, story all look amazing...

post #48 of 3005 Old 06-19-2016, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
HBO released a new teaser trailer for Westworld before tonight's new Game of Thrones...looks really impressive...production values, actors, story all look amazing...
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded it to watch in 720p. No idea why they didn't post a 1080p version. Still looks good.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #49 of 3005 Old 06-19-2016, 11:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
This has become my most anticipated show - please be good
post #50 of 3005 Old 06-20-2016, 08:40 AM

The concept of Westworld would seem to have a limited shelf life. I mean, once word gets out that guests are being killed by out of control robots at a theme park, wouldn't that kind of affect attendance? But then again, "Jurassic Park" has shown that people will continue to return to a theme park where every few years everybody gets slaughtered by out of control dinosaurs, so maybe.
post #51 of 3005 Old 06-20-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
The concept of Westworld would seem to have a limited shelf life. I mean, once word gets out that guests are being killed by out of control robots at a theme park, wouldn't that kind of affect attendance? But then again, "Jurassic Park" has shown that people will continue to return to a theme park where every few years everybody gets slaughtered by out of control dinosaurs, so maybe.

dead men tell no tales...who's going to be left to warn anyone?...I don't think the show is going to be like the movie...I think the TV version is going to focus more on the androids and how they are slowly becoming self aware...the tourists going to the theme park are going in to get their freaky fantasies fulfilled
post #52 of 3005 Old 06-20-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
The first time they tried a TV version ("Beyond Westworld") it lasted 5 episodes.
post #53 of 3005 Old 06-21-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
The first time they tried a TV version ("Beyond Westworld") it lasted 5 episodes.
This isn't TV, it's HBO!!!

Beyond Westworld didn't contain graphic violence, language, and nudity. I'm not saying those are necessary ingredients, but they don't hurt.
post #54 of 3005 Old 06-21-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3u0IlBBO4
I noticed that the trailer they showed on HBO was slightly different then the one they put online...in the HBO version they showed a few quick shots of the infamous orgy scene at the :27-:29 second mark...in the online version they show a different shot during those 2 seconds...
post #55 of 3005 Old 06-22-2016, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm really looking forward to this show. It was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid and actually spurred an interest in robotics that I've carried to this day. Ed Harris is reliably great in just about everything I've seen him in. With him and Anthony Hopkins in the cast they definitely have some powerhouse talent going for them. I can't wait to see what they do with it.
Jack Rainville likes this.
post #56 of 3005 Old 06-22-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
So... it's still a theme park? For the pleasure and enjoyment of real people? Then some of the robots start glitching and killing humans? Sorry, but that's still not clear to me.
Is it a "glitch" when robots become self-aware and no longer want to serve others?
post #57 of 3005 Old 06-22-2016, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
Is it a "glitch" when robots become self-aware and no longer want to serve others?
Yes, when the robots are programmed intended to serve people and to not act on their own artificial intelligence.
post #58 of 3005 Old 06-22-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
Yes, when the robots are programmed intended to serve people and to not act on their own artificial intelligence.
I don't call that a glitch. I call that a consequence of achieving self awareness.
post #59 of 3005 Old 06-22-2016, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't call that a glitch. I call that a consequence of achieving self awareness.
Bully for you. Call it what ever you want.
post #60 of 3005 Old 06-22-2016, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Yeah... that's how I've always viewed it. If you accidentally create life instead of just a robot, that's not a glitch... it's an accidental invention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page