Westworld - HBO series - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2459Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 3005 Old 07-30-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,501
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5743 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
At the Television Critics Association’s press tour Saturday, HBO announced that Westworld will debut on Sunday, October 2nd...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/30...premiere-dates
Ph8te likes this.
TitusTroy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 3005 Old 07-30-2016, 08:06 PM
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,567
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
I loved the movie as a kid and I have a lot of faith in Nolan, but I am worried about the premise. After the 12th rape and 12th murder what are they going to do that is new. Once the robots realize they are not real, all bets are off and mayhem ensues, but where do we go from there? Can see a season or 2, but not 6 years of cat and mouse.
sytech is offline  
post #63 of 3005 Old 07-31-2016, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
taxman48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,336
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 405
HBO chief spars with critics about show.. Spoiler is in the article:


taxman48 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 3005 Old 08-01-2016, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 14,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
I loved the movie as a kid and I have a lot of faith in Nolan, but I am worried about the premise. After the 12th rape and 12th murder what are they going to do that is new. Once the robots realize they are not real, all bets are off and mayhem ensues, but where do we go from there? Can see a season or 2, but not 6 years of cat and mouse.
There is plenty of scope if the show develops character and premise.

The androids can attempt to establish their own society and go to war with humans. Different colonies could mix up the genres so you could have medieval old west cities with advanced technology. Some could escape into the real world and have to be tracked down using other other androids and historical weapons they are proficient with. Some humans could side with the androids to give them shelter and vice versa ... etc, etc.


VisionOn is offline  
post #65 of 3005 Old 08-02-2016, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,501
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5743 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
There is plenty of scope if the show develops character and premise.

The androids can attempt to establish their own society and go to war with humans. Different colonies could mix up the genres so you could have medieval old west cities with advanced technology. Some could escape into the real world and have to be tracked down using other other androids and historical weapons they are proficient with. Some humans could side with the androids to give them shelter and vice versa ... etc, etc.

they could also copy the Battlestar Galactica reboot and have secret humanoid Cylons/androids living among the humans and it's up to the viewer (and characters on the show) to determine who is real and who is a synthetic
TitusTroy is online now  
post #66 of 3005 Old 08-28-2016, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,501
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5743 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
new trailer for Westworld...best one yet...this looks like it could make the long wait for the new season of Game of Thrones more bearable...

aaronwt, Keenan and sytech like this.
TitusTroy is online now  
post #67 of 3005 Old 08-29-2016, 07:49 PM
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,567
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
new trailer for Westworld...best one yet...this looks like it could make the long wait for the new season of Game of Thrones more bearable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuS5huqOND4
Holy Shiznits! That is how you do a trailer. The only thing better would have been if the last scene went:

Dolores: Are we very old friends?
Hannibal Lecter: No, I wouldn't say friends Dolores. DRAMATIC PAUSE
*Slightly moisten lips
Hannibal Lecter: I wouldn't say that at all.

This looks like it going to be Westworld/The Matrix from the enslaved robots/AI point of view. And what a top notch cast. People that can actually act and not just pretty faces. The legendary Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Evan Rachel Wood, Thilde Swanson, the underrated James Marsden and Jefferey Wright. This just shot up to number 2 on my must watch list.

1. Game Of Thrones
2. WestWorld
3. Mr. Robot
4. The Expanse
5. Better Call Saul
sytech is offline  
post #68 of 3005 Old 08-29-2016, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 14,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
they could also copy the Battlestar Galactica reboot and have secret humanoid Cylons/androids living among the humans and it's up to the viewer (and characters on the show) to determine who is real and who is a synthetic
Since BSG was copying multiple sci-fi creations before you could say that BSG was actually copying Westworld. The idea that the characters (and in the beginning - the audience) could not tell if the people they were interacting with were human or android was part of the original movie.


VisionOn is offline  
post #69 of 3005 Old 08-30-2016, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 26,160
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6727 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

1. Game Of Thrones
2. WestWorld
3. Mr. Robot
4. The Expanse
5. Better Call Saul
That's a pretty good list, mirrors mine. But because you can't have all gloom & doom in your televiewing, I'd add 'Angie Tribeca' to the list. Just to get your endorphins back up.
archiguy is online now  
post #70 of 3005 Old 08-30-2016, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,501
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5743 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
1. Game Of Thrones
2. WestWorld
3. Mr. Robot
4. The Expanse
5. Better Call Saul

can't go wrong with that list...hard for me to put Westworld on my Top 5 without seeing a single episode but the hype is off the charts...definitely my most anticipated new show since GoT...with the new Twin Peaks reboot a close second...my list...

1. Game of Thrones
2. Fargo
3. The Expanse
4. Bates Motel
5. Better Call Saul

Last edited by TitusTroy; 08-30-2016 at 06:49 AM.
TitusTroy is online now  
post #71 of 3005 Old 08-30-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 26,160
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6727 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
'Fargo', yeah. Forgot about that one. It has to be in my Top Five, since I haven't yet seen a minute of 'Westworld'. And WW will have to be pretty damn good to bump it out. The other four in sytech's list are permanent residents. Plus 'Angie'. Gotta' have a little mirth with your despair.
archiguy is online now  
post #72 of 3005 Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 5,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Not sure about my top 5 overall, but one show most definitely in my top 5 is '12 Monkeys'
rebkell is offline  
post #73 of 3005 Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Flambe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I'm sorry to see that "Black Sails" isn't in more people's Top 5 lists. A great show, headed into its 4th and final season next year. Glad to see The Expanse there though!
archiguy, Keenan and Ddave70 like this.
Flambe is offline  
post #74 of 3005 Old 08-30-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 26,160
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6727 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
'Black Sails' and '12 Monkeys' would definitely make my second five. BS particularly is criminally underrated. Great plotline, gorgeous locales, some amazing performances. And Starz spends some money on that sucker too. Some of those navel battles are pretty awesome.
archiguy is online now  
post #75 of 3005 Old 08-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
adrenalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
can't go wrong with that list...hard for me to put Westworld on my Top 5 without seeing a single episode but the hype is off the charts...
Yeah but this is AVS; where TVs are branded "best ever" based simply on specs and demos lmao

Hype>reality
adrenalin is offline  
post #76 of 3005 Old 08-30-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
taxman48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,336
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Anyone remember (and seen) the original show? That was a great idea for a show. Hope this one lives up to all the hype .. got the date circled on my calendar for it..

taxman48 is offline  
post #77 of 3005 Old 08-30-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blitzen102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,488
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Anyone remember (and seen) the original show? That was a great idea for a show. Hope this one lives up to all the hype .. got the date circled on my calendar for it..
The original movie, do you mean? I loved it. The original TV series (show??) --- not so much.
blitzen102 is offline  
post #78 of 3005 Old 08-31-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,501
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5743 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
for anyone still confused over the premise of the show, here's a more detailed synopsis...

Westworld follows the happenings of a high-tech theme park inhabited by artificial intelligence-enhanced robots designed to indulge every fantasy of the human patrons. Adventure, sex, violence…you name it…the robot “Hosts”, as they’re called, were created to satisfy each and every whim of their “Guests”, no matter how vile or repugnant...The problem comes when those robots begin manifesting consciousness and a sense of self, retaining and recovering their memories, and ending up on a violent path of confrontation with the Guests...The new incarnation of Westworld inverts the original’s format, investing in the robots’ point of view over the humans’– foremost, the tremendous Evan Rachel Wood‘s Delores, who despite her youthful visage, is the oldest Host in the park

Why ‘Westworld’ Is Poised to Be Your Next HBO Obsession
http://collider.com/westworld-hbo-series/#plot
TitusTroy is online now  
post #79 of 3005 Old 08-31-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 21,105
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked: 5941
TitusTroy -- Until I saw your last post, I hadn't realized that the superbly talented (not to say not bad looking) Evan Rachel Wood was in Westworld. Her performance in The Wrestler blew me away and I thought she was equally marvelous in The Ides of March.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
gwsat is online now  
post #80 of 3005 Old 08-31-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
taxman48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,336
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
The original movie, do you mean? I loved it. The original TV series (show??) --- not so much.
Westworld the movie I meant. Thanks for the correction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld

The tv series was called "Beyond Westworld"..


Last edited by taxman48; 08-31-2016 at 06:00 PM. Reason: additional information
taxman48 is offline  
post #81 of 3005 Old 09-01-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Turrican4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
TitusTroy -- Until I saw your last post, I hadn't realized that the superbly talented (not to say not bad looking) Evan Rachel Wood was in Westworld. Her performance in The Wrestler blew me away and I thought she was equally marvelous in The Ides of March.
I loved her in her video with Marilyn Manson.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Turrican4D is offline  
post #82 of 3005 Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HDMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kittrell, NC
Posts: 6,553
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 667
If I'm reading this correctly, and remembering the original movie correctly... Westworld, the movie, was basically the same plot-wise as Jurassic Park... which makes sense with Michael Crichton the author of both... in that, the problem with both parks was corruption and naivety on the part of the creators, which lead to the creations malfunctioning and running amok... but the robots in Westworld were no more evil than were the dinos in Jurassic Park... they just were what they were, flawed creations wreaking havoc.

But it sounds like the TV show here is going to add a layer of depth to the robots... giving their "malfunction" more substance... so that they aren't just tools gone wrong, but self-aware beings realizing they are being misused by the (likely) corrupt creators.

Am I picking that up correctly?
HDMe2 is offline  
post #83 of 3005 Old 09-08-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,501
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5743 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
Westworld has already figured out the next 5 seasons...

HBO’s upcoming Westworld stirred up worrisome reports when the production temporarily shut down last January in order to give showrunners Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy more time to work on the final episodes of the season...But there was a little more to the behind-the-scenes creative challenge that was being solved...The Westworld team was determined to address another pressing issue during their break, as well. It turns out, producers wanted to firm up their master plan for the entire series – all the way to the show’s eventual finale – and lay that groundwork in the first season...“It wasn’t about getting the first 10 [episodes] done, it was about mapping out what the next 5 or 6 years are going to be,” Westworld actor James Marsden says...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/08/westworld-plan

that's reassuring...the show sounds very ambitious, expensive as hell with some amazing production values and top tier actors...looks like HBO has their next big hit...
TitusTroy is online now  
post #84 of 3005 Old 09-08-2016, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 26,160
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6727 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Bummer for them if it gets canned early though.
archiguy is online now  
post #85 of 3005 Old 09-09-2016, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 14,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Bummer for them if it gets canned early though.
They have two things in their favor.

One, Game of Thrones has an end date now so HBO need another Mother of Profits to take it's place.

Two, David Milch isn't involved.
archiguy likes this.


VisionOn is offline  
post #86 of 3005 Old 09-09-2016, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 21,105
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4527 Post(s)
Liked: 5941
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
They have two things in their favor.

One, Game of Thrones has an end date now so HBO need another Mother of Profits to take it's place.

Two, David Milch isn't involved.
There is no more fervent admirer of David Milch's talent than I am. That said, it's been a long time since NYPD Blue and Deadwood. You would think that if anybody could make a show like Westworld work, it would be Jonathan Nolan. Don't suppose it will be filmed in IMAX, though.
ltownsend likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
gwsat is online now  
post #87 of 3005 Old 09-09-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 14,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
There is no more fervent admirer of David Milch's talent than I am. That said, it's been a long time since NYPD Blue and Deadwood. You would think that if anybody could make a show like Westworld work, it would be Jonathan Nolan. Don't suppose it will be filmed in IMAX, though.
Well if Nolan can avoid arguing with HBO all the time or killing any of the horses, then things will be looking up!
gwsat likes this.


VisionOn is offline  
post #88 of 3005 Old 09-09-2016, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
philw1776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Back in New Hampshire
Posts: 1,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Westworld has already figured out the next 5 seasons...

HBO’s upcoming Westworld stirred up worrisome reports when the production temporarily shut down last January in order to give showrunners Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy more time to work on the final episodes of the season...But there was a little more to the behind-the-scenes creative challenge that was being solved...The Westworld team was determined to address another pressing issue during their break, as well. It turns out, producers wanted to firm up their master plan for the entire series – all the way to the show’s eventual finale – and lay that groundwork in the first season...“It wasn’t about getting the first 10 [episodes] done, it was about mapping out what the next 5 or 6 years are going to be,” Westworld actor James Marsden says...
.
This brings back bad, bad memories of a similar statement by LOST's creators about having known the ending.
philw1776 is offline  
post #89 of 3005 Old 09-09-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 26,160
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6727 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
This brings back bad, bad memories of a similar statement by LOST's creators about having known the ending.
I think what Lindelof & Cuse actually said was they had the last shot in mind from the beginning. Same shot they started with: Jack's eyeball. Other than that, though, they didn't have a clue how they were going to finish. That was painfully obvious through the whole final season, considering they basically abandoned everything they had painstakingly built over the 5 previous ones and went off in an entirely new direction.
Sharp1080 likes this.
archiguy is online now  
post #90 of 3005 Old 09-09-2016, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 9,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 815
True, that. That being said, HBO TV series don't interest me in the least. Oops; moving along...
rezzy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off