Billions (Showtime) - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 461Likes

post #601 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5089 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
Damn, Wendy is PISSED. When she snapped her fingers in Chuck's face, you could feel it.

Wonder what Taylor's Parental Unit's company idea is all about. I like how Pollak subtly speaks like Taylor. Like saying one or two words and letting it hang in the air.
Ph8te likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3268 Post(s)
Liked: 4362
Bravo .. episode was just packed end to end, not a dull second ..
Garrett Adams, Don S and Ph8te like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #603 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 650
I'm not a big fan of the way this has played out.

Once Dad and Black Jack showed up at their playground, both Wendy and Chuck had to know that their behavior would not be secret for long. So, Chuck turning it to his advantage was a foregone conclusion.

Wendy being irate about it was/is silly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7010 Post(s)
Liked: 7098
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Bravo .. episode was just packed end to end, not a dull second ..

Totally agree and I think may have been the best episode of Billions to date.
Al_the_xmtr_tech likes this.
post #605 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Another great episode, true. Chuck could have been a tad less descriptive in his big reveal, merely saying, that he and his wife are a bit adventuress in the bedroom and explore a little Dom/sub play. That would have brought a lot less embarrassment for Wendy, me thinks. I also thought it a bit irresponsible of Ax, to put Chuck in the crosshairs of the Russian. Not someone you want to have as an enemy.
Tack likes this.
post #606 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Another great episode, true. Chuck could have been a tad less descriptive in his big reveal, merely saying, that he and his wife are a bit adventuress in the bedroom and explore a little Dom/sub play. That would have brought a lot less embarrassment for Wendy, me thinks. I also thought it a bit irresponsible of Ax, to put Chuck in the crosshairs of the Russian. Not someone you want to have as an enemy.
Yes, I agree with all of this. Was thinking the same thing both when Chuck was speaking, and when he was sent to oust the Russian. Still a great episode though. I love how none of them knew how to call to make a trade.
shivaji likes this.
post #607 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 09:06 AM

Although it undermined Wendy badly, the fact that Chuck left nothing on the table as it relates to his proclivities was probably the way to go .. nothing in that arena left to haunt him later .. as we progress in Society to be more accepting of alternative lifestyles, Chuck made a judgement call and he was right .. in fact, the disclosure speech was kinda funny ..

As with most things these days, the short News Cycle will bury it quickly, although I feel sure that, had it been in Real Life, the news folks would have been all over it, Nation Wide .. "New York AG candidate admits to being Masochist prior to Election .."

How Wendy gets through this vortex should be interesting .. the video call from Taylor probably portends the future "adjustments" ..

"Billions" has now broached the Trans populace and now the Masochist populace .. expanding the audience exponentially ..
mnetop and Ph8te like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #608 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 09:11 AM

I'll add that, previously, Wendy had been trying to move Chuck to a more "normal" relationship .. so that has to play into her feelings as well ..

Grigor tempting Chuck with the "Total Decadence World Tour" was a nice tid-bit ..

And, the soundtrack in this episode was wonderfully selected ..
Don S and Ph8te like this.

Uncle Willie

post #609 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7010 Post(s)
Liked: 7098
Quote:
Although it undermined Wendy badly, the fact that Chuck left nothing on the table as it relates to his proclivities was probably the way to go .. nothing in that arena left to haunt him later .. as we progress in Society to be more accepting of alternative lifestyles, Chuck made a judgement call and he was right .. in fact, the disclosure speech was kinda funny ..

As with most things these days, the short News Cycle will bury it quickly, although I feel sure that, had it been in Real Life, the news folks would have been all over it, Nation Wide .. "New York AG candidate admits to being Masochist prior to Election .."

How Wendy gets through this vortex should be interesting .. the video call from Taylor probably portends the future "adjustments" ..

"Billions" has now broached the Trans populace and now the Masochist populace .. expanding the audience exponentially ..

I totally agree. Unless he went “all out” there would be info available for leverage against him. In real life I think it would be the same thing, it’s hot news one day, then the next big thing happens and people move on. If he does good work and keeps people “happy” then it keeps things quiet .
post #610 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I totally agree. Unless he went “all out” there would be info available for leverage against him. In real life I think it would be the same thing, it’s hot news one day, then the next big thing happens and people move on. If he does good work and keeps people “happy” then it keeps things quiet .
And, I feel sure Chucks enemies and detractors will still dig up additional other intel ..

Uncle Willie

post #611 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
This is probably the last we'll see of Grigor.

Of course the NY AG can't really run a Russian national out of the country or freeze his funds. I would think even as US Attorney, he wouldn't be able to do it unless he convinced the DOJ and the president to do it.

As for Chuck's gambit, it's dubious that he'd have survived politically.

I think the kinky thing was put in to copy Eliot Spitzer, another crusading politician who was undone by personal sexual scandal. I don't know if they planned years ago to use this again as a plot point. I rather doubt it.

In any event, Chuck couldn't keep his post as US Attorney once the WH changed hands because US Attorneys typically are political appointees.

So they had to find another job for him with political power and in this case he had to actually run for office.
post #612 of 796 Old 04-08-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
And, also, remember Chuck wanted (in certain ways) to be embarrassed by telling the truth (being the sub)...but yeah, I think he went over the top on it...there's no way our current society would have accepted all of that

Quote:
I'll add that, previously, Wendy had been trying to move Chuck to a more "normal" relationship .. so that has to play into her feelings as well ....
Yeah, and Chuck completely missing the signs and signals she is sending...I think that's what drove a lot of the frustration and reaction

Great episode...sad to see Malkolvich go but that storyline was getting pretty worn out and how long could they continue to use it as a point of friction between Ax and Taylor? It has almost been a full season ... that's a long guest-star character arc
Don S and shivaji like this.

Josh

Last edited by lax01; 04-08-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #613 of 796 Old 04-11-2019, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
And, the soundtrack in this episode was wonderfully selected ..
Totally agree. When they first started playing "Troubled Man" by John Mellencamp, I thought it was Ryan Bingham. I hdad to Shazam it. Great music on the episode! Boooobbbbb!
post #614 of 796 Old 04-11-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Nothing to add except I agree with all of the above comments. Not only do I enjoy this series, but I quite enjoy reading the comments, theories, predictions, and insight in this particular thread. Such a fun, engaging show.
post #615 of 796 Old 04-12-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:

Maybe but I'm from NYC originally and I can tell you that the NY Post and NY Daily News would have had front page field days with Chuck's admission. The Daily News probably would have had a picture of Chuck in leather and chains with a headline like "Rhoades Promises to Whip Crime" and God knows what the Murdoch owned Post would have dome. After all this is the newspaper that, a number of years ago, had a real front page headline of "Headless Body Found in Topless Bar".
taxman48, shivaji and Tack like this.
post #616 of 796 Old 04-12-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the personal peccadillo thing was basically like Eliot Spitzer having to resign in disgrace because of his use of prostitutes.

He had a promising career until then.

So they put in this poison pill from the start, to have Chuck have a weakness.

But they haven't done much with it in several seasons so seems like they're getting rid of it as much as anything.

Unless of course, this leads to Wendy leaving him for good.
post #617 of 796 Old 04-12-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Go Wendy! Chuck will suffer I’d bet.

Display : JVC X7000 Projector | SE 103" Enlightor 4k | LG 65B6 OLED |
Sources : Panasonic UDP 700 & Vertex| Apple TV4k | HTPC | Sky Q UHD Satellite | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802A | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Sub Master/Slave |
post #618 of 796 Old 04-15-2019, 08:31 AM

Although GOT's pretty much sucked all the air out of the room last night, we were treated once again to an excellent episode of "Billions" .. Axe is the Master of the Machiavellian .. Taylor takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' .. Wendy beats up on Chuck until she comes to grips .. and more ..
shivaji likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #619 of 796 Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked: 6066
Quote:
Although GOT's pretty much sucked all the air out of the room last night, we were treated once again to an excellent episode of "Billions" .. Axe is the Master of the Machiavellian .. Taylor takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' .. Wendy beats up on Chuck until she comes to grips .. and more ..
This was indeed a great episode. A highlight was another classic one liner, this one from Axe. When Wendy was telling Axe about the nasty posts about the sexual peccadillos that Chuck had revealed, she said that Taylor had posted something supportive instead. Axe's response was "That is the act of an open and involved person — lame."
Tack and Al_the_xmtr_tech like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #620 of 796 Old 04-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Yes! Another great ep! Was anyone else getting the impression that Axe was just about to toss the guy on the fishing boat (quad drive outboards--way more power than needed just to go out to sea fishin' "on the spur of the moment.") into the sea? He was deeply insulted that the fellow was withdrawing all his money, since they helped put him through school after the guy's dad was killed in the 9/11 attack on the WTC, but geez, they PROFITED FROM THE 9/11 ATTACKS! Once again Axe proves that, in addition to being dishonest, he is the perfect creep!

That takedown/perp walk by the feds AT A FUNERAL SERVICE: only in New York, kids; only in New York.

And, how 'bout the way that Chuck and Wendy turned into "The Bickersons" at that pizza dinner? Chuck needs to take cover...Wendy sounds about ready to go nuclear.
Don S, Tack and Cal1981 like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 04-15-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #621 of 796 Old 04-15-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Just a great episode. Once Chuck got verbally smacked around by the old man his Machiavellian manipulating of the Assembly Speaker and then the Governor was absolutely masterful. There's some truth behind some of this. There have been a number of NY State legislators who have been guests of federal and state corrections departments, including the Speaker a few years ago. Bobby's total destruction of his young Jedi apprentice was brutal. The ditching of the phones, phony engine failure and false distress call delays to give young Rice time to "confess" and then while he was incommunicado, Axe's people poaching most of his investors was vicious and spectacular. As for Rhoades Sr., it looks like, it might be,to use a famous quote, "his time in the barrel". Sacker may not be able to show any involvement by Chuck, but it sure looks like she's hunting papa's scalp. Then to top it off, Taylor's getting the Fireman's pension fund, with what was an almost perfect pitch, is sure to tee Axe off. The move, counter move and revenge schemes on this show are absolutely delicious.
Tack likes this.
post #622 of 796 Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Was anyone else getting the impression that Axe was just about to toss the guy on the fishing boat (quad drive outboards--way more power than needed just to go out to sea fishin' "on the spur of the moment.") into the sea? He was deeply insulted that the fellow was withdrawing all his money, since they helped put him through school after the guy's dad was killed in the 9/11 attack on the WTC, but geez, they PROFITED FROM THE 9/11 ATTACKS! Once again Axe proves that, in addition to being dishonest, he is the perfect creep!

That takedown/perp walk by the feds AT A FUNERAL SERVICE: only in New York, kids; only in New York.
It showed both of them being *******s. I guess the point is they're big dick swingers who will abuse and take advantage of people.

It's one thing for Bobby to go after Taylor since they did in a way turn on him.

But that kid just didn't respect or kiss his ring enough so he decided to destroy his business?

Previous week they bullied other firms into buying those natural gas contracts which they knew would tank.

So Axe likes making enemies.

Does that end well?

Same thing for Chuck, he was blackmailing those legislators and then at the last minute decides to betray them. Politicians may use both carrot and stick to motivate people on their way to the top. But Chuck seems to trade mostly in blackmail.

Now Chuck Sr. is doing some shady waterfront deal and is going to get Chuck implicated.
post #623 of 796 Old 04-16-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2078 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
Loved the boat escapade. "Wow, looks like were stuck! Can I get a tow? Sorry, pal. Looks like you and your $100K will have to wait. Whoops - imagine that! The engine is fixed!"

Makes you wonder if John Rice had REALLY withdrawn his money from everyone around town - - whether Axe would have been as harsh.

The one liners and scenes are hilarious. How about Wags and his wrinkle mask? And Chuck Sr. getting Viagra himself from the drug store because his wife would find out and question why they haven't made it since Tony Orlando was making hits.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Denon X6700H & Emotiva XPA-3, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides). Stereo 2 Channel Only - Dali Evidence 470 & MartinLogan Forte Amplifier/Streamer with ARC.
post #624 of 796 Old 04-17-2019, 08:20 AM

I know it's Sacred Territory, and I'd never post this on the GOT thread, but I am actually more entertained by "Billions" than GOT ..

Uncle Willie

post #625 of 796 Old 04-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 787
While GoT is sure great for fantasy fans, living in New York State I can tell ya that Billions comes so much closer to real life that it's practically a documentary. And BTW, for anyone who's not aware..."Chuck" and "Axe" are actually based upon real people: Southern District Prosecutor Preet Bharara, and Wall Street hedge fund guru Steve Cohen.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #626 of 796 Old 04-17-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Just a basic rule of thumb when stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a slightly beyond morality billionaire. If he attempts to goad you into telling him your true feelings, stick to your story no matter what, do not tell him you think he's a low life a-hole, until safely back on land and maybe , not even then. It could go badly for you.
Tack likes this.
post #627 of 796 Old 04-17-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
While GoT is sure great for fantasy fans, living in New York State I can tell ya that Billions comes so much closer to real life that it's practically a documentary. And BTW, for anyone who's not aware..."Chuck" and "Axe" are actually based upon real people: Southern District Prosecutor Preet Bharara, and Wall Street hedge fund guru Steve Cohen.
They are based on real people but there are a lot of fantastic elements in Billions.

Anyways, GoT may be fantasy but it's miles above Billions for emotional substance.

Billions is content to throw in a lot of hip pop cultural references, as if they make their characters hip, smart and make the audience identify with them.
post #628 of 796 Old 04-17-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
They are based on real people but there are a lot of fantastic elements in Billions.

Anyways, GoT may be fantasy but it's miles above Billions for emotional substance.

Billions is content to throw in a lot of hip pop cultural references, as if they make their characters hip, smart and make the audience identify with them.
While I can't disagree with that, if I'm in the mood for easy to watch, no real study required, over the top Soap Opera style, "Billions" fits the bill in Spades ..

May it Live Long and Prosper ..
JoeTiVo, Don S and gwsat like this.

Uncle Willie

post #629 of 796 Old 04-17-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sure but dismissing GoT as a fantasy misses the point, as if it's only about swords, dragons, magic, etc., not about real human characters.
Don S likes this.
post #630 of 796 Old 04-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Sure but dismissing GoT as a fantasy misses the point, as if it's only about swords, dragons, magic, etc., not about real human characters.
I've never dismissed GOT .. I have studied the books numerous times, I've watched the show a number of times, I have read all of Martins peripheral GOT writings and I've known Mr Martin since he was setting up a card table at early Conventions with which to peddle his wares ..

However, GOT's is not a Sacred Cow .. simply put, I get, in many cases, more entertainment for various reasons, out of an in your face show like "Billions" .. that's me, and I'm not afraid to admit it .. do I think "Billions" is a superior show .. ?? You can't compare an apple to an orange ..
JoeTiVo, Tack and gwsat like this.

Uncle Willie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page