Billions (Showtime) - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 461Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #661 of 796 Old 04-24-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 8,568
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2570 Post(s)
Liked: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
At this time of the year, 9 PM PT is NOT 12 AM EST.
Congratulations! You half passed my test. 9 PM PT is of course 12 AM ET. Just leave the S (for Standard) out and it works year round.
Brian Conrad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #662 of 796 Old 04-24-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,749
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5089 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Yep, "Gotcha!" games are tiring, aren't they?

Not for everybody, apparently.
Brian Conrad, gwsat and Ph8te like this.
Tack is offline  
post #663 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,749
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5089 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
So, yeah, I just watched the new episode on Showtime on demand. Very cool especially as Sunday night usually has 90 percent of the shows I follow. Got it out of the way.

I wont talk about the episode other than to say that this damn show just keeps getting better. Amazing episode.
Ph8te and Lp85253 like this.
Tack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #664 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 20,169
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7011 Post(s)
Liked: 7100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
So, yeah, I just watched the new episode on Showtime on demand. Very cool especially as Sunday night usually has 90 percent of the shows I follow. Got it out of the way.



I wont talk about the episode other than to say that this damn show just keeps getting better. Amazing episode.


Welcome to the early watch club as far as the episode goes I agree...
Ph8te is offline  
post #665 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Al_the_xmtr_tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: West Seneca, NY
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Just watched it! So much happens in this episode that my head is still spinning! That "Hard Bob" guy from the Dept. of Commerce was a total scream!

Were those tears in Taylor's eyes??! Wow! Axe's slimy moves against his enemies are really starting to make me hate him.

Speaking of tears, you can really sense that Chuck and Wendy are finito now. How does that old saying go..."You can't go home again."
shivaji likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
Al_the_xmtr_tech is offline  
post #666 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,296
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
How does that old saying go..."You can't go home again."
Especially since Wendy is trying to sell their home, without Chuck's signature or discussing it with him before.
shivaji and Lp85253 like this.
wco81 is offline  
post #667 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 20,169
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7011 Post(s)
Liked: 7100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Just watched it! So much happens in this episode that my head is still spinning! That "Hard Bob" guy from the Dept. of Commerce was a total scream!



Were those tears in Taylor's eyes??! Wow! Axe's slimy moves against his enemies are really starting to make me hate him.



Speaking of tears, you can really sense that Chuck and Wendy are finito now. How does that old saying go..."You can't go home again."


For Taylor yes those are tears in their eyes.
Ph8te is offline  
post #668 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,749
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5089 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Just watched it! So much happens in this episode that my head is still spinning! That "Hard Bob" guy from the Dept. of Commerce was a total scream!

Were those tears in Taylor's eyes??! Wow! Axe's slimy moves against his enemies are really starting to make me hate him.

Speaking of tears, you can really sense that Chuck and Wendy are finito now. How does that old saying go..."You can't go home again."


Hard Bob was great. He reminded me of a 35 year older Billy Bob Thornton.
Tack is offline  
post #669 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shivaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. California
Posts: 2,730
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
I like the actor who played Hard Bob, a good name by the way. He did a great job playing Conrad Hilton in the the series Madmen. As others have said, another great episode. A minor nit i have with this show is that Axe should know that there is plenty of money to be made out there. There is really no good reason to spend so much effort and time undermining Taylor at every turn. I say, let her have her slice of the pie, move on, have fun.
gwsat and Lp85253 like this.
shivaji is offline  
post #670 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 20,169
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7011 Post(s)
Liked: 7100
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I like the actor who played Hard Bob, a good name by the way. He did a great job playing Conrad Hilton in the the series Madmen. As others have said, another great episode. A minor nit i have with this show is that Axe should know that there is plenty of money to be made out there. There is really no good reason to spend so much effort and time undermining Taylor at every turn. I say, let her have her slice of the pie, move on, have fun.


Let “them” have “their” slice of pie....the reason he does it is payback and if he doesn’t then the other titans will see him as weak and go after him. The reason people usually don’t mess with Axe is because payback is a mofo.
Ph8te is offline  
post #671 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shivaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. California
Posts: 2,730
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Let “them” have “their” slice of pie....the reason he does it is payback and if he doesn’t then the other titans will see him as weak and go after him. The reason people usually don’t mess with Axe is because payback is a mofo.

I have forgotten the events of Taylor's departure. Did she initially have a desire to screw with Axe or just get out and stand on her own and find her own path?
shivaji is offline  
post #672 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 20,169
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7011 Post(s)
Liked: 7100
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I have forgotten the events of Taylor's departure. Did she initially have a desire to screw with Axe or just get out and stand on her own and find her own path?


I was trying to correct your use of pronouns for Taylor (it should be they, them, their and not her/she). While it may seem small, it is important for the character (heck even Axe never makes a mistaken even though they are “enemies”).

Taylor leaving and setting up a competing firm is the ultimate betrayal. This of course was after Axe used Taylor and their boyfriend to try to try and offset the 1.5 Billion Adolov withdrew and just “happened” to give to Taylor so that they could set up their own shop. Andolov was a major reason Taylor could do what they did.
Ph8te is offline  
post #673 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
Al_the_xmtr_tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: West Seneca, NY
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I have forgotten the events of Taylor's departure. Did she initially have a desire to screw with Axe or just get out and stand on her own and find her own path?
IIRC, Taylor got upset at Axe's ethics, and they thought that "the boys' club" at Axe Capital took too many risks that were purely based on his ego. Taylor also did not like the way that Axe sometimes just played wild hunches without fully investigating them, sort of like someone with a gambling addiction. And Taylor, being smart and ambitious, definitely was looking to make their own mark on Wall Street, either with or without Axe Capital.
shivaji and Ph8te like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
Al_the_xmtr_tech is offline  
post #674 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,045
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
This was one of the best episodes in Billion's entire run. What topped if off for me was using Joni Mitchell's River as background music as the final scenes unfolded. It's one of her best songs and was given a bit of a revival when Lea Michele did on Glee and just killed it. I forgot to add that Robert Downey Jr. also did an emotional rendition of River on Ally McBeal. It will be on his new CD "Iron Man's Greatest Hits".
Tack and gwsat like this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 04-29-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Cal1981 is online now  
post #675 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,296
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Let “them” have “their” slice of pie....the reason he does it is payback and if he doesn’t then the other titans will see him as weak and go after him. The reason people usually don’t mess with Axe is because payback is a mofo.
No I think Axe does it because he likes to stomp on other people, not because of some strategic fear of competitors.

Look at the way Wags revels in firing people or trying to destroy competitors.

The way he went after that kid, to ruin his firm because he returned Axe's money, has nothing to do with protecting his firm's reputation.

This episode featured Bruno the pizza guy wanting to sell and retire down in FL. Last season, Bruno introduced his nephew or grandson to Bobby and Bobby proceeded to wreck that small town the kid worked in. Bruno was at first upset but then didn't complain too much. That is why Bobby is kind to the old man but open defiance means he's out to destroy.


They try to make Bobby sympathetic at times because what, he likes Metallica, appreciates classic motorcycles, has all these great pop culture references and so on.

But he's clearly out to profit at others' expense, to keep showing what an alpha he is.

Mirroring what law enforcement does on the other side, Connerty is more preoccupied with going after Chuck rather than you know, look into Axe Capital's activities, where they continue to do shady things.

Previous episode, Sacher asks Connerty why he wants to get so much into Chuck's business as NY AG. Says that the turf wars are counterproductive, that they both have enough cases with which to build up their resumes for their careers.

All the characters on both sides of the law are similar. It's not enough for them to get theirs. They have to make sure rivals lose.

Apologists for high CEO pay and hedge fund excesses will often say it's not a zero sum game, that everyone can get their piece and it would be win-win all the way around. But of course, that's not true, as growing inequality shows. And on this show, the characters explicitly aren't interested in win-win. It's about win-destroy.

They were literally celebrating at the pizza place about getting Taylor to break with their father.
shivaji, Tack and Al_the_xmtr_tech like this.
wco81 is offline  
post #676 of 796 Old 04-28-2019, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,045
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
It wiil interesting to see what Wendy does. Clearly being a party to the destruction of Taylor and their father's relationship was the thing about working for Bobby that appeared to finally get to her. Her breaking down and sobbing while jogging was epic. Maggie Siff has been one of the show's strongest performers. Setting up the idiot Treasury Secretary, Chucks machinations in dealing with the guy he got the gun permit for, the money and wild night payoff for Hard Bob (the wonderful character actor Chelsie Ross) and again, the wrecking of father and daughter, it was quite an episode.
shivaji, Tack and Al_the_xmtr_tech like this.
Cal1981 is online now  
post #677 of 796 Old 04-29-2019, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 8,782
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Just leave the S (for Standard) out and it works year round.
Exactly what I was trying to get at.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
My Nov 2019 Northern Ireland Game of Thrones Tour
mrvideo is offline  
post #678 of 796 Old 04-29-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 21,174
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked: 6069
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I have forgotten the events of Taylor's departure. Did she initially have a desire to screw with Axe or just get out and stand on her own and find her own path?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I was trying to correct your use of pronouns for Taylor (it should be they, them, their and not her/she). While it may seem small, it is important for the character (heck even Axe never makes a mistaken even though they are “enemies”).

Taylor leaving and setting up a competing firm is the ultimate betrayal. This of course was after Axe used Taylor and their boyfriend to try to try and offset the 1.5 Billion Adolov withdrew and just “happened” to give to Taylor so that they could set up their own shop. Andolov was a major reason Taylor could do what they did.
I try to refer to Taylor using the personal pronoun, "they," and avoid "she" or "her" too. I do it mostly for political correctness though. Despite Taylor's (Asia Kate Dillon) buzzcut hair and mannish clothes, "they" still look feminine to me, despite "their" best efforts to hide it. In an earlier episode when Taylor's helper convinced "them" to dress in conventionally female clothes for an important meeting, I was blown away by how convincingly feminine expensive designer clothes and shoes, and a convincing wig made Taylor look. "They" were a picture of a pretty and elegant high end business woman. Taylor didn't like doing it, of course, but there it was.
Ph8te likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K

Last edited by gwsat; 04-30-2019 at 06:34 PM.
gwsat is offline  
post #679 of 796 Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 21,174
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked: 6069
Forgot to mention in my previous post how much I enjoyed the episode. I get as big a kick out of Billions these days as I do Game of Thrones.
Ph8te and Cal1981 like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
gwsat is offline  
post #680 of 796 Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,296
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
I more anticipated Succession than this season of Billions.
wco81 is offline  
post #681 of 796 Old 04-30-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 15,931
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked: 4373
For Axe and the Gang, revenge, pay-back, having an "axe" to grind is Sport .. if not Taylor, it would be someone else .. otherwise, we'd have no show ..

I liked the end result of the Pizza Guy .. Axe shows he has a heart ..

And Wendy may be re-thinking her latest moves ..

And yeah, if I were presented with a choice of only one, I'd likely pick "Billions" over "Thrones" .. it would be tough, but oh, well ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #682 of 796 Old 04-30-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 15,931
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked: 4373
I'll add, Taylor is so unique, trusts her intuition, reads people well, yet did falter somewhat with dear old Dad ..
Ph8te likes this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #683 of 796 Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 20,169
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7011 Post(s)
Liked: 7100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I'll add, Taylor is so unique, trusts her intuition, reads people well, yet did falter somewhat with dear old Dad ..


Taylor feel for the trap, hook, line and sinker. In the end Axe used Taylor’s “smarts” against them, knowing exactly what would happen. Taylor trying to do everything Axe didnt, realized all too late that their dad hasn’t changed and that the best move was a clean cut. It hurt them greatly, because they really wanted to restore/rehab that relationship. It was a diabolical plan that hit its mark.
gwsat and Cal1981 like this.
Ph8te is offline  
post #684 of 796 Old 05-01-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 8,782
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Did anyone recognize who the dog owner was? Think bees.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
My Nov 2019 Northern Ireland Game of Thrones Tour
mrvideo is offline  
post #685 of 796 Old 05-01-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,354
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2548 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Let “them” have “their” slice of pie....the reason he does it is payback and if he doesn’t then the other titans will see him as weak and go after him. The reason people usually don’t mess with Axe is because payback is a mofo.
and this is the inherent weakness of all rich / greedy and arrogant .. they all think they need to rule the universe..the "axe" is gonna fall .. it's just when that is the question...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is online now  
post #686 of 796 Old 05-01-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 15,931
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked: 4373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Did anyone recognize who the dog owner was? Think bees.
You bet .. Peter Jacobson, who I remember best from "Colony" and "House" .. he did a nice, smarmy, job in "Billions"
shivaji likes this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #687 of 796 Old 05-06-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shivaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. California
Posts: 2,730
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
Billions was also worth a watch last night. As usual, plenty of plans within plans occurring. Besides the lame boxing match, another good episode. enjoyed seeing ex Navy Seal, Jocko, standing at the foot of the bed. Let the pain begin.


A nice vid of Jocko, now behind the mike. "Good"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTM...&frags=pl%2Cwn
shivaji is offline  
post #688 of 796 Old 05-06-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lax01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,862
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Billions was also worth a watch last night. As usual, plenty of plans within plans occurring. Besides the lame boxing match, another good episode. enjoyed seeing ex Navy Seal, Jocko, standing at the foot of the bed. Let the pain begin.


A nice vid of Jocko, now behind the mike. "Good"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTM...&frags=pl%2Cwn
I honestly thought the boxing scene was hilarious...

Josh
lax01 is online now  
post #689 of 796 Old 05-06-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shivaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. California
Posts: 2,730
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
I honestly thought the boxing scene was hilarious...
Lol, perhaps, I should not have used the word lame. Obviously, staged in the most inept style of fighting possible.

Just a tad hard to watch.
shivaji is offline  
post #690 of 796 Old 05-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Al_the_xmtr_tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: West Seneca, NY
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 788
There was actually another kind of "bout" taking place in the episode that nicely paralleled the charity boxing match: the hilarious way that Taylor and Axe used appearances on CNBC to "spar" with each other. You could easily see characters who possess egos like theirs using that kind of venue to try to "get even" with each other using electronic media; it's much less messy than using their fists!

The actual boxing "event" between Mafee and Dollar Bill did play out just a wee bit lame to me, too--but I'll admit that might even have been the showrunner's intention. I did also start to wince when they cued up Survivor's "Eye Of The Tiger" over the action. The honor of Axe Captial vs. that of Taylor Mason Capital is so far away from being Rocky Balboa vs. Ivan Drago that the absurdity is practically overwhelming!

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
Al_the_xmtr_tech is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off