The General Sci-fi and Fantasy Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 327Likes

post #451 of 549 Old 01-01-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4540 Post(s)
Liked: 5955
Firefly/Serenity marathon on El Rey network today. I hit pause and did something else for an hour. That should get a few episodes of FFing commercials.
ADU likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 549 Old 01-01-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
For the reboot Galactica fans, here's a link to a short video of my highly customized Viper Mk VII model:

Build thread with more pics of the final model is here:

https://imgur.com/a/eL4NEks

I'm currently building Colonial One and am finally coming down the home stretch.
archiguy, ADU, mrvideo and 3 others like this.

David Forbes

My theater
post #453 of 549 Old 01-01-2019, 07:44 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Very cool, David. Love all the lighting effects.
David F likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 549 Old 01-01-2019, 09:08 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Good grief! All of the original Alien films can now be streamed free w/ads on Crackle!

https://www.sonycrackle.com/movies

Probably for a limited time. But thank you Sony!
post #455 of 549 Old 01-01-2019, 09:11 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

While we're on the subject of aliens, has anyone seen any good alien invasion type flicks recently? Maybe something along the lines of Signs or Close Encounters?

Low-budget is ok, as long as it's well-done. I've already seen Arrival and Harbinger Down, but not this recent flick with Wesley Snipes...

Last edited by ADU; 01-01-2019 at 09:39 PM.
post #456 of 549 Old 01-02-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Very cool, David. Love all the lighting effects.
Thank you! It was a challenge to make (as is Colonial One) but I am enjoying getting back into the hobby.

As for alien invasion flicks, A Quiet Place is excellent. The Netflix show Bird Box is sorta/kinda similar and is okay, but I don't really get all of the hype over it. Worth a look though.
ADU likes this.

David Forbes

My theater
post #457 of 549 Old 01-02-2019, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5921 Post(s)
Liked: 6510
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
Thank you! It was a challenge to make (as is Colonial One) but I am enjoying getting back into the hobby.

As for alien invasion flicks, A Quiet Place is excellent. The Netflix show Bird Box is sorta/kinda similar and is okay, but I don't really get all of the hype over it. Worth a look though.
David, did the BSG production design team actually produce models of all those ships or were they largely CGI? I'm guessing with the Vipers and Raptors they actually build full-scale mock-ups. The rest that we only saw in space, including the Galactica? Maybe CGI instead of physical models?
post #458 of 549 Old 01-02-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Firefly/Serenity marathon on El Rey network today. I hit pause and did something else for an hour. That should get a few episodes of FFing commercials.

I haven't watched any Firefly for quite a few years. I always worry in cases like that (and old cars), that my memories of the show are better than the actual show. Not so in this case. If anything, my estimation of the show is higher than ever. What perfect balance.

I spent the whole damn day and watched them all, including the movie. That outro music is way up there too. Whoever canceled this show should get hard labor.
ADU, gprace and RayGuy like this.
post #459 of 549 Old 01-02-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I spent the whole damn day and watched them all, including the movie. That outro music is way up there too. Whoever canceled this show should get hard labor.
Well, FOX executives all across the company's various platforms should get hard labor for a variety of reasons, but what they did to 'Firefly' certainly ranks up near the top.
Garrett Adams and RayGuy like this.
post #460 of 549 Old 01-02-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
David, did the BSG production design team actually produce models of all those ships or were they largely CGI? I'm guessing with the Vipers and Raptors they actually build full-scale mock-ups. The rest that we only saw in space, including the Galactica? Maybe CGI instead of physical models?
Archiguy, from my understanding, Zoic Studios (who did all of the effects for BSG) used only CGI models -- no practical ones were built. The full sized-props of the different Vipers and the Raptor were the only physical builds of the ships.
archiguy likes this.

David Forbes

My theater
post #461 of 549 Old 01-03-2019, 12:09 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for these suggestions, Dave. A Quiet Place is on my to-watch list. I haven't seen any of the Cloverfield or Blomkamp movies either, btw. Or Battle: Los Angeles and Battleship, if anyone has recommendations on any of those.

I have watched a bit of the Monsters movies though...

And I've seen Attack the Block.

I'm tryin to put together a list of other SF movies from the free w/ads streaming sites I use, to hopefully narrow things down a bit. And maybe some folks here can offer a few opinions on some of those. There's alot of stuff to sift through though, esp. on Tubi. And most of it is probably junk.

Last edited by ADU; 01-03-2019 at 12:24 AM.
post #462 of 549 Old 01-03-2019, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Thanks for these suggestions, Dave. A Quiet Place is on my to-watch list. I haven't seen any of the Cloverfield or Blomkamp movies either, btw. Or Battle: Los Angeles and Battleship, if anyone has recommendations on any of those.
I'm tryin to put together a list of other SF movies from the free w/ads streaming sites I use, to hopefully narrow things down a bit. And maybe some folks here can offer a few opinions on some of those. There's alot of stuff to sift through though, esp. on Tubi. And most of it is probably junk.
District 9 can be thrown into your list if you haven't seen it.
archiguy and ADU like this.

post #463 of 549 Old 01-03-2019, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 2053
Quote:
Quote:
Archiguy, from my understanding, Zoic Studios (who did all of the effects for BSG) used only CGI models -- no practical ones were built. The full sized-props of the different Vipers and the Raptor were the only physical builds of the ships.
In the case of CGI based material, usually the closest thing to a model would be a maquette that would be molded as a physical reference to the animators to ensure consistency and to study light and shadow effects. Those are often quite small and are not set up to be a shooting model (no lighting, no mounting point, etc.), so they would not be screen used. In some cases, they might only be for scanning purposes and might not even be painted.

For example, some stuff from Harry Potter:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG-IMG_6421.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	2504872  
archiguy likes this.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 01-03-2019 at 05:46 AM.
post #464 of 549 Old 01-06-2019, 10:44 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

The Triangle (2005, TV) - FTV - streamed free on The Roku Channel

Watched this last night. Alot of build-up for not much payoff. On the upside, the cast was pretty good. And it was free, with few (if any?) commercial interruptions.
post #465 of 549 Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
District 9 can be thrown into your list if you haven't seen it.
Thanks, BCRSS. I think my library may have this on DVD.
post #466 of 549 Old 01-06-2019, 11:01 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Still on the table, for anyone else who wants to participate...

1. Favorite SF/fantasy movies or series, old or new, viewed in 2018?

2. Recent alien-themed movies or series that you thought were good?

Last edited by ADU; 01-06-2019 at 11:22 AM.
post #467 of 549 Old 01-06-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6869 Post(s)
Liked: 15444
You need to check out Triangle. Damn good movie. But pay attention. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/

Some SF shows I enjoy off the top o' me head

Counterpart
Travelers
Dark
ADU and Keenan like this.

post #468 of 549 Old 01-06-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked: 1753
Quote:
For the reboot Galactica fans, here's a link to a short video of my highly customized Viper Mk VII model:

Very nice! I love this kind of stuff!

Quote:
I haven't watched any Firefly for quite a few years. I always worry in cases like that (and old cars), that my memories of the show are better than the actual show. Not so in this case. If anything, my estimation of the show is higher than ever. What perfect balance.

It pains me to think what Firefly really could have become. Replaced by DVDs with Blu-Rays last year, and upgraded Serenity to the UHD version, great DTS:X sound! Yeah, agree on those execs! But it definitely made me a bit of Nathan Fillion fan. Really liked Castle, especially whenever there would be a nod to Firefly. And not that it's Sci-Fi, but the Rookie ain't bad, and it includes as many of you would know Melissa O'Neil from Dark Matter. The SyFy folks should do time for cancelling that one too in my opinion.....
ADU likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #469 of 549 Old 01-06-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 2053
Quote:

And I've seen Attack the Block.

Despite mixed reviews and a poor box office showing, I actually enjoyed Attack the Block.

A Quiet Place, on the other hand, I found silly. It violated its own rules on multiple occasions and the characters did multiple stupid things just so the plot could place them in danger or seem heroic. Further, the complete lack of defensive measures based on what we learn later in the movie make the whole thing pointless with my respect for the characters pretty much at zero.

I don't know how it managed to get so many good reviews.

Granted, it was a sound concept, just poorly executed.
ADU likes this.
post #470 of 549 Old 01-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Just discovered this thread and working my way through older posts.

Huge B5 fan - back in the day when it aired I was following the Usenet group where jms posted and it was a really cool experience to get so much insight and inside info.

Recently The Expanse is the best thing I've seen in many years. Just hearing about Charlie Jade and I see that it's available now via Amazon Prime so I've added it to my watchlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
You need to check out Triangle. Damn good movie. But pay attention. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/

Some SF shows I enjoy off the top o' me head

Counterpart
Travelers
Dark
My wife, who is generally not a SF fan (but does like fantasy), somehow found out about Travelers and we binged the first 2 seasons about a year ago and are looking forward to S3. One of the things I like about it is the Canadian sensibilities where people sometimes actually resolve conflict by talking instead of immediately drawing guns. Seems like a novelty today.
JimProuty and ADU like this.

My system info.
Spoiler!
post #471 of 549 Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 94
A book series I'd love to see get made, that was actually announced a year or two ago, is The Black Company books by Glen Cook. It's military/mercenary fantasy from the "grunt" POV, with some dark humor woven in. Seems like Cook is now considered the progenitor of what's called "grimdark" which is exemplified by, among other things, GOT / ASoIaF. It also has an element that make it extremely ripe for adapting for today's sensibilities - multiple strong female characters. In at least one later book women are basically running everything. Eliza Dushku was involved as a producer for TBC but there doesn't seem to have been anything happen since the initial blurbs so I suspect it's been shelved for now.
ADU likes this.

My system info.
Spoiler!
post #472 of 549 Old 01-07-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheroy View Post
Recently The Expanse is the best thing I've seen in many years. Just hearing about Charlie Jade and I see that it's available now via Amazon Prime so I've added it to my watchlist.
Second the sentiments on 'The Expanse', and highly recommend 'Charlie Jade', one of the most underrated sci-fi series of all time. The SciFi Network (I think that's how they spelled their logo at the time) really screwed the pooch with that one, and their unwillingness to help finance a second season is why there never was one.

It was filmed in South Africa, really gorgeous locations, in widescreen SD. Several of us here have been able to score the DVD sets, but this is the first I've heard of it being available on Amazon. Good news for those who haven't seen it!
Garrett Adams, ADU and Keenan like this.
post #473 of 549 Old 01-10-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
You're welcome. Hope you're enjoying some quality sci-fi. Better than Netflix's recent offerings of How It Ends and Extinction.
How was Extinction? I have it on my list, but my TV time has taken a big hit lately, so culling is occurring...

v/r,
C-F
post #474 of 549 Old 01-11-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6869 Post(s)
Liked: 15444
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
How was Extinction? I have it on my list, but my TV time has taken a big hit lately, so culling is occurring...

v/r,
C-F
It's been awhile since I watched this. I had to dig deep into the memory vault. Lol. I recall Extinction being boring and a bit predictable. Just didn't do it for me. You really taxed my medulla oblongata... and on a Friday! I feel like Ted Ferguson.

post #475 of 549 Old 01-18-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
It's been awhile since I watched this. I had to dig deep into the memory vault. Lol. I recall Extinction being boring and a bit predictable. Just didn't do it for me. You really taxed my medulla oblongata... and on a Friday! I feel like Ted Ferguson.
Ah. Thanks!

v/r,
C-F
post #476 of 549 Old 03-03-2019, 07:17 PM

I was thinking about TNG's conflict with the Borg. Jean Luc was totally used up by that. The gravity of the situation was so apparent. They even brought out some of Starfleet Command's distrust of him many episodes later.

Then the episode with his brother who unconventionally helped him to snap out of it, so well done. Lots of forgettable TNG episodes, but also some damn good ones.
RayGuy likes this.
post #477 of 549 Old 03-04-2019, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
I was thinking about TNG's conflict with the Borg. Jean Luc was totally used up by that. The gravity of the situation was so apparent. They even brought out some of Starfleet Command's distrust of him many episodes later...
Loved how they also worked that same mistrust of Picard into the plot of 1996's Star Trek: First Contact, near the beginning when NCC-1701E is "disinvited" to the battle against the Borg near Earth. I've heard that the forthcoming CBSAA Picard series will also deal with how Jean-Luc was psychologically damaged during the period he was "borgified." Just hope that they don't get "too real" and make him having to endure senility in the new series! Could they actually be cooking up something epic on the new show, like unifying the different Trek universes? It's interesting that it will be shot back at Paramount in L.A., where TNG was made, rather than in Canada, where the most recent ST films and TV series were lensed.
Tack likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 03-04-2019 at 04:27 PM.
post #478 of 549 Old 04-04-2019, 09:58 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Goin through some of the freebie streaming options again, on YT, Roku Channel, Tubi, Crackle, Vudu, etc.. If you ever happen to get bored, and are lookin for somethin old or new that's different to watch, here are some freebies you can enjoy on the YT movie channel... FOR FREE! (with some ads unfortunately)

ANIMATION:
All Dogs Go to Heaven
Battle for Terra
Dino King
Elephant Kingdom (dubbed in English, animation looks like the Star Wars toons)
Happily N'Ever After I & II (animation isn't as good on the sequel, but the first one looks pretty fun)
Igor (not my favorite, but some may enjoy)
The Pebble and the Penguin (haven't watched, but the old-school animation by Don Bluth & company looks pretty good)
The Secret of NIMH (more Bluth... Five Stars!)

LIVE-ACTION:
The Arrival (only mono sound, but a pretty fun movie)
Earth Girls Are Easy (any movie with Angelique can't be all bad)
Europa Report (looks like kind of a snoozer to me, but might be ok)
The Man in the Iron Mask
Masters of the Universe
Monsters (watched about half, and then gave up... requires sign-in)
The Sorcerer and the White Snake (in Chinese with subs)

There are a number of other Asian martial arts type films as well, but you'll have to sign in to watch most of those. Same goes for the Species films.

Find all the above and more here...

https://www.youtube.com/movies?list_...KWUl2SAxsKuKwx

Did I mention they're free?

Last edited by ADU; 04-04-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #479 of 549 Old 04-04-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Did I mention they're free?
Given that list, I'm not surprised. Some of 'em I wouldn't watch if they paid me.
post #480 of 549 Old 04-04-2019, 10:12 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Given that list, I'm not surprised. Some of 'em I wouldn't watch if they paid me.
Yeah... but they're FREEEEEE!! YIPPEEE!!

YT does need a better name for its free movie channel than PLHPTxTxtC0ibVZrT2_WKWUl2SAxsKuKwx though.

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
fantasy , sci fi , science fiction , space , worm holes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page