Directv II HD/4k - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15455Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3721 of 5069 Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sharp1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,441
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I've read hundreds opinions about the DTV three UHD channels... here and at dbstalk ... my head is still spinning, each poster have own view and many of them opposite

I don't understand how I would base my own desire on someone else opinion in such subjective matter as UHD viewing;
knowing schedule of 104-105-106 and watching UHD samples at stores, I'm not rush to buy new UHD TV. Yet.

I had rationalized as you are doing and then decided to switch from a Panasonic 50" Plasma, to a 75" Sony 940D. My 50" was always too small for my room! There is a huge difference bewteen the two as would be expected. I didn't buy it to watch just watch DTV in 4K, that would be silly. Those programs still will not match viewing a UHD Blu-ray movie in the UHD/Atmos format. There is also YouTube that has 4K HDR videos. Lots of material being released now.
joe221 likes this.
Sharp1080 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3722 of 5069 Old 05-08-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,801
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Ditto to UHD Blu-ray player/movies.
P Smith is offline  
post #3723 of 5069 Old 05-08-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by crsloan View Post
Well best I could do was get a reduced install fee of $25 and no charge for the C61K. Coming Thursday to install. Still in contract until July 2018.
For being inside a contract it sound like you got a reasonable deal. Sounds like a $25 total for all the work and hardware. No contract extension, right. Keep a reminder when your contract is up. After that see what you can get. “The cost is hurting” is always a good starting place.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3724 of 5069 Old 05-08-2018, 03:34 PM
Member
 
crsloan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW Area
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
For being inside a contract it sound like you got a reasonable deal. Sounds like a $25 total for all the work and hardware. No contract extension, right. Keep a reminder when your contract is up. After that see what you can get. “The cost is hurting” is always a good starting place.
No contract extension!!!
joe221 likes this.

Family Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D 4K TV, Denon AVR X4400H, Oppo UDP 203 4K Blu Ray Player, Apple 4K TV, Directv HR54 Genie, Directv C61K 4K Client
Klipsch RF83s, L&R mains, RC64, Center, RS 62s, Back Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos RP 140SA, SVS SB-16 Ultra, RSW15 Subs, 5.2.4 system.
Bedroom: Sony XBR 49 900F, Oppo UDP 203 4K Blu Ray Player, Directv C61K 4K Client.
crsloan is offline  
post #3725 of 5069 Old 05-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
rjhseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Memphis
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
Trying to follow this thread.I still have the hr44/700 genie plus 3 mini's. I actually contacted DTV via chat and as others have stated only 3 channels right now. Those of you that have upgraded has it been worth it just for 3 channels? I don't know what those channels are or the programing . would love to upgrade since I've been with DTV along time but I just don't see it as of yet to upgrade.Just asking of opinions of those that did.
No. Get an Apple TV 4K for the best 4K in PQ. Not enough content on DTV until the big boys come in: ESPN, HBO, Showtime and SOME network 4K programming. Plus you have one receiver that is actually a receiver. Everything else is a client or dummy that requires the server to work.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
rjhseven is offline  
post #3726 of 5069 Old 05-08-2018, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rocky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: miami
Posts: 2,288
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
No. Get an Apple TV 4K for the best 4K in PQ. Not enough content on DTV until the big boys come in: ESPN, HBO, Showtime and SOME network 4K programming. Plus you have one receiver that is actually a receiver. Everything else is a client or dummy that requires the server to work.
Have the appletv 4k. And my sentiments exactly
rjhseven likes this.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
rocky1 is online now  
post #3727 of 5069 Old 05-08-2018, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have both the AppleTV 4K and the Roku Ultra. Both do a brilliant job with 4K. But IMHO the interface to YouTube on the Roku kills the AppleTV. YouTubes interface has gone through a plethora of updates lately and they each have their own UI. Originally I favored AppleTVs interface but they didn’t support 4K yet and I found others. Then they all updated and Apple drew the very slow clunky straw. Roku designed a very fast and well thought out UI.

So unless you’re married to Apple’s line up, (as I am) I advise checking out the Roku Ultra.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #3728 of 5069 Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 522
I have an extreme dislike for Apple. For media players look at Roku or if you want lots and lots of options and flexibility an Android box. The Android box can and will do things Apple will never let you do.

As for D 4K I do not know if it's worth the effort at the moment, too little when there is a great amount elsewhere.
azz7686 likes this.
Matt L is offline  
post #3729 of 5069 Old 05-09-2018, 06:07 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Miami
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
I have both the AppleTV 4K and the Roku Ultra. Both do a brilliant job with 4K. But IMHO the interface to YouTube on the Roku kills the AppleTV. YouTubes interface has gone through a plethora of updates lately and they each have their own UI. Originally I favored AppleTVs interface but they didn’t support 4K yet and I found others. Then they all updated and Apple drew the very slow clunky straw. Roku designed a very fast and well thought out UI.

So unless you’re married to Apple’s line up, (as I am) I advise checking out the Roku Ultra.
question if one has a new smart tv like a Samsung ect why use a apple tv or roku when Samsung sets already give you hbo,show,netflix,you tube,vudu,hulu ect and all the important ones
SUperEd007 is offline  
post #3730 of 5069 Old 05-09-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUperEd007 View Post
question if one has a new smart tv like a Samsung ect why use a apple tv or roku when Samsung sets already give you hbo,show,netflix,you tube,vudu,hulu ect and all the important ones
For me it’s getting the sound right and full control. I’d need ARC or an optical cable and that lowers the quality than can be delivered via HDMI and messes up my Harmony setup. If your rig is simple absolutely the TV features are fine. Some are Roku driven, too. My bedroom set is a TCL with Roku. Just running as is.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #3731 of 5069 Old 05-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
rjhseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Memphis
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
I have both the AppleTV 4K and the Roku Ultra. Both do a brilliant job with 4K. But IMHO the interface to YouTube on the Roku kills the AppleTV. YouTubes interface has gone through a plethora of updates lately and they each have their own UI. Originally I favored AppleTVs interface but they didn’t support 4K yet and I found others. Then they all updated and Apple drew the very slow clunky straw. Roku designed a very fast and well thought out UI.

So unless you’re married to Apple’s line up, (as I am) I advise checking out the Roku Ultra.
Roku has by far the best interface. I have the Premiere Plus. Apple 4K is a good bit ahead on PQ.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
rjhseven is offline  
post #3732 of 5069 Old 05-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Member
 
crsloan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW Area
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Installing 3rd C61K

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsloan View Post
No contract extension!!!
Came today on time and installed the 3rd C61K on my Sony 4K TV. Had the HR54 attached to this TV so he had to split the signal, one to the HR54 and one to the C61K and added an additional HDMI cable for the C61K to Sony TV HDMI One. The HR54 to Sony TV HDMI three. So up and running with no problems. Cost me the negotiated $25 install fee and now paying another $7 per month for the additional C61K. Left me a spare remote. So far so good.
joe221, I WANT MORE and Terminader like this.

Family Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D 4K TV, Denon AVR X4400H, Oppo UDP 203 4K Blu Ray Player, Apple 4K TV, Directv HR54 Genie, Directv C61K 4K Client
Klipsch RF83s, L&R mains, RC64, Center, RS 62s, Back Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos RP 140SA, SVS SB-16 Ultra, RSW15 Subs, 5.2.4 system.
Bedroom: Sony XBR 49 900F, Oppo UDP 203 4K Blu Ray Player, Directv C61K 4K Client.
crsloan is offline  
post #3733 of 5069 Old 05-10-2018, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Carter D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I have an extreme dislike for Apple. For media players look at Roku or if you want lots and lots of options and flexibility an Android box. The Android box can and will do things Apple will never let you do.

As for D 4K I do not know if it's worth the effort at the moment, too little when there is a great amount elsewhere.
Why the dislike?
joe221 and Seadaddy like this.

LG 65 EF 9500,Yamaha 3050,Oppo 203
Directv C61 4K box, Apple TV, SONOS Connect
Triad Bronze Center, Triad Bronze LR-H Atmos, Elan inwall surrounds, Velodyne Subs,
Savant Remote, Harmony Ultimate Home remote
"It ain't 4K if it ain't shot in 4K"
Carter D is offline  
post #3734 of 5069 Old 05-10-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Roku has by far the best interface. I have the Premiere Plus. Apple 4K is a good bit ahead on PQ.
Can you site me an example with the same programming, preferably in 4K that I should notice an improvement on the AppleTV. I think both are fine. I don’t have DolbyVision where Apple has more support.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #3735 of 5069 Old 05-10-2018, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter D View Post
Why the dislike?
Apple products are too locked down for me. I bought an iPad years ago, a simple thing like running eq on an audio feed was next to impossible and when possible only worked on certain feeds. With my android equipment I could easily do it. I like to tinker or hack if you will, I want stuff to do what I want not what the manufacturer say I can do. Still have the iPad, use it in the bathroom to stream Pandora via bluetooth, my other android tablets get used all over the house all the time for everything. My new TV has Roku built in, it does pretty much want I want, but at some point I might want to add an android box for more flexibility. I get tired of dealing with DNLA servers and transcoding, my now replaced open source Kodi box could play files raw without that step. Plus sometimes I"d like to have a web browser available, Roku does not offer that.
Terminader, azz7686 and mdram like this.
Matt L is offline  
post #3736 of 5069 Old 05-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
rjhseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Memphis
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
Can you site me an example with the same programming, preferably in 4K that I should notice an improvement on the AppleTV. I think both are fine. I don’t have DolbyVision where Apple has more support.
I watched a Memphis Tigers basketball game from the WAtchESPN app and it was the best PQ I have ever gotten from one the the ESPN networks, especially the ESPN3 and ESPNU networks; all die hard sports fans who are AV buffs know these are the two lowest bandwidth stations of the ESPN family and the PQ looks bad on Directv on the U.
It was almost like in 1080p on the Memphis game watching on ATV 4K.

I knew then the uprading being done by this streamer was the best I had seen. The unit supposedly upgrades everything to 4K and that game wasn’t in 4K but it sure looked good to me. Cant recall a specific 4K program that I have watched on both unit to compare but I would put my money on the Apple. Even when you turn it on the stunning screen savers are unreal.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast

Last edited by rjhseven; 05-10-2018 at 06:31 PM.
rjhseven is offline  
post #3737 of 5069 Old 05-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
rjhseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Memphis
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Apple products are too locked down for me. I bought an iPad years ago, a simple thing like running eq on an audio feed was next to impossible and when possible only worked on certain feeds. With my android equipment I could easily do it. I like to tinker or hack if you will, I want stuff to do what I want not what the manufacturer say I can do. Still have the iPad, use it in the bathroom to stream Pandora via bluetooth, my other android tablets get used all over the house all the time for everything. My new TV has Roku built in, it does pretty much want I want, but at some point I might want to add an android box for more flexibility. I get tired of dealing with DNLA servers and transcoding, my now replaced open source Kodi box could play files raw without that step. Plus sometimes I"d like to have a web browser available, Roku does not offer that.
Well, basically you are saying you don’t like an Apple product because you don’t like that it won’t do what it WAS NOT DESIGNED TO DO. OK.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
rjhseven is offline  
post #3738 of 5069 Old 05-10-2018, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jconjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,843
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
Great, first the Nvidia Shield thread turned into an Apple ATV thread and now this one is heading that way too. Wonderful....

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
jconjason is offline  
post #3739 of 5069 Old 05-10-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 5,864
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Well, basically you are saying you don’t like an Apple product because you don’t like that it won’t do what it WAS NOT DESIGNED TO DO. OK.
Basically, yes. I'm quite familiar with a number of operating systems, thought I'd explore Apple, decided it's not for me.Stating my case so others can make up their own mind. I feel like Apple products are similar to training wheels, every now and then I might want to do a wheelie...

Back on topic, I've been out of the D 4k loop, are there any additional channels announced?
Matt L is offline  
post #3740 of 5069 Old 05-10-2018, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
rjhseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Memphis
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Great, first the Nvidia Shield thread turned into an Apple ATV thread and now this one is heading that way too. Wonderful....
Well I don’t think you can talk 4K without throwing Apple Roku out there for COMPARISON to DTV and it ain’t close. Both of the streamers have 1000 times the content and the PQ is do much better. Watch DTV 4K doesn’t impress fresh eyes like Apple or Roku can. As far as Nvidia, that is very much of a niche product that not many posters in this forum use.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
rjhseven is offline  
post #3741 of 5069 Old 05-10-2018, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
I watched a Memphis Tigers basketball game from the WAtchESPN app and it was the best PQ I have ever gotten from one the the ESPN networks, especially the ESPN3 and ESPNU networks; all die hard sports fans who are AV buffs know these are the two lowest bandwidth stations of the ESPN family and the PQ looks bad on Directv on the U.
It was almost like in 1080p on the Memphis game watching on ATV 4K.

I knew then the uprading being done by this streamer was the best I had seen. The unit supposedly upgrades everything to 4K and that game wasn’t in 4K but it sure looked good to me. Cant recall a specific 4K program that I have watched on both unit to compare but I would put my money on the Apple. Even when you turn it on the stunning screen savers are unreal.
That’s an app difference. I meant a video you saw in 4K on one then the other and they were different. I grant Apple apps are “generally” superior to Android/Linux. YouTube a thorny difference. The Apple versions slow, clunky and poorly laid out. Amazingly a few months ago before the big YouTube app roll out. Aplp,e had the best UI and smooth app. Something went horribly wrong.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #3742 of 5069 Old 05-11-2018, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Carter D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Apple products are too locked down for me. I bought an iPad years ago, a simple thing like running eq on an audio feed was next to impossible and when possible only worked on certain feeds. With my android equipment I could easily do it. I like to tinker or hack if you will, I want stuff to do what I want not what the manufacturer say I can do. Still have the iPad, use it in the bathroom to stream Pandora via bluetooth, my other android tablets get used all over the house all the time for everything. My new TV has Roku built in, it does pretty much want I want, but at some point I might want to add an android box for more flexibility. I get tired of dealing with DNLA servers and transcoding, my now replaced open source Kodi box could play files raw without that step. Plus sometimes I"d like to have a web browser available, Roku does not offer that.
Thanks for answering.

LG 65 EF 9500,Yamaha 3050,Oppo 203
Directv C61 4K box, Apple TV, SONOS Connect
Triad Bronze Center, Triad Bronze LR-H Atmos, Elan inwall surrounds, Velodyne Subs,
Savant Remote, Harmony Ultimate Home remote
"It ain't 4K if it ain't shot in 4K"
Carter D is offline  
post #3743 of 5069 Old 05-11-2018, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
rjhseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Memphis
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
That’s an app difference. I meant a video you saw in 4K on one then the other and they were different. I grant Apple apps are “generally” superior to Android/Linux. YouTube a thorny difference. The Apple versions slow, clunky and poorly laid out. Amazingly a few months ago before the big YouTube app roll out. Aplp,e had the best UI and smooth app. Something went horribly wrong.
It’s not an App difference. If there is any app that is generic, it is the ESPN app. You missed my point. The Apple 4K does a much better job of up converting sub standard Directv HD and most steaming Apps and upconverting it to a much higher true resolution (or the PQ implies that) and the app works the same on both Roku Premiere and Apple 4K.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast

Last edited by rjhseven; 05-11-2018 at 08:16 PM.
rjhseven is offline  
post #3744 of 5069 Old 05-14-2018, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
rr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
i was directed here to read about my small unit being ultra slow after the menu update . I've scrolled through a bunch of pages but mostly have seen roku versus apple tv discussion. Anyone have any idea what page this is discussed?
rr14 is offline  
post #3745 of 5069 Old 05-14-2018, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,801
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr14 View Post
i was directed here to read about my small unit being ultra slow after the menu update . I've scrolled through a bunch of pages but mostly have seen roku versus apple tv discussion. Anyone have any idea what page this is discussed?
did you try cold reboot/cut power for a minute of your server and clients ?
P Smith is offline  
post #3746 of 5069 Old 05-16-2018, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
rr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
did you try cold reboot/cut power for a minute of your server and clients ?
thanks; will do! I have swapped out the other genie but I haven't reset the main one yet.
rr14 is offline  
post #3747 of 5069 Old 05-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 85
What's the latest on the C61-K outputting BT2020 at all times (both 4k and non-4k)? Does it outputting BT2020 at all times have an effect (negative or even positive) on picture quality when watching regular HD programming (non-4k)?

I dropped a new C61-K in today...replacing a C41...that is attached to my LG OLED C7. I noted, as others in this thread have, that the C61K is outputting BT2020 at all times. My impression is that there is no, or almost an imperceptible, difference in picture quality between the C41 and C61K when on non-4K channels but I wanted to see whether other users think the BT2020 being active at all times is having any effect.
Chris Hansen is offline  
post #3748 of 5069 Old 05-16-2018, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,801
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Have you seen a sign of Rec.2100 when watching a content marked as HLG/HDR ? The Rec.2020 is cover SDR UHD stream ...
P Smith is offline  
post #3749 of 5069 Old 05-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
 
DrDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, Tampa Bay
Posts: 16,693
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2126 Post(s)
Liked: 4033
4K Sports
DirecTV and Fox Sports To Offer US Open Golf Live In 4K HDR In June
By Stephan Jukic – May 17, 2018 - 4k.com

If you’re a serious fan of Pro Golf and want to see many of the world’s best players in the clearest possible video resolution live, then the US Open between June 14th and the 17th is your ticket to one hell of an experience. This special broadcast event will be brought exclusively to DirecTV customers courtesy of Fox Sports through its use of 5G network technology and it will be a first-ever event. That is to say that this will be the first time in sports history where a 4K camera crew is on hand to transmit the major plays live in ultra HD over a 5G network to a public audience.

Fox Sports viewers with subscriptions to DirecTV’s 4K service will have access to the broadcast and we’d call this a must-see event for 4K TV-owning golf fans across the U.S.

5G technology is a new angle to live 4K sportscasts but the technology has been toyed with in the past as a possible effective solution to ultra HD broadcasting due to its ultra-powerful multi-gigabit data capacity and its growing use across different types of networks. 5G was even used already in a major sports broadcast when Intel helped with delivery of the recent PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games through the technology.

The highly experimental but fully subscriber-accessible Fox Sports 5G broadcast will however be the first ever for a major U.S sports event.

Fox will be recording the U.S Open though its Fox Innovation Lab production teams and the footage will also feature HDR mastering for compatible DirecTV subscribers’ 4K TVs. Shooting will be done by two 4K cameras positioned at a strategic location and from there distributed via the 5G network by the Fox Sports production truck.

Most importantly of all though, this public trial of 4K over 5G network technology will let Fox Sports and other broadcasters know how viable the technology is for future sports or other live broadcasts. If it proves to be highly workable (and this isn’t exactly a settled matter quite yet) then the experiment paves the way for a whole host of easily-accessible major sports content for the public via 5G networks.

Partner companies in the trial run include Ericsson, which will be providing 5G radios, broadband, a simulated network core and a 4K video decoder/encoder; and Intel, which is going to deliver the main 5G Mobile Trial Platform to Fox Sports. This device can transmit data at up to 1.6Gbps while converting 5G data to IP format. In other words, more than enough broadband and compatibility for the 4K video of the Golf tournament.

As for the consumer end of this entire broadcast, the main events will be available to DirecTV subscribers with 4K-enabled packages and their own 4K UHD TVs in their homes. Having an HDR TV is also going to be useful since the broadcast will be going live with HDR encoding. Further details about how DirecTV subscribers can access the U.S Open in 4K on June 14th might be forthcoming but so far as we know, if you’re already a customer of DirecTV with 4K service and a 4K TV, you’re good to go on this.

http://4k.com/news/directv-and-fox-s...in-june-23738/
joe221, jmacari and longhorn23 like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
DrDon is online now  
post #3750 of 5069 Old 05-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
tang7969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tonawanda NY
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Am I the only one that can't stand the newest update to the Directv software?
joe221 and jimsmith94 like this.

SAMSUNG UN607150- Sony UDP X800- PSA 210T L/R -PHANTOM CENTER -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR7008 - APPLE TV -MONSTER POWER HTS2600MK -DIRECTV HR44 -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG UN466500- ENERGY 50'S L/R - DENON-AVR-3311CI- PS3 -APPLETV- MINI GENIE
tang7969 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off