post #3751 of 6351 Old 05-19-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post
Am I the only one that can't stand the newest update to the Directv software?
No! And apparently we're not the only ones.

db
joe221 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 6351 Old 05-19-2018, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Not really 4K related, I don’t think. I have the HR17 downstairs in the Family Room and a C41W in my Media room since my projector isn’t 4K. Every now and then, the C41W will freeze and a fairly loud high pitched sound comes out of the speakers, like a ringing in your ears. Does anyone else have this happen to them? If so, is it possible to get it to quit? Thanks in advance

Sony HW55ES Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
JAMO c80 sur Surround
post #3753 of 6351 Old 05-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
4K Sports
DirecTV and Fox Sports To Offer US Open Golf Live In 4K HDR In June
By Stephan Jukic – May 17, 2018 - 4k.com

If you’re a serious fan of Pro Golf and want to see many of the world’s best players in the clearest possible video resolution live, then the US Open between June 14th and the 17th is your ticket to one hell of an experience. This special broadcast event will be brought exclusively to DirecTV customers courtesy of Fox Sports through its use of 5G network technology and it will be a first-ever event. That is to say that this will be the first time in sports history where a 4K camera crew is on hand to transmit the major plays live in ultra HD over a 5G network to a public audience.

Fox Sports viewers with subscriptions to DirecTV’s 4K service will have access to the broadcast and we’d call this a must-see event for 4K TV-owning golf fans across the U.S.

5G technology is a new angle to live 4K sportscasts but the technology has been toyed with in the past as a possible effective solution to ultra HD broadcasting due to its ultra-powerful multi-gigabit data capacity and its growing use across different types of networks. 5G was even used already in a major sports broadcast when Intel helped with delivery of the recent PyeongChang Winter Olympic Games through the technology.

The highly experimental but fully subscriber-accessible Fox Sports 5G broadcast will however be the first ever for a major U.S sports event.

Fox will be recording the U.S Open though its Fox Innovation Lab production teams and the footage will also feature HDR mastering for compatible DirecTV subscribers’ 4K TVs. Shooting will be done by two 4K cameras positioned at a strategic location and from there distributed via the 5G network by the Fox Sports production truck.

Most importantly of all though, this public trial of 4K over 5G network technology will let Fox Sports and other broadcasters know how viable the technology is for future sports or other live broadcasts. If it proves to be highly workable (and this isn’t exactly a settled matter quite yet) then the experiment paves the way for a whole host of easily-accessible major sports content for the public via 5G networks.

Partner companies in the trial run include Ericsson, which will be providing 5G radios, broadband, a simulated network core and a 4K video decoder/encoder; and Intel, which is going to deliver the main 5G Mobile Trial Platform to Fox Sports. This device can transmit data at up to 1.6Gbps while converting 5G data to IP format. In other words, more than enough broadband and compatibility for the 4K video of the Golf tournament.

As for the consumer end of this entire broadcast, the main events will be available to DirecTV subscribers with 4K-enabled packages and their own 4K UHD TVs in their homes. Having an HDR TV is also going to be useful since the broadcast will be going live with HDR encoding. Further details about how DirecTV subscribers can access the U.S Open in 4K on June 14th might be forthcoming but so far as we know, if you’re already a customer of DirecTV with 4K service and a 4K TV, you’re good to go on this.

http://4k.com/news/directv-and-fox-s...in-june-23738/
Looking forward to this, the US Open; Also, the AT&T Byron Nelson, holes 16,17,18 was on in 4k on channel 106...really nice viewing.
Terminader likes this.

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3754 of 6351 Old 05-19-2018, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldtoo View Post
Not really 4K related, I don’t think. I have the HR17 downstairs in the Family Room and a C41W in my Media room since my projector isn’t 4K. Every now and then, the C41W will freeze and a fairly loud high pitched sound comes out of the speakers, like a ringing in your ears. Does anyone else have this happen to them? If so, is it possible to get it to quit? Thanks in advance
This thread is HD/4K. Some have the impression it’s 4k only.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/http:/...rectv-ii-hd-4k
joe221 likes this.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #3755 of 6351 Old 05-19-2018, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Confirmed ! WORLD CUP Games will air LIVE in 4K HDR !!!

Just received large World Cup 2018 color brochure in the mail from DTV announcing that "for the first time ever, watch the games in stunning 4K HDR.... on Channels 105 and 106... If 4K TV does not support HDR, content will be viewable in standard 4K... Available games may vary based on programming package subscription..." (Games will be broadcast by FOX broadcast network and Fox Sports 1)

Woo hoo !!!
post #3756 of 6351 Old 05-19-2018, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
nope
I've seen a lot of complaints around the internet and other site
post #3757 of 6351 Old 05-20-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario315 View Post
Just received large World Cup 2018 color brochure in the mail from DTV announcing that "for the first time ever, watch the games in stunning 4K HDR.... on Channels 105 and 106... If 4K TV does not support HDR, content will be viewable in standard 4K... Available games may vary based on programming package subscription..." (Games will be broadcast by FOX broadcast network and Fox Sports 1)

Woo hoo !!!
Post a scan of it?
Terminader likes this.
post #3758 of 6351 Old 05-20-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked: 823
http://insider.directv.com/soccerfest/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47545B08-36B6-4E5C-ACFF-302ADA953F92_1526836177668.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	2405078  
joe221 and mario315 like this.
post #3759 of 6351 Old 05-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX2112 View Post
I have suspected DTV was causing the blinking problem for me. I have only had my SONY 65Z9D for three weeks. But on my old SONY 55HX929 for the last 6 months or so I have had the blinking problem. I had an old DTV HR22. I just got done (yesterday) installing a HR54 the 4K client and dish. I hope that helps with the blinking problem. I needed a new set up any way...

I should add my blinking problem hasn't involved a black screen. It's been a disruption in the picture lasting a split second. The only way I can describe it would be as if you pulled out the plug while the TV was playing but could insert it fast enough so the screen doesn't go black (if that made any sense). Or like a blink with your eyes....

(edit) For me the problem was a lot worse on certain channels. Like espn with baseball. Switching over to a MLB package channel same game. No blinking. TNT with basketball also caused blinking. So did HGTV & DIY. But those 2 channels I have not had a problem with in a couple weeks....
I too have a Sony. Actually 2. The 930e and 800d. It's an odd coincidence still I have doubts this has anything to do with Sony. This problem occurred before the DV upgrade and it never occurs when I'm streaming from the apps or my Apple 4k TV. Specifically I have two issues, the screen going black way too frequently for a moment or two and the picture freezing for a couple of seconds. On one Sony the signal goes through a Denon receiver and the other it goes straight to the TV. I have the HS17 connected with 2 4k minis. Anyway I finally had enough of this. 2 service visits including one where everything was switched out (including a 15 year old dish) and the problems persist.They are sending me 2 regular minis and things will be back as they were before. I had to argue with them to drop the 2 year commitment when I went to the 4k equipment. The CSR wasn't making a reasonable argument to continue the contract but eventually got it reversed. She said one thing everyone should take note.... she doesn't recommend the 4k system to anyone. This just isn't worth it for 2 channels and occasional sports events.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #3760 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldtoo View Post

the hs17 is full of issues/bugs.
i still consider it an alpha release product. add in the new software and its really horrible

you can try getting a wired unit, see if that helps

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #3761 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried digging through the thread but didn't see anything.

Is anyone able to run DTV 4K through their Xbox One X? When connected DirecTV does not detect 4K and does 1080P on the TV. The TV is 4K, and from the Xbox side it is all green for every 4K mode. I can also use apps on the Xbox/Samsung in 4K.

Is this a pass-through issue, or can I not pipe 4K through the X via the DTV receiver? I'd really like the oneguide and ability to switch via Xbox vs the new DTV guide.

Thanks!
post #3762 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 482
i would think its an hdcp issue
if it works without the xbos, then the xbox isnt talking to the c61k correctly

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #3763 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

yeah, DTV recommended direct connection mini-to-TV
post #3764 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
I too have a Sony. Actually 2. The 930e and 800d. It's an odd coincidence still I have doubts this has anything to do with Sony. This problem occurred before the DV upgrade and it never occurs when I'm streaming from the apps or my Apple 4k TV. Specifically I have two issues, the screen going black way too frequently for a moment or two and the picture freezing for a couple of seconds. On one Sony the signal goes through a Denon receiver and the other it goes straight to the TV. I have the HS17 connected with 2 4k minis. Anyway I finally had enough of this. 2 service visits including one where everything was switched out (including a 15 year old dish) and the problems persist.They are sending me 2 regular minis and things will be back as they were before. I had to argue with them to drop the 2 year commitment when I went to the 4k equipment. The CSR wasn't making a reasonable argument to continue the contract but eventually got it reversed. She said one thing everyone should take note.... she doesn't recommend the 4k system to anyone. This just isn't worth it for 2 channels and occasional sports events.

I also have the 930e and a C61 mini & HS54. I experience the same screen going black issue. Based on feedback in the 930e thread, the blackout issue does indeed seem related to the Sony DV update. The only fix I'm aware of is to turn off HDR while watching DTV content.

post #3765 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario315 View Post
Just received large World Cup 2018 color brochure in the mail from DTV announcing that "for the first time ever, watch the games in stunning 4K HDR.... on Channels 105 and 106... Available games may vary based on programming package subscription..." (Games will be broadcast by FOX and Fox Sports 1)
Woo hoo !!!
This is the news that I have been waiting for and is the main reason I have been 4K TV shopping!!!
The HR54 will record 4K/HDR, right?!?
Most of the games will be played while I'm at work so I need to be able to record the games (in 4K/HDR!) for watching at night.
post #3766 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radckh View Post
This is the news that I have been waiting for and is the main reason I have been 4K TV shopping!!!
Most of the games will be played while I'm at work so I need to be able to record the games (in 4K/HDR!) for watching at night.
right!
radckh likes this.
post #3767 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by radckh View Post
You will need the 4K client to be able to watch in 4K. The HR54 will record in 4K but it won't play it back/output it to a 4K TV in 4K. Its gotta be sent to a 4K client connected to a 4K TV.....

Another thing to check. I am a Yankees fan. DTV had 2 Yanks vs Red Sox games on channel 106. But when I went to replay the game at a later time it wasn't there. Its like the DTV MLB package I guess. You can record it and watch. But if the games over and you haven't watched it yet you can't view it. Its just gone.....

In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King......

Anthem AVM60. Oppo 205. Krell KAV 1500. Krell Resolution 1. Krell Resolution C. Paradigm Studio 60V5. Paradigm Prestige 15B. SVS PB16 Ultra. Sony XBR-65Z9D....
post #3768 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Ever since my post a few weeks ago with the new HR54 and 4K client I installed the blinking/blanking problem has been gone. The very first day I had problems on ESPN. But since then (knock on wood) the blinking problem for me I gone... My SONY 65Z9D has the latest updates..... Who really knows whats up. But I think my problem was DTV related.....

Anthem AVM60. Oppo 205. Krell KAV 1500. Krell Resolution 1. Krell Resolution C. Paradigm Studio 60V5. Paradigm Prestige 15B. SVS PB16 Ultra. Sony XBR-65Z9D....
post #3769 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX2112 View Post
Ever since my post a few weeks ago with the new HR54 and 4K client I installed the blinking/blanking problem has been gone. The very first day I had problems on ESPN. But since then (knock on wood) the blinking problem for me I gone... My SONY 65Z9D has the latest updates..... Who really knows whats up. But I think my problem was DTV related.....
Oddly enough, on Saturday I had a DTV tech come over and there was no black flashing or freezing. I did however have a handshake problem where my DTV receiver told me I didn't have a 4k TV and the resolution was locked at 720p. The DTV tech didn't know how to fix it. He suggested component cables. I hit the magic red button on the side of my mini and all was well again. Anyway I see it's not just Sony but LG and other TVs with the issue (see link below). I am glad you don't have this bugaboo anymore....if I and others were to be so lucky.

https://www.dbstalk.com/community/in...opouts.226369/
post #3770 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Oddly enough, on Saturday I had a DTV tech come over and there was no black flashing or freezing. I did however have a handshake problem where my DTV receiver told me I didn't have a 4k TV and the resolution was locked at 720p. The DTV tech didn't know how to fix it. He suggested component cables. I hit the magic red button on the side of my mini and all was well again. Anyway I see it's not just Sony but LG and other TVs with the issue (see link below). I am glad you don't have this bugaboo anymore....if I and others were to be so lucky.

https://www.dbstalk.com/community/in...opouts.226369/

Thanx much for the link....

Ya that's one reason I like to do the install myself. That did happen to me a few times in the 1st days of having my new HR54 and 4K mini. I would go in settings and check that 4K box thinking that would fix it. Also did the reset on both the HR54 & mini. It still kept happening. Saying my TV isn't 4K. Or use component cables. As soon as I finally got someone to get the old HR22 off my account and off line on their end those problems went away. When I activated the HR54 & 4K client I told them I'm no longer using the old HR22. It was still on my account almost a week later when I would check on line. I had called several times for them to take it off my account. Finally got someone on DTVs end with a clue. They told me the problem was likely happening because they had the HR22 still active on their end even though I had it disconnected. I forget the exact words they used as to why. They also did a reset...

post #3771 of 6351 Old 05-21-2018, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
I also have the 930e and a C61 mini & HS54. I experience the same screen going black issue. Based on feedback in the 930e thread, the blackout issue does indeed seem related to the Sony DV update. The only fix I'm aware of is to turn off HDR while watching DTV content.
There may be something to this. Ever since I've turned HDR off I haven't had a problem. And I've had very little with it on. Need to do more testing. Very frustrating problem. It is so odd because HDR on auto shouldn't even be in play on normal network broadcasts.

post #3772 of 6351 Old 05-22-2018, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinsdan View Post
I tried digging through the thread but didn't see anything.

Is anyone able to run DTV 4K through their Xbox One X? When connected DirecTV does not detect 4K and does 1080P on the TV. The TV is 4K, and from the Xbox side it is all green for every 4K mode. I can also use apps on the Xbox/Samsung in 4K.

Is this a pass-through issue, or can I not pipe 4K through the X via the DTV receiver? I'd really like the oneguide and ability to switch via Xbox vs the new DTV guide.

Thanks!
I have the same issue trying to route through my Xbox One X. It works fine routing through my Denon AVR however. Very strange.
post #3773 of 6351 Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evader45 View Post
I have the same issue trying to route through my Xbox One X. It works fine routing through my Denon AVR however. Very strange.
Same here. It looks like the video in is 1.4a which supports 4k but not UHD. Maybe they do a sw update but I'm not sure if DTV will play nice.

I'm tempted to try a HDCP Converter (2.2 to 1.4). This may pass the signal and allow DTV to present 4K. Amazon has the Blackbird for $43, I may give it a try considering their great return policy.

For now since there isn't a lot of content I have it routed through the X and if I order content just swap to Denon for 4K.
post #3774 of 6351 Old 05-22-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The HDMI-In port on the Xbox One X is HDMI 1.4, and only supports up to 1080p60 content, it will not pass through 4K content (but it will upscale to 4K if that is what you have the output set to).
post #3775 of 6351 Old 05-22-2018, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
World Cup in UHD HDR is a good get though with the US team not playing, ratings may not be as high as they might have been.

Makes me wish I had D*.

Get regular NBA and NFL games in UHD HDR and adoption will accelerate, though there's no economic incentive for those leagues or the networks and tv stations to upgrade their production infrastructure.
Terminader likes this.
post #3776 of 6351 Old 05-22-2018, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 154
During the NBA regular season, Directv had NBA games in 4K and HDR. About 1 or 2 NBA games a week. No NFL games yet but there were college football games in 4k HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
World Cup in UHD HDR is a good get though with the US team not playing, ratings may not be as high as they might have been.

Makes me wish I had D*.

Get regular NBA and NFL games in UHD HDR and adoption will accelerate, though there's no economic incentive for those leagues or the networks and tv stations to upgrade their production infrastructure.
post #3777 of 6351 Old 05-22-2018, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn23 View Post
During the NBA regular season, Directv had NBA games in 4K and HDR. About 1 or 2 NBA games a week. No NFL games yet but there were college football games in 4k HDR.
ESPN is the key-most attractive audience to advertisers and most picture quality conscious group because we have had crap before. Even now, some of NBA/MLB regional networks don’t have adequate bandwidth on satellite and cable.

If they started the flagship station in 4K, others would probably follow. However, it’s an expensive proposition and Disney has a cost cutting extravaganza going on there now. So it could be a while.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #3778 of 6351 Old 05-23-2018, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 2248
Quote:
No, you're not.

Is there any way to turn off the big giant panel that appears every time you land on a show folder or individual show listing? I really, really detest that. If I want more info, I'll hit the info button. When I'm in a list, I want a list.

Further, they broke the "find other showings" selection. Now, when you click on it in the properties of a TV episode, it comes up with nothing where it used to bring up all the upcoming episodes. They also disable the "Red/Green" buttons to advance or move back 12 hours in the guide. It's now the FF and RR buttons, which are not as easy to use as the colored buttons, which are right next to each other and easy to find on the remote. Since Red/Green had no uses in the guide, it makes no sense they had to tinker with what worked.

Finally, I hate you can't easily get to the upcoming recordings list anymore.
rjhseven likes this.
post #3779 of 6351 Old 05-23-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Finally, I hate you can't easily get to the upcoming recordings list anymore.
I am not a fan of the new interface, but it's actually easier to get to the scheduled recordings list now that I know how to navigate to it. Press "list," then "right arrow" once to take you to the options. "Channel down" once to get to the bottom, and left arrow to bring you to the options you used to have. Then hit "enter" to give you the list.

It's actually a couple fewer clicks, and it is quicker than before because you don't have to wait for the first two options to populate after hitting menu and the down button two times.

SMK
Terminader likes this.
post #3780 of 6351 Old 05-23-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 160
So happy to see 4k world cup coverage confirmed. I wonder how many of the games will be shown?

Was hoping for the champions league final in 4k as well, but I would imagine they would have announced something by now.

Sony 55X900e
Vizio P50-C1 - My Calibration Settings
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page