post #4771 of 5544 Old 02-07-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
Believe is the HR54 Genie and corresponding genie minis. Minis are all wired versions. 5 tv's. 1 4k tv in master bedroom and a 4k projector in living room.

4 minins and an hr54?

thats a horrible setup, it cripples the hr54

if you dont want both 4ks at the same time, just replace 1 mini with a c61k.
replace the other minis on the non 4k tvs with h25's or hr24's

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 5544 Old 02-07-2019, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
Quote:
Believe is the HR54 Genie and corresponding genie minis. Minis are all wired versions. 5 tv's. 1 4k tv in master bedroom and a 4k projector in living room.

4 minins and an hr54?

thats a horrible setup, it cripples the hr54

if you dont want both 4ks at the same time, just replace 1 mini with a c61k.
replace the other minis on the non 4k tvs with h25's or hr24's
Why would 4 minis cripple the HR54? That is what directv gave me about 2 years ago. Usually only 2 tv's are running simultaneously, occasionally 3.

If doing the 4k id probably want 4k on the master br tv and for the living room (living room has the HR54 and I go back n forth between 1080p plasma and the 4k projector there.)
post #4773 of 5544 Old 02-07-2019, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Why would 4 minis cripple the HR54? That is what directv gave me about 2 years ago. Usually only 2 tv's are running simultaneously, occasionally 3.

If doing the 4k id probably want 4k on the master br tv and for the living room (living room has the HR54 and I go back n forth between 1080p plasma and the 4k projector there.)

the hr54 has 5 tuners
each ,imi uses 1 tuner
a max of 3 minis in use at a time (so you cant use all 4 at once)
this leaves 2 tuners for recording, 1 if the hr54 is n use

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4774 of 5544 Old 02-07-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
Quote:

the hr54 has 5 tuners
each ,imi uses 1 tuner
a max of 3 minis in use at a time (so you cant use all 4 at once)
this leaves 2 tuners for recording, 1 if the hr54 is n use
Wow, never knew that. Dtv omitted telling me that during install. Good thing have light multi tv use needs currently but something to think about getting corrected.
post #4775 of 5544 Old 02-08-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Check out channel 106. Showing Pebble Beach golf tournament in 4K. Looks fantastic. HDR is off the charts. Feel like I am at the tournament watching through a window. Can’t wait to watch my Yankees in 4K.
longhorn23 likes this.
post #4776 of 5544 Old 02-10-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Well after 24 year with Directv (the last 2 with ATT), I’m changing to Comcast.

Numerous billing issues that they would not fix despite our MANY HOURS of phone calls, chats and at the end, I wrote a scathing review on Twitter. ATTCares took over and I gave him the info and what I was willing to do on January 26. After several DMs through Twitters messaging service, phone calls and chats (again), amazingly enough, I never got an answer or even a proposal/counter offer.

So I paid what I knew was correct for last two bills letting a few hundred dollars go just to expedite things. I then sent a DM and told them if Comcast service is satisfactory, my last day of service would be on the 24th since they DO NOT PRORATE YOUR BILL ANYMORE. Haven’t heard back from them. Expect a fight on the balance (bogus) and trying to hold me to my contract which is probably 7-8 months. I will fight them until they give up. They can try to ruin my credit. I’m going to get a note in my credit report immediately when they do their thing and hopefully it will not hurt my excellent FICO score too bad.

Its disgusting to have to go through this with a company I have been loyal to for 24 years and that has been ruined by ATT. Be glad to be done. Dread learning a whole new system.
Sorry you have to deal with this. 15 years for me now, they got me by the nads, cause no cable where I reside. It’s either ATT or Dish.
post #4777 of 5544 Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Painful Merger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black05Hemi View Post
Sorry you have to deal with this. 15 years for me now, they got me by the nads, cause no cable where I reside. It’s either ATT or Dish.
I feel your PAIN. I will also see the EXIT door for me after 21 years. I am thinking about trying the Streaming thing with LIVE TV. I sat down with the family and made a list of channels everyone would want to have...DirectNow has all the channels we watch. I am not sure i want to go down the same path with a same company again.... Youtube and Hulu are very close second. I might just have to purchase directly form the channels my wife wants (Hallmark) so I don't have to pay AT$T any more.
Glenee likes this.

Home Enjoyment System:
Samsung 65NU8000-Display
Denon AVR-X2400H- Audio Receiver / Dayton Audio Floor Speakers and AIR Surrounds
Sony UBP-X700 UHD Blu-ray player
Direct TV HR-44
post #4778 of 5544 Old 02-11-2019, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerswon View Post
I feel your PAIN. I will also see the EXIT door for me after 21 years. I am thinking about trying the Streaming thing with LIVE TV. I sat down with the family and made a list of channels everyone would want to have...DirectNow has all the channels we watch. I am not sure i want to go down the same path with a same company again.... Youtube and Hulu are very close second. I might just have to purchase directly form the channels my wife wants (Hallmark) so I don't have to pay AT$T any more.

Same frustration, with DTV since 1996 and I have NO loyalty credits? Stuck until 2020 for getting a second C61k and another price increase. Having a hard time accepting DVD quailty or whatever Comcast is, and streaming (to me) is a nightmare of compatibility issues expecially with 4k HDR projector (have ATV and Roku). Any Comcast switchers comparing 1080i and 720p DTV quality? (No 4k on Comcast). I do have FO wiring to house, but Comcast converts that coming into the house. Willing to give up NFL ourtageously priced package, which is what kept me chained.

Theater: Lyngdorf MP-50 7.3.4, Sony VW675ES, Revel Ultima Salon2/Voice2/Gem2(4)/Paradigm Be Atmos (4), Mark Levinson amps (53 L/R, 532 Center biamped, 531H side/surrounds), Atmos amp: Sherbourn, Oppo 203, Roku Ultra Premier+, DTV 4k, Velodyne 1812 Signature (LFE), Velodyne DD-15.
FR: Marantz 8802A (and/or 7703), Sony XBR 4k TV, Meridian A350 LCR onwall, Dali in-wall surrounds, Atmos Martin Logan in-ceiling, REL sub, Oppo 105 (and/or 103), DTV, AppleTV, Sony 4k Media Server.
post #4779 of 5544 Old 02-11-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I am getting really tired of what I call the AT&T GOD syndrome . Everytime you talk to them anymore, it's like your talking to a *****y landlord and I'm a 15 year plus customer. I contacted Cox in our area their DVR fee's are just outrages. They are close to $30.00 a month for each DVR. I need 3, that's about $90.00 a month equipment fees. If I could find a good streaming service that had independent DVR capabilities, and the channels we need, I think all the providers would come off their High Horses.
Some of the other forum members just alternate between Dish and Directv every 2-Years to get them to do what they should be doing in the first place with their loyal customers. I am thinking I would only have to do that a time or two, and then what I mentioned above would be available thru streaming services. That would also give time for the 5g wireless to be widely available.

If anyone figures out a solution keep us posted.
rjhseven likes this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee

Last edited by DrDon; 02-11-2019 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Profanity
post #4780 of 5544 Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I am getting really tired of what I call the AT&T GOD syndrome . Everytime you talk to them anymore, it's like your talking to a *****y landlord and I'm a 15 year plus customer. I contacted Cox in our area their DVR fee's are just outrages. They are close to $30.00 a month for each DVR. I need 3, that's about $90.00 a month equipment fees. If I could find a good streaming service that had independent DVR capabilities, and the channels we need, I think all the providers would come off their High Horses.
Some of the other forum members just alternate between Dish and Directv every 2-Years to get them to do what they should be doing in the first place with their loyal customers. I am thinking I would only have to do that a time or two, and then what I mentioned above would be available thru streaming services. That would also give time for the 5g wireless to be widely available.

$30 a month for each DVR is ridiculous. The hidden fees is whats killing cable and satellite. D* charges $25 a month for DVR and WH service.

But don’t they offer the Contour DVR as a server with clients, kind of like what D* is doing with the Genie?

Last edited by TheRatPatrol; 02-11-2019 at 08:27 AM.
post #4781 of 5544 Old 02-11-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I will have to ask about this contour DVR. I asked about 3-DVRs and was told like $28.00 each a month, and I said Thank You. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper.

post #4782 of 5544 Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I just got a failed c61 replacement last week. There wasn't an additional 2 year commitment hidden in there was there?

Jack
post #4783 of 5544 Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I just got a failed c61 replacement last week. There wasn't an additional 2 year commitment hidden in there was there?
Sometimes there is, and sometimes there's not. You can call them and ask for a end of contract date, and then you will know for sure.

post #4784 of 5544 Old 02-11-2019, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I guess we are lucky. Our TV access fee/DVR fees are $7.00 each. $28 0r $30 is outrageous.

Samsung UN65MU8000, C61K
DTV HR 54 with 6 TB External HD, HR 24 in spare rooms
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player, Roku Ultra
Denon AVR X1200W, Klipsch R-28F, R-25C, R-10SW, R-12SW, R-15M, RP-140SA
Samsung UN55HU6950 + SEK-3500U, DTV HR 24, Samsung Soundbar - HW430 - Master Bedroom
post #4785 of 5544 Old 02-11-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 2118
Quote:
Unlikely. If you have the protection service then I doubt it. Plus, they will inform you of any contract agreement/extension before they give the replacement.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4786 of 5544 Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Quit paying for TV and go OTA. Buy a DVR. Maybe one streaming service. You won't miss all that crap on cable anyway, and you can always buy a season pass or two on VUDU if there is some series you really want to keep up with.
post #4787 of 5544 Old 02-12-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Unlikely. If you have the protection service then I doubt it. Plus, they will inform you of any contract agreement/extension before they give the replacement.
I got an email from DTV this morning after I had a long conversation with the loyalty rep. In the end he said he would like to give me a discount but couldn't and keep checking. He had my contract going through January of 2020.

This morning I got an email from DTV that said "Thank you for the recent inquiry regarding the agreement currently on your DIRECTV account. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

We reviewed your account and waived any existing DIRECTV agreement. If equipment, installation and/or programming are ordered in the future, a new agreement may apply. We significantly discount the price of equipment, installations and/or programming and pass the savings on to you. In exchange, we ask you to keep your programming for a specified amount of time.

Our goal is to provide a premium effortless entertainment experience delivered anywhere. For further assistance, customer service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We can be reached online at directv.com/contact or by phone at 1-800-531-5000. This information is also available on your bill."

I read that as I can quit today if I want to. So I guess I am free to go if I want to. Not sure what I will do. Tried streaming for a week and it was pretty good. Picture quality was better but Guide and DVR was a little clumsy. One nice feature was the ease of watching movies that were currently or recently playing on DTV on TNT, FX, etc. All in one place and not available on Netflix or Prime. Or BR rental with the trouble that entails.

Jack
post #4788 of 5544 Old 02-12-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got an email from DTV this morning after I had a long conversation with the loyalty rep. In the end he said he would like to give me a discount but couldn't and keep checking. He had my contract going through January of 2020.

This morning I got an email from DTV that said "Thank you for the recent inquiry regarding the agreement currently on your DIRECTV account. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

We reviewed your account and waived any existing DIRECTV agreement. If equipment, installation and/or programming are ordered in the future, a new agreement may apply. We significantly discount the price of equipment, installations and/or programming and pass the savings on to you. In exchange, we ask you to keep your programming for a specified amount of time.

Our goal is to provide a premium effortless entertainment experience delivered anywhere. For further assistance, customer service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We can be reached online at directv.com/contact or by phone at 1-800-531-5000. This information is also available on your bill."

I read that as I can quit today if I want to. So I guess I am free to go if I want to. Not sure what I will do. Tried streaming for a week and it was pretty good. Picture quality was better but Guide and DVR was a little clumsy. One nice feature was the ease of watching movies that were currently or recently playing on DTV on TNT, FX, etc. All in one place and not available on Netflix or Prime. Or BR rental with the trouble that entails.
Yes, you are now out of contract and in the pole position. You are now able to call the retention/loyalty department and say you are considering cancelling to go to another service. At that point they will make a few discount offers. If they are unsatisfactory to you, simply cancel service and after cancellation call the "winback" number and get the new customer deal. The new customer deal is usually very, very sweet and will include the next NFL season for free and typically a prepaid Visa card valued at no less than $100.

Congrats, you are now in control. Take advantage.
Terminader likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4789 of 5544 Old 02-12-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, you are now out of contract and in the pole position. You are now able to call the retention/loyalty department and say you are considering cancelling to go to another service. At that point they will make a few discount offers. If they are unsatisfactory to you, simply cancel service and after cancellation call the "winback" number and get the new customer deal. The new customer deal is usually very, very sweet and will include the next NFL season for free and typically a prepaid Visa card valued at no less than $100.

Alright!

Jack
post #4790 of 5544 Old 02-12-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Except for locals, all 1080i is down converted to 720p on Comcast. It looks more like SD.

For high DVR cable charges on Cox, buy some used TiVos with lifetime subscription off EBay.
Cable cards "should" be cheaper. It is the law, but...

For current disgruntled DTV subscribers, file a complaint with the BBB.
I have had numerous problems with Comcast and a few with AT&T, and the BBB is the only thing I have found that works.

Hope this helps.
CCsoftball7 likes this.
post #4791 of 5544 Old 02-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Update on Switch to Comcast; I switched from Directv mainly due to to billing issues. Had a very mediocre Comcast installer out yesterday for my Comcast internet and 3 Xfininity HD DVRs. PQ is only a slight notch below Directv-average person may not notice it. Have ATT gigabit internet-using that and my main Directv receiver for recordings I have on it; speed test on Comcast was good.

However, turned on my living room TV/receiver today (eveidently receivers never go off) and got error message. Went to guest BR. Same thing there. Each error screen said to turn off power for 10 seconds and I had done that at both with no help. For some reason, installer put main X1 in theater room upstairs which if hard for me to traverse often. Reset that one and it did the trick.

Also goy my first bill by email today (they waste no time-wish customer service was as fast) and it had an error on it making the bill $13 too high. Needless to say, not a good start. I triple checked the 30 days ALL MONEY BACK GUARANTEE from Comcast. I may be exercising it.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #4792 of 5544 Old 02-13-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Update on Switch to Comcast
How much does Comcast charge per DVR?
post #4793 of 5544 Old 02-14-2019, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Update on Switch to Comcast; I switched from Directv mainly due to to billing issues. Had a very mediocre Comcast installer out yesterday for my Comcast internet and 3 Xfininity HD DVRs. PQ is only a slight notch below Directv-average person may not notice it. Have ATT gigabit internet-using that and my main Directv receiver for recordings I have on it; speed test on Comcast was good.

However, turned on my living room TV/receiver today (eveidently receivers never go off) and got error message. Went to guest BR. Same thing there. Each error screen said to turn off power for 10 seconds and I had done that at both with no help. For some reason, installer put main X1 in theater room upstairs which if hard for me to traverse often. Reset that one and it did the trick.

Also goy my first bill by email today (they waste no time-wish customer service was as fast) and it had an error on it making the bill $13 too high. Needless to say, not a good start. I triple checked the 30 days ALL MONEY BACK GUARANTEE from Comcast. I may be exercising it.
This is the DirecTV thread. Maybe share your Comcast experience in the Comcast thread?
P Smith, Terminader and longhorn23 like this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4794 of 5544 Old 02-14-2019, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

There a reason it's called comcrap lol

In my opinion all "cable cos " are trash

D* or telco (att fios etc) are the only TV providers I would ever choose

Hopefully D* will give u a deal to come back

U have att gigabit I'm assuming thays fiber ! Never chose cable internet over fiber internet

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT
Bell Atlantic or its Subsidiaries
post #4795 of 5544 Old 02-14-2019, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked: 4340
Quote:
For some reason, installer put main X1 in theater room upstairs which if hard for me to traverse often.
If it gets to be a frequent thing, get a smart plug. You can use Alexa or Google or your phone to reboot it from anywhere. Couple that with a UPS to prevent the plug from shutting off during a power glitch and to keep the X1 from rebooting during temporary power losses. I have a UPS on each of my DirecTV receivers. Here in Florida, we get a lot of power glitches every storm season.
Terminader likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4796 of 5544 Old 02-14-2019, 02:30 PM

Just saw on the guide notifications that the app is changing next month and features like accessibility to dvr recordings away from home is going away. They keep charging more for less. Smh.
post #4797 of 5544 Old 02-14-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Yes, you are now out of contract and in the pole position. .....
Maybe not. Recent messages on slickdeals say you need to set a cancel date to get deals. Others say you have to actually end service to get "winback" offers. YMMV. Best advice is call often, as there is great variability in answers .
post #4798 of 5544 Old 02-14-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Maybe not. Recent messages on slickdeals say you need to set a cancel date to get deals. Others say you have to actually end service to get "winback" offers. YMMV. Best advice is call often, as there is great variability in answers .
That's what I said in my post. I said if no luck with offers to cancel and call the winback number.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4799 of 5544 Old 02-14-2019, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Just saw on the guide notifications that the app is changing next month and features like accessibility to dvr recordings away from home is going away. They keep charging more for less. Smh.

Interesting, haven't seen that.
post #4800 of 5544 Old 02-14-2019, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerswon View Post

Go with YouTube TV and add Philo for $16 more a month. It’s a great combo and really gets you all the channels. YTTV is great (great DVR, 6 family accounts with separate DVRs, excellent UI on all platforms - not FireTV- and just excellent overall). Philo gets you the rest of the channels likely. YMMV of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page