Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 5703 Old 02-21-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7194 Post(s)
Liked: 16345
No idea. I asked him about changing the lnb, he did some signal strength tests and that was that.

Edit: Changing channels isn't as seamless as it was pre 4K tuner. Is this normal?

Last edited by Waboman; 02-21-2019 at 09:19 AM.
post #4833 of 5703 Old 02-21-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Installer/tech just left. It was a simple swap of one client for a 4K client. Took less than 5 minutes.
What are you using as the server? I guess I missed what you had prior to calling about getting 4K.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 5703 Old 02-21-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7194 Post(s)
Liked: 16345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
What are you using as the server? I guess I missed what you had prior to calling about getting 4K.
The HR54

post #4835 of 5703 Old 02-21-2019, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Try Genie 2 reboot by pressing red button on side/back. Take 5-10 minutes to come back and refresh everything.

Sent from my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk

Yep, done that multiple times and unplugging power reboot and refresh from the website. Still having same issues.
post #4836 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
i wish they would fix this annoying "INFO" bug when you first turn on the dvr it defaults to the INFO tab being displayed...

For that very reason I made changes to my Harmony remote to leave the client on.
markrubin, JoeTiVo, rlb and 1 others like this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #4837 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have recently run into a problem I can’t solve and I was hoping for some advice. I have a lg ef9500 Oled tv into a Denon s710w then a directv c51-100. I have the Directv remote turn on the client and tv, then the tv turns on the Denon through hdmi control. This has worked perfect until I connected an appletv 4k to the Denon. Now when I hit power on the rc73 dIRECTV remote after the Denon turns on, then the Apple TV turns on, and highjacks the input away from the cable tv input.

But the real problem is now the client for whatever reason is only displaying 480p, and when I try to change resolutions I get the message next to each higher resolution that TV does not support any other resolutions.

So now ever since the Apple TV was added into the chain the client only wants to connect it for 480p and I don’t know why. Does anyone have any insight? Sorry for the long post just wanted to include all information.

Is my only solution a harmony remote? Thanks

LG 65EF9500 / Def Tech 8060st / Def Tech 8040cs / SVS PC-2000 / Denon S710W / ATV4K / Sony UBP-X800
post #4838 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 508
try to keep the C51 ON all the time
post #4839 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
try to keep the C51 ON all the time

Thanks, I’ll give it a try

LG 65EF9500 / Def Tech 8060st / Def Tech 8040cs / SVS PC-2000 / Denon S710W / ATV4K / Sony UBP-X800
post #4840 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a story for you. It involves trying to talk to AT&T about DirectTV, and also how I almost shot myself in the foot trying to get 4k onto a newly-purchased TV.
First, my former setup. I had a Sony KDL model HDTV in the den connected to my HR54. I had the component adapter for sending signal to the TV when we just wanted to watch regular TV, and the HDMI connected to the AVR, for when we might want better sound. The TV has the RVU capability not being used. I have a Samsung 4k TV with RVU in a guest room, and using the network connection, it seems to handle the stream from the HR54 and 4k pretty well. (I get the occasional "location not authorized"; but, powering off and back on eventually gets the signal.) I have no Genie mini.

So, we replaced the Sony in the den with a new XBR 4k model. (It also has RVU capability, not currently being used.) I went ahead and connected it the same way as the previous non-4k model.
I decided we might like to see DirecTV 4k on this TV. I considered moving the HR54 to another room where the old HDTV now resides, and activating the RVU on the 4k model in the Den. I, of course, discovered I was not paying for a second connection, but got it working fine by deleting the guest remote location. I switched everything back and decided to give good ole AT&T/DirecTV customer service a call.

I wanted them to add a second connection to my account, which would be another RVU. (Still, no mini or other box required.) I expected them to be able to add another location, and it would cost me another $7 per month. Well, you would have thought I was asking for brain surgery over the phone. I was happy I had someone I could understand; but, she decided she wanted to argue with me about needing the TV model number, the serial number, and requiring a technician to come top the house. I finally got her to give me her supervisor, who seemed to want to help. It turned out, she really needed a MAC address for the new TV, so they did not override the current RVU MAC address they saw in their system. I gave it to her, and we closed the call, and a few minutes later, I was able to configure the RVU on the new 4k TV, and received channel 104 beautifully. Now, the new problem arose. When I went into the guest room to tune the Samsung 4k TV to channel 104, I received a message that only one 4k stream was available at a time. So, I could go back to the den, switch to a regular HD channel, and then go back to the guest room and get a 4k channel, and vice-versa. So, I called back in to technical support, and got a lovely young lady, who really seemed to know her stuff. Once I explained what I was trying to do was receive 4k on two different 4k TV's with RVU at the same time, she gave me the bad news. It could not be done. (I asked why, supposedly, multiple minis could do this.) She basically told me I needed to replace my HR54 with the new HS17 "box". And, somehow, it would be another $21 dollars per month, because I would have to get a "Genie II" into the equation. So I said, hey, if I am entitled to a newer, (supposedly better and more advanced), box, maybe I could connect the box physically HDMI for 4k in the den, and run the RVU for the old HDTV and the other 4k. She said that would work, and I would only be paying another $7 per month for the third TV. So, as she starts to process an order to replace my HR54, (easy FedEx swap, supposedly), she tells me this will put me back into a 2-year agreement, with penalties for cancellation, etc. Well, I said OK, because I figured I could simply swap out the boxes myself, since my installation involves a lot of hidden wires and cabinetry. She even said she would give me tracking for the new box, and a label to return the old one. As she tried to conclude the order, the system then told her she had to schedule a technician. Frustrated, I told her to forget about it, and thanked her for her time and effort.
A few minutes later, I went online and looked at what the HS17 was, because I wondered about the physical connection to it, which would supposedly give me 4k. Wow, no TV connection, and it looks like some type of Echo tower device. So, I thanked my lucky stars I cancelled the order. I decided to leave everything as it is for now.
About an hour later, I received an e-mail, telling about my new order, which was in process. Man, was I aggravated. So, I called them immediately, and this time got someone who I did not understand, (and, I am not sure he understood me); but, he managed to kill the order after about 20 minutes on the phone.
Today, I still wonder what would be my best approach to receiving DirecTV 4k on both of my 4k TV's at the same time. I have had overnight to think about it, and decided, right now, there just is not enough programming available to go through the frustration. (Thank goodness I have my UHD discs and streaming to keep me happy for now.)
I do have a question here, though. Can anyone tell me what this new HS17 setup would be like? I think I read I might even have to have my dish replaced, or something.
Anyhow, thanks for indulging me by letting me tell my story.
post #4841 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks5333 View Post
I still wonder what would be my best approach to receiving DirecTV 4k on both of my 4k TV's at the same time.
Please understand the HR54 and HS17 difference (if you didn't read the thread - mdram posted it ad nauseum here !)" only UHD client C61K can give you UHD [via HDMI], excluding RVU !; HR54 - 1 UHD stream to a client, HS- 2 UHD streams!!!
post #4842 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4894 View Post
I have recently run into a problem I can’t solve and I was hoping for some advice. I have a lg ef9500 Oled tv into a Denon s710w then a directv c51-100. I have the Directv remote turn on the client and tv, then the tv turns on the Denon through hdmi control. This has worked perfect until I connected an appletv 4k to the Denon. Now when I hit power on the rc73 dIRECTV remote after the Denon turns on, then the Apple TV turns on, and highjacks the input away from the cable tv input.

But the real problem is now the client for whatever reason is only displaying 480p, and when I try to change resolutions I get the message next to each higher resolution that TV does not support any other resolutions.

So now ever since the Apple TV was added into the chain the client only wants to connect it for 480p and I don’t know why. Does anyone have any insight? Sorry for the long post just wanted to include all information.

There is a one button fix for the 480P problem but I don't remember what it is. It was discussed earlier in this thread I think. You hold down one button and it takes it out of 480P mode. If you can't find the answer in the thread use the right words on Google and the answer will pop up. Perhaps someone reading this can remember.

Jack
post #4843 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
There is a one button fix for the 480P problem but I don't remember what it is. It was discussed earlier in this thread I think. You hold down one button and it takes it out of 480P mode. If you can't find the answer in the thread use the right words on Google and the answer will pop up. Perhaps someone reading this can remember.

Thanks a ton!

post #4844 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks5333 View Post
Today, I still wonder what would be my best approach to receiving DirecTV 4k on both of my 4k TV's at the same time.

you could use a 4K splitter to feed the D* same channel to multiple TV's: I have 4x4 matrix that allows me to feed D* 4k to 4 displays

I am happy with my present setup HR54, a a C61k, and some HR24's with caller ID: there is not enough 4K material to worry about more than one 4k stream that would move me to the HS17
jmacari likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #4845 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
HR24's with caller ID:

carefull with that, if it ever gets disabled, it might never be able to be re-enabled again.

direct is ditching caller id, nothing after the hr44 even has a phone jack

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #4846 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
I do have a question here, though. Can anyone tell me what this new HS17 setup would be like? I think I read I might even have to have my dish replaced, or something.
The HR54 can not output two 4K channels at once, it can only do one. If you want two 4K channels at once you would need to upgrade to the HS17. The HS17 is a server with no HDMI output, it basically “serves” or sends out the signal to the clients. You would need to get a C61K client for each TV. I’m not sure if RVU works with the HS17, hopefully someone else can chime in with that. There are rumors that RVU will no long be supported in the future.

If you did upgrade you would not be able to keep the HR54, as you can not have two Genies on one account, so you would lose all of the recordings on it. You won’t need a new dish, but you will need a new LNB to receive future 4K programming, if/when more 4K channels comes available

Like was mentioned above there isn’t enough 4K content at this time to watch on both TV’s at the same time.

Here’s more info on the HS17 https://blog.solidsignal.com/docs/Hands%20On%20HS17.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Press and hold the EXIT button.
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by TheRatPatrol; 02-22-2019 at 06:50 PM.
post #4847 of 5703 Old 02-22-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post
The HR54 can not output two 4K channels at once, it can only do one. If you want two 4K channels at once you would need to upgrade to the HS17. The HS17 is a server with no HDMI output, it basically “serves” or sends out the signal to the clients. You would need to get a C61K client for each TV. I’m not sure if RVU works with the HS17, hopefully someone else can chime in with that.

If you did upgrade you would not be able to keep the HR54, as you can not have two Genies on one account, so you would lose all of the recordings on it. You won’t need a new dish, but you will need a new LNB to receive future 4K programming, if/when more 4K channels comes available

Like was mentioned above there isn’t enough 4K content at this time to watch on both TV’s at the same time.

Press and hold the EXIT button.
The Exit button. That's the one!

Jack
post #4848 of 5703 Old 02-25-2019, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 7
DirecTv HDMI Issues

Hello Folks,

So i am curious here, i have the directv HS17 server and the C61K clients. The clients seem to always have a handshake issue with the tv's. I havent been able to figure out why the box switches from 1080P/1080i video settings and even the 4K setting down to 480i/720p sometimes. I have it hooked to a marantz av8805 and always have this problem with these receivers. Its almost like there is always a handshake issue. I turn off the marantz and turn it back on then the items are no longer greyed out and i can set the genie to 1080p/1080i and 4k. I have even seen another tv do this in the home without even a receiver between the tv and genie. Any advice would be greatful, not sure if hdmi settings of some sort should be turned off to sort this out or what.
post #4849 of 5703 Old 02-25-2019, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You will get same advice as been done here last year: don't turn off your DTV clients, avoid passthrough HDMI via AVR, do test modes of (kind of) FastPoweringOn on your TV.

Last edited by P Smith; 02-26-2019 at 10:57 AM.
post #4850 of 5703 Old 02-27-2019, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
You will get same advice as been done here last year: don't turn off your DTV clients, avoid passthrough HDMI via AVR, do test modes of (kind of) FastPoweringOn on your TV.
So the clients always goto sleep but im sure i can change that but wow really we have to leave the C61K on to stop this nonsense? So when you say avoid passthrough HDMI via AVR and do test modes of FastPoweringOn what do you mean by this? Sorry but just need a bit more information to figure this out
post #4851 of 5703 Old 02-27-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1983 View Post
So the clients always goto sleep but im sure i can change that but wow really we have to leave the C61K on to stop this nonsense? So when you say avoid passthrough HDMI via AVR and do test modes of FastPoweringOn what do you mean by this? Sorry but just need a bit more information to figure this out

I was able to solve this exact issue with my Denon by going into video-hdmi settings and turning off hdmi control, turning on arc and hdmi pass through with pass source cable/sat. This fixed my downscaling. I wish you the best it’s very frustrating. If you stumble upon another solution share it please.
locomo likes this.

post #4852 of 5703 Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Directv II HD/4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4894 View Post

I have had similar weirdness with my ATV4K lately. Not exactly the same problem you were having, but one that was very similar. What I did was to go into the settings on the Apple TV, go to Remotes and Devices —>Home Theater Control —> Control TVs and Receivers. Set that to "Off". This still allows me to control my A/V volume, but it eliminated some of the CEC weirdness that I had.

My issue was not exactly the same one as you have. But it might be worth a shot to try this anyway. Good luck!
post #4853 of 5703 Old 02-28-2019, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Check out: https://start.att.net/exclusive/att/4k

I'm guessing this "March Madness" is just some Fox-based conference tourney games, but that date through the 30th is awfully "interesting"
longhorn23 likes this.
post #4854 of 5703 Old 02-28-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
Check out: https://start.att.net/exclusive/att/4k

I'm guessing this "March Madness" is just some Fox-based conference tourney games, but that date through the 30th is awfully "interesting"
Well since the NCAA have trademarked March Madness, which is specific to the actual NCAA tournament, I suspect AT&T/DirecTV have gotten permission from the NCAA, if not, they will be in some pretty serious trouble for using the March Madness moniker. I have a feeling they will air some of the first 2 rounds on their 4K channels.
longhorn23 likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4855 of 5703 Old 03-01-2019, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 500
If I'm not mistaken, it is a portion of a couple of conference tournaments. Big10 and I can't remember the other one.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #4856 of 5703 Old 03-01-2019, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked: 4418
AT&T is THE biggest sponsor for the tournament, so they absolutely have the rights to use the term "March Madness." And if they're saying "March Madness" games in 4k, that means at least one (and probably ONLY one) regional venue is geared for 4k, each week. So, it will be actual tournament games. Since CBS has the Final Four and the championship games, I doubt either one of those will be included. It's anybody's guess as to which regions(s) get the gear, but I'd look at any venue where an NBA game has been in 4k.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4857 of 5703 Old 03-01-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it is a portion of a couple of conference tournaments. Big10 and I can't remember the other one.
Match Madness means the actual tournament. Not conference tournaments.
longhorn23 likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4858 of 5703 Old 03-01-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
AT&T is THE biggest sponsor for the tournament, so they absolutely have the rights to use the term "March Madness." And if they're saying "March Madness" games in 4k, that means at least one (and probably ONLY one) regional venue is geared for 4k, each week. So, it will be actual tournament games.
Agreed.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4859 of 5703 Old 03-02-2019, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
AT&T is THE biggest sponsor for the tournament, so they absolutely have the rights to use the term "March Madness." And if they're saying "March Madness" games in 4k, that means at least one (and probably ONLY one) regional venue is geared for 4k, each week. So, it will be actual tournament games. Since CBS has the Final Four and the championship games, I doubt either one of those will be included. It's anybody's guess as to which regions(s) get the gear, but I'd look at any venue where an NBA game has been in 4k.
...and the schedule is now populated, and as expected, no NCAA games. What a craptastic, misleading graphic.
post #4860 of 5703 Old 03-02-2019, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked: 4418
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
...and the schedule is now populated, and as expected, no NCAA games. What a craptastic, misleading graphic.
Selection Sunday hasn't happened, yet, so there are no games to post. They may be waiting for that before assigning the 4k truck(s). Though I figure they already know where, but not which games they're going to simulcast. CBS might balk at simulcasting their games, so that leaves contests appearing on TNT, Tru and TBS, all soon-to-be AT&T properties. Don't know which network gets what, yet.

That said, it's not unheard of for programming on 106 to turn up with little notice beyond what's on the Guide.
dtv757, Terminader and longhorn23 like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page