post #4861 of 5686 Old 03-02-2019, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Selection Sunday hasn't happened, yet, so there are no games to post. They may be waiting for that before assigning the 4k truck(s). Though I figure they already know where, but not which games they're going to simulcast. CBS might balk at simulcasting their games, so that leaves contests appearing on TNT, Tru and TBS, all soon-to-be AT&T properties. Don't know which network gets what, yet.

That said, it's not unheard of for programming on 106 to turn up with little notice beyond what's on the Guide.
Agreed with your thought process, but which scenario is more likely?

1) This graphic took some liberty on "March Madness" and has usual 4k suspects only, for programming
2) The first 4k NCAA tourney games ever are being broadcast, and this page is the only thing saying anything about it (and not the NCAA, Turner, or anything else), and there have been no rumors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5686 Old 03-02-2019, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked: 4410
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
Agreed with your thought process, but which scenario is more likely?

1) This graphic took some liberty on "March Madness" and has usual 4k suspects only, for programming
2) The first 4k NCAA tourney games ever are being broadcast, and this page is the only thing saying anything about it (and not the NCAA, Turner, or anything else), and there have been no rumors.
I'd go with number two. It's happened plenty of times, before. Even going back to the HD rollout.

Unless something's changed from my days with CBS, the "March Madness" term can only be used when referring to the NCAA tournaments. We got the same memo year after year. Can only say "March Madness" when referring to the tournament and cannot use "March Madness" in any commercial form except by advertisers who have licensed it from the NCAA. We had plenty of local advertisers who tried to sneak mentions in. "Come to Dirk's bar for all the March Madness games!!" Uhm, nope.

The NCAA, Turner or "anything else" isn't going to publicize without some details. How would that read? "This will be the first year select matches will be available in 4k. But only on DirecTV and we don't actually know which games on which days at what times and probably won't know until the week before. But hey, 4k, huh? So, cool, amiright?"

And they might not want to publicize it just yet. They have some massive cable companies as clients, and running free promos that are de facto DirecTV commercials isn't going to sit well. Now, when they have more details, DirecTV might buy some ads to promote it. IIRC, the same has been true of Notre Dame games. Saw plenty of promos on NBC for those games and not one of them said anything about them being in 4k on DirecTV (except the ones PAID for by DirecTV). Admittedly, I skip a lot of ads, though..

Oh, and there have been rumors. Ever since the announcement of the AT&T/Time Warner merger, though those have been held very close to the vest.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.

Last edited by DrDon; 03-02-2019 at 08:03 AM.
post #4863 of 5686 Old 03-02-2019, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I'd go with number two. It's happened plenty of times, before. Even going back to the HD rollout.

Unless something's changed from my days with CBS, the "March Madness" term can only be used when referring to the NCAA tournaments. We got the same memo year after year. Can only say "March Madness" when referring to the tournament and cannot use "March Madness" in any commercial form except by advertisers who have licensed it from the NCAA. We had plenty of local advertisers who tried to sneak mentions in. "Come to Dirk's bar for all the March Madness games!!" Uhm, nope.

The NCAA, Turner or "anything else" isn't going to publicize without some details. How would that read? "This will be the first year select matches will be available in 4k. But only on DirecTV and we don't actually know which games on which days at what times and probably won't know until the week before. But hey, 4k, huh? So, cool, amiright?"

And they might not want to publicize it just yet. They have some massive cable companies as clients, and running free promos that are de facto DirecTV commercials isn't going to sit well. Now, when they have more details, DirecTV might buy some ads to promote it. IIRC, the same has been true of Notre Dame games. Saw plenty of promos on NBC for those games and not one of them said anything about them being in 4k on DirecTV (except the ones PAID for by DirecTV). Admittedly, I skip a lot of ads, though..

Oh, and there have been rumors. Ever since the announcement of the AT&T/Time Warner merger, though those have been held very close to the vest.
All fair. I'll believe that we're seeing 4k games when announced, but i would bet that we're being bamboozled on this one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4864 of 5686 Old 03-02-2019, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
...but i would bet that we're being bamboozled on this one...
Nah. They're gonna broadcast them. It's pretty clear IMO. The page reads "Watch March 19 – 30". 3/19 is the first NCAA tournament game. It's not possible to list actual games yet, because there are no matchups yet. It's all good...
Terminader and longhorn23 like this.
post #4865 of 5686 Old 03-04-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Match Madness means the actual tournament. Not conference tournaments.

I'm not one to say I told you so but...............
https://tvanswerman.com/2019/03/02/d...naments-in-4k/
longhorn23 likes this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #4866 of 5686 Old 03-04-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Neither of his articles mean anything - he's only basing his info on the same things we have - the sketchy picture, and the 4k schedule.

His track record is long and extremely undistinguished.
Terminader likes this.
post #4867 of 5686 Old 03-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't think anyone said other tournaments weren't going to have any 4k. Even your linked article says some of the NCAA Men's Tournament, trademarked "March Madness" would be in 4k. If he's right, it would appear DirecTV will have some of all three in 4k, with 4k exclusivity on the March Madness (TM) games.

Trust me. You can't use the term "March Madness" to refer to anything other than the NCAA tournaments. Not the Big 10, not the NIT, not a used car clearance sale, nothing.

On the bright side, in 2020, the Final Four and Championship belong to TBS, so 4k carriage of those is more likely.

Last edited by DrDon; 03-04-2019 at 07:49 AM.
post #4868 of 5686 Old 03-04-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Uhhh, I wasn't wrong. The term March Madness means actual NCAA tournament games. I know you're all excited and ready to pound your chest claiming you were correct, but sorry it's just not going to happen this time. Sorry to deflate your celebratory balloon.
Terminader likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4869 of 5686 Old 03-04-2019, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 440
https://blog.solidsignal.com/news/di...ball-schedule/

ere’s the list of upcoming programs, as we know them so far:
  • March 10: New Orleans at Atlanta (channel 106)
  • March 13: Big East Tournament Games 1-2 (channel 105)
  • March 13: Big 10 Tournament Games 1-2) (channel 106)
  • March 14: Big East Tournament Games 3-6 (channel 105)
  • March 14: Big 10 Tournament Games 3-6 (channel 106)
  • March 15: Big East Tournament Games 7-8 (channel 105)
  • March 15: Big 10 Tournament Games 7-8 (channel 105)
  • March 15: Milwaukee at Miam (channel 105)
  • March 19: Los Angeles Lakers at Milwaukee (channel 106)
  • March 19-30 (possibly longer) March Madness to be announced
Terminader and longhorn23 like this.

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #4870 of 5686 Old 03-07-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Audio issues

Is anyone still having vacillating volume issues on channels and if so, is there a fix? This pertains to watching recordings from the DVR, which comprise 90% of what we watch.

It seems the issue comes and goes just like intelligibility of the speech on affected programs. You’ll be watching a recorded show and then it’s as if the dialogue’s volume gets dialed down 10db, yet the music or audio effects track stays fixed at the same volume. 30 seconds later, the dialogue returns to normal levels. There are times it gets so bad, that we need to put the closed captioning on.

What’s interesting is that the issue isn’t always repeatable. At times you can re-cue an affected spot and on the 2nd play it’s fine. Bizarre.
post #4871 of 5686 Old 03-07-2019, 05:29 AM
rlb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2274 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Is anyone still having vacillating volume issues on channels and if so, is there a fix? This pertains to watching recordings from the DVR, which comprise 90% of what we watch.

It seems the issue comes and goes just like intelligibility of the speech on affected programs. You’ll be watching a recorded show and then it’s as if the dialogue’s volume gets dialed down 10db, yet the music or audio effects track stays fixed at the same volume. 30 seconds later, the dialogue returns to normal levels. There are times it gets so bad, that we need to put the closed captioning on.

What’s interesting is that the issue isn’t always repeatable. At times you can re-cue an affected spot and on the 2nd play it’s fine. Bizarre.
We don't have the issue with our Genie 2 and C61Ks.

What would seem obvious is that the issue is somewhere in the output of your DVR. Its not upstream (i.e., DVR recording or satellite output) because it isn't always repeatable. It's not in your AVR if you don't have the same issue with other component inputs. Anyway, that's my observation for what it's worth (maybe not much).

Sony XBR75Z9D, Samsung 65F9000 , Yamaha CX-A5200 & Outlaw 770
Samsung K8500, OPPO 103-D, Genie 2 and C61Ks, Roku Ultra, ATV4K, and Harmony Elite
post #4872 of 5686 Old 03-07-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

My wife and I were discussing this the other night.
I'm not sure if it is an issue with the equipment or if it is just the way the audio for the programs are mixed.

Chicago Fire is an example.
You can hardly hear the dialog so you turn up the volume, then the fire trucks start rolling and the sound blows you out of your seat.
I usually have control of the remote and spend the entire program turning the volume up and down.
100% of my listening is through a 5.1.2 atmos system.

I can't say that I have noticed your specific issue however.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #4873 of 5686 Old 03-07-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 506
I would check what is the program's audio encoding (perhaps a glitch of DTV Atmos), then check if your AVR correctly processing it, also will check center speaker /wire/connection and the AVR center amp setup...
post #4874 of 5686 Old 03-07-2019, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

isnt there a setting to even out volumes on most avrs?
Terminader likes this.

service - directv
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #4875 of 5686 Old 03-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
We don't have the issue with our Genie 2 and C61Ks.

What would seem obvious is that the issue is somewhere in the output of your DVR. Its not upstream (i.e., DVR recording or satellite output) because it isn't always repeatable. It's not in your AVR if you don't have the same issue with other component inputs. Anyway, that's my observation for what it's worth (maybe not much).
I wonder if the Genie 2 is less prone to this. I won't get the Genie 2 because then I'm locked in with a commitment. Otherwise, you're right, I doubt it's the AVR since this is the only source it occurs with.

Quote:
My wife and I were discussing this the other night.
I'm not sure if it is an issue with the equipment or if it is just the way the audio for the programs are mixed.

Chicago Fire is an example.
You can hardly hear the dialog so you turn up the volume, then the fire trucks start rolling and the sound blows you out of your seat.
I usually have control of the remote and spend the entire program turning the volume up and down.
100% of my listening is through a 5.1.2 atmos system.

I can't say that I have noticed your specific issue however.
Yeah, your issue sounds like a mixing issue. The big difference is that in your case the dialogue sounds as if it's relatively consistent whereas mine goes up & down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I would check what is the program's audio encoding (perhaps a glitch of DTV Atmos), then check if your AVR correctly processing it, also will check center speaker /wire/connection and the AVR center amp setup...
I don't have an Atmos setup, so the encoding seems to be regular DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
isnt there a setting to even out volumes on most avrs?
Yes, but I don't think that would solve this issue.
post #4876 of 5686 Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 506
As usually dialogs/talking heads audio coming from center speaker, I would dig in that direction: HW, settings...
post #4877 of 5686 Old 03-13-2019, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a question as I try to move my 4K from an RVU to a C61K.

My DirecTV setup has been working fine for years. I'm about to add a C61K (and stop using the RVU in my old Samsung TV) so I was looking at my splitter for a spare coax port.

This is what I see from my splitter:

- HR54 (genie) (no ethernet connection; this is "by the book" for D*)
- Connected Home Adapter (DCAU1R0-01) connected to my network
- DECA Broadband Adapter (DECABB1MR0-01), aka. Cinema connection kit, connected to my network
- Wireless video bridge (I have a C41W in another room)

I believe the RVU in the Samsung TV requires a DECA. But I'm confused why there is a second one... does that seem right?

Can someone help me fix this setup, in preparation for losing the RVU and adding a C61K?
post #4878 of 5686 Old 03-13-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
https://blog.solidsignal.com/news/di...ball-schedule/

ere’s the list of upcoming programs, as we know them so far:
  • March 10: New Orleans at Atlanta (channel 106)
  • March 13: Big East Tournament Games 1-2 (channel 105)
  • March 13: Big 10 Tournament Games 1-2) (channel 106)
  • March 14: Big East Tournament Games 3-6 (channel 105)
  • March 14: Big 10 Tournament Games 3-6 (channel 106)
  • March 15: Big East Tournament Games 7-8 (channel 105)
  • March 15: Big 10 Tournament Games 7-8 (channel 105)
  • March 15: Milwaukee at Miam (channel 105)
  • March 19: Los Angeles Lakers at Milwaukee (channel 106)
  • March 19-30 (possibly longer) March Madness to be announced
Fyi I have a chart posted on this forum.
On the main page of HDTV programming

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
longhorn23 likes this.

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT
Bell Atlantic or its Subsidiaries
post #4879 of 5686 Old 03-13-2019, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn337 View Post
Got a question as I try to move my 4K from an RVU to a C61K.

My DirecTV setup has been working fine for years. I'm about to add a C61K (and stop using the RVU in my old Samsung TV) so I was looking at my splitter for a spare coax port.

This is what I see from my splitter:

- HR54 (genie) (no ethernet connection; this is "by the book" for D*)
- Connected Home Adapter (DCAU1R0-01) connected to my network
- DECA Broadband Adapter (DECABB1MR0-01), aka. Cinema connection kit, connected to my network
- Wireless video bridge (I have a C41W in another room)

I believe the RVU in the Samsung TV requires a DECA. But I'm confused why there is a second one... does that seem right?

Can someone help me fix this setup, in preparation for losing the RVU and adding a C61K?

thats not by the book
the deca should be connected to a coax, then to the tv
you just swap the coax to the mini, and use an hdmi instead of ethernet to the tv

service - directv
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #4880 of 5686 Old 03-15-2019, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Nah. They're gonna broadcast them. It's pretty clear IMO. The page reads "Watch March 19 – 30". 3/19 is the first NCAA tournament game. It's not possible to list actual games yet, because there are no matchups yet. It's all good...
I'll GLADLY take my crow fried, with some hot sauce!!!

https://start.att.net/exclusive/att/4k just got updated

First Four – March 19 and March 20 in Dayton, OH*
First/Second Rounds – March 22 and March 24 in Tulsa, OK*
Regionals – March 28 and March 30 in Anaheim, CA*

Now, if they knew the sites already (especially the first four), why not just say that outright?
Don S and longhorn23 like this.
post #4881 of 5686 Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And I am also one to admit when I am wrong.
https://start.att.net/exclusive/att/4k

I was wrong.
DrDon, scottiemon and longhorn23 like this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #4882 of 5686 Old 03-15-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3855 Post(s)
Liked: 3813
Apologies in advance , I have one tv is my only option to get 4k to upgrade to the Genie 2 for $399 ? I currently have a genie h54 .

Tia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #4883 of 5686 Old 03-15-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

you only need a c61k, the hr54 will feed 4k to it

but both units would be hooked to the same tv, it would be $7 a month more

service - directv
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #4884 of 5686 Old 03-15-2019, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3855 Post(s)
Liked: 3813
Quote:
you only need a c61k, the hr54 will feed 4k to it

but both units would be hooked to the same tv, it would be $7 a month more

Okay that seems more palatable thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #4885 of 5686 Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

fyi: it will start a new 2 year contract

service - directv
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #4886 of 5686 Old 03-15-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Uhhh, I wasn't wrong. The term March Madness means actual NCAA tournament games. I know you're all excited and ready to pound your chest claiming you were correct, but sorry it's just not going to happen this time. Sorry to deflate your celebratory balloon.
Quote:
And I am also one to admit when I am wrong.
https://start.att.net/exclusive/att/4k

I was wrong.
Im also not one to say I told you so.... So I'll just say... Respect for admitting you were wrong.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4887 of 5686 Old 03-15-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any Wisconsin fans out there, the Badgers are on 106 in full 4K HDR glory! On Wisconsin....
Goalline likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4888 of 5686 Old 03-17-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1695 Post(s)
Liked: 1290
Was anyone else underwhelmed at channel 106 (Big Ten Tournament) compared to 105(Big East Tournament)? I thought the Big Ten needed to have the gamma reduced a bit as compared to Big East which looked amazing.
I WANT MORE likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #4889 of 5686 Old 03-17-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Was anyone else underwhelmed at channel 106 (Big Ten Tournament) compared to 105(Big East Tournament)? I thought the Big Ten needed to have the gamma reduced a bit as compared to Big East which looked amazing.
I agree, something seemed off, like it was slightly washed out. But 105 looked amazing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
CCsoftball7 and I WANT MORE like this.
post #4890 of 5686 Old 03-18-2019, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Extrapolating based on announced 4k production assignments and current game schedule, these are the possible 4k games on DirecTV through Friday.

All times Eastern and approximate (except for lead-off game, which should go on time)

Tuesday, March 19
6:30pm Prairie View vs. Farleigh Dickinson
9:00pm Temple vs. Belmont

Wednesday, March 20
6:30pm NC Central vs. North Dakota State
9:00pm St. John's vs. Arizona State

Friday, March 21st
1:20pm Northern Kentucky vs. Texas Tech
3:50pm Arizona St./St. John's vs. Buffalo
7:15pm Georgia St. vs. Houston
9:45pm Ohio St. vs. Iowa St.

March Madness 2019 discussion thread

Last edited by DrDon; 03-19-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page