post #5791 of 5953 Old 12-13-2019, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
Well, since it only displays Searching for Signal and then switches to Just a few more seconds, how does one get to menu?

I have determined it is an HR44 by another means. I have unplugged it and get the same thing. I have done the red button reset and it does the same thing. Since I have it and 1 client, there was no TV tonight.

And if it is glitches in transmitting APG data at DTV side, why aren't others getting it and posting about it?

could be a dish alignment issue.
or any snow on the dish?

might be time for a service call

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5792 of 5953 Old 12-13-2019, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
could be a dish alignment issue.
or any snow on the dish?

might be time for a service call

No snow. Called for service. Haven't dealt with them in years. What a mess. Took about 30 minutes and it seems they read a script and don't listen to the problem. Kept getting asked for an error #. Explained numerous times there aren't any error #'s, just the looping verbiage. So they schedule a tech to come out for MONDAY AFTERNOON.
post #5793 of 5953 Old 12-13-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

too bad you dont have another recevier, to see if its the box or the dish
another strike against clients

do you have a power inserter?
verify its working?

service - directv
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5794 of 5953 Old 12-13-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Is the Power inserter, the approx. 3x6 brick that they plug into the splitter? If so, its green light is on.

When I moved to the Genie, I really wanted the recoding list to be on 1 box so I didn't have to manage a list at both TVs. 4 years (since install) without a problem. Now, I see the problem of having it on 1 box. But if it is a dish alignment, none would work if I had 2 boxes. We haven't had high winds or a storm in the last week or 2. Do dishes randomly go out of alignment?
post #5795 of 5953 Old 12-13-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7405 Post(s)
Liked: 8305
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKlim View Post
It's basically Directv through your internet connection rather than your satellite dish (same channel numbers and everything) with a 500 hour cloud DVR. I imagine it would work well for those who like/want Directv but:

a) Cannot mount a dish in a feasible location for whatever reason
-or-
b) Are tired of some of the genie bugs, i.e., video freezes/dropouts, audio glitches, etc. (as documented previously in this thread and elsewhere around the 'net).

If users of the existing satellite service like it and are not experiencing the above issues, they'll likely have little incentive to switch.
Although I'd certainly look at the product, you'd have to note (at least at this point) there is no announced 4K programming for this new service.
MikeKlim and longhorn23 like this.
post #5796 of 5953 Old 12-13-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is the Power inserter, the approx. 3x6 brick that they plug into the splitter? If so, its green light is on.

When I moved to the Genie, I really wanted the recoding list to be on 1 box so I didn't have to manage a list at both TVs. 4 years (since install) without a problem. Now, I see the problem of having it on 1 box. But if it is a dish alignment, none would work if I had 2 boxes. We haven't had high winds or a storm in the last week or 2. Do dishes randomly go out of alignment?

not normaly
but hows the dish mounted?
extreme temp changes have been known to cause issues
maybe rain got into the lnb?
there are many things that may have happened

service - directv
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
post #5797 of 5953 Old 12-13-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Exclamation

Quote:

you have one box HR44 with tuners what depend on a signal from a dish, and a client - tunerless box what is depend on HR44 exclusively.
post #5798 of 5953 Old 12-13-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
It's basically Directv through your internet connection rather than your satellite dish (same channel numbers and everything) with a 500 hour cloud DVR. I imagine it would work well for those who like/want Directv but:

-or-
b) Are tired of some of the genie bugs, i.e., video freezes/dropouts, audio glitches, etc. (as documented previously in this thread and elsewhere around the 'net).

If users of the existing satellite service like it and are not experiencing the above issues, they'll likely have little incentive to switch.
As of now there is no 4K, no redzone, no Sunday ticket and other missing sports channels. If you have a 4K TV, they have also made a poor decision as of now to force "fake HDR" and 4K upscaling to all channels/content. Hard pass.
longhorn23 likes this.
post #5799 of 5953 Old 12-13-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:

-or-

i would switch if they didn’t put a retention time limit on the recordings.

Jack
post #5800 of 5953 Old 12-13-2019, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked: 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
This will not work with the Genie2 RS17 will it?
It'll work with the clients. If it has an HDMI output port, you can use a capture box to record. In some cases, a little creativity getting around HDCP may be necessary. I can't help you with that. I've never owned a DirecTV DVR. I have off-the-shelf receivers routed through capture boxes to HTPCs. Every recording is editable and fully portable. I have no storage limits. It's klunky, but I prefer it.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5801 of 5953 Old 12-14-2019, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Random thoughts...

The new "dish free" stuff looks interesting, but I still want a hard drive in my local DVR. A month or two ago I set up my cousin's Xfinity cable modem and the Xfinitly box. The DVR, it's cloud based, and it's laggy at best. I want quick response not waiting for a signal to reach the cloud and respond. It did have one nice feature, on some show, not all, it would auto skip the commercials. I just use the 30 second skip on my DVRs and I'm pretty good at guessing how many time to press, but that was nice.

I have the protection plan but think I"m dropping it as it is of no value to me. I asked about the "free" upgrade but it comes with a commitment and I'm not about to commit at this point with so many other options out there. Was looking at upgrading to 4K but content is severely lacking on D, so no benefit from the protection plan upgrade there either.

The only thing really keeping me with D is the ease of use, all my HR24s work well as does my old HR20, no glitches, whole home is solid and the system responds quickly.
post #5802 of 5953 Old 12-14-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Random thoughts...

The only thing really keeping me with D is the ease of use, all my HR24s work well as does my old HR20, no glitches, whole home is solid and the system responds quickly.
That’s some dinosaur equipment. HR20=13 yrs old. HR24=9 yrs old. The mini’s are not cloud base and are lightning fast compared to what you own. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the HS17 and 3 C61K’s. You will get your 4K and have an overall better experience.
Terminader and BiggShooter like this.
post #5803 of 5953 Old 12-14-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Clark View Post
That’s some dinosaur equipment. HR20=13 yrs old. HR24=9 yrs old. The mini’s are not cloud base and are lightning fast compared to what you own. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the HS17 and 3 C61K’s. You will get your 4K and have an overall better experience.
Do not get the 17 and minis if you already have 24s! Get a 54 and keep the 24s.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #5804 of 5953 Old 12-14-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I would but as I mentioned I'm not getting into a year or two contract at this point. The 4k stuff from D is minimal so no value to me there, and as it is things just work. I get lots of 4K from various other sources so I'm not lacking. Part of me is kind of waiting for them to run out of refurb HR24s, and then with a failure I might get some new stuff. Plus the HR20 does do OTA and my AM21's both died. New stuff does not do what I get now in some cases.
joe221, DrDon and I WANT MORE like this.
post #5805 of 5953 Old 12-14-2019, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6465 Post(s)
Liked: 7175
When I set up my new TV it asked me what my cable/sat provider was. The choice was DirecTV (USA) or DirecTV (Charlotte). I don't actually live in the city anymore, but moved a few miles away. All my locals are still Charlotte stations. I picked DTV USA. Should I have picked DTV Charlotte?
post #5806 of 5953 Old 12-14-2019, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Clark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Random thoughts...

That’️s some dinosaur equipment. HR20=13 yrs old. HR24=9 yrs old. The mini’️s are not cloud base and are lightning fast compared to what you own. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the HS17 and 3 C61K’️s. You will get your 4K and have an overall better experience.
Dnice said the hr 24 has the best picture quality out of all the options.
post #5807 of 5953 Old 12-15-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 3415
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
When I set up my new TV it asked me what my cable/sat provider was. The choice was DirecTV (USA) or DirecTV (Charlotte). I don't actually live in the city anymore, but moved a few miles away. All my locals are still Charlotte stations. I picked DTV USA. Should I have picked DTV Charlotte?
As you know, these new smart devices are huge data collecting machines. My guess is, by choosing Charlotte or whatever your location is, it will target your interests and habits for that area. If you haven't turned off the ACR feature, you may want to do so. If you want to be reminded to eat your vegetables every day, then leave it on.

How to Turn Off Smart TV Snooping Features
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #5808 of 5953 Old 12-15-2019, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Directv is an absolutely terrible company!! I received this email and of course it wasn’t activated on my account. I spent at least an hour on the phone with them and of course they didn’t know anything about it. Twice I asked for a supervisor from talking to 2 different reps and they both tried to disguise their voices saying they were supervisors. What a joke of a company! I’ve been with them for almost 20 years and this company has just absolutely tanked!! Sorry for my long rant and thanks for listening!! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joe221 and BiggShooter like this.

SONY XBR-65X900F - Sony UDP X800- PSA 210T L/R -PHANTOM CENTER -ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS -PSA S3000i - MARANTZ SR6013 - APPLE TV -DIRECTV HR44 -HARMONY ELITE

BASEMENT SETUP- SAMSUNG UN466500- ENERGY RC50'S L/R-ENERGY RC LCR- DENON-AVR-3311CI- PS3 -APPLETV- MINI GENIE
post #5809 of 5953 Old 12-17-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Been a little over a week since i swapped my HR54 for an HS17. Using the HS17 with 4 clients, 3 of which are 4K capable (no change in clients from HR54.) For me this was an upgrade in available tuners and with just myself, wife and toddler is sufficient. The clients responsiveness is noticeably faster and the ability to watch 2 concurrent 4K feeds is a plus.

I know many here are against the HS17 and recommend staying put with the HR54 or adding additional outdated hardware. For my use case the HS17 has been a nice upgrade and i should have done it sooner.
post #5810 of 5953 Old 12-17-2019, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7405 Post(s)
Liked: 8305
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Been a little over a week since i swapped my HR54 for an HS17. Using the HS17 with 4 clients, 3 of which are 4K capable (no change in clients from HR54.) For me this was an upgrade in available tuners and with just myself, wife and toddler is sufficient. The clients responsiveness is noticeably faster and the ability to watch 2 concurrent 4K feeds is a plus.

I know many here are against the HS17 and recommend staying put with the HR54 or adding additional outdated hardware. For my use case the HS17 has been a nice upgrade and i should have done it sooner.
My feelings were just like yours, an upgrade. I didn't need the additional tuners and the marked improvement in responsiveness of the clients was alone worth the switch.
joe221, rlb, njfoses and 2 others like this.
post #5811 of 5953 Old 12-17-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Completely satisfied and extremely happy upgrading to the HS17 from the HR54. No regrets!
rlb, njfoses, Terminader and 1 others like this.
post #5812 of 5953 Old 12-17-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggShooter View Post
Completely satisfied and extremely happy upgrading to the HS17 from the HR54. No regrets!
How many programs did you lose when you changed your DVR? Do you miss being able to watch them?
post #5813 of 5953 Old 12-17-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
How many programs did you lose when you changed your DVR? Do you miss being able to watch them?
We lost all of them. Most of them were programs / shows / movies we already watched. It was easy to set up having those programs recorded once again on the HS17. It always sucks losing what you have, but starting over is soon forgotten after a few weeks of having the HS17.
joe221, Terminader and longhorn23 like this.
post #5814 of 5953 Old 12-17-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggShooter View Post
We lost all of them. Most of them were programs / shows / movies we already watched. It was easy to set up having those programs recorded once again on the HS17. It always sucks losing what you have, but starting over is soon forgotten after a few weeks of having the HS17.
You mean, they were being rebroadcast and you had an opportunity to re-record them? Most of the stuff I'd lose on my HR54 are programs I have not yet watched which I probably won't see again. Second, what improvements did you find with the HS17? Any improvement in PQ or audio quality? Or was it just speed of response? My HR54 usually responds just about instantly to a button press, so I'm curious about that.
post #5815 of 5953 Old 12-17-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post
Directv is an absolutely terrible company!! I received this email and of course it wasn’t activated on my account. I spent at least an hour on the phone with them and of course they didn’t know anything about it. Twice I asked for a supervisor from talking to 2 different reps and they both tried to disguise their voices saying they were supervisors. What a joke of a company! I’ve been with them for almost 20 years and this company has just absolutely tanked!! Sorry for my long rant and thanks for listening!! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess DirecTV makes most of their money for NFLST from unsuspecting subscribers and restaurants/bars since they give it away to so many people.
post #5816 of 5953 Old 12-17-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 3415
Quote:
My HR54 usually responds just about instantly to a button press, so I'm curious about that.
My HR54 must have Alzheimer's. Sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds to respond.
joe221, rlb and BiggShooter like this.
post #5817 of 5953 Old 12-17-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
You mean, they were being rebroadcast and you had an opportunity to re-record them? Most of the stuff I'd lose on my HR54 are programs I have not yet watched which I probably won't see again. Second, what improvements did you find with the HS17? Any improvement in PQ or audio quality? Or was it just speed of response? My HR54 usually responds just about instantly to a button press, so I'm curious about that.
We have five 4K Genie Mini's in our home. I didn't notice any PQ improvements, but the audio quality seems to be an improvement (if connected directly to TV). I noticed no difference in PQ or Audio Quality improvements with one of the 4K Genie Mini's connected directly to the Denon AVR-X4300H which passes the signal (untouched) to the Sony XBR-75X940D. Speed and response, to me, is quicker than it was on the HR54. I had my doubts about switching to the HS17, but those were quickly forgotten after a few hours of using the HS17.
Terminader likes this.

Last edited by BiggShooter; 12-17-2019 at 08:00 PM.
post #5818 of 5953 Old 12-17-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
My HR54 must have Alzheimer's. Sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds to respond.
Must have? DOES have!

I know mine had Alzheimer's!
Aliens and joe221 like this.
post #5819 of 5953 Old 12-18-2019, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

And, I concur.
post #5820 of 5953 Old 12-18-2019, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 408
I mentioned this on my 4k chart thread ... looks like altitude sports is doing 4k now

"Altitude Sports will broadcast Wednesday’s Nuggets-vs.-Magic game in 4K HDR the regional sports network told The Denver Post, becoming one of the first RSNs in the country to utilize the technology... "

(the article also mentiones future NHL Colorado Avalanche games will be in 4K HDR)

Source: https://www.denverpost.com/201...e-s...-magic-4k-hdr/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
longhorn23 likes this.

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT
Bell Atlantic or its Subsidiaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page