Directv II HD/4k - Page 203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16351Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6061 of 6190 Old 02-09-2020, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
jmacari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cranston, RI
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Looking for some help-

I've had a HR54/c61k Mini setup in the home theatre room for several years; whole home server setup all that time with a HR 24-500 in the bedroom , i.e., share playlists, recorded shows on either box. The HR24-500 hard drive went, so I had DIRECTV/ATT send me a replacement. Hooked it (reconditioned HR24-500, naturally) up the other day, everything was fine at first; the last few days, having all kind of glitches.....losing the recordings/playlist from the HR24-500 at times, or they're listed but won't play...no rhyme or reason to any of it. the HR 54 recordings are always viewable/ listed on the HR24-500....if I do a reset on the HR24-500, the playlists returns (on the HR54)...but then may go missing again......weird. I'm thinking the replacement HR24-500 they sent me is not up to snuff...before I call ATT for ANOTHER box/24-500, I thought I would post this to see if anybody might have any ideas what to try......

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
jmacari is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6062 of 6190 Old 02-09-2020, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 4,049
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post
Looking for some help-

I've had a HR54/c61k Mini setup in the home theatre room for several years; whole home server setup all that time with a HR 24-500 in the bedroom , i.e., share playlists, recorded shows on either box. The HR24-500 hard drive went, so I had DIRECTV/ATT send me a replacement. Hooked it (reconditioned HR24-500, naturally) up the other day, everything was fine at first; the last few days, having all kind of glitches.....losing the recordings/playlist from the HR24-500 at times, or they're listed but won't play...no rhyme or reason to any of it. the HR 54 recordings are always viewable/ listed on the HR24-500....if I do a reset on the HR24-500, the playlists returns (on the HR54)...but then may go missing again......weird. I'm thinking the replacement HR24-500 they sent me is not up to snuff...before I call ATT for ANOTHER box/24-500, I thought I would post this to see if anybody might have any ideas what to try......
HS17 and don’t look back.
Terminader likes this.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #6063 of 6190 Old 02-09-2020, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
jmacari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cranston, RI
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
HS17 and don’t look back.
Why?? The HR54 is fine....
I WANT MORE likes this.

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
jmacari is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6064 of 6190 Old 02-09-2020, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post
Why?? The HR54 is fine....
The sergeant said "Go!", you must go
P Smith is offline  
post #6065 of 6190 Old 02-10-2020, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Md's lower shore
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 471
call back, tell them the new hr24 wont turn on


unfortunately they are trying to force people to the hs17

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
mdram is offline  
post #6066 of 6190 Old 02-10-2020, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 21,229
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked: 3633
question on an HR-24

I have an HR-24 (love its caller ID feature) that has been working great for over a year: this morning the screen was blacked out with a message there was no internet connection: this particular DVR was never connected to the internet (there is still a rubber plug in the ethernet port) as there is no need

I do have other DVR's including an HR54 that are connected to internet on same SWM

is there a way to stop this message from appearing?

tia

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner


markrubin is offline  
post #6067 of 6190 Old 02-10-2020, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Md's lower shore
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 471
nope, it will usually get its internet from the receiver that is connected. try a reboot



oh and the caller id feature has been removed from most units. if it ever stops working it may never work again.
markrubin likes this.

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
mdram is offline  
post #6068 of 6190 Old 02-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
wouldtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
call back, tell them the new hr24 wont turn on


unfortunately they are trying to force people to the hs17
The HS17 has its positive sides and negative sides for me over the HR54.

HR54 does well, but we have 7 TVs and you could only watch 3 at a time plus record 1 (my wife, daughter, and mother-in-law were always watching or recording, so I never got to watch much, lol. The HS17 allows all TVs to play whatever anyone wants to watch.

HR54 always displayed good quality 4K on my Sony. With the HS17, my Sony doesn’t has a terrible handshake with the HS17, so 4K quality sucks.
Terminader likes this.

Sony HW55ES Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
JAMO c80 sur Surround
wouldtoo is offline  
post #6069 of 6190 Old 02-12-2020, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Md's lower shore
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldtoo View Post
The HS17 has its positive sides and negative sides for me over the HR54.

HR54 does well, but we have 7 TVs and you could only watch 3 at a time plus record 1 (my wife, daughter, and mother-in-law were always watching or recording, so I never got to watch much, lol. The HS17 allows all TVs to play whatever anyone wants to watch.

HR54 always displayed good quality 4K on my Sony. With the HS17, my Sony doesn’t has a terrible handshake with the HS17, so 4K quality sucks.



hs17 is limited to 7 tuners, if all tvs are in use you cant record
you should have added h25's or hr24s to your other tvs and only used a c61k on the sony
I WANT MORE likes this.

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
mdram is offline  
post #6070 of 6190 Old 02-12-2020, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
wouldtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
hs17 is limited to 7 tuners, if all tvs are in use you cant record
you should have added h25's or hr24s to your other tvs and only used a c61k on the sony[/QUOTE]

Luckily, we haven’t had any problems watching and recording. Been very happy with the exception of the quality of 4K. I’m usually watching in my man cave on the 110” anyway.

Sony HW55ES Projector
Integra DTR-50.3 7.1 Receiver
Sony BDP-BX58 Blu-Ray
Jamo c807 Fronts
Jamo c80 cen Center
JAMO c80 sur Surround
wouldtoo is offline  
post #6071 of 6190 Old 02-13-2020, 03:33 AM
Member
 
vfr781rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Everyone else having intermittent freezes again with their HR54/C61K? Mine was doing it back in September when I got a new HR54, stopped for a long while, and has started again. Only once a night or so. I notice the software got updated late January, so I presume that is the culprit. Recordings are always fine.
vfr781rider is offline  
post #6072 of 6190 Old 02-13-2020, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Is your HDMI cable certified for UHD ?
P Smith is offline  
post #6073 of 6190 Old 02-13-2020, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
I WANT MORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 2,764
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldtoo View Post
The HS17 has its positive sides and negative sides for me over the HR54.

HR54 does well, but we have 7 TVs and you could only watch 3 at a time plus record 1 (my wife, daughter, and mother-in-law were always watching or recording, so I never got to watch much, lol. The HS17 allows all TVs to play whatever anyone wants to watch.

HR54 always displayed good quality 4K on my Sony. With the HS17, my Sony doesn’t has a terrible handshake with the HS17, so 4K quality sucks.
Since the HS17 does not output video, how does it have handshake issues? Same question relative to the 4k quality sucking.
Ken Ross, rlb and Terminader like this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

I WANT MORE is offline  
post #6074 of 6190 Old 02-13-2020, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,720
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
Since the HS17 does not output video, how does it have handshake issues? Same question relative to the 4k quality sucking.
Well, that would certainly explain poor video...
I WANT MORE likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #6075 of 6190 Old 02-13-2020, 06:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Is your HDMI cable certified for UHD ?
I have had the same issue since my recent upgrade, as noted earlier. I also changed cable to premium certified and saw no effect. I had a technician come to the house on the issue last week, and he confirmed another users report that “it is what it is, learn to live with it”. Directv knows about it and is working on a software update to address.

I’ve implemented a workaround which is to use the HR54 for routine TV, and c61k for 4K events only.
pikemike is offline  
post #6076 of 6190 Old 02-13-2020, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Md's lower shore
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 471
the issue has been around for a long time
iirc it started with the new gui rollout and is considered a software issue

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
mdram is offline  
post #6077 of 6190 Old 02-13-2020, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr781rider View Post
Everyone else having intermittent freezes again with their HR54/C61K? Mine was doing it back in September when I got a new HR54, stopped for a long while, and has started again. Only once a night or so. I notice the software got updated late January, so I presume that is the culprit. Recordings are always fine.
Mine does it all the time. I’ve kind of learned to just let it go. One day I’ll do the conversion to the HS17 or whatever is current when I do it.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #6078 of 6190 Old 02-13-2020, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jconjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,199
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
the issue has been around for a long time
iirc it started with the new gui rollout and is considered a software issue
^ This! It's frustrating to read people blaming the HDMI cables for this issue.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
jconjason is offline  
post #6079 of 6190 Old 02-13-2020, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
^ This! It's frustrating to read people blaming the HDMI cables for this issue.
If you did follow the thread for last couple years you wouldn't dismiss the cable.
Transistorious likes this.
P Smith is offline  
post #6080 of 6190 Old 02-13-2020, 12:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikemike View Post
I have had the same issue since my recent upgrade, as noted earlier. I also changed cable to premium certified and saw no effect. I had a technician come to the house on the issue last week, and he confirmed another users report that “it is what it is, learn to live with it”. Directv knows about it and is working on a software update to address.

I’ve implemented a workaround which is to use the HR54 for routine TV, and c61k for 4K events only.
Forgot to mention that the tech advised me to call DTV and complain. I did, primarily because I was not advised of this bug prior to recently upgrading to 4k. I demanded free NFL Sunday Ticket for this year as compensation and I got it. I never got one of those emails mentioned here, but referenced that in my conversation.
joe221 likes this.
pikemike is offline  
post #6081 of 6190 Old 02-14-2020, 03:18 AM
Member
 
vfr781rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Is your HDMI cable certified for UHD ?
Yep. And worked fine until I got my latest HR54. I had them swap it and the problem was gone by and large for 5 months and just recently came back. It's not bad. Maybe once a night for 2-3 seconds.
vfr781rider is offline  
post #6082 of 6190 Old 02-14-2020, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr781rider View Post
Yep. And worked fine until I got my latest HR54. I had them swap it and the problem was gone by and large for 5 months and just recently came back. It's not bad. Maybe once a night for 2-3 seconds.
Why the company [DTV] didn't add to last FW some diag screen for HDMI/HDCP issues and a status ?!
P Smith is offline  
post #6083 of 6190 Old 02-14-2020, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
I WANT MORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 'Middle of Nowhere
Posts: 2,764
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
If you did follow the thread for last couple years you wouldn't dismiss the cable.

The cable being the issue was dismissed two years ago by everyone with the exception of one member.
jconjason and longhorn23 like this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

I WANT MORE is offline  
post #6084 of 6190 Old 02-14-2020, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 529
There are a lot of people with UHD TV using old HDMI cables, so your statement is irrelevant.
P Smith is offline  
post #6085 of 6190 Old 02-14-2020, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jconjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,199
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
The cable being the issue was dismissed two years ago by everyone with the exception of one member.
Quoted the above for it's relevancy and truth.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
jconjason is offline  
post #6086 of 6190 Old 02-14-2020, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 4,049
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
The cable being the issue was dismissed two years ago by everyone with the exception of one member.
Make that two. It’s the cables. Move them around and watch the problem disappear.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #6087 of 6190 Old 02-15-2020, 06:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
...Move them around and watch the problem disappear.
I’d like to try that. What kind of “moves” are you talking about? What did you do? Can you be specific?
pikemike is offline  
post #6088 of 6190 Old 02-15-2020, 07:22 PM
Member
 
audiophool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Gold Country (foothills) of CA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
4k "source" for DirecTV

Kind of a different question, I am assuming...and haven't found it mentioned anywhere here...

Does the 4k signal from DirecTV actually come through the satellite, or is there some dependence on broadband internet for the signal?

I am dependent on HughesNet for internet, so streaming is "limited" at best...and I see that there is a requirement for "broadband internet" for the DirecTV 4k equipment.

I am a "recent" convert to DirecTV (from Dish, because HBO/GoT)...and the smart-aleck installer wouldn't give me a 4k setup last March (I didn't have 4k compatible equipment at the time, but was on the verge of upgrading).

I would jump on the 4k upgrade, but I can't trust answers I get from customer service based on experience from the last few months, so thanks for any input!

Main: Marantz AV7705, D-Sonic M3a-2800-7, Oppo BDP-105D, Sony UBP-X700, DirecTV, LG C8 OLED TV; L/R: Ascend Sierria 2s; C/SL/SR/SW: older Energy series speakers (EC-200/RVSSx2/ES-12)
Headphone Only: Desktop-->Teac UD-301 DAC -->Schiit Mjolinir Amp-->Sennheiser HD800
audiophool is offline  
post #6089 of 6190 Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophool View Post
Kind of a different question, I am assuming...and haven't found it mentioned anywhere here...

Does the 4k signal from DirecTV actually come through the satellite...?
...
Yes ! It does! See channel lineup, tables from Gary Toma at iamanedgecutter site
Terminader and audiophool like this.
P Smith is offline  
post #6090 of 6190 Old 02-15-2020, 10:35 PM
Member
 
audiophool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Gold Country (foothills) of CA
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks!!

Main: Marantz AV7705, D-Sonic M3a-2800-7, Oppo BDP-105D, Sony UBP-X700, DirecTV, LG C8 OLED TV; L/R: Ascend Sierria 2s; C/SL/SR/SW: older Energy series speakers (EC-200/RVSSx2/ES-12)
Headphone Only: Desktop-->Teac UD-301 DAC -->Schiit Mjolinir Amp-->Sennheiser HD800
audiophool is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off