A short explanation of DirecTV equipment as of 5/6/16
There are 4 types of receivers
1. Receiver - outputs a signal, has a single tuner (H-25, H-25, ect)
2. DVR - outputs a signal, has at 2 tuners (HR-24, HR-21, ect are 2 tuner models)
3. Genie - a special DVR with 5 tuners (HR-34,HR-44, HR-54) also used to feed mini's
Each Genie can have up to 8 minis attached to it, but can only feed 3 at a time.
4. mini - client box, no tuners. it must have a genie in order to work. (directv actually calls this a mini genie, but i will just use mini)
5. Genie 2 - a headless dvr with 7 tuners (hs17) used to feed minis
capable of 2 4k streams at a time. can feed up to 7 minis at one time
when a mini connects to a genie it uses a tuner, reducing the count of tuners available
an hr-44 can feed on demand 4k mini(c61k)
an hr-54 can feed on demand and live 4k to a 4k mini(c61k)
hs-17 can feed on demand and live 4k to up to 2 4k minis(c61k) at one tme
note: A mini can be replaced by a Certified Directv Ready TV (an RVU client). RVU software is handled/updated by the tv manufacturer. The only official RUV connection method is to run a coax from the swm splitter to the tv, then use a deca to connect the coax to the tv ethernet port.
current rvu list
eventually a reverse band lnb will be needed for 4k (when is unknown at this time)
neither and hr-44 or hr-54 can output 4k via hdmi
the only unit that can is the c61k and it must have hr-54 or hs-17 to feed it the signal
the hs17 cannot output any signal on its own it must use a mini
you cannot have any other receiver or dvr with an hs17, only minis
for 4k guide info
Open the Guide, LEFT arrow into the Channel ID (like "104 DTV4K") and press the Info button. You will get a list of all upcoming shows on that channel. Works for all channels on Directv -- always has. I hated the Guide compared to the TIVO guide when we first got Directv, so I went looking for improvement and came up with this.
Another option, use the Guide on Directv.com: https://www.directv.com/guide?lpos=Header:1
It's the same Guide, but it is MUCH faster than the tv version.