AVS Forum banner

DirecTV Master Thread for HD, 4K

488K views 7K replies 396 participants last post by  DrDon 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A short explanation of DirecTV equipment as of 5/6/16

There are 4 types of receivers

1. Receiver - outputs a signal, has a single tuner (H-25, H-25, ect)
2. DVR - outputs a signal, has at 2 tuners (HR-24, HR-21, ect are 2 tuner models)
3. Genie - a special DVR with 5 tuners (HR-34,HR-44, HR-54) also used to feed mini's
Each Genie can have up to 8 minis attached to it, but can only feed 3 at a time.
4. mini - client box, no tuners. it must have a genie in order to work. (directv actually calls this a mini genie, but i will just use mini)
5. Genie 2 - a headless dvr with 7 tuners (hs17) used to feed minis
capable of 2 4k streams at a time. can feed up to 7 minis at one time

when a mini connects to a genie it uses a tuner, reducing the count of tuners available
to record.

for 4k
an hr-44 can feed on demand 4k mini(c61k)
an hr-54 can feed on demand and live 4k to a 4k mini(c61k)
hs-17 can feed on demand and live 4k to up to 2 4k minis(c61k) at one tme
note: A mini can be replaced by a Certified Directv Ready TV (an RVU client). RVU software is handled/updated by the tv manufacturer. The only official RUV connection method is to run a coax from the swm splitter to the tv, then use a deca to connect the coax to the tv ethernet port.

current rvu list
https://support.directv.com/equipment/4386

eventually a reverse band lnb will be needed for 4k (when is unknown at this time)

neither and hr-44 or hr-54 can output 4k via hdmi
the only unit that can is the c61k and it must have hr-54 or hs-17 to feed it the signal

the hs17 cannot output any signal on its own it must use a mini
you cannot have any other receiver or dvr with an hs17, only minis

for 4k guide info

Open the Guide, LEFT arrow into the Channel ID (like "104 DTV4K") and press the Info button. You will get a list of all upcoming shows on that channel. Works for all channels on Directv -- always has. I hated the Guide compared to the TIVO guide when we first got Directv, so I went looking for improvement and came up with this.

Another option, use the Guide on Directv.com: https://www.directv.com/guide?lpos=Header:1
It's the same Guide, but it is MUCH faster than the tv version.

updated 8/31/17

See less See more
#41 ·
Unless I'm missing it, I don't see where it mentions these games as being broadcast in 4K.
No, but why would it. This is basically a soft launch, we don't even see commercials. So I doubt MLB Network cares too much to promote it. Maybe DirecTV is too gun shy to push it too hard after the problems.

These "Showcase" games seem to be the ones produced by MLB Network. The other ones are just rebroadcasts of regional feeds.

Looks like the pattern is holding so far, the Royals game is in the guide.

#13 ·
Cancelled my order again. Received 2 phone messages from a person who claimed to be from Directv earlier in the week saying they were notified that I had some concerns about my upcoming install. (From my emails to Costco Customer relations no doubt} I checked the number and it wasn't from Directv, it was from a company called "Smart Circle". Apparently they have some big network that sells Directv at Costco, Sams Club, Walmart and more. Then I received another phone call today to confirm my appointment for tomorrow. Called Directv to cancel my install, and they couldn't do it because the order wasn't placed through them of course. The Directv agent told me they do in fact have their own installers, and he was well aware of the "Smart Circle" situation and their network of contractors. I'm going to contact AT&T to see what they can do since my Uverse bundle contract is up at the end of the month anyway. At least the I will be dealing with Directv instead of a 3rd, 4th, and 5th party companies/individuals. Had to call the Costco/Directv phone number to cancel.

#14 ·
some third party are great, some not so great

#15 ·
Not willing to gamble. If something goes wrong with the install or purchase transaction, DirecTV won't even be able to help.

Reactions: markrubin
#16 ·
actually once its installed, i do believe directv does the warranty work

#17 ·
Not if the problem is due to improper installation.

#24 ·
I just bought a new Sony 4k TV a few weeks ago and it's supposed to receive DirecTV 4k without a box (at least that's how I understand it). How does it work to get that programming? I currently have a HR-44 already on that TV and a mini in another room.

#31 ·
Direct From DirecTV

Just spent an 45 minutes on chat with AT&T. They matched Costco's initial pricing and rebate, no cancellation fee on my Uverse TV, 24 month guaranteed Directv monthly fees, and extended my internet and voice promos another 12 months. Install is this Sunday by an actual Directv installer. Everything is already showing right on my AT&T account. Much better.:D

Reactions: C-Dub006
#32 ·
Just spent an 45 minutes on chat with AT&T. They matched Costco's initial pricing and rebate, no cancellation fee on my Uverse TV, 24 month guaranteed Directv monthly fees, and extended my internet and voice promos another 12 months. Install is this Sunday by an actual Directv installer. Everything is already showing right on my AT&T account. Much better.:D
that wont include the package price, look for an increase @ feb/march every year

#36 ·
well thats good news then

but i cant lose my verizon unlimited, so no switching for me

#37 ·
Getting D* 4K was a struggle but worth it.

I had an HR44 and decided to buy a Sony 4K tv.

I played CSR roulette and got:
I can't get an HR54
Your account isn't eligible
Yes you can get it would you like to install it tomorrow.

The tech that came was awesome. He knew what an RVU was, installed a new dish and we were up and running...

Until my new Sony tv had a defect and I had to swap it.

Then I played CSR roulette again because my new TV was not authorized. I guess with the RVU it is tied to the MAC address of the TV. I found this out after the following roulette plays:

Yes you can plug it right in the Ethernet port.
No, you need a truck roll.
No you don't need a truck roll I can fix it for you here, no I can't you need a truck roll.
I can fix it - just tell me your TV's MAC address (fixed without a truck roll)

It's obvious the technology is new and not everyone is up to speed on it. As I said to the installer, that's a lot of work and new hardware for one full time channel.

But as he said HDTV was like that once and Directv now has the most HD...

And man the pictures are gorgeous.

It was frustrating, but be persistent (and nice) and you'll get it up and running. I was even refunded the install for the hassle.

#39 ·
Being persistent is the key. As long as you know what you are talking about, it can be done without a truck roll. ;)

#43 ·
From Sports Video Group News,

MLB Network, DirecTV Blaze 4K-Production Trail With Weekly Showcase Series

With each passing week, MLB Network, DirecTV, and Game Creek Video are further mastering the complexities of live-4K production on the MLB Network Showcase series.

In these early, bleeding-edge days of live 4K production, only a handful of broadcasters are producing sports events live in 4K/UHD on a regular basis. BT Sport UHD kicked it off last summer with high-profile European soccer matches and was followed by Rogers Sportsnet and Bell Media’s TSN in Canada, which have produced dozens of NBA, NHL, and Toronto Blue Jays home games. And now the latest addition to the live-4K sports landscape, MLB Network and DirecTV’s slate of weekly MLB Network Showcase games, is off and running.

(Full read at http://www.sportsvideo.org/2016/05/...ail&utm_term=0_5ccb082d23-1e732c1933-77170789

#44 · (Edited)
Since I was out of contract I decided to see what I could get out of D yesterday.
I'm on my second hr34 after the first one bricked last October. It's had the same issues as the old one, wouldn't respond to the remote quickly, pixelation/freezing on live/recorded shows even when the weather's been nice, cutting off recordings early, etc. etc..
My goal was to finagle a hr54 since it's the newest and I have the protection plan. I don't plan on actually getting a 4K tv for another year or so, though I told them otherwise.
The rep tried for about 15min, but turns out the system wouldn't let her get me one without a 4K channel pkg. I said that was fine because I'm not going to get a 54 and pay for 4K I can't watch though she offered that option. She said she'd request a hr44 be mailed out and if a 34 showed up to call back and they'd send out a tech with a 44.
Well, imagine my surprise when in less than 24hrs there was a box on my porch with a 44 inside. I did get HBO for free for 3mo and plan to combine my uverse and cellphone for a little discount.

So my question is, if I go ahead and activate the 44, can I still leave the 34 connected to another input to watch recordings for a day or two before sending it back?

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]

#47 ·
So my question is, if I go ahead and activate the 44, can I still leave the 34 connected to another input to watch recordings for a day or two before sending it back?
Disconnect the HR34 from the satellite before activating the HR44, but do not turn it off. As mdram said, it may or may not work, however the results have been good. On another forum, someone hooked the HR34 to the HR44 via ethernet and accessed the recordings on the HR44.

BTW, you are going to be shocked at the difference between the two. Welcome to the 21st Century. :)

#46 ·
i would wager once you activate the 44, the 34 will deactivate

you can try it disconnected from the sat.
some people say they will allow recordings to be viewed for a week or so
some say it instantly wont let you, mileage varies

Reactions: ambesolman