Stranger Things on Netflix - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #301 of 418 Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I'll chime in on the number of episodes per season debate.

Of course the reduced episode/season model is fine for an excellent series like Breaking Bad. Stranger Things is also a series that would not work as well with 22+ episodes. (The one benefit though, would be getting more of the story telling done while the younger actors are actually kids )

I now see so called filler episodes often in many of the other low episodes/season series. I can't help but feel as we see in so many other things, we are led to accept less over time, till that feels normal/acceptable.

Another thing to consider, is that generally, old school prime-time series writers didn't have to take on serialized story telling. They'd have a two part episode here and there and the character arcs did connect to past events, but nothing like now.

Thinking of one of my favorites, The Rockford Files, the greatest burden seemed to be on James Garner, as lead actor who was in every episode to a huge degree.

I also often miss the stand alone aspect of past series. Especially as I get older and have to grapple with ever more needlessly convoluted story lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 418 Old 01-22-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
I also often miss the stand alone aspect of past series. Especially as I get older and have to grapple with ever more needlessly convoluted story lines.
Funny you mention the "convoluted story lines". That was the main reason (AFAIC) that Fringe wasn't as popular as it should of been. It was almost impossible to follow it, especially fully unless you have a far greater that average ability to memorize all the details.
I don't and lost some interest. Fully lost interest in that half baked last half season.
I wound up getting the entire series and watched it from the start. I laso looked into the tins of data that was typed up on numerous websites explaining the "mythology" of the series. Unlike that lost in the woods X-Files where any "mythology" got lost in the shuffle or just dropped, admittedly by the creator(s) from no one being able to follow it, Fringe was based on science, thou maybe far fetched and at least a bunch of the characters weren't 'killed off' just because no one could figure out what was going on.

But, most wouldn't bother doing all of that.
StormCrow likes this.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #303 of 418 Old 01-24-2018, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 2338
Stranger Things season 3 plot details have begun to trickle in ahead of a production start date this spring.

With new episodes expected to arrive on Netflix either late 2018 or early 2019, the Duffer Brothers and executive producer Shawn Levy have revealed that all the storylines have been put in place for the entire season which has been fully mapped out.
“We're there,” Levy told Glamour, confirming the episode count as “eight or nine.” The producer added: “The number of episodes will be dictated by the amount of story that excites us. We now know what is going to happen in season three to every character.”

While Levy remained tight-lipped on specifics, he did reveal that the season will “deal with forces of evil that are new” which spells semi-good news for Will Byers (Noah Schnapp).
“We're going to give Will a break,” he said, adding: “We’re not going to put Will through hell for a third season in a row. He’ll be dealing with stuff, but he won’t be at rock bottom the way we forced the amazing Noah Schnapp to play.”
Fans of the friendship between Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo) and Steve (Joe Keery) are in for a treat with scenes set to evolve their relationship to the point of brotherhood: “In season two, it was all very cute and there was a funny factor to it because it was unexpected, but now that it is expected, I want to see them connect more and be more familiar with each other,” Levy states.

“I want them to have a connection like they’ve really had a connection for a year - like they’re brothers.”
On whether Paul Reiser's Dr. Owens will return after seemingly surviving the Hawkins Lab disaster at the climax of season 2, Levy refused to say.
Stranger Things is expected to air late 2018/early 2019

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8175121.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 418 Old 01-30-2018, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 813
I just caught the first season and after all of the "hype" was rather disappointed. It started out fine however with each episode I got less and less engaged while typically it's just the opposite. During the finale I got bored and was hoping it would just end... obviously I'm not the market and I'm pretty sure if I was a preteen I'd be all in.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #305 of 418 Old 01-30-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I just caught the first season and after all of the "hype" was rather disappointed. It started out fine however with each episode I got less and less engaged while typically it's just the opposite. During the finale I got bored and was hoping it would just end... obviously I'm not the market and I'm pretty sure if I was a preteen I'd be all in.
I'm 73 and long past preteen and I'm all in, both seasons, looking forward to another...

Bobby 

post #306 of 418 Old 01-30-2018, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I'm pretty sure if I was a preteen I'd be all in.
Wow, that's not insulting at all...

I'm 45 and love the show.
post #307 of 418 Old 01-30-2018, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 7046 Post(s)
Liked: 15756
Lol. Preteen? Just a bit pompous aren't we.

post #308 of 418 Old 01-30-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Lol. Preteen? Just a bit pompous aren't we.
Maybe prepompous?

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #309 of 418 Old 01-31-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4544 Post(s)
Liked: 4104
just because a show has pre-teen actors doesn't make it a show for pre-teens...this is not a Disney Channel or WB show catered to kids...this is an adult show with child actors

OT: anyone who likes Stranger Things should watch the movie It...excellent movie...the actor who plays Mike on ST is also in the movie so there is a connection
post #310 of 418 Old 01-31-2018, 07:56 AM

Liked: 813
No reason to get all sensitive as it's just my take. The mystery (itself), story arc, and characters have very little depth and are stereotypical. Each episode only strengthens the fact which makes it become less engaging. Which is why I lost all interest by the time the finale arrived. Now they do throw in a girl (mysterious or older - your choice) to attract the preteens and I'm pretty sure they can hold their attention hence the preteen comment. Clearly it's centered around their universe.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #311 of 418 Old 01-31-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 6095 Post(s)
Liked: 6753
I have to agree with Charles. The first season was fine, in a Speilbergian way, but the second was just "meh" to me. I probably won't watch a third.
post #312 of 418 Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

the casting and chemistry of the child actors along with the perfect 80's nostalgia is what makes this show so great...totally feels like something Steven Spielberg would have released in 1989
post #313 of 418 Old 03-20-2018, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Stranger Things Stars Score Big Raises Ahead of Season 3: Report
By Dave Nemetz, TVLine.com - Mar. 19, 2018

It pays to battle the Demogorgon: The stars of Netflix’s sci-fi hit Stranger Things will be getting big pay raises for the upcoming third season, our sister site Deadline is reporting.

Young cast members Finn Wolfhard (Mike), Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven), Gaten Matarazzo (Dustin), Caleb McLaughlin (Lucas) and Noah Schnapp (Will) will see a per-episode increase from $30,000 to upwards of $250,000. (Brown will receive slightly more than her young co-stars.) Meanwhile, Winona Ryder (Joyce) and David Harbour (Sheriff Hopper) will see their per-episode fee rise to upwards of $350,000. Fellow series regulars Natalia Dyer (Nancy) and Charlie Heaton (Jonathan) will make between $100,000 and $150,000 per episode in Season 3. (Netflix hasn’t officially commented on Deadline’s report.)

One of Netflix’s buzziest breakout hits since its 2016 debut, Stranger Things scored a Season 3 renewal in December, with production on the eight-episode season due to get underway next month.

http://tvline.com/2018/03/19/strange...-cast-netflix/

post #314 of 418 Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Does anyone else think the autos in ST are too old for the mid 80's? I mean, Joyce drives a Pinto! Did any Pintos even still exist in the 80's?

Most of the cars shown were more common in the early to mid 70's, at least around where I grew up.

Heck, even Billy's Camaro is a 1981 model at the latest.
post #315 of 418 Old 03-20-2018, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post
Does anyone else think the autos in ST are too old for the mid 80's? I mean, Joyce drives a Pinto! Did any Pintos even still exist in the 80's?

Most of the cars shown were more common in the early to mid 70's, at least around where I grew up.

Actually, that's perfectly realistic.

It's a working class town where people likely keep their vehicles longer - or buy used. Back when my father was still taking college courses to hopefully move up in his career in the 70's, the family vehicles were used vehicles from the mid to late 60's. It wasn't until the mid 80's when we got our first brand new family car. It was kind of an event in our neighborhood when someone got a new car and I remember some of the neighbors came over to give it a look-over (despite the fact is was just a K-Car). Despite that, we still has our old 1975 VW Rabbit.

Don't forget, from the late 70's to around 1983, we were in a recession. It wasn't until around 1985 where the average American once again had the kind of disposable income to have a late model car. In some cases, booms in the defense and energy industries allowed many people in more rural areas to actually have the luxury of two vehicles for the first time.
JoeTiVo and Ben23 like this.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 03-20-2018 at 10:14 AM.
post #316 of 418 Old 03-20-2018, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Yeah, must be a regional thing. Around here everybody had a 4th gen Olds Cutlass Supreme or one of its twins (Monte Carlo/Gran Prix/Regal). I've seen some 2nd and 3rd gens on the show, but none of these. I noticed a late 50's Chevy Bel Aire parked in a driveway on one of the last episodes. Those were a rarity around here by the 80's.

It just struck me that they were trying a little too hard to make the point that this was an earlier time. But then, the Duffer brothers only look to be in their 30's, so maybe that's what they imagined the 80's to have been like.
post #317 of 418 Old 03-20-2018, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 6095 Post(s)
Liked: 6753
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Stranger Things Stars Score Big Raises Ahead of Season 3: Report
By Dave Nemetz, TVLine.com - Mar. 19, 2018

It pays to battle the Demogorgon: The stars of Netflix’s sci-fi hit Stranger Things will be getting big pay raises for the upcoming third season, our sister site Deadline is reporting.

Young cast members Finn Wolfhard (Mike), Millie Bobby Brown (Eleven), Gaten Matarazzo (Dustin), Caleb McLaughlin (Lucas) and Noah Schnapp (Will) will see a per-episode increase from $30,000 to upwards of $250,000. (Brown will receive slightly more than her young co-stars.) Meanwhile, Winona Ryder (Joyce) and David Harbour (Sheriff Hopper) will see their per-episode fee rise to upwards of $350,000. Fellow series regulars Natalia Dyer (Nancy) and Charlie Heaton (Jonathan) will make between $100,000 and $150,000 per episode in Season 3. (Netflix hasn’t officially commented on Deadline’s report.)
Wow! By being cast in this show, those kids hit the jackpot! They should be called the "Lucky Things" from 'Stranger Things'. Pretty sweet to be set up for life before you even graduate from high school.
post #318 of 418 Old 03-20-2018, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post

I had a Pinto until the mid 80s... That is about the time it caught fire while I was sitting in an intersection to make a left turn!
Ben23 likes this.
post #319 of 418 Old 06-01-2018, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Contains spoiler on Bob so don't watch if you haven't seen it.

post #320 of 418 Old 07-16-2018, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Stranger Things Teases Summer 2019 Premiere Date with 1985 Fake Commercial...

https://twitter.com/Stranger_Things/...57811604791296

damn summer 2019 is a huge break between seasons...
post #321 of 418 Old 07-17-2018, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Embedding the YouTube video of the teaser.

dougotte and AlexanderDelarg like this.

post #322 of 418 Old 08-21-2018, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Stranger Things’ Season 3 Is Inspired by 1985’s ‘Fletch’
By Tara Bitran, Variety.com - Aug. 18, 2018

EXCLUSIVE: When Season 3 of “Stranger Things” eventually returns, don’t expect Chief Jim Hopper to be jumping for joy at the sight of Starcourt Mall — or rushing to buy a sundae from Joe Keery’s Steve Harrington, for that matter. “I don’t know if Hopper would be caught dead at Scoops Ahoy,” David Harbour joked ahead of a spooky “Stranger Things” screening at Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles on Friday night.

Harbour characterized the curmudgeonly cop with a heart of gold’s outlook towards the town’s new development as a little more than complicated. “Clearly, he’s a dude who’s stuck in the late ’70s and he’s an old school guy, so I don’t think he likes to see the world change. But there are certain things you need to get in Hawkins that you can’t get at Melvald’s General Store.”

While Harbour notes that executive producer Shawn Levy has described the upcoming season as darker, scarier, bigger, and broader — perhaps due to Hopper’s doom and gloom amidst the mall’s arrival — the two-time Emmy nominee exclusively told Variety that Chevy Chase’s 1985 comedy “Fletch” will serve as a source of inspiration for Season 3.

“The Duffers are so specific each year with the movies. And ‘Fletch’ is one movie we get to play around and have some fun with this season, which you wouldn’t expect from ‘Stranger Things’ and you wouldn’t expect from the Spielberg universe and you certainly wouldn’t expect from a darker season.'”

In the cult flick, Chase plays a go-getter newspaper reporter who changes his identity at the drop of a hat in order to snag the juiciest story. And along with new imports Cary Elwes as the self-serving Mayor Kline and Maya Hawke as Harrington’s fellow ice cream scooper, a character likely to channel Chase’s signature wiles is Jake Busey’s Bruce, a “journalist for The Hawkins Post, with questionable morals and a sick sense of humor.”

But Season 3 will not be all fun and games for the folks of Hawkins, especially as Hopper takes on the role of legitimate adoptive father to Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown). “Their relationship is going to get far more complex, because, you know, things happen to girls and boys when they’re 13 and 14,” he said. “A lot of changes go on in the body and in your social life, and I don’t think he’s going to handle watching her become a woman in front of his eyes very well. That’s a horrifying thing for him — maybe even more so than fighting inter-dimensional monsters.”

Harbour did suggest a “summer of love” is on the horizon when “Stranger Things” returns prospectively in summer 2019. “I think it’d be interesting to see if Hopper has it in him to be vulnerable with a woman and to actually be able to show up in that capacity, like what kind of a man he would be in a relationship if that comes to fruition.”

And while there are indeed other adults looking for love in Hawkins, Harbour wouldn’t rule out a potential romance with longtime friend and kindred spirit Joyce Byers (Winona Ryder) — especially with Bob (Sean Astin) out of the picture (R.I.P.).

“There may be other people in the mix in this situation, but I think they’re built for each other and I would love to see them get together,” Harbour confessed. “From the very beginning, I thought that these are two tortured, messed up, beautiful people who are like puzzle pieces that can’t stand each other but actually need each other.”

As Harbour also teased that Season 3 feels like “so much of a departure and so much of a risk” from previous seasons of the sci-fi series, viewers should expect secrets that have been kept well-hidden to emerge. But some secrets Harbour specifically wants to uncover are the mysteries hidden within the boxes marked “Dad,” “New York,” and “Vietnam” in Hopper’s basement.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/str...ur-1202909531/

post #323 of 418 Old 08-21-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
"...told Variety that Chevy Chase’s 1985 comedy “Fletch” will serve as a source of inspiration for Season 3."
Ummm...what? It seems like a weird reference, but I trust them.

Quote:
"...when “Stranger Things” returns prospectively in summer 2019..."

For some reason, I thought it was returning in October 2019. Oh, well.

Thanks for sharing the info.
post #324 of 418 Old 12-09-2018, 07:31 PM

You cheeky monkey, Netflix. Teasing us with your teasers.

AlexanderDelarg likes this.

post #325 of 418 Old 12-09-2018, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

trailer wasn't all that great but I give them credit for creativity-- releasing the titles of all the Season 3 episodes so that hard core fans can try and decipher what it means
post #326 of 418 Old 12-31-2018, 09:48 PM

1985 will never be the same.

post #327 of 418 Old 03-20-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
post #328 of 418 Old 03-20-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Love the soundtrack.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #329 of 418 Old 03-20-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
fantastic trailer...the actors are definitely getting older...looks like they gave S3 a bigger budget as the CGI effects look much better...looking forward to July 4th...
post #330 of 418 Old 03-20-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
That's one of the best promo's I've seen in a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page