Marvel's 'Legion' on FX - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes

post #301 of 331 Old 06-19-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post
Although I agree that this season was a miss, you are forgetting Iron Fist and ton of other forgettable to awful MU stuff. Iron Fist is unwatchable bad as were the 3 or 4 xmen knockoffs on the various networks over the last couple of years + of course Inhumans.
I didn't forget Iron Fist. Though it had its problems, I personally don't put it in the same "unwatchable" category as Inhumans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
The Gifted anyone?
Yup. That was bad. I did forget that was part of the Marvel Universe. And it was unwatchable in the sense I did stop watching for a while, but then decided to finish the season at a time I didn't have much else on my DVR.

My biggest problem with season 2 of Legion was the level of disappointment compared to the first season. I was mainly venting my frustrations in saying it was the second worst Marvel TV season after Inhumans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
As much as I disliked the season, the finale wasn't that terrible.

Problem is, they needed a miracle, wrap up all loose ends, some sort of super fantastic finale to make the season even semi-worthwhile, and of course that didn't happen. I guess I'm saying that based on how this season went, the finale could have been even worse.

If being fair, the intro battle stuff was sort of interesting. I could have done without David/Farouk mouthing the words to the song though (seemed kind of silly to me). But I wouldn't call the finale boring.

Kind of stupid, maybe. And as with the entire season, somewhat pretentious. And the reasoning behind David's trial was idiotic... and characters did the 'behave out of character to suit the story' thing... okay, maybe the finale wasn't so good, but again I wouldn't say boring.
The finale just seemed rather anticlimactic to me (especially compared with the season one finale). After the lackluster, budget-saving animated battle scene between Farouk and David, which had no apparent consequence anyway with Farouk surviving and remaining free, the rest of the episode was epilogue-ish, just setting up for next season. There just wasn't enough payoff after everything we endured over the course of the season.
lax01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 331 Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
There just wasn't enough payoff after everything we endured over the course of the season.

Agreed. But it was also impossible for there to be enough payoff really.

You did hit upon some things that crossed my mind too. The ending was anticlimatic, not because I expected a big battle but because the show telegraphed where it was going from the start. We could tell that David was going to be made the 'bad guy'... it was just a matter of how. And unfortunately the 'how' was pretty stupid.

And lack of consequence is a pet peeve of mine with shows. It's sort of the hallmark of bad television. Now realistically, the David-Farouk battle would end with one man standing. And if a rock to the head didn't do it (still not sure why Farouk's skull wasn't crushed in), David logically would have finished the job after his trial... especially if Farouk was just a projection and locked away downstairs with an anti-power helmet on.

But they can't do that, because they need both characters for next season.So the viewer watches with no idea what the consequences are, or what is at stake. And it's not just David-Farouk, we can say the same about every character in the show. For instance, Ptonomy and that upload to computer thing... is he dead, or dead-ish? Or David's sister? Will every major character be sentenced to fake death? And with no consequences and nothing at stake, there is really very little for the audience to latch onto or care about.
post #303 of 331 Old 02-04-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked: 3745
Legion cancelled

The FX comic book drama’s upcoming third season will also be its final season, the network announced on Monday...Noah Hawley had always considered Legion to be a three-season show,” FX CEO John Landgraf told reporters at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, “and he has confirmed that he’s going to stick with his plan...this will be the final season.” Landgraf added that Season 3 of Legion will debut in June...

https://tvline.com/2019/02/04/legion...ding-season-3/

always intended as a 3 season show?...yeah I'm sure ratings had nothing to do with it ...I enjoyed the first season but still have S2 on my DVR...I keep hearing that it wasn't all that great so I'm putting off watching it...I'll probably do it before (or after) the 3rd season
Sharp1080 and daryl zero like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 331 Old 02-04-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked: 914
I mean it's stylish to look at in parts.

But it seems like there's no progress from the end of S1.
post #305 of 331 Old 02-04-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
...I enjoyed the first season but still have S2 on my DVR...I keep hearing that it wasn't all that great so I'm putting off watching it...I'll probably do it before (or after) the 3rd season
I might suggest you wait until you have a good feel for the reactions to the third season. If generally positive, then it may be worth slogging through season 2 if season 3 quality warrants the commitment.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #306 of 331 Old 02-04-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Legion Casts Game of Thrones Veteran to Play Professor X

FX’s Legion has cast Game of Thrones veteran Harry Lloyd to play X-Men leader Professor X in the upcoming third and final season, the network has confirmed...Lloyd played Daenerys’ ill-fated brother Viserys Targaryen in the first season of HBO’s Game of Thrones...Professor X will make his Legion debut in Season 3’s third episode...

https://tvline.com/2019/02/04/legion...d-season-3-fx/
post #307 of 331 Old 02-04-2019, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 1654
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Legion Casts Game of Thrones Veteran to Play Professor X

FX’s Legion has cast Game of Thrones veteran Harry Lloyd to play X-Men leader Professor X in the upcoming third and final season, the network has confirmed...Lloyd played Daenerys’ ill-fated brother Viserys Targaryen in the first season of HBO’s Game of Thrones...Professor X will make his Legion debut in Season 3’s third episode...

https://tvline.com/2019/02/04/legion...d-season-3-fx/
Maybe Magneato will be in it too. (nsfw)

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #308 of 331 Old 05-06-2019, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15452
June 24th.

archiguy, allargon and Zookster like this.

post #309 of 331 Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
The season ranks as the second worst season of a Marvel TV show after Inhumans. It's bad in a very different way but still bad. I can't imagine a more boring season finale.
Naw. I know I'm replying a year late. But, I hadn't finished the second season when you wrote this.

Worst second seasons.

#1 ) The Gifted
#2 ) The Runaways
#3 ) Daredevil (Dunno why people keep defending this one)
#4 ) Agent Carter
#5 ) Jessica Jones
#6 ) Legion

Actually ok.
#7 ) Luke Cage
#8 ) The Punisher? (haven't finished it yet)

Surprisingly good.
#9 ) Iron Fist

Not ranked due to not watched/completed yet--Agents of Shield and Cloak and Dagger
post #310 of 331 Old 05-07-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 1816
post #311 of 331 Old 05-07-2019, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3827 Post(s)
Liked: 2877
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
Naw. I know I'm replying a year late. But, I hadn't finished the second season when you wrote this.

Worst second seasons.

#1 ) The Gifted
#2 ) The Runaways
#4 ) Agent Carter
#5 ) Jessica Jones
#6 ) Legion
I'm glad to find someone who shares my dislike of Agent Carter. That show was pretty much the worst thing in the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe, IMO.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #312 of 331 Old 05-07-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

Worst second seasons.

#1 ) The Gifted
#2 ) The Runaways
#4 ) Agent Carter
#5 ) Jessica Jones
#6 ) Legion

Actually ok.
#7 ) Luke Cage

Surprisingly good.
#9 ) Iron Fist

Not ranked due to not watched/completed yet--Agents of Shield and Cloak and Dagger
Wow, Daredevil is pretty great - not sure of your specific complaints...

Inhumans, The Gifted, Runaways and Cloak & Dagger are easily the worst Marvel TV - with Inhumans, Cloak & Dagger, Runaways, Iron Fist (S01) and Luke Cage being the worst MCU TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I'm glad to find someone who shares my dislike of Agent Carter. That show was pretty much the worst thing in the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe, IMO.
I think I might just not remember it fully - its been SO long since it aired...I think it was the potential for crossovers with the MCU film-franchises that made it have such potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
God, I'm going to need a recap of Season 2...I remember a desert and THAT's about it...or maybe Season 2 won't matter...wish FX would somehow stream this season in 4K HDR

Josh
post #313 of 331 Old 05-07-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

From that poster, looks like it's going to feature the same characters.

So another season of style over substance or any semblance of plot progression.

Good, get it out of the way and get to work on Fargo.
Zookster likes this.
post #314 of 331 Old 05-07-2019, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Wow, Daredevil is pretty great - not sure of your specific complaints...

Inhumans, The Gifted, Runaways and Cloak & Dagger are easily the worst Marvel TV - with Inhumans, Cloak & Dagger, Runaways, Iron Fist (S01) and Luke Cage being the worst MCU TV

I think I might just not remember it fully - its been SO long since it aired...I think it was the potential for crossovers with the MCU film-franchises that made it have such potential

God, I'm going to need a recap of Season 2...I remember a desert and THAT's about it...or maybe Season 2 won't matter...wish FX would somehow stream this season in 4K HDR
Yeah, Inhumans is the worst Marvel show evah. Had to force myself to get thru the first episode of Cloak n Dagger. Never went back. Too much other stuff vying for my time.

post #315 of 331 Old 05-07-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 1654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Yeah, Inhumans is the worst Marvel show evah. Had to force myself to get thru the first episode of Cloak n Dagger. Never went back. Too much other stuff vying for my time.
Inhumans by 20 lengths for worst one. Iron Fist was the next baddie (season 1). Season 2 of IF was better but starting with a low bar could make a D- seem far better. Luke Cage was ok. Cloak & Dagger was an ok first season. I can't get into the second season. Season 1 of Legion was really really good. Season 2 was a disappointment but felt like it could be better. Based on how good Season 1 is, Legion has a lot of leeway with me. The Gifted was blah but better than Iron Fist (I know, not saying much).

Peggy Carter was good or pretty ok but was on Network TV so more comparable with Marvels: Agents of SHIELD which has been okay to good.
archiguy and Zookster like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #316 of 331 Old 05-07-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Worst second seasons.

#1 ) The Gifted
#2 ) The Runaways
#4 ) Agent Carter
#5 ) Jessica Jones
#6 ) Legion

Actually ok.
#7 ) Luke Cage

Surprisingly good.
#9 ) Iron Fist

Season 2 of The Gifted and Runaways aired some time after my Legion season 2 comment, but with a year's hindsight, I wholeheartedly agree. Though I mostly enjoyed season 1 of Runaways, I couldn't get past the first 10-15 minutes of the first episode of season 2. It just suddenly became totally idiotic. I lasted 3 to 4 episodes of season 2 of The Gifted before giving up. And Jessica Jones s.2, which I finished some time after s.2 of Legion, turned out equally disappointing in comparison to the promise of the first season. I also agree about s.2 of Iron Fist being surprisingly good.

As for s.2 of Daredevil and Agent Carter, the Electra and Peggy eye-candy respectively made up for any shortcomings of those seasons, though honestly, I really don't think of either of those shows being bad in general. But similar to what Daryl Zero said, Agent Carter was decent for a network TV holiday season hiatus show.
post #317 of 331 Old 05-07-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I'm going to give Legion a pass just for being the most unique show ever. As much as people complain about season 2, I think there is an internal logic to it.
TeeJay1952 and allargon like this.

post #318 of 331 Old 05-29-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Professor X builds Cerebro in Legion final season teaser...

post #319 of 331 Old 06-25-2019, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

This show just melts my medulla oblongata. From what I hear you want to stay away form the brown acid. Not sure they got the memo. Lol.

post #320 of 331 Old 06-25-2019, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5922 Post(s)
Liked: 6511
The first episode of this final season just popped on my magic DVR last night. So I guess it's back! If ever a show needed an extensive & thorough recap before the season premiere, it's this one. My wife ordered me to try and find one on the inter webs before she agreed to watch any more.
Zookster likes this.
post #321 of 331 Old 06-25-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FX broke up their official season 1-2 recaps by subject:

This one focuses on Syd and David's relationship:

"The Hero Is the Villain":

Lenny

archiguy and iamian like this.
post #322 of 331 Old 06-25-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
If I'm reading the episode wiki correctly, there will only be 8 episodes in this final season.

I might be willing to tune back in for that. If it were 10-13 episodes, I'd have to think long and hard about making that type of commitment to this show once again.
Zookster likes this.
post #323 of 331 Old 06-25-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
One things for sure. This final season the show is going out with a bang. Loved the opener.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #324 of 331 Old 06-25-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's BAAAAACK! I think I almost understood everything going on in that first episode. In fact, it made so much sense, it probably means I missed something. lol
Garrett Adams and Josh Z like this.
post #325 of 331 Old 06-25-2019, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So maybe I need to see some recaps of how last season ended?

Why is everyone in cahoots to try to kill David? It's Syd who keeps shooting him.

Didn't David and Farouk had that confrontation at the end of season 2, that music video?

Now, everyone seems to be on that plane to try to locate and kill him and Farouk is right there with them. He tried to capture the new girl, whatever her name is.

Season 2 had very little story movement. I think honestly Hawley just wants surfaces for these trippy visuals, not as much to tell a story. I don't know if he comes up with these idiosyncratic visual style or there's someone else doing it and he rubber-stamps all of it.
post #326 of 331 Old 06-26-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only things I didn't catch from the recaps I posted above was that Farouk was alive and well living in his own body and what had happened to Ptolemy.

Does anyone understand what the deal was with Switch's tooth, which was left behind in the final scene? Was it supposed to be some kind of anchor or reference point for her when travelling through time? She started playing with it during the mini-tutorial on selecting which point in time to travel back to, at the point where the audio recording talked about leaving yourself some margin for error.
post #327 of 331 Old 06-27-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 295
And the final season is off to a banging start! Seems like this episode would be appreciated by everyone, even those not totally on board with S2. Some may say it's pretentious just for the sake of it but when all's said and done, this series will be remembered as the most uniquely creative show ever.

Spoiler!
Keenan and TeeJay1952 like this.

post #328 of 331 Old 07-11-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Sometimes this show makes me think of the old Wendys commercial and I want to shout where’s the beef? Too much bun to get to the meat. I will say David’s real mom was a looker. I can see why Charles wanted to hook up. Hopefully she didn’t look at him and say where’s the beef? Lol
Garrett Adams likes this.

post #329 of 331 Old 07-11-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Sometimes this show makes me think of the old Wendys commercial and I want to shout where’s the beef? Too much bun to get to the meat. I will say David’s real mom was a looker. I can see why Charles wanted to hook up. Hopefully she didn’t look at him and say where’s the beef? Lol
Danish actress Stephanie Corneliussen, who also played Joanna Wellick in Mr. Robot
Zookster likes this.
post #330 of 331 Old 07-11-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was a little confused by the World War II-era setting for the timing of his parents meeting, in spite of the show's mainly 70s decor throughout the rest of the show. For some reason, I still think of it as taking place in the modern era due to some of the more modern-looking aspects, like when the agents are wearing tactical gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
marvel , mcu , mutants , professor xavier , x-men

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page