Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X CBS, Sept 21st 2016 - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #181 of 218 Old 12-09-2016, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I think it's been a good season too, mainly because a lot of people are actually playing the game at a high level and being strategic. Up until a few episodes ago you could have easily made the case for 4-5 different people as being potential winners. Adam could win with his resume, David could win. If Jay keeps winning immunity he could win since he has a lot of friends on the jury.

But there's a difference between playing the best game and being able to get the most votes from the jury. Who has pissed off the least amount of jury members? Who is most deserving? Answer might not be the same to both questions.

Have to think about what criteria some jury members will use to place their vote (i.e. they got voted out by someone but they respect the game/move and end up voting for that person to win vs. being angry and voting for someone else).

I think if Adam makes it to final tribal he'll win if he tells his emotional story. Dave could also tell an emotional story but it won't be quite as impactful. Look how powerful emotion was at final tribal for Jeremy in the previous season. That speech won him the game.
shivaji likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 218 Old 12-09-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Gotta look at Dave and how he's changed since the beginning. At the start, he couldn't grab his a55 w/ both hands and now he's competitive in the challenges.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #183 of 218 Old 12-10-2016, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Unlike last seasons winner, I really feel they will give the win to the person who played the best game. The people go out with class and respect for the other players.
shivaji likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 218 Old 12-10-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3000 Post(s)
Liked: 3915
While I won't disagree that this season is essentially a Love Fest, I still don't see any really superb play going on .. nothing to the level of Parvati Shallow, Rob Mariano or Kim Spradlin ..

As well, I want someone I can dislike, I don't want a total Love Fest .. bring on Jerri Manthey, even Phillip Sheppard

I like it when a contestant stirs up things enough that I want to throw a shoe at the TV ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #185 of 218 Old 12-13-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
As well, I want someone I can dislike, .....
I like it when a contestant stirs up things enough that I want to throw a shoe at the TV ..
Yes, while I think there are a couple of very good/deserving players left , there really has been no Villain this season, at least none that lasted long enough to realize they are a true villain ... ..
post #186 of 218 Old 12-14-2016, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked: 2437
Finale tonight!!!

post #187 of 218 Old 12-14-2016, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 848
David's fake idol trap was hilarious! A Survivor Hall of Fame move for sure.

Ken and Hannah had no chance against Adam or David.

Figgy was one who looks better without the heavy makeup. Adam also looked better on the island than at the finale. I'm glad he was able to see his mom before she passed. Ken looked genuinely bummed that he didn't win.

Last edited by hooked01; 12-14-2016 at 11:44 PM.
post #188 of 218 Old 12-14-2016, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I guess the consolation prize is gone forever. Haven't seen for the last several seasons now. Maybe cuz it was unanimous?

I guess Hannah didn't realize that she was the goat.

So was Figgy the mother of Taylor's child?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #189 of 218 Old 12-15-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I guess the consolation prize is gone forever. Haven't seen for the last several seasons now. Maybe cuz it was unanimous?

I guess Hannah didn't realize that she was the goat.

So was Figgy the mother of Taylor's child?
Hannah was a goat because she was not someone who would get a lot of votes, but she wasn't someone who was hated or crazy. And she was playing the game and not just riding coat tails.

Figgy is not the mother. Taylor must have had the baby on the way before he left to shoot this season and then he's trying to hook up with Figgy. Classy guy.
post #190 of 218 Old 12-15-2016, 07:55 AM

AWESOME finale.

The fake idol, how he played it and was soooo cocky was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Plus, there actually WAS a real one out there, priceless! Well done Dave.

Jay's vote was ultra odd. He only kept telling people to vote for Bret and getting everyone on board and then he votes for Ken. Odd.

I don't think Adam deserved to win based on his play, but did based on his family issues.

Did you see the side of Dave's face at Tribal, wow, the whole side was swollen up. Will have to check out Ponderosa to see if they address what happened to him.

Excellent finale episode, excellent season.

post #191 of 218 Old 12-15-2016, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Next season we get Sandra again, I never did like her, yet she won twice. She is going to have a massive target on her back this time, along with Ozzy the challenge beast.
cardoski likes this.

post #192 of 218 Old 12-15-2016, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Taylor must have had the baby on the way before he left to shoot this season and then he's trying to hook up with Figgy. Classy guy.
Nah bro, you just don't understand Millennials! We're all about living in the moment!

Pretty decent finale. I honestly thought Ken had a good shot, but I guess I was the only one! I was surprised Adam got every vote.
I thought Figgy looked pretty good with the makeup (actually took me a while to figure out who it was) - had to laugh when she sort of got called out on the "No offense... I'm a strong independent woman" line. Not happy about the upcoming season with more recycled players.
post #193 of 218 Old 12-15-2016, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
Nah bro, you just don't understand Millennials! We're all about living in the moment!

Pretty decent finale. I honestly thought Ken had a good shot, but I guess I was the only one! I was surprised Adam got every vote.
I thought Figgy looked pretty good with the makeup (actually took me a while to figure out who it was) - had to laugh when she sort of got called out on the "No offense... I'm a strong independent woman" line. Not happy about the upcoming season with more recycled players.
Ken played a good game. He won immunities and stayed loyal until the end. I think his zen master, holier than thou attitude rubbed people the wrong way. He did not have any friends on the jury. Even David didn't vote for him. I think Adam played the best game because he wasn't sitting comfortably in a strong alliance the whole time. He had to scramble to get to the end. I laughed when he played his idol and it still didn't count. The number of inconsequential idols played this season must be a record.

Figgy is extremely attractive, but her makeup looked spackled on. And Jeff calling her out on her complaint about wishing to play on her own was awesome.
post #194 of 218 Old 12-15-2016, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Jeff needed to ask if David was in the final 3 who would have voted for him. I would have loved to see who would take it between him and Adam.
JoeNc and cardoski like this.

post #195 of 218 Old 12-15-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I think Adam's mom revelation at final counsel probably swayed a few votes.
I was also very surprised at the shut-out, & that he even won ...
My take..
Hannah could have possibly actually won, or gotten close, if she gave better speeches at the final tribal ...
If she was more confidant in pointing out examples such as " while David & Adam were going at it, It was MY decision alone who to send packing", how she aligned, voted ... , & she could have done a way better job telling the jury that Adam's constant final tribal rants about her voting off the wrong person/people a few tribals ago were moot, since her decisions were as "spot on" as the game allows, & actually got both her ( and him), to the final, vs "who knows" if she went his way ..
She could have impressed the jury.
Instead, she kept getting very defensive at everything Adam said, & didn't get her points across well or at all ...
I thing Dave should have won, but oddly, due to the dislike of some jury members, it's quite possible if he were sitting there the votes would have been close, or he may even have lost, rather than a Dave shutout ....
shivaji likes this.

Last edited by MeatChicken; 12-15-2016 at 02:51 PM.
post #196 of 218 Old 12-15-2016, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmeister View Post
I think if Adam makes it to final tribal he'll win if he tells his emotional story.
Definitely got a few votes because of the speech and his unfortunate situation. But he also deserved some credit for somehow finding a way to get to final 3 with 2 others who probably weren't going to win. Ken was never winning because he never really made any moves. His only (and correct) move was not bringing Dave to the finals but even then that clashed with his trust/honor story. Hannah was never winning because she only made two moves and those moves were viewed as strategically wrong by the other players.

Dave's fake idol was amazing. Even more amazing was the fact that Jay was so convinced it was real. All-time move on the show for sure.

Next season: with a few past champions playing, I'm wondering why don't they just do a Champions Edition, with *only* past winners playing. That way everyone has the same target on their back. They've played plenty of seasons to have enough contestants, and everyone would play their ass off.
shivaji likes this.
post #197 of 218 Old 12-15-2016, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmeister View Post
I think if Adam makes it to final tribal he'll win if he tells his emotional story.
You nailed it.

I don't particularly like players using "sob stories" in Survivor. But, I don't vote and they do.

It was a good season, and any of the final three were OK, IMO.
post #198 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 68
You could just tell at that time that Ken's decision was either for Dave or Adam to win. I did not expect it to be unanimous but I didn't think it would be close either.

Hannah had a decent case and she attempted to make it, but she came across a little defensive/hostile/heavy-handed. She should have really sold that she was the female-Dave, so neurotic, out of her element, etc. There is also an art to selling the jury, be more subtle and try to connect to the jury instead just repeating "I did X move". The trick is to lay it out in a way to make them think THEY are being bright and making the decision to give you the vote.

Not that she would have beaten Adam. That was over as soon as Ken chose him. And Ken didn't have a shot either way, but his whole loyalty angle was shot with that.

I am disappointed to see Adam win, but he certainly played a hard game and had the emotional wallop to go with it.

Agree that Probst missed the boat by not asking the jury who they would have voted for if both Adam and Dave were choices.

Looking forward to next season and I generally enjoy the seasons that bring back returnees. There will be some always be some odd choices, like Caleb. Getting helicoptered out ok, but he wasn't doing particularly much before that. He didn't earn that right IMO.

They are getting long in the tooth but it would be awesome to see Boston Rob or Russell Hantz. All of their seasons are in my Top 10, most in my Top 5.
post #199 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think if Ken really thought it was between Adam and David and that he had no chance to win himself he would have taken David to the end.
post #200 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 08:57 AM

I believe Ken played the best game in the traditional sense .. the choice of Adam or Dave was really a 50/50 as to Ken's chances .. Ken's problem is his inability to talk the game ..his stoic, Monk like disposition hurts any social game .. which makes him thin on Outwit .. on Outlast and Outplay, he wins, IMO .. I rooted for Ken all along the way, however, I knew it would be a long shot .. still, I thought he'd at least get a few votes ..

I found this season mediocre .. no real fireworks

With a full vote on Adam, there is no second place, so I don't know how the second place prize would work .. each player always gets a per day fixed amount of money based on the days they last, then the second place winner gets a bonus .. with no second place, there is no third place either .. maybe Hannah and Ken can draw rocks ..

Whether or not Adam's backstory swayed any Jury members, he did keep it to himself other than talking to Jay, which is either a credit to Adam or a strategy move to save it till Tribal .. who knows .. it's a Million Dollars, you use what you can

Lastly, it seemed to me the real Final Immunity Idol looked amazingly like the fake idol Dave made .. I'm had a couple margaritas by that point, so who knows ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #201 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbabrams View Post
I think if Ken really thought it was between Adam and David and that he had no chance to win himself he would have taken David to the end.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply Ken thought that. I am sure he thought he could beat either with a better chance to beat Adam.

I was saying that is what I knew the decision meant and would lead to an underwhelming final tribal (although it turned out to be not that bad).
post #202 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 09:13 AM

I'm fairly certain Ken saw the writing on the wall at Final Tribal .. he looked frustrated ..

Uncle Willie

post #203 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe Ken played the best game in the traditional sense .. the choice of Adam or Dave was really a 50/50 as to Ken's chances .. Ken's problem is his inability to talk the game ..his stoic, Monk like disposition hurts any social game .. which makes him thin on Outwit .. on Outlast and Outplay, he wins, IMO .. I rooted for Ken all along the way, however, I knew it would be a long shot .. still, I thought he'd at least get a few votes ..

I found this season mediocre .. no real fireworks

With a full vote on Adam, there is no second place, so I don't know how the second place prize would work .. each player always gets a per day fixed amount of money based on the days they last, then the second place winner gets a bonus .. with no second place, there is no third place either .. maybe Hannah and Ken can draw rocks ..

Whether or not Adam's backstory swayed any Jury members, he did keep it to himself other than talking to Jay, which is either a credit to Adam or a strategy move to save it till Tribal .. who knows .. it's a Million Dollars, you use what you can

Lastly, it seemed to me the real Final Immunity Idol looked amazingly like the fake idol Dave made .. I'm had a couple margaritas by that point, so who knows ..

Ken lost all credibility from the others when he threw Will and himself under the bus trying to prove that Will was loyal, just one of the most boneheaded Survivor moves ever.

Then his dumped his whole loyalty oath when voting out Dave which made it ring hollow. I liked Ken well enough even with those bungles but he was a longshot.

Yeah, I wonder if they split the 2nd and 3rd place earnings. It's happened before like when Jeremy swept a 9-0 vote. If I were Hannah, I would have made a pitch that I should be sitting in the 2nd place seat for the reunion. Why did that go to Ken? Coin flip?
post #204 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I am already voting out Sandra for next season, does that mean she will go home first? My vote SHOULD count.

post #205 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post
Ken lost all credibility from the others when he threw Will and himself under the bus trying to prove that Will was loyal, just one of the most boneheaded Survivor moves ever.

Then his dumped his whole loyalty oath when voting out Dave which made it ring hollow. I liked Ken well enough even with those bungles but he was a longshot.

Yeah, I wonder if they split the 2nd and 3rd place earnings. It's happened before like when Jeremy swept a 9-0 vote. If I were Hannah, I would have made a pitch that I should be sitting in the 2nd place seat for the reunion. Why did that go to Ken? Coin flip?
Like I said, his social game was lacking, not much in the way of Outwit .. I think most folks understand why Ken voted out Dave, including Dave .. the final Three sat in the same order at the Reunion as they did at Final Tribal ..
shivaji likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #206 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 10:52 AM

Ozzy is back. Nuff said. Sign me up! That dude was awesome to watch in those challenges!

post #207 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
the final Three sat in the same order at the Reunion as they did at Final Tribal ..

Right, but intentionally? Maybe, maybe not. Adam sat in the most right seat because he won. Likewise, if Hannah had garnered a vote, she would have sat in the 2nd position regardless of where she was at the Final Tribal. It's possible they may have used that to determine seating for lack of a better way to break the tie, we'll never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Ozzy is back. Nuff said. Sign me up! That dude was awesome to watch in those challenges!

Agree. Hope he still has it! If only, they could have brought Joe back too. It would have made for some epic challenges!

Last edited by djb5f; 12-16-2016 at 11:46 AM.
post #208 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I usually hate when they bring back players...especially when they sprinkle one or two into random seasons. But...having all returning players should be interesting.

A few questionable choices, but some really good ones.
Fan favs like Ozzy are fun and then people like Brad Culpepper to make things interesting.

Im looking forward to it already!!

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #209 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
I usually hate when they bring back players...especially when they sprinkle one or two into random seasons. But...having all returning players should be interesting.

A few questionable choices, but some really good ones.
Fan favs like Ozzy are fun and then people like Brad Culpepper to make things interesting.

Im looking forward to it already!!
Me too. If Ciera is voted out 1st (without her mother to vote out she won't know what to do anyway ) and Ozzy, Malcolm and Michaela are the final 3, it will be the best season ever!

I don't think it is a spoiler, but here is cast and tribes from Inside Survivor:

I also hope Malcolm has a steady hand now

Last edited by 31dag; 12-16-2016 at 02:12 PM.
post #210 of 218 Old 12-16-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting that he wasn't announced on the live finale show.

Spoiler!

I hope they vote out Sandra first. She won twice. Enough already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page