"The Grand Tour with Clarkson, Hammond and May" on Amazon Prime - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 228Likes

post #61 of 370 Old 11-27-2016, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtc4 View Post
I believe I read somewhere on here that is was not streaming in HDR when the first episode was released. Apparently it didn't start in HDR until a few hours afterwards. I would try it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I watched about 8pm cst on Thursday night and did not get the HDR is on pop-up.

When I watched ep2 earlier tonight, I did get the HDR is on pop-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 370 Old 11-27-2016, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Watching the premier episode. They forgot the big ass elephant for the group shot...

Holy hell that blue stang is... Hideous.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #63 of 370 Old 11-27-2016, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 508
I think after the first two episodes I'm happy with the show concept. They need to move on from the Celebrity Deaths, that's the British humor I guess, how many times can we do the same joke routine. One thing I like better here than Top Gear is their new test track. There's scenery! Green grass and trees, better than the old one, doesn't it look better? Of course the filming quality is better which helps too. I think they need a different test driver though. Is he trying to be funny? I haven't laughed yet, maybe it's funny overseas. So I think at least so far, The Stig was better. Silent and enigmatic.

Conversation Street. Seems like this is just The News from Top Gear but with a bad title, the content is fine. The opening segments offer info on their locations which I think works pretty well for the traveling concept.

A new location every week is also a good concept. It keeps the show fresh and I think will be one GT's unique aspects. Other pros over Top Gear and I think we can all agree: The Lap Board. This looks way better than writing the times down and trying to read the old times. It looks a little like a video game and while I mention that the title looks a little familiar too. Can you say Gran Tourismo? When I first saw the graphic to the show, I thought it was a new GT release. But I like the title and I think will become a brand name just as familiar as Top Gear.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 370 Old 11-27-2016, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

VULCAN

#micdrop

Edit: at 0:50

Last edited by Vipfreak; 11-27-2016 at 11:15 PM.
post #65 of 370 Old 11-27-2016, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 2326
I am loving this. Looks incredibly good in 4K HDR.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
post #66 of 370 Old 11-28-2016, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I thought the second episode was ok, but the first one was better. Not really crazy about Mike Skinner. The track is cool, and he's a great driver, but his comments are kind of stupid. Hopefully they will work on that a bit (maybe someone can write some script for him). Although not the same old top gear, it's still the best motoring show out there.

Denon AVR-3803 - RTi-70 Fronts - FXi-30 Surrounds - RTi-38 Back Surrounds - Csi-40 Center - PSW350 Sub - Samsung un60JS8000 SUHD
post #67 of 370 Old 11-28-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^guess you've never heard of Roadkill?

post #68 of 370 Old 11-28-2016, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4480 Post(s)
Liked: 5831
I am continuing to enjoy The Grand Tour, not least because it is presented in beautiful 4K HDR. I agree that the "Celebrity Dies Horribly" schtick is beyond its Sell By date. Also agree that Episode 2 gave us far to little of the automotive stuff. I thought the special forces segment was overlong and under-interesting. All of that said, though, the boys' clever writing and funny delivery make even the slower stuff worth watching.
slowbiscuit likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #69 of 370 Old 11-28-2016, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I think they need a different test driver though. Is he trying to be funny? I haven't laughed yet, maybe it's funny overseas. So I think at least so far, The Stig was better. Silent and enigmatic.

Other pros over Top Gear and I think we can all agree: The Lap Board. This looks way better than writing the times down and trying to read the old times.
One of the advantages of Stig was that his only need was to drive and he hated everything else.

Now they have Mike Skinner as a character who hates everything that isn't American how can the audience trust that he is driving foreign cars to their limits? Does that mean he will have a bias towards any American cars they may test? Will he try and make sure that any cars they test after that come in under the lap time?

How can we trust his ability?

I agree the lap board is better visually, but it lost some of the charm. When new TG started it was portrayed as a forgotten little show by the BBC buried on the channel and nobody cared about it. So the hand written board was a low-budget gag. Admittedly it became too ironic in later seasons when the show was pulling in millions and the budget went up to have them flying around the world. I still kind of miss it though.

Last edited by VisionOn; 11-28-2016 at 08:34 PM.
post #70 of 370 Old 11-29-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post
^guess you've never heard of Roadkill?
No I haven't. But a quick google, and it looks real interesting. Will have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
I agree the lap board is better visually, but it lost some of the charm. When new TG started it was portrayed as a forgotten little show by the BBC buried on the channel and nobody cared about it. So the hand written board was a low-budget gag. Admittedly it became too ironic in later seasons when the show was pulling in millions and the budget went up to have them flying around the world. I still kind of miss it though.
I thought the handwriting gave it more of a personal feel as well. Now it's just kind of a list on a computer somewhere. There was a little more "drama" when they wrote them out by hand (and I miss the Koenigseggisseggggnignigsegigisegggg).

Denon AVR-3803 - RTi-70 Fronts - FXi-30 Surrounds - RTi-38 Back Surrounds - Csi-40 Center - PSW350 Sub - Samsung un60JS8000 SUHD
post #71 of 370 Old 11-29-2016, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

“Hello everyone. Show two of the Grand Tour is very car light, and that happens again in the Barbados film later in the series. We do this on purpose to entertain the countless people who invariably say, when I sit next to them at a party, ‘I like your show but why do you put cars on it?’” – Jeremy Clarkson

Hmm.

So when is Top Gear back with LeBlanc? I think that may not be the show we deserve but it's probably the show I want.
osu1991 likes this.

post #72 of 370 Old 11-29-2016, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
“Hello everyone. Show two of the Grand Tour is very car light, and that happens again in the Barbados film later in the series. We do this on purpose to entertain the countless people who invariably say, when I sit next to them at a party, ‘I like your show but why do you put cars on it?’” – Jeremy Clarkson

Hmm.

So when is Top Gear back with LeBlanc? I think that may not be the show we deserve but it's probably the show I want.

They were filming in early to mid October, so I would guess late winter into spring unless filming is delayed by LeBlancs CBS show.
post #73 of 370 Old 11-29-2016, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
They were filming in early to mid October, so I would guess late winter into spring unless filming is delayed by LeBlancs CBS show.
I forgot about that show. Probably because it's so forgettable.

I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed this show dumps a lot of the comedy fail filler.

post #74 of 370 Old 11-29-2016, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Quote:

Hmm.

@2:09

post #75 of 370 Old 11-30-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I forgot about that show. Probably because it's so forgettable.

I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed this show dumps a lot of the comedy fail filler.
I kind of like LeBlancs new show. I think those two make a good pair (and I really liked Liza Snyder when she did Yes, Dear).

I am sort of looking forward to Top Gear without Evans. Even though The Grand Tour isn't really as great as I was hoping (but may still be), it's still leaps and bounds over the last season of the new top gear.

post #76 of 370 Old 12-01-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 1046
EVERYONE is looking forward to TG without Evans. Well, except maybe Evans' mom.

Have to agree that this ep was mostly a snooze for me given that way too much time was spent on the special forces gags. But they're funny no matter what.
post #77 of 370 Old 12-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

This weeks episode is already 100times better than last weeks
post #78 of 370 Old 12-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

episode 3 was the best so far. They should have led off with this one.
mpgxsvcd and gwsat like this.
post #79 of 370 Old 12-02-2016, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked: 1947
Quote:
episode 3 was the best so far.

Yep. Minus the stupid celebrity bit that needs to be dropped immediately, this episode was like an old TG episode. Finally. Hopefully, the rest of the season is the same.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #80 of 370 Old 12-02-2016, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow, Ep 3 is fantastic. Don't think Hammond brought enough tires for that tour though. I would love to take my Mustang on that trip, just don't have enough room for the extra tires. It's incredible how awesome Grand Tour is and how awful the last season of Top Gear was, night and day. Presenters and a talent crew make all the difference in the world. TP will have to step it up big time.

post #81 of 370 Old 12-02-2016, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How he should feel about the DB11 exterior...

post #82 of 370 Old 12-03-2016, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, third episode was definitely the most Top-Geary and all the better for it. Even the silly side bits were okay because they were short enough to not outstay their welcome. Apart from that increasingly pointless celeb gag which adds absolutely nothing to the show.

I can't help feel this show is a missed opportunity though. It's called The Grand Tour, they travel the world, they have custom set they erect in the locale so they can get an international crowd in the studio ...

then they show them segments filmed in other countries.

If they are making that much effort to visit different places then why not use the places they go to as content? Like the spinning feature from South Africa just make segments around each particular country. Tour new places, investigate the car culture, famous auto-related places, test unique vehicles, drive with some local celebs and feature local car nuts and their weird car stories. Even non-car stuff would be more interesting if they gave it a local flavor as they did this episode with all the Italy stuff.

And am I the only one just now noticing that in the Conversation Street title card that Jeremy appears to be wearing ladies stilettos? What's that about?

post #83 of 370 Old 12-03-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Top Gear Vs. Grand Tour - Which is better?

This is largely based on the entire run of Top Gear before the original host's departure

Title of Show: Top Gear | Grand Tour: Even

Top Gear name has been around a long time but Grand Tour brings a fresh start while relating directly to the new format motoring show of Grand Touring.

Theme song: √ Top Gear | Grand Tour

TG's revamped version of Jessica still has that big event feel at the opening and would be difficult to beat, Grand Tour needs something because their current theme isn't good. Maybe something from The Who?

Music: √Top Gear | Grand Tour

This is where broadcasting has its advantages. From what I understand, they can use music for broadcasting as they want. The DVD releases always removed the licensed tracks and replaced with royalty free which changed the feel of the scenes. Grand Tour would likely have to license the tracks up front so higher cost.

Test Track: √Top Gear | Grand Tour

I mainly chose the TG track because of the history, so many cars, so many stars...However, the new GT track looks much better with more contrasting background and scenery.

Lap Board: Top Gear | Grand Tour: Even

I love the new look of the digital board but as some have mentioned, the old lap board was more hands on and unique so I'll call this one a toss up, but personally, I like the GT better. However, it may get hard to see all the cars on the list on the screen unless they scroll it down or make the text smaller. There's also the absence of the Star's board for obvious reasons but that's a one up for TG as they'll continue that trend.

Test Driver: √Top Gear | Grand Tour

The Stig, what else is there to say?

Studio: Top Gear | Grand Tour: Even

I love the traveling studio idea but like the test track so much history in the old studio. The new traveling tent is a fresh look and I think over the next season or two it will prove to be the focus point of the show.

Hosts: Top Gear | √Grand Tour

A hard act to follow, but they should at least try. TG has Matt Le Blanc, which is fine but they need a trio as there was before. Time to bring in two more stars. Le Blanc was the top rated guest star according to one poll, coming in second was Rowan Atkinson and I think he would be really awesome for TG. I don't know if it's possible but BBC should scoop him up if they can. And then what the show is missing and something Grand Tour doesn't have is a female host which would round out the show.

In-Studio bits: √Top Gear | Grand Tour

Historically, TG a little better. The Star in a Reasonably Priced Car is like a trademark to TG so they had to ditch that but they respond with an empty Celebrity Death-repeating-joke routine that's agreeably awful. They either need something unique they haven't come up with yet or make room for longer filmed segments.

Car Reviews: Top Gear | √Grand Tour

There's a wealth of good filmed segments in TG but since they were done with Clarkson and company I put it with GT since the good times continue on GT and not the new TG.

Races and Films: Top Gear | √Grand Tour

Same as reviews, 22 seasons of good races and films but with the crew of GT. GT's first 3 episodes proves they're continuing the trend of a exciting motoring show.

Film Quality: Top Gear | √Grand Tour

GT: 4K streaming with HDR vs TG: 1080i60.

Final Score: Top Gear 5 | Grand Tour 4

GT still needs to work in some areas like filling the void of Star in a Reasonably Priced Car from TG, but they're off to a good start and it's early. Does anyone remember the first season of the revamped TG? They don't even air it. They were still finding their footing in the first season and it was before James May joined.

However, if TG doesn't make some changes to the host lineup and improve the writing segments, it's game over. They need a new trio.

post #84 of 370 Old 12-03-2016, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 273
You're basing this on (3) episodes of Grand Tour ?
post #85 of 370 Old 12-04-2016, 12:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
You're basing this on (3) episodes of Grand Tour ?
Pretty much.

post #86 of 370 Old 12-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Agree that Ep 3 was the best and thoroughly enjoyable. A showpiece for what 4K can do. Looks fantastic. We went to Italy a couple years back and it is great to see those great views again. I can stand right next to my screen and all is perfectly clear with incredible resolution.
post #87 of 370 Old 12-05-2016, 06:44 AM

I agree, that was a very good episode. Much more like the old days. I think they are starting to find their way. They may have been trying a little to hard for the first episode. Eventually they will probably relax a bit and get back to being the 3 duffuses that they used to to be.

post #88 of 370 Old 12-05-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Though I suspect they will stick with the studio elements being shot the week before, or two weeks before transmission, to allow for a 'news' type segment - so whilst the location filming may have been a month or so ago, the 'close to transmission' stuff will presumably need to wait until, close to transmission?

Be interesting to see if the format changes without Chris Evans.
post #89 of 370 Old 12-05-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I thought I read that Top Gear films the studio part within days of it airing.
post #90 of 370 Old 12-06-2016, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Top Gear Vs. Grand Tour - Which is better?

This is largely based on the entire run of Top Gear before the original host's departure

Film Quality: Top Gear | √Grand Tour

GT: 4K streaming with HDR vs TG: 1080i60.
Wouldn't "Top Gear" be 1080i50 considering it's a British show?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page