Survivor: Game Changers Season 34 March 8th, 2017 CBS - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 182Likes

post #301 of 338 Old 05-23-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Tomorrow, tomorrow.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 338 Old 05-24-2017, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Brad made the million dollar fug up not taking Tai. Epic season, epic game play, the best ever. Even me sitting at home I could see Sarah played amazingly, I even said so in this thread. Also, even though it didn't happen there could have been a tie, I wonder why they didn't have an odd number of jurors.
wildgator25 and cardoski like this.

post #303 of 338 Old 05-24-2017, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watching the reunion show, I am glad they explained what would have happened with a tie, it confirmed what I said about Brad making a million dollar mistake. Sierra looked better at TC then she does on the reunion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 2190
Soooo glad that bully Brad did not win. His comments to Tai and the way he talked to him were disgusting. Glad Tai didn't go along with him.
curtlots and StormCrow like this.

post #305 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 826
I liked the new format of the Final Tribal Council. The some of the "questions" of the jury for the past few seasons have been really idiotic. The jury members were just using their chance to try and be outrageous instead of asking relevant questions. Poor Troyzan. Even he knew he was not getting any votes. He probably knew before even going into FTC.

I'm glad Sara won and that Culpepper lost. What was with Culpepper's high school civics teacher short sleeve shirt and tie and cheesy mustache? I was actually starting to change my mind about him but when he started intimidating Tai with the "Use one idol now and give me the other one", it showed who he really was. And then he admitted that he was going to screw Tai by using the second idol on himself. That was the ultimate thug move. And then he threatened Tai again the next day. He didn't need a Snickers. That was his true nature. He managed to suppress it for most of this season, but once he started winning the immunity challenges and feeling that he could beat the remaining players, he didn't have to hide it anymore.

That first TC was crazy. 3 idols played, 5 people safe from eviction and the person going out received no votes. Wow. Tai should have kept his second idol to ensure his safety for the next vote and then take his chances at four. I love Tai but he really isn't a good player.
post #306 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post

That first TC was crazy. 3 idols played, 5 people safe from eviction and the person going out received no votes. Wow. Tai should have kept his second idol to ensure his safety for the next vote and then take his chances at four. I love Tai but he really isn't a good player.
What are the odds this was entirely scripted...
31dag likes this.
post #307 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there some survivor trick to keep nails short. Brad and even Sarah's nails looked short for 39 days. They also didn't look like the bit them. Brads nails were REALLY short, it just made me wonder if they give them clippers, or they bring them.

post #308 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
Is there some survivor trick to keep nails short. Brad and even Sarah's nails looked short for 39 days. They also didn't look like the bit them. Brads nails were REALLY short, it just made me wonder if they give them clippers, or they bring them.
I suspect they have nail clippers one way or the other because doing a lot of the challenges that they do without gloves could lead to a lot of ripped fingernails.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #309 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Soooo glad that bully Brad did not win. His comments to Tai and the way he talked to him were disgusting. Glad Tai didn't go along with him.
Yeah Brad really turned me off.
post #310 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2869 Post(s)
Liked: 3693
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I suspect they have nail clippers one way or the other because doing a lot of the challenges that they do without gloves could lead to a lot of ripped fingernails.
Compared to times gone by, these days, contestants are fairly well equipped ..

Cirie went out with class and style .. fate dealt her a very weird, and likely not to be repeated, hand .. and yes, once Brad got on the challenge train, the real Man came out .. jerk/bully ..

I was never a Sara fan, but at least Brad did not get it .. Troyzan had no chance, it was clear at the Jury grilling ..

I don't think it was the best season, however, it should rank in the top 5 .. Pearl Islands and Australia Outback remain my favorites ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #311 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post
What are the odds this was entirely scripted...
The producers might have given the players ideas when they were in the private confessionals, using leading questions or scenarios to give them something to think about, but I don't think they just out and out said "Ok, you use your idol/advantage tonight."

I think once Tai played his idol and gave the other to Aubrey, everyone else who had an idol/advantage did the math that there were only 3 other people that were in jeopardy and just one vote could send them home.
post #312 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
With a final three, a tie is always possible no matter the number of jurors. An even number of jurors: half vote for one person, half for another. An odd number: one person votes for someone who ends up third, leaving an even number to split among the other two. Apologies if that was explained during the reunion, haven't watched it yet.

Wasn't rooting for Sara, but of those three glad she won. Probably played the best game, wasn't a bully, and if I was on the fence I'd rather see a cop get the money than a professional athlete. Sorry Troy, you had no chance.
wildgator25 likes this.
post #313 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

I don't understand why the question of "being scripted" comes up here about every Season .. it's a TV Reality Show .. it's edited for maximum impact, and, to my knowledge, every single Season has had a Director .. there should be no doubt there are segments that are either somewhat scripted or, at the minimum, directed and likely have multiple takes in order to get the one the Director wants .. I think viewers lose track of the fact that a Camera Crew and other support staff are constantly at the ready ..

That does not demean the Game, it's just the way it is .. the show does not magically drop down from the sky ..
31dag likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #314 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I don't understand why the question of "being scripted" comes up here about every Season .. it's a TV Reality Show .. it's edited for maximum impact, and, to my knowledge, every single Season has had a Director .. there should be no doubt there are segments that are either somewhat scripted or, at the minimum, directed and likely have multiple takes in order to get the one the Director wants .. I think viewers lose track of the fact that a Camera Crew and other support staff are constantly at the ready ..

That does not demean the Game, it's just the way it is .. the show does not magically drop down from the sky ..
I posed the question/statement about scripted based on several reasons this season alone that if you look at, would not be hard to deduce the possibility. Similar to the old Jerry Springer. Sure, they didn't tell them to fight, but when you give them the correct platform and whatever incentives....JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!

Look at one tribal prior to final 6. The whole secret talk after Sara retrieves her extra vote idol. She steals Tai's vote yet he sits on his hands and doesn't use either idol?? The game has been played for 30+ seasons and now all of a sudden Tai should believe Sara that she's not going to vote him out (which she still did to get to 3, after the director/producer entertained us into believing there was a chance she would go to fire making against Troyzan, which we were supposed to forget that neither Brad or Troyzan were voting for Sara to begin with.)

Maybe it's not scripted, but idols laying in not-so-hidden places, questionable "scenarios" that are "never happened before in the history of Survivor" all of a sudden happening, etc.? Oh yeah, Ozzy who was all about Brad and his great gameplay changed his imaginary vote to Tai last night, so that Jeff could conveniently tell us what would happen in a tie. I told my wife last night that it would not have surprised me to see Troyzan and Sara making fire... #TieforTai

So, I'm banking on seeing the tie-breaker at next year's finale. I love the show and have watched for years, but fool me once...
post #315 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I posed the question/statement about scripted based on several reasons this season alone that if you look at, would not be hard to deduce the possibility. Similar to the old Jerry Springer. Sure, they didn't tell them to fight, but when you give them the correct platform and whatever incentives....JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!

Look at one tribal prior to final 6. The whole secret talk after Sara retrieves her extra vote idol. She steals Tai's vote yet he sits on his hands and doesn't use either idol?? The game has been played for 30+ seasons and now all of a sudden Tai should believe Sara that she's not going to vote him out (which she still did to get to 3, after the director/producer entertained us into believing there was a chance she would go to fire making against Troyzan, which we were supposed to forget that neither Brad or Troyzan were voting for Sara to begin with.)

Maybe it's not scripted, but idols laying in not-so-hidden places, questionable "scenarios" that are "never happened before in the history of Survivor" all of a sudden happening, etc.? Oh yeah, Ozzy who was all about Brad and his great gameplay changed his imaginary vote to Tai last night, so that Jeff could conveniently tell us what would happen in a tie. I told my wife last night that it would not have surprised me to see Troyzan and Sara making fire... #TieforTai

So, I'm banking on seeing the tie-breaker at next year's finale. I love the show and have watched for years, but fool me once...
My post was supporting your hypothesis .. there are segments that are, certainly Directed and thus, scripted ..
wildgator25 and 31dag like this.

Uncle Willie

post #316 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 10:57 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
...... She steals Tai's vote yet he sits on his hands and doesn't use either idol?? The game has been played for 30+ seasons and now all of a sudden Tai should believe Sara . . .
The game is certainly influenced/directed/scripted to some extent. But Tai has proven to us many times before that although he is likable, he is an idiot when it comes to playing Survivor.
John dhein likes this.

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #317 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Look at one tribal prior to final 6. The whole secret talk after Sara retrieves her extra vote idol. She steals Tai's vote yet he sits on his hands and doesn't use either idol?? The game has been played for 30+ seasons and now all of a sudden Tai should believe Sara .......
I think most of what some people think is actually scripted is in reality due to mostly editing, causing in some cases for a scene to look scripted .....
Just about every tribal would be anti-climatic if we actually just see the footage where it is painfully obvious the majority all agree who is going home before tribal, which is essentially every tribal of every season with a few exceptions..
The directors edit & want us to think player "A" may have actually flipped 2 other tribemates, by not showing us the footage of those 2 tribemates alone a few mins later not agreeing to it, or that Player "B" must have been crazy not using an idol, or the decision to vote out "C" was last minute at tribal when it really wasn't if we saw footage on the cutting room floor....
Jeff Probst already admitted in an interview that the written votes are "arranged/ordered" before reading out loud, for maximum drama impact , & are not in the holder in the order that the people voted ... he also noted that there's been a couple times when there was an unexpected use or handover of an idol from 1 player to another, & it was then hard for him to reach in/under to get the votes out in the now different maximum Drama order ...

I'm surprised at the reunion show they didn't ask either Zeke, or Varner, how they now get along / relationship feel about each other ... That seemed the obvious question....

Last edited by MeatChicken; 05-25-2017 at 01:19 PM.
post #318 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
The game is certainly influenced/directed/scripted to some extent. But Tai has proven to us many times before that although he is likable, he is an idiot when it comes to playing Survivor.
Tai would have gotten 5 votes, so an idiot? That might be a little harsh.
wildgator25 likes this.

post #319 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
I don't understand why the question of "being scripted" comes up here about every Season. It's a TV Reality Show. it's edited for maximum impact, and, to my knowledge, every single Season has had a Director .. there should be no doubt there are segments that are either somewhat scripted or, at the minimum, directed and likely have multiple takes in order to get the one the Director wants .. I think viewers lose track of the fact that a Camera Crew and other support staff are constantly at the ready ..

I don't think it was a question as much as a statement of belief that isn't too far-fetched and in fact, it is most likely accurate. It is a bit much when Jeff says in detail how each of the idols/legacy advantages plays into Cirie being gone....Especially this part as the hyperbole was off the charts: "after 35 seasons...it is historic!" It is a TV show not a mega moment in time of human history...It isn't the end of WW 2 or even historic TV as in landing on the Moon or some sporting event. I think the most important fact is the producers/writers etc. to this show want a certain outcome...and in this case, it worked out how they wanted...to have all these idols and legacy advantage in play, so it seems historic and dramatic. Again, it happened, even if it wasn't meant to happen...meh...way over the top and melodramatic...so after a long winded diatribe, my point is, I believe Wildgator 25 was seeing something obviously being sold and persuaded a certain way...and it was....how do we know...again...it happened.

post #320 of 338 Old 05-25-2017, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Oh and the final three...my choices would be Michaela(for the win), Tai, Aubrey.
post #321 of 338 Old 05-26-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:

I think your a little overboard with your conspiracy theories. Sure, there can be some scripted, but you seem to be trying to find them in everything. Tai has show again and again he doesn't play his idols because he was trying to use them at the last possible option. He voted Sarah, he had no reason to believe everyone else did too or that by stealing his meant he was going out too.

Idols have been out in the open for many seasons, attached to challenges, etc.

After 17 years, of course things are going to happen that have never happened before. The show constantly changes, there are always going to be things that have never happened before.

Ozzy didn't change his vote because it was scripted, he changed it, like every single normal person does, based on who is in the top 3. He felt the other person deserved it more than Brad so changed. If it was a different person he may have felt Brad deserved it over that person or vice versa, it depends on who is there. Of course his vote may change, there are different people sitting there!

It wasn't the show trying to get you to think it was coming down to a fire with Tai, it was Tai trying to convince Sarah that votes may be coming her way so she might as well vote the tie and go to fire. Of course they were not voting for her, but as they showed, multiple times, it was Tai trying to convince Sarah that they MAY be voting for her so she in case, she should make it a fire decision.

Almost anything on this show, and others, you can say it is scripted, planned, etc. If you ignore other things shown, you are going to see it everywhere. Do they direct some things, absolutely, is it as wide spread as you seem to think? Absolutely not.

post #322 of 338 Old 05-26-2017, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think your a little overboard with your conspiracy theories.
That's just like, your opinion man.

post #323 of 338 Old 05-26-2017, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's just like, your opinion man.
It's all opinion and speculation ..

Uncle Willie

post #324 of 338 Old 05-26-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
It's all opinion and speculation ..
Unless I actually work for the network and they made me make an account on this site all those years ago so I would be here to squash any rumors that would sprout up about this season, that they obviously had planned to do 20 years ago because one day Jeff mentioned in an interview the word tribe, so he was obviously talking about this episode they had planned to do in the future.

post #325 of 338 Old 05-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Unless I actually work for the network and they made me make an account on this site all those years ago so I would be here to squash any rumors that would sprout up about this season, that they obviously had planned to do 20 years ago because one day Jeff mentioned in an interview the word tribe, so he was obviously talking about this episode they had planned to do in the future.
Yeah..... THAT must be it!

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #326 of 338 Old 05-26-2017, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't get all these scripted conspiracy theories.
I do believe it's edited for the most dramatic effect. And that's what i want in my tv entertainment so it doesn't bother me.

And for the Michaela haters. Gotta give her props for not being a bitter juror and for rewarding good game play.
Just my opinion.
post #327 of 338 Old 05-26-2017, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickjan View Post
I don't get all these scripted conspiracy theories.
I do believe it's edited for the most dramatic effect. And that's what i want in my tv entertainment so it doesn't bother me.

And for the Michaela haters. Gotta give her props for not being a bitter juror and for rewarding good game play.
Just my opinion.
It's not a theory .. every episode has a Director, that, er, Directs .. thus, by default, having scripted segments is the norm, whether it be by off the cuff Directing or suggestion or multiple takes for maximum effect .. that's not a slam on the show .. it's just the way it is ..

To be scripted does not necessarily mean working from a "script" .. (which I don't believe is done)

Uncle Willie

post #328 of 338 Old 05-26-2017, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
It's not a theory .. every episode has a Director, that, er, Directs .. thus, by default, having scripted segments is the norm, whether it be by off the cuff Directing or suggestion or multiple takes for maximum effect .. that's not a slam on the show .. it's just the way it is ..

To be scripted does not necessarily mean working from a "script" .. (which I don't believe is done)
I agree with you.
My thoughts were directed more at those that go further and think the crew is actually helping players find idols or having challenges that will benefit specific players.
Of course I could have misunderstood what others have meant.
post #329 of 338 Old 05-26-2017, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'm glad the next season has a bunch of rookies playing.

Give others a chance to play the game...
post #330 of 338 Old 05-26-2017, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The most satisfying part of the finale for me was seeing Cirie voted out and fail to make it to the end for the fourth time. I have never liked her style of play and hope she does not come back for a fifth time. Either Brad or Sarah would have been a worthy winner as I believe they played the hardest. I would have preferred to see Brad win as I like his style of play. He had to win immunity to make it to the end and that's just what he did. I also have grown tired of the level of deception involving players like Sarah. Like Debby I'd rather see a "good" guy win at least for a change of pace.
WS65711 and John dhein like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page