2017 F1 Racing in HD - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1475Likes

post #1711 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2779 Post(s)
Liked: 2687
Random thoughts about the Hungarian GP.

1. Not happy to see Max take out Danny. But, it was a racing incident in the first corners of a race, and he should not have been penalized. Bonehead move? Yes. Worthy of a penalty? No. Worthy of a punch in the mouth from the honey badger? Maybe.

2. I screamed at the TV when Bottas laid down for Ham. So much for Merc claiming "We let our drivers race". Yes, we do. Unless we don't. I watched the race with a few buds and would have bet them $1k that once Ham was passed Bottas, no way in hell he would ever relinquish that position. More on that later.

3. Having said that, what a farked up sport this is when a 3 time WC that some laud as the 2nd coming of Senna cannot pass his teammate unless he moves aside. Once he got passed, he ran away....with that pace advantage, we couldn't he have just passed him without a gift from the pitwall? See #2 above.

4. So, Ham gets passed Bottas because the Finn is told to grab his ankles, and yet, he can't really make a solid run on that other Finn who is also grabbing HIS ankles, so to speak. And really, Kimi allegedly was being held up by Sabrina with some sort of steering issue. Perhaps that was all just manufactured drama from the Scuderia.

5. Lets recap 2, 3, and 4. Ham, after being waved by his teammate and thus not having to use up his tires to do it, can't do squat with a Ferrari duo. Yup...great formula we have here where the alleged best driver in the best car can't make a pass for position.

6. Ham let Bottas by on the last corner of the last lap? GTFO! I just about needed CPR after he did that. Of course now, Lewis is being lauded as a team player and a saint. BS. I will bet dollars to donuts that Toto was on the radio (assuming it was working) laying down the law. There had to be some sort of threat from the team that it would be hell to pay if he did not give that position back. Unlike T-E-A-M, there IS an "I" in L-E-W-I-S.

7. I still get a chuckle reading about the Hulk/KMag exchange in the post race interview. Huh...huh huh....huh...he said "Suck my balls".

8. Technical analysis of the podium girl thong incident: I did miss the flash, but when they were walking out, I did think to myself that those skirts are not at all form fitting and kind of poofy, and that I bet the crowd below the podium are getting a good peek even without the timely arrival of a gust of wind. F1 wants the girls to look more classy/less trashy. Be careful what you ask for.
yankeeman likes this.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 07-31-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
There is also a major downside to what Ferrari are doing. Whilst it helps Vettel greatly to try and win the driver's title (and let's be honest here, he has no chance with trying to win it on his merits) it damages Ferrari's chances of winning the constructor's championship and that is where the money is.

BGLeduc, gprace, catonic and 1 others like this.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
post #1713 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Random thoughts about the Hungarian GP.

1. Not happy to see Max take out Danny. But, it was a racing incident in the first corners of a race, and he should not have been penalized. Bonehead move? Yes. Worthy of a penalty? No. Worthy of a punch in the mouth from the honey badger? Maybe.

2. I screamed at the TV when Bottas laid down for Ham. So much for Merc claiming "We let our drivers race". Yes, we do. Unless we don't. I watched the race with a few buds and would have bet them $1k that once Ham was passed Bottas, no way in hell he would ever relinquish that position. More on that later.

3. Having said that, what a farked up sport this is when a 3 time WC that some laud as the 2nd coming of Senna cannot pass his teammate unless he moves aside. Once he got passed, he ran away....with that pace advantage, we couldn't he have just passed him without a gift from the pitwall? See #2 above.

4. So, Ham gets passed Bottas because the Finn is told to grab his ankles, and yet, he can't really make a solid run on that other Finn who is also grabbing HIS ankles, so to speak. And really, Kimi allegedly was being held up by Sabrina with some sort of steering issue. Perhaps that was all just manufactured drama from the Scuderia.

5. Lets recap 2, 3, and 4. Ham, after being waved by his teammate and thus not having to use up his tires to do it, can't do squat with a Ferrari duo. Yup...great formula we have here where the alleged best driver in the best car can't make a pass for position.

6. Ham let Bottas by on the last corner of the last lap? GTFO! I just about needed CPR after he did that. Of course now, Lewis is being lauded as a team player and a saint. BS. I will bet dollars to donuts that Toto was on the radio (assuming it was working) laying down the law. There had to be some sort of threat from the team that it would be hell to pay if he did not give that position back. Unlike T-E-A-M, there IS an "I" in L-E-W-I-S.

7. I still get a chuckle reading about the Hulk/KMag exchange in the post race interview. Huh...huh huh....huh...he said "Suck my balls".

8. Technical analysis of the podium girl thong incident: I did miss the flash, but when they were walking out, I did think to myself that those skirts are not at all form fitting and kind of poofy, and that I bet the crowd below the podium are getting a good peek even without the timely arrival of a gust of wind. F1 wants the girls to look more classy/less trashy. Be careful what you ask for.
4. It was visible from his cockpit he had steering troubles, right after the SC, I don't remember which lap exactly. Besides, why would Ferrari go to all that trouble?

6. Exactly. I don't believe for a second that he made the call himself. They gave him 5 laps twice (iirc). At the end he was just told to let Bottas pass again.

8. I missed it too. But thanks to our helpful thread, the moment is now immortalized.
BGLeduc, yankeeman and gprace like this.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post
8. I missed it too. But thanks to our helpful thread, the moment is now immortalized.
Dont know how you guys missed it, I spotted it immediately, it was the highlight of the race!!!! As I said, I was able to watch it and put it on pause 3 times even with my wife sitting next to me, but alas, after that I had to pretend it didnt interest me that much and moved on. And again, on a big tv, it was VERY visual!!!!
BGLeduc likes this.

never take life seriously
post #1715 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

Hater's gonna Hate.
At least give him credit for his good act instead of insinuating that he was compelled to do it.

THANK YOU!!! for your selfless contribution to the audio world
Anders Torger for Brutefir
Thomas Drugeon for Rephase
John Mulcahy for room eq wizard
Denis Sbragion for DRC room correction
Juha Hartikainen for Winisd
post #1716 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
Dont know how you guys missed it, I spotted it immediately, it was the highlight of the race!!!! As I said, I was able to watch it and put it on pause 3 times even with my wife sitting next to me, but alas, after that I had to pretend it didnt interest me that much and moved on. And again, on a big tv, it was VERY visual!!!!
lets see. your wife watches F1 with you , and allowed you to watch the upskirt thrice with no negative comments?

that's a keeper

post #1717 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 6071
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
what a farked up sport this is when a 3 time WC that some laud as the 2nd coming of Senna [Lewis Hamilton]cannot pass his teammate unless he moves aside. Once he got passed, he ran away....with that pace advantage, we couldn't he have just passed him without a gift from the pitwall?
Hamilton may be my number one least favorite driver but I didn't think his inability to get around Bottas on Sunday had anything to do with a lack of talent. Recall that the Hungaroring is such a notoriously difficult place to pass, It has been called, "Monaco without the scenery."

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #1718 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked: 2333
I just checked the lap times. Ham was almost a second quicker than Kimi after he passed Bottas. Upon catching him, he matched sebrina and Kimi's pace the rest of the way.

As for Bottas, he matched Ham's pace for the most part except for a five lap interval where he was down between half a second to a second a lap.

I am shocked that BG agrees with me on the Max incident. I was half expecting a huge rant for taking his boy Ric out.
BGLeduc likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #1719 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Hamilton may be my number one least favorite driver but I didn't think his inability to get around Bottas on Sunday had anything to do with a lack of talent. Recall that the Hungaroring is such a notoriously difficult place to pass, It has been called, "Monaco without the scenery."
Odd... you seem to be quoting something I never said (it was BGLeduc)

But I will say: If that race doesn't wake Liberty up to the fact that the current formula needs changing ASAP, nothing will. Cars couldn't even get within about .5 seconds of each other. The only way to pass after the first lap is through strategy... and we have almost nothing but one stoppers, its quite ridiculous.
BGLeduc and catonic like this.
post #1720 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually, that was MY quote crapping on Ham, rather than my NM home boy Lobosrul. Credit where it is due. :-)
gwsat likes this.
post #1721 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I just checked the lap times. Ham was almost a second quicker than Kimi after he passed Bottas. Upon catching him, he matched sebrina and Kimi's pace the rest of the way.

As for Bottas, he matched Ham's pace for the most part except for a five lap interval where he was down between half a second to a second a lap.

I am shocked that BG agrees with me on the Max incident. I was half expecting a huge rant for taking his boy Ric out.
Hah...they are still my favorite driver line up, although I am guessing Danny would have liked to give him a good slap upside the head.
post #1722 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually, that was MY quote crapping on Ham, rather than my NM home boy Lobosrul. Credit where it is due. :-)
Haha I had just ninja'd you.
BGLeduc likes this.
post #1723 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

But I will say: If that race doesn't wake Liberty up to the fact that the current formula needs changing ASAP, nothing will. Cars couldn't even get within about .5 seconds of each other. The only way to pass after the first lap is through strategy... and we have almost nothing but one stoppers, its quite ridiculous.
Yup...I just took ownership. :-)
post #1724 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1201 View Post
Hater's gonna Hate.
At least give him credit for his good act instead of insinuating that he was compelled to do it.
I can't say I have seen any on track instances where Lewis acted magnanimously toward another driver under any circumstances, and that goes back to his famous dust up with Fred when they were driving for McLaren.

He has done nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt, and I don't accept for a single second that letting Bottas by was anything BUT the team pressuring him to do it.

If something like that happens again in similar circumstances, I will be willing to revise my opinion, but not until then.
post #1725 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I didn't remember where I read that "the Hungaroring is Monaco without the scenery," but I like it. Pleased to learn that it should be attributed to @BGLeduc .

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #1726 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't remember where I read that "the Hungaroring is Monaco without the scenery," but I like it. Pleased to learn that it should be attributed to @BGLeduc .
Actually the Monaco bit was not mine.....just the Ham slam. :-)
post #1727 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked: 2333
Quote:
Hah...they are still my favorite driver line up, although I am guessing Danny would have liked to give him a good slap upside the head.
Probably, but it isn't like he ran into him deliberately or squeezed him some of which I saw Sunday. The FI drivers come to mind. Rewatching the video from Ham's car, he took a poor line into the corner, was up against the curb, locked the tire and slid into Ric. Unfortunately Ric had no way of seeing him or he could have given him room as he was in the middle of the track.

What is forgotten is that the Bottas ran Max wide and off the track at the first corner. Otherwise he would have been in front of Danny boy.

Quote:
I can't say I have seen any on track instances where Lewis acted magnanimously toward another driver under any circumstances, and that goes back to his famous dust up with Fred when they were driving for McLaren.

He has done nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt, and I don't accept for a single second that letting Bottas by was anything BUT the team pressuring him to do it.

If something like that happens again in similar circumstances, I will be willing to revise my opinion, but not until then.
While I agree, I think the whole reason the team let him by Bottas was because he agreed to let him back by if he didn't pass Kimi. Not sure if they would have pulled a RB and looked the other way if he disobeyed or royally chewed his a$$. We will never know, but Bottas isn't that far behind Ham and the team could easily favor Bottas for the next race.
BGLeduc likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #1728 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

that's understandable why you cant recall anything magnanimous done by LH.

that's whats called blinding hate.

post #1729 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:

Indeed, and IMO the Big L is a great movie too.
post #1730 of 2844 Old 07-31-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
Indeed, and IMO the Big L is a great movie too.
Couldn't agree more! Almost watched my copy of The Big Lebowski last night but never got around to it. I need a Lebowski fix, soon.

post #1731 of 2844 Old 08-01-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Couldn't agree more! Almost watched my copy of The Big Lebowski last night but never got around to it. I need a Lebowski fix, soon.

The "dude abides", I'll fit it into the next 3 weeks. No F1, no football (preseason interests me for about 15 minutes) make lobosrul go crazy.
post #1732 of 2844 Old 08-01-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
The "dude abides", I'll fit it into the next 3 weeks. No F1, no football (preseason interests me for about 15 minutes) make lobosrul go crazy.
No kidding! I would rather attend a dance recital that have to watch an NFL preseason game. Thank God for Home Theaters and good movies!

post #1733 of 2844 Old 08-02-2017, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
No kidding! I would rather attend a dance recital that have to watch an NFL preseason game. Thank God for Home Theaters and good movies!
Hey, its the BASEBALL season!!!! I live and die for baseball, so this is a good few weeks to totally concentrate on it.
dave2002ti likes this.

never take life seriously
post #1734 of 2844 Old 08-02-2017, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Lets hope its rains for Spa. Spa is at its best when the track is wet or drying. Gave up on the NFL over a decade ago.

Medical researchers need to look at NFL players and Pro rugby players for CTE research and see if rugby players suffer from CTE at the same rates as NFL players

Would rather watch MLB. Can the Yankees tale the AL East, can Dodgers continue on their tear and will Nats disappoint again in the playoffs. Nats with their growing injuries to their starting pitchers may choke and not reach the playoffs.
yankeeman likes this.
post #1735 of 2844 Old 08-02-2017, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked: 2641
Ferrari 1-2 with a Mercedes smackdown! Woohoo!
post #1736 of 2844 Old 08-02-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2002ti View Post
Lets hope its rains for Spa. Spa is at its best when the track is wet or drying. Gave up on the NFL over a decade ago.

Medical researchers need to look at NFL players and Pro rugby players for CTE research and see if rugby players suffer from CTE at the same rates as NFL players
My opinion is that Rugby players won't test the same as they don't wear helmets and have repeated helmet to helmet contact. The highest positives came from the brains of the offensive and defensive linemen which correlates with repeated helmet to helmet contact. The Pro Rugby players are indeed susceptible to possible CTE but not the same amount as the NFL players. When I was still working there were three ex NFL players working with me on the fire department. I learned a lot listening to them talk. The NFL is all about business. Funny you mention baseball as one of my fire captains pitched for the KC Royals. We thought he was joking until he produced an actual baseball card with his stats.

I just want to see a good clean race at Spa wet or dry. I agree it s a handful when changing from wet to drying. It's a huge track and being in the mountains gets rain others don't experience.

Last edited by Sharp1080; 08-02-2017 at 08:03 AM.
post #1737 of 2844 Old 08-02-2017, 07:58 AM

One of the reasons I like F1, the NBA and regular season and playoff NFL games is that all three sports can show us an event from start to finish in less than three hours. I grew up on baseball and loved it. In fact, my brother and I saw the 1964 World Series between the Cardinals and the Yankees. My brother had a local brewery friend who arranged for upper deck box seats for us through his Anheuser-Busch connection. It is one of my favorite sports memories. As MLB games got longer and the strikes more frequent, though, I simply lost interest. I can't remember the last time I watched a baseball game from beginning to end. Now, let's go to Spa!

CAVEAT: As interminable as college football games have become, I confess that I still love college football and watch a lot of games. But then I am a University of Oklahoma graduate and had season tickets for more than 40 years, so there's that.

post #1738 of 2844 Old 08-02-2017, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
My opinion is that Rugby players won't test the same as they don't wear helmets and have repeated helmet to helmet contact. The highest positives came from the brains of the offensive and defensive linemen which correlates with repeated helmet to helmet contact. The Pro Rugby players are indeed susceptible to possible CTE but not the same amount as the NFL players. When I was still working there were three ex NFL players working with me on the fire department. I learned a lot listening to them talk. The NFL is all about business. Funny you mention baseball as one of my fire captains pitched for the KC Royals. We thought he was joking until he produced an actual baseball card with his stats.

I just want to see a good clean race at Spa wet or dry. I agree it s a handful when changing from wet to drying. It's a huge track and being in the mountains gets rain others don't experience.
ESPN is probably more responsible for the increase CTE than anything else. Getting on Sportscenter because you used your head to blow up that play if every NFL defensive players goal. Back in mid and late 60's when I played organized CYO football we taught never to lead with your head. Tackling some big 280+lb crazy wild Samoan when you are both just wearing shorts and shirt is fun when you weigh maybe 200lbs soaking wet.

Have you ever watched Grand Prix and scenes from when Spa was on public roads. Big difference between the circuit used from after WWII to 1978 and the one today. Nothing beats driving on a road course in the rain or drying conditions. A dry track is no fun. Pray for rain for Spa.
post #1739 of 2844 Old 08-02-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was reading a couple of news/sports sites, mostly U.S., and noticed F1 is barely mentioned, even right after a race. Has it always been like this? I'm just asking out of curiosity... french sites for example, F1 is very popular...as it probably is in Europe in general. It may seem silly, as I know you guys live for baseball, football and basketball , but again, just curious...
yankeeman likes this.
post #1740 of 2844 Old 08-02-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I was reading a couple of news/sports sites, mostly U.S., and noticed F1 is barely mentioned, even right after a race. Has it always been like this? I'm just asking out of curiosity... french sites for example, F1 is very popular...as it probably is in Europe in general. It may seem silly, as I know you guys live for baseball, football and basketball , but again, just curious...
That's a good question. F1 is damn near anonymous around here. I saw a squib in The Oklahoman a week or so ago that reported something or other about F1 and was amazed to see it. The sport is so obscure here that the listing of the day's televised automobile racing events never includes F1, only NASCAR and IndyCar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page