• 1 Post By videobruce

post #1 of 29 Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked: 1735
"The Crown" on Netflix

I'm surprised there was no thread for this yet. Is anyone else watching?

"The Crown" is up for Golden Globes this weekend for Best TV Drama, Best Actress (Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth II) and Best Supporting Actor (John Lithgow as Winston Churchill), and has been nominated for and has won various other awards.

I'm up to episode 5 and really enjoying it so far in spite of the fact that prior to this I don't think I could've cobbled together enough brain cells to give any thought to the British royal family. Now, I can honestly say if Claire Foy was indeed the Queen of England, I would become one of those obsessed royal watchers. lol

In addition to the great cast, "The Crown" has more the look and feel of an epic period film than a Masterpiece Theater British TV show. Great production qualities, not just art direction and costumes, but even sound and other technical aspects.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-06-2017, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 787
I quite enjoyed this can't wait for the next season.
thehun likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #3 of 29 Old 01-06-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I'm surprised there was no thread for this yet. Is anyone else watching?

"The Crown" is up for Golden Globes this weekend for Best TV Drama, Best Actress (Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth II) and Best Supporting Actor (John Lithgow as Winston Churchill), and has been nominated for and has won various other awards.

I'm up to episode 5 and really enjoying it so far in spite of the fact that prior to this I don't think I could've cobbled together enough brain cells to give any thought to the British royal family. Now, I can honestly say if Claire Foy was indeed the Queen of England, I would become one of those obsessed royal watchers. lol

In addition to the great cast, "The Crown" has more the look and feel of an epic period film than a Masterpiece Theater British TV show. Great production qualities, not just art direction and costumes, but even sound and other technical aspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtnJjn6ng0
I loved it, even if it was a bit slow at times. I just dig these kind of historical shows. And my god it was beautiful in 4k. I'm a bit of an Anglophile so I know much of the history going in before watching. (They did make a factual mistake with Churchill trying to delay the coronation, there is always a year+ of mourning after the preceding monarch died).

Interesting casting choice: Watch the show Victoria (2016) which is about Elizabeth II's great-great grandmother Queen Victoria. The actor playing Edward VIII in The Crown plays his great-great grand uncle in that show, King Leopold.

And they loved to keep in in the family. Not only are Phillip and Elizabeth 3rd cousins because they are both descendants of Victoria. They are 2nd cousins once removed on another side of the family tree. Phillip is now the oldest living descendant of Victoria, of 889 known living descendants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 01-06-2017, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
And they loved to keep in in the family. Not only are Phillip and Elizabeth 3rd cousins because they are both descendants of Victoria. They are 2nd cousins once removed on another side of the family tree. Phillip is now the oldest living descendant of Victoria, of 889 known living descendants.
Thanks for the insights.

I wish the show had given us a bit more about Elizabeth and Philip's courtship. Not knowing any of the history, I didn't understand how she ended up with him when no one in her family seemed to like him. At least that's the sense I got from some comments her grandmother and mother made in the opening scenes at the wedding. I had assumed these sorts of things were still arranged back then.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-06-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the insights.

I wish the show had given us a bit more about Elizabeth and Philip's courtship. Not knowing any of the history, I didn't understand how she ended up with him when no one in her family seemed to like him. At least that's the sense I got from some comments her grandmother and mother made in the opening scenes at the wedding. I had assumed these sorts of things were still arranged back then.

Since the courtship came before taking the throne they didn't dive into it much. Btw we will see Charles and Diana either the end of season 2 or season 3.

Victoria looks promising as well I'm unique among my friends I enjoy these historical sagas.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #6 of 29 Old 01-06-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 817
I binged it for the wife and overall thought it was fine. One issue I had is a lot of the attraction is history and as virtually everything they took a creative license for one reason or another. If you remove the historical aspect it becomes largely mundane.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #7 of 29 Old 01-06-2017, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I binged it for the wife and overall thought it was fine. One issue I had is a lot of the attraction is history and as virtually everything they took a creative license for one reason or another. If you remove the historical aspect it becomes largely mundane.
The general opinion is "Glossy but Empty" I agree, but it's not bad for casual viewing.
The acting is great. Just wish it had a little more drama, but I'm willing to believe there was very little in real life if that's the case.
post #8 of 29 Old 01-06-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
The general opinion is "Glossy but Empty" I agree, but it's not bad for casual viewing.
The acting is great. Just wish it had a little more drama, but I'm willing to believe there was very little in real life if that's the case.

As I stated in the Netflix thread Lithgow as Churchill was the icing on the cake. I've always admired his range from comedic to dramatic to sinister he masters them all.

post #9 of 29 Old 01-06-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
As I stated in the Netflix thread Lithgow as Churchill was the icing on the cake. I've always admired his range from comedic to dramatic to sinister he masters them all.
Lithgow is certainly one of the jewels in the series
post #10 of 29 Old 01-07-2017, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
The reason I liked it because it gave a candid view into the day to day "operation" of her reign. I think it's safe to say that most people would have no clue of that, and thinking of only the flashy parts of balls and hunts and sorts when it comes to the court.The show also "humanize" these characters in many ways. Even though I'm, no "Royalist" by any means, but I have a greater respect for HM to put up with all this from such a tender age.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #11 of 29 Old 01-08-2017, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Congratulations to The Crown on an epic win over the likes of The Game of Thrones to take the Best TV Drama Golden Globe award, and of course to Claire Foy, winning for Best Actress in a TV Drama.
gomo657, thehun and videobruce like this.
post #12 of 29 Old 01-11-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Bad girl Princess Margaret is a hottie.
post #13 of 29 Old 11-06-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

House of Cards may be on life-support, but we still have the reigning Golden Globe Best Drama winner to enjoy on Netflix. Season 2 will be available on December 8. Here's the season 2 trailer. Princess Margaret is looking as hot as ever.

thehun and philw1776 like this.
post #14 of 29 Old 12-10-2017, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I caught the first episode of season 2 last night, and this show hasn't missed a beat, picking up right where it left off in season 1. The production is still dripping with quality, and Claire Foy is as amazing as ever, dealing with marital problems in this first episode.

Sadly, I just found out this is Foy's last season with the show. I read in an interview this week that it was always planned that she would only do the first two seasons, and then Olivia Coleman will pick up with the middle years (starting mid 1960s). Foy will be a tough act to follow, especially given Coleman won't have as interesting material story-wise to work with. Here's a good article on the casting: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...eat-of-casting
thehun likes this.
post #15 of 29 Old 12-12-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Watched the second season already, very high quality all around, Netflix better put in those orders for the next 4 seasons!
Yes Claire was marvelous, an actress I've never heard of before this show and now I can't wait to see her in more material.
I've read about the casting changes because of the aging of the characters, so me too wonder how anyone can follow up with Claire's performance.
The 2006 movie "The Queen" was written by this show's creator had Helen Mirren as QE2 who was fantastic as well in that movie.
Anyway looking forward to future seasons...
Zookster likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #16 of 29 Old 12-14-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Wow, the second season did not depict the Kennedy's in a positive light.

JFK was a functioning drug addict who physically abused Jacqueline and was intensely jealous of her, while openly flirting with other women in front of her with his party brother, Bobby. In fact, they had Jackie doing intravenous drugs with her husband and getting sloppy stupid at public events.

Very good series.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #17 of 29 Old 12-14-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Sadly, I just found out this is Foy's last season with the show. I read in an interview this week that it was always planned that she would only do the first two seasons, and then Olivia Coleman will pick up with the middle years (starting mid 1960s). Foy will be a tough act to follow, especially given Coleman won't have as interesting material story-wise to work with.
I have to disagree. World events and the politics of the times have been important backdrops for this series. The next season will cover an era that more Americans will be familiar with.
A.Bell likes this.
post #18 of 29 Old 12-14-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
I have to disagree. World events and the politics of the times have been important backdrops for this series. The next season will cover an era that more Americans will be familiar with.
Yeah, so the late 60's to about '82: Off the top of my head the events covered will be:

Her two oldest kids meeting the Nixon kids. The beginning of The Troubles (and I won't spoil it but that rather affects Mountbatten), horrible economic problems and general strikes, the rise of Thatcher, the Falklands War, and the marriage of Charles and Di.

Oh and horseback riding with Ronnie:

Last edited by lobosrul; 12-14-2017 at 12:10 PM.
post #19 of 29 Old 12-14-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Watched the second season already, very high quality all around, Netflix better put in those orders for the next 4 seasons!
Yes Claire was marvelous, an actress I've never heard of before this show and now I can't wait to see her in more material.
I've read about the casting changes because of the aging of the characters, so me too wonder how anyone can follow up with Claire's performance.
The 2006 movie "The Queen" was written by this show's creator had Helen Mirren as QE2 who was fantastic as well in that movie.
Anyway looking forward to future seasons...
If you like the works of Charles Dickens at all, you can see Claire Foy in Little Dorrit (2008). Also, The Promise (2011), and Wolf Hall* (2015) are worth watching.

*Her role in that is pretty small, and while well made I strongly disagree with the writers conclusions about Thomas Cromwell
post #20 of 29 Old 01-18-2018, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Anything on a 3rd season??

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #21 of 29 Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
JFK was a functioning drug addict who physically abused Jacqueline and was intensely jealous of her, while openly flirting with other women in front of her with his party brother, Bobby. In fact, they had Jackie doing intravenous drugs with her husband and getting sloppy stupid at public events.
Pretty harsh statements, you sure you aren't talking about Trump?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #22 of 29 Old 01-18-2018, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Pretty harsh statements, you sure you aren't talking about Trump?
That's how JFK was potrayed--mostly as a flashback--in the show as it pertained directly to the queen's relationship with Jackie. The Queen's relationship with Trump, or lack thereof, won't be addressed until a later season. Though it's been widely reported that she can kill him with a sword if she wants.
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/i...20170131121313
post #23 of 29 Old 01-18-2018, 10:10 AM

I did see that episode, really surprised about how they were portrayed.

post #24 of 29 Old 06-17-2018, 11:38 PM
post #25 of 29 Old 06-17-2018, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
post #26 of 29 Old 08-12-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4714 Post(s)
Liked: 4240
the long wait for Season 3 is nearly over...Netflix announced Monday that the period drama will return on Sunday, Nov. 17th, nearly two years after Season 2 dropped in December 2017...The Crown‘s third season will jump forward in time significantly, spanning 1964 to 1977, which prompted a recast of the show’s major roles...newly minted Oscar winner Olivia Colman will succeed Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth II, while Outlander‘s Tobias Menzies will take the Prince Philip baton from Matt Smith...

Zookster likes this.
post #27 of 29 Old 08-12-2019, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

With the new cast, it's going to feel like a different show, but I'm sure it will still be excellent. I'm trying to think of another successful, award-winning show where the main characters were played by other actors in later seasons, rather than using makeup to age the actors. Heck, Game of Thrones should've done something similar and had different actors who still looked like young teens play Ayra and Bran.
post #28 of 29 Old 09-20-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4714 Post(s)
Liked: 4240
The Crown Season 3 | Teaser Trailer

videobruce likes this.
post #29 of 29 Old 09-20-2019, 06:59 AM

I'll miss Claire Foy and the actress that played Margaret from the original season.
Zookster likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page