The Good Fight CBS All Access - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #1 of 75 Old 02-19-2017, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 688
The Good Fight CBS All Access

I thought it was an OK opening episode. Seemed a little flat by Good Wife standards, but has potential. Don't quite believe Dianne would put ALL her money into one investment firm especially in the era of Madoff,

One issue I had was more technical, not sure if it was a decision by the director or what but I felt the image was flat and unsaturated compared to most productions today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 02-20-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Thought it was a very good start. I didn't see any problems with the image quality.
post #3 of 75 Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Thought it was a very good start. I didn't see any problems with the image quality.
Same here. Christine Baranski is very capable of carrying a show and I've always admired Delroy Lindo as an actor so from a principle cast standpoint the show is solid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 Old 02-20-2017, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 912
I thought it was fairly strong based on the fact they had to establish the premise which tied their hands to a large degree. Not interested enough to subscribe to CBS All Access however...

| JVC RS2000 125" Projection - Denon 5.2.4 Audio - Shield TV PRO / 65" LG OLED TV - TiVo - Fire TV 4K |
| ODROID-N2 Ubuntu Media Server | Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #5 of 75 Old 02-20-2017, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the image quality issues I note was due to the fact I believe they were using actual buildings rather than a set with proper lighting for the opening scenes at Lockhart et.al. I'm sure those sets were struck long ago and they just scouted some locations to use. If that was the case the lighting might have been a bit off. The second episode looked better.
post #6 of 75 Old 02-21-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
I enjoyed the episode. Nice to see some of the old guard around again. Loved the scenes when the old senior partner was telling the new girl about the flower arrangements, he had some good lines, Funny! always good to see the dude from CSI who played her Dad, he adds to any show that he is on, plus his curvy wife Bernadette. The gun guy husband better get that divorce or he is going to be totally screwed. There are better fish in the sea than her.
post #7 of 75 Old 02-21-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Really enjoyed the pilot. I always felt that during the early years, The Good Wife was one of the best shows on broadcast television (although I didn't enjoy it as much during the last couple of years as it moved into politics vs law, and Alicia became more and more unlikeable). Hopefully this will be more of the same. They have basically split elements from Alicia's first year character into Diane and her Goddaughter character.

Up here in Canada, this show is moving to the W Network after the pilot, so apparently I am not the target demo for this show! (the W Network "broadcasts lifestyle and entertainment programming aimed at women")
post #8 of 75 Old 02-21-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Like the show but I am not likely to put out 6 bucks per month to get it. I watched because Jon Snows girl friend is a favorite of mine with her Red Hair.
allargon likes this.
post #9 of 75 Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I agree...

I thought it was good. Not great, but intriguing again to watch the next episode.

Of course, I think what would be smartest is to just wait until they complete the 10 episode season, and THEN do the one week free trial.

Then I can binge watch all 10 episodes and cancel before the trial is up.

Yup, I'm a cheapskate.
post #10 of 75 Old 03-04-2017, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 667
But do you know that CBS All Access is going to be like Netflix? I know they are putting on The Good Fight one episode at a time... but have they actually said that once an episode is up, it will stay up? They sure don't do their other shows that way... lots of stuff you can only watch the most recent 4-5 episodes.
post #11 of 75 Old 03-05-2017, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
But do you know that CBS All Access is going to be like Netflix? I know they are putting on The Good Fight one episode at a time... but have they actually said that once an episode is up, it will stay up? They sure don't do their other shows that way... lots of stuff you can only watch the most recent 4-5 episodes.
Some of the CBS shows like Big Bang Theory are produced by other companies and CBS still have to negotiate streaming rights like other providers do. Good Fight is a co-production between CBS Studios and Scott Free like the Good Wife was, so chances are if The Good Wife has all episodes available this show should to.

I don't watch many shows on CBS now but if any of their other CBS Studios produced content is available in bulk on All Access then that would be another indicator.

post #12 of 75 Old 03-06-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm just imagining that IF CBS catches on that people are signing up for a month and binge-watching... they might stop leaving all episodes of a show up all the time. That seems like the next logical step to me. Frankly, I'm surprised Netflix hasn't done that by now, since they have a lot of shows in their archives... I envision a time in the not-too-distant future where these networks realize what people are doing and curb it by only making part of a season available each month... so if you're a new viewer you'd have to sign up for multiple months in order to watch an entire series.
post #13 of 75 Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
Quote:
I'm just imagining that IF CBS catches on that people are signing up for a month and binge-watching... they might stop leaving all episodes of a show up all the time. That seems like the next logical step to me. Frankly, I'm surprised Netflix hasn't done that by now, since they have a lot of shows in their archives... I envision a time in the not-too-distant future where these networks realize what people are doing and curb it by only making part of a season available each month... so if you're a new viewer you'd have to sign up for multiple months in order to watch an entire series.
But not being able to watch an entire series that's already "aired" would also discourage people who might want to actually subscribe, and stay subscribed. Who would buy into a service that won't let you binge existing series immediately?

Netflix doesn't have to worry because they keep introducing more new and compelling content. Personally, it's the last thing I would be willing to let go of. Amazon is starting to approach a similar level (and I'm a heavy user of Prime shipping anyway). Hulu doesn't make the cut for me; I used a trial sub to watch 11.22.63, and didn't see much else worth paying for. CBS isn't even at that level.
Keenan likes this.
post #14 of 75 Old 03-07-2017, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
But not being able to watch an entire series that's already "aired" would also discourage people who might want to actually subscribe, and stay subscribed. Who would buy into a service that won't let you binge existing series immediately?
Except... if you're a new subscriber who needs to binge... it's going to take you a while to catch up, especially if you like more than one show. So you could still binge and need multiple months to do it anyway.

Besides, IF you only sign up for one month, then cancel it... then wait 12 months until the next season of shows you like is online... they aren't really losing much by not having you as a subscriber are they? They need regular monthly subscribers to stay viable... and if they have unique content that you can't get anywhere else, then it behooves them to control somewhat how fast you can watch it.

I could see an alternative scenario where new subscribers are "throttled" and only allowed to watch some of a show each month until they become regular monthly subscribers and are able to then "unlock" access to entire seasons going forward as long as they maintain a monthly subscription.

The fly-by subscribers who come in and binge and then leave are not going to help keep the lights on... so they are going to have to curb this sort of behavior if it becomes more commonplace.

Quote:
Netflix doesn't have to worry because they keep introducing more new and compelling content. Personally, it's the last thing I would be willing to let go of. Amazon is starting to approach a similar level (and I'm a heavy user of Prime shipping anyway). Hulu doesn't make the cut for me; I used a trial sub to watch 11.22.63, and didn't see much else worth paying for. CBS isn't even at that level.
From what I've heard, Netflix has the most content I would be interested in... but I already have a satellite subscription and lots of content to watch. I don't want to support a model that leads down a path of multiple $8-$10 per month services that I have to pay for in order to watch everything I want to watch... so I don't put them down, but I just don't watch the programs.
post #15 of 75 Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
The fly-by subscribers who come in and binge and then leave are not going to help keep the lights on... so they are going to have to curb this sort of behavior if it becomes more commonplace.
To a large degree this describes me. Twice a year I typically check out streaming... over the Holidays and between the Fall and Summer series. To my thinking their best approach would be to increase the sign-up period to say three months. If they limited the hours or availability of shows I would "protest" by not signing up at all. However I don't think they are too afraid of watch and runners at this point. As an example I regularly get come back and try us (for free) for a month from Netflix streaming and disc services... we miss you.

It's still early in the streaming game and I think to a degree they are looking for exposure over revenues. I'm guessing they rather have you viewing their content for free than paying to view another's. Once it all washes out the freebies will disappear and the commitments flow.

| JVC RS2000 125" Projection - Denon 5.2.4 Audio - Shield TV PRO / 65" LG OLED TV - TiVo - Fire TV 4K |
| ODROID-N2 Ubuntu Media Server | Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #16 of 75 Old 03-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Renewed for Season Two.

Really enjoying the show. Almost like the Good Wife never left the air, with all the crossovers. I also enjoy the new freedom that the streaming broadcast has allowed for language and topics not able to make it onto network CBS airwaves. I look forward to this show each Sunday, a lot more than I can say for most of the content on CBS.
Keenan likes this.
post #17 of 75 Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I also like the GF. However the part involving Lucca and the frat boy diminishes the show. I can't imagine a real life Lucca getting involved with such a twerp, at least for sexual purposes.
post #18 of 75 Old 04-02-2017, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good final episode. I consider TGF just as good as TGW. My only disappointment was Eli Gold didn't show up in the finale. But his daughter is becoming a star, and also Cush Jumbo.

I read (above) that it has been renewed. That's good. If it happens.

I wonder about the economics of this show. It's on a CBS streaming app, which you have to pay some $ for, and I don't see what the appeal of that is. AFAIK, it's the only content there. Do you also have to watch ads?
post #19 of 75 Old 04-02-2017, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Good final episode... It's on a CBS streaming app, which you have to pay some $ for, and I don't see what the appeal of that is. AFAIK, it's the only content there. Do you also have to watch ads?
So I infer you're viewing this through... other means?
post #20 of 75 Old 04-04-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I infer you're viewing this through... other means?
Yes. But not that p2p word that is banned here. Nothing illegal.
post #21 of 75 Old 04-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That was not the final episode. There are 2 more -10 total for Season 1

Never signs up for anything
post #22 of 75 Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6368 Post(s)
Liked: 5862
people are actually paying for broadcast network television now?...what's the world come to?
post #23 of 75 Old 04-04-2017, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
people are actually paying for broadcast network television now?...what's the world come to?
CBS: "The stuff we put on free TV is worthless. Our good shows, you have to pay for."

I wonder about the implications of this message down the line.
post #24 of 75 Old 04-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
CBS: "The stuff we put on free TV is worthless. Our good shows, you have to pay for."

I wonder about the implications of this message down the line.
NBC returns to dominance?
post #25 of 75 Old 04-16-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Neat ending!

I initially thought Henry calling the guy with "I can't go to prison" was for assisted suicide.

Guess we'll have to wait a year to find out.
post #26 of 75 Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

2nd season starts great. Better than 1st.
shivaji likes this.
post #27 of 75 Old 03-07-2018, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow, what a way to kick off season 2...
post #28 of 75 Old 03-18-2018, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well CBS is taking advantage of this not being a OTA show with language and nudity, caught me a bit off guard last week. Writing is still top notch and very current. Must see for me...
post #29 of 75 Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Well CBS is taking advantage of this not being a OTA show with language and nudity, caught me a bit off guard last week. Writing is still top notch and very current. Must see for me...
I'd love to watch it, but won't because I refuse to pay to watch it, thanks to those that do though, I'll catch it if it ever comes to Netflix or airs on a free network
I did see the main actress(Diane) talking on one of the talk shows saying because it wasn't OTA they could and would explore many topics they could never do on regular TV.
post #30 of 75 Old 03-19-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
Oh yeah. Three episodes in and I'm loving it as much as I did Season 1. The real gem of this show is Sarah Steele. She has been terrific as Marissa and now has a hot hazmat rescue guy to play with. I'm so glad that the show runners have recognized how good Steele was (on Good Wife and Season 1 of Good Fight) and are giving her more screen time this season. Meanwhile I'm still laughing over Diane's lovely sentiment to Liz as she's leaving for the day. Baranski's delivery was perfect.
shivaji likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page