"Big Little Lies" on HBO - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #31 of 66 Old 01-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I watched this during my annual GoT HBO subscription.

I found it to be a really fine production and the cast was just excellent.

I also loved the theme song they selected, Michael Kiwanuka's Cold Little Heart. In searching for info on him, I came across this other tune and video. Wow, talk about great ensembles!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 Old 01-26-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked: 3966
I was hesitant to watch this as I figured it was another chick flick type of show...but after winning a ton of Emmy's and Golden Globes I think I'll check it out...at 7 episodes it's not a big time investment either
post #33 of 66 Old 06-01-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 928
New season a week from Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 66 Old 06-11-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So Meryl Streep going to be a force in this second season.

Not sure they had a good basis for continuing the story from the book but it's here nevertheless.
post #35 of 66 Old 06-11-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked: 1590
I really liked the first season, which I watched over a four-day free preview 18 months ago. I may wait until I can binge this season over a short time frame as well later this year, unless everyone starts raving about it and I end up keeping HBO for another month.
post #36 of 66 Old 06-12-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I was meaning to re-familiarize myself with Season 1. But I'm excited for Season 2. Good opening episode, I thought.

Meryl Streep is a helluva actress though. Really have an incredibly strong cast for this show.
post #37 of 66 Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Merle has done a good job as usual, as I already detest her and perhaps, she will find herself pushed off a cliff at some point.
daryl zero likes this.
post #38 of 66 Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Probably will turn out that Mary Louise knew about her son's abusive ways and doesn't care.

She will learn that Perry raped Jane and Ziggy is her grandson, make Jane's life miserable.
post #39 of 66 Old 06-12-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am always impressed with those who know the names in the show. I have watched the first season and the latest episode and can honestly say, I don't recall a single character name in it. i do remember Reese, Skarsgard, Ziggy, Merle and Laura Dern though.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #40 of 66 Old 06-12-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I am always impressed with those who know the names in the show. I have watched the first season and the latest episode and can honestly say, I don't recall a single character name in it. i do remember Reese, Skarsgard, Ziggy, Merle and Laura Dern though.
I just have 1 word, IMDB.
archiguy and Zookster like this.

post #41 of 66 Old 06-14-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 1419
Quote:
I'm the same with most any show. Can't recall names and can't be bothered to look it up all of the time so often I end up using descriptions like, "that daughter with the blonde hair and green glasses" or, "the skinny father with all the tattoos", etc., when referencing characters.
shivaji likes this.
post #42 of 66 Old 06-14-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
I'm the same with most any show. Can't recall names and can't be bothered to look it up all of the time so often I end up using descriptions like, "that daughter with the blonde hair and green glasses" or, "the skinny father with all the tattoos", etc., when referencing characters.
Lol, Exactly.
post #43 of 66 Old 06-15-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 6011 Post(s)
Liked: 6627
Just takes a few seconds to look up an actor's name on IMDB and it makes your posts more understandable. Literally, a few seconds. If you're so darn busy you can't manage that, then maybe you shouldn't be frittering away so much time making posts on internet message boards.
AudiophileWalt likes this.
post #44 of 66 Old 06-17-2019, 07:29 AM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Just takes a few seconds to look up an actor's name on IMDB and it makes your posts more understandable. Literally, a few seconds. If you're so darn busy you can't manage that, then maybe you shouldn't be frittering away so much time making posts on internet message boards.
Since there aren’t any quotes, I assume you’re referring to blue guy and wispy red guy?
post #45 of 66 Old 06-17-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post
Since there aren’t any quotes, I assume you’re referring to blue guy and wispy red guy?
That's Funny!
iamian likes this.
post #46 of 66 Old 06-17-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
That's Funny!
Funny ha-ha or funny peculiar?
shivaji likes this.

post #47 of 66 Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Second episode was all kinds of awesome, with revelations left and right.

Holy cow the actors show their chops.
shivaji likes this.
post #48 of 66 Old 06-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 5797
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Second episode was all kinds of awesome, with revelations left and right.

Holy cow the actors show their chops.
Yeah, the show is filled with talented performers. Add to that the talent of its creator, David El Kelley, and it's no wonder Episode 2 has so far averaged an average vote from IMDb voters of 9.3 Stars out of 10. I found this episode so often funny, I can't decide whether it was just because Kelley is a funny guy or because I am irredeemably cynical. Anyway I loved it.

As might have been expected, the hyper-talented Meryl Streep has added a lot as Celeste's skeptical mother in law, Mary Louise Wright. I also liked Crystal Fox as Bonnie's edgy mama, Elizabeth Howard. Anyway, Big Little Lies is one of the best shows running these days, if not the very best.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #49 of 66 Old 06-25-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Loving season two, best lines last week were Renata " I will not not be rich" and her husband " I wanted a jet" shows exactly how out of touch these characters are.
This week, as accomplished as Nicole Kidman is, Meryl continues to dominate every scene she's in.
post #50 of 66 Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Snoopy, sneaky, snarky Streep is a hard character to watch. I find myself sometimes hitting the mute button when she speaks.

Last edited by shivaji; 06-25-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #51 of 66 Old 06-25-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Liked: 1705
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Yeah, the show is filled with talented performers. Add to that the talent of its creator, David El Kelley, and it's no wonder Episode 2 has so far averaged an average vote from IMDb voters of 9.3 Stars out of 10. I found this episode so often funny, I can't decide whether it was just because Kelley is a funny guy or because I am irredeemably cynical. Anyway I loved it.

As might have been expected, the hyper-talented Meryl Streep has added a lot as Celeste's skeptical mother in law, Mary Louise Wright. I also liked Crystal Fox as Bonnie's edgy mama, Elizabeth Howard. Anyway, Big Little Lies is one of the best shows running these days, if not the very best.
Its funny because the subject matter of the show isn't that interesting, its more the dialogue and the actors which make this a highly entertaining show. I guess you could say, its not the destination, its the ride. Meryl Streep is great as Perry's mom and apologist. I do want her to get smacked in the face at some point. It is interesting the poise of the women whereas I'm not sure guys would take that passive - aggressive and aggressive crap from her.
gwsat, Don S and AudiophileWalt like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #52 of 66 Old 06-26-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Snoopy, sneaky, snarky Streep is a hard character to watch. I find myself sometimes hitting the mute button when she speaks.
I think that's a testament to her acting abilities.

My wild prediction is that she dies by "falling" down the stairs this season.
shivaji likes this.
post #53 of 66 Old 06-26-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Its funny because the subject matter of the show isn't that interesting, its more the dialogue and the actors which make this a highly entertaining show. ...
I was about to post this exact thing. I feel like this season there is almost no plot. It's only interesting because of the sheer power of the characters. For me, I'm not sure how long this is really sustainable to hold my interest. We have the "dead dude's mom may expose the death" part, and the rich guy got caught for fraud part. And maybe some affair plot, but mostly it adds up to little for me. Still, I enjoy it anyway because of the actors at this point.
post #54 of 66 Old 07-15-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Liked: 1705
While I've liked this show (acting -- not plot), I have to mention that the child custody hearings are about the worst representation of actual lawyer and trial work than I've seen in a while.

Celeste is acting extremely inconsistent as a character and the fact that she is a lawyer makes her demeanor and actions very odd. I guess now all of sudden, she woke up and is going to do (calling Perry's mom as a witness) what any lawyer who was representing Celeste would do as a matter of course. Celeste's lawyer is about the worse tv lawyer I've seen. Her statement to Celeste 2 shows ago about how credibility is important rather than brashness is true but the rest of her actions -- sheesh.

The judge saying that she was going to ask Celeste questions first and then the petitioner's lawyer next is off base. The worst of it was the animation as evidence of the physics. Right. We'll just take the attorney's word that the animation is accurate and that's the way physics works. Never would happen. They would have to call all sorts of witnesses to lay that foundation including a physicist and the animator. Plus no judge would let the other side present evidence like this as a surprise. The other side would have the right to call their own experts to refute that evidence.

That type of animation might cost in the high five figures or even six figures to put together correctly. I doubt if the police department had the resources to do it.

It was very depressing watching that kind of drama be staged when courtroom stuff has seemed to at least try to get more accurate (though a lot of stuff done to make shortcuts or to make a point) since the L&O etc series.
iamian and yobbo like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #55 of 66 Old 07-15-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I heard that grandparents rarely get a chance to fight to take custody from any parent.

But then Mary Louise must have unlimited resources because how did her lawyer get pictures of all the men Celeste supposedly slept with? Many of them are one-night stands and yet they hired PIs, to run them down and get their pictures taken?

And the simulation also would cost a lot of money but without expert witnesses, who also cost a lot of money, I doubt a lawyer would spend that kind of money in a custody case.

However, of course the main women had to feel threatened, not just about Celeste losing custody but their whole collusion to like was at stake.

I doubt a small town PD would also pursue this case so hard. Especially when the suspects are white, upper-middle class or rich women and families.

I would more buy it if Perry's death became a national or international story and you had all these reporters descend upon Monterey, digging, hiring PIs and so on.

Or like True Detective, there was a documentary filmmaker who was on the case and uncovered a lot of inconvenient facts.

But Season 2 has a slightly higher RT score than Season 1.
post #56 of 66 Old 07-16-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Yeah I heard that grandparents rarely get a chance to fight to take custody from any parent.

But then Mary Louise must have unlimited resources because how did her lawyer get pictures of all the men Celeste supposedly slept with? Many of them are one-night stands and yet they hired PIs, to run them down and get their pictures taken?

And the simulation also would cost a lot of money but without expert witnesses, who also cost a lot of money, I doubt a lawyer would spend that kind of money in a custody case.

However, of course the main women had to feel threatened, not just about Celeste losing custody but their whole collusion to like was at stake.

I doubt a small town PD would also pursue this case so hard. Especially when the suspects are white, upper-middle class or rich women and families.

I would more buy it if Perry's death became a national or international story and you had all these reporters descend upon Monterey, digging, hiring PIs and so on.

Or like True Detective, there was a documentary filmmaker who was on the case and uncovered a lot of inconvenient facts.

But Season 2 has a slightly higher RT score than Season 1.
I got on David E. Kelley’s wavelength back in his Boston Legal days. Kelley really is a lawyer and really did practice law in a large Boston law firm, so he understands how lawyers and judges talk. Nevertheless he has never let plausibility stand in the way of telling exciting and often funny stories.

Although I was in trial practice in a large firm for many years, Kelley’s frequent storytelling excesses have never bothered me. So it was with this week’s Big Little Lies Episode. The courtroom scenes retained just enough real world verisimilitude for me to accept its over the top features. I can hardly wait for next week when creepy Mary Louise takes the stand!

I haven’t counted up how many Oscar wins and nominations the show’s dazzlingly talented ensemble cast has accumulated but it’s a bunch. No wonder the show is so much fun!
oldcband likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #57 of 66 Old 07-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Forgot to mention in my earlier post one of my favorite things Kelley does is to make entertaining the misery suffered by characters we don’t much like. There’s a great German word for it: Schadenfreude. The most recent example was the formerly rich and entitled but now only entitled Renata having (another) temper tantrum at her husband’s expense. Great stuff!
AudiophileWalt and oldcband like this.

post #58 of 66 Old 07-16-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wondered if he modeled Renata on some real life woman CEO.

When Meg Whitman ran for office in CA, there were stories about her blowing up at her assistants. She didn't live too far from Monterey.
post #59 of 66 Old 07-16-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
"Bad Mother" episode was a great one.

160,000 for stress management.

Some great television on this episode. Magnifico.
gwsat likes this.

These are just my opinions.

Last edited by oldcband; 07-16-2019 at 09:11 PM.
post #60 of 66 Old 07-21-2019, 08:14 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11111 Post(s)
Liked: 6617
The season finale (and perhaps series finale) this evening was a beautiful episode. Both Meryl and Nicole deserve Emmy nods for their performances. I will miss this series.
gwsat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page