AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Marvel's 'The Gifted' on FOX (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/2838297-marvels-gifted-fox.html)

Waboman 05-09-2017 08:04 PM

Marvel's 'The Gifted' on FOX

Marvel and Director, Bryan Singer, bring you the all-new FOX series, THE GIFTED, coming to FOX this fall.

archiguy 05-10-2017 08:25 AM

Oh great! Just what the world needs: another mutant kids fleeing persecution show. There just aren't enough of 'em, you know? :rolleyes:

OTOH, AmyAckerAmyAckerAmyAcker! Say it with me now! It's fun! :D

daryl zero 05-10-2017 08:36 AM

NuSoardGraphite 05-10-2017 09:05 AM

Success of shows on CW and now Legion means we get a flood of Superhero tv shows.

As long as they are good, I don't mind. I love the supers genre. But all this material flooding tv will give people fatigue. Oh well, I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Not sure about Cloak and Dagger. Maybe this one will be good.

Waboman 05-10-2017 09:13 AM

I remember the same things getting said before Legion premiered. And look how that turned out. Not bad. Plus it's better than any new CSI: Des Moines, or Law and Order Omaha.

WilliamR 05-10-2017 09:21 AM

Another Marvel show that will probably never tie into any other series/shows/movies. Great, just great.

VisionOn 05-10-2017 01:02 PM

Yeah, I think I'm done. Superhero burnout.

It may have made a difference if it wasn't someone else with more handwave budgetsaver telekinesis powers and a more interesting ability, but I still haven't watched Legends or any of the recent Netflix shows because the abilities of the heroes do not interest me.

At this point I may actually be more interested in The Greatest American Hero reboot rumors just because it features a supersuit.

Plus, it's another genre show on Fox. I feel like I say that every time something like this is announced but Fox have yet to break with tradition of sending sci-fi and fantasy shows to either ratings cancellation oblivion or lazy procedural hell.

Waboman 05-15-2017 09:24 AM

Here's the full trailer. Nice mention of the X-Men.

VisionOn 05-15-2017 03:27 PM

Reminds me a lot of Heroes.

But then again Heroes reminded me of earlier ostracized superhero stories and then went on to spawn even more.

Hmm, what happened to the Spawn reboot? I would like to see that instead. Undead hero, living cape, supersuit with demonic chains, fighting demons instead of of being chased by secret superhero hunters ...

Or go for the easy path and spin-off Ghost Rider from SHIELD. Flaming skull antiheroes would make a nice change from bullied telekinetic kids.

Westly-C 05-15-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamR (Post 52877265)
Another Marvel show that will probably never tie into any other series/shows/movies. Great, just great.

Fox (the studio) controls live action film/tv rights to the X Men universe, so this series, as is the X films, will not be connected to the Marvel produced theatricals, but there may be some tenuous linkage with the Fox X Men verse.

TitusTroy 05-15-2017 11:33 PM

looks decent...I'm sure the pilot episode will be expensive and decent but I'm worried about the 10+ episodes beyond that...I'm moving away from network TV (except for sports) and prefer basic cable and moreso premium cable (HBO, Showtime, Starz etc) for my drama fix...way better writing, production values and overall quality with cable

WilliamR 05-16-2017 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westly-C (Post 53005122)
Fox (the studio) controls live action film/tv rights to the X Men universe, so this series, as is the X films, will not be connected to the Marvel produced theatricals, but there may be some tenuous linkage with the Fox X Men verse.

What about agents of shield? What about Legion? What about Luke Cage? What about Jessica Jones? What about Daredevil? What about Iron Fist? What about all the movies not set in the x-men universe? Again, another Marvel series that will not be tied into the larger Marvel universe. A HUGE miss by Marvel in not forcing that in contract negotiations across all their shows/movies.

WilliamR 05-16-2017 04:31 AM

Trailer looks awesome but wow that is insanely similar to Heroes.

zaphod7501 05-16-2017 05:31 AM

They lost me at "children". I might do a fully fleshed superhero with minimal flashbacks but no more "coming of age" shows. Really tired of "so and so" does something stupid because they lack maturity/experience/guidance and "learns" from the experience; until it happens again the next week.

TitusTroy 05-16-2017 05:56 AM

Heroes 2.0...so Stephen Moyer will be playing the Noah Bennet character?...and they even have a young, blonde girl with powers (Claire?)...hopefully they can make the show interesting for longer then 1 season...save the cheerleader, save the world

Waboman 08-05-2017 08:31 PM

Trailer from the Con.

I couldn't place the actor playing Elipse and finally broke down and IMDb'd him. He's the guy from the short lived Syfy show Incorporated. Which I liked. So of course it was canceled after one season. Also always good to see Jesse from Burn Notice.

A brief PSA.

Joseph 08-06-2017 12:22 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Waboman 10-02-2017 04:33 PM

Just a heads up, this premiers tonight at 9/8c

VisionOn 10-02-2017 04:41 PM

This is getting "okay" to "pretty good" reviews, mostly on the strength of the Singer-directed high budget pilot. An expectation that is likely not to be matched in later episodes, but still a better show than Inhumans is the general feedback.

Not enough to get me to rush to watch more identikit powered people tonight, but maybe at the weekend I'll check it out.

TitusTroy 10-02-2017 04:53 PM

consensus seems to be that it's one of the better new shows of the season...I'm not going to watch though...I'm burnt out on superhero shows/movies plus it seems a bit generic and it's on network TV...Legion on FX is my go-to cable superhero fix...if The Gifted is lucky it'll last as long as Heroes did

Stereodude 10-02-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisionOn (Post 54893706)
...but still a better show than Inhumans is the general feedback...

A show about paint drying would be a better show than Inhumans. :p

Don S 10-03-2017 11:27 AM

So the pilot was good I thought. Bill from True Blood was decent as well in it. I thought it was interesting and well acted. I had zero expectations that I would be keeping this show, but at least for now I will keep watching.

@TitusTroy I am also Marvel'd out / Super Human'd out myself. I can't enjoy too many more, but this pilot was good at least. Inhumans was not my thing, one and done for me. (and I wanted to like Legion, but it ended up driving me nuts, I dumped that was well).

daryl zero 10-03-2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don S (Post 54897096)
So the pilot was good I thought. Bill from True Blood was decent as well in it. I thought it was interesting and well acted. I had zero expectations that I would be keeping this show, but at least for now I will keep watching.

@TitusTroy I am also Marvel'd out / Super Human'd out myself. I can't enjoy too many more, but this pilot was good at least. Inhumans was not my thing, one and done for me. (and I wanted to like Legion, but it ended up driving me nuts, I dumped that was well).

Bill from True Blood was a pretty bland character and the jump from prosecutor to fugitive was not as convincing as I thought it might be.
They could have put a no-name in that role and it would have been find. Barely recognized him because he has slendered down.
The show was mostly just a bunch of action which is okay. Not much in background.
The kids learning their powers seemed pretty cliche. The girl has the typical defensive skills and the boy has destructive skills. Same old same old.
I'll keep watching for now but this could easily be like that other show a few years ago (can't remember the name) which seemed to be about the same thing and got old fast.

Edit: The show was The Tomorrow People.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_To...U.S._TV_series)

Don S 10-03-2017 01:50 PM

The jump from prosecutor to fugitive would be fast if your kids were about to be taken. It seemed real to me. I'll watch for now, but I am pretty Marvel'd out so we'll see how long it lasts ..

Aleron Ives 10-04-2017 12:13 AM

I enjoyed it. I haven't gotten around to watching The Inhumans yet, and all the bad reactions I've read aren't helping me to muster the enthusiasm to do so.

WilliamR 10-04-2017 03:49 AM

This show is more like what I hoped Heroes would always become. I think it was well done. Even though I am a little super heroed out, this show reinvigorated my passion for super hero shows.

Stereodude 10-04-2017 07:40 AM

The show might have potential. It's a bit too early to make the call. However, I was disappointed in how frumpy they made the very lovely Jamie Chung look.

Keenan 10-04-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleron Ives (Post 54900280)
I enjoyed it. I haven't gotten around to watching The Inhumans yet, and all the bad reactions I've read aren't helping me to muster the enthusiasm to do so.

I enjoyed it as well.

I haven't see Inhumans either and given that it's only an 8 episode run and the reviews basically put it at DOA as far as getting renewed I decided to not even bother with.

Waboman 10-04-2017 12:30 PM

I still dig me some superheroes and was entertained by The Gifted. Looking forward to more. The Inhumans otoh, was just so damn boring. Heck, Iron Fisted was more fun than Inhumans.

jpillar 10-04-2017 01:01 PM

The hide out for "The Gifted" looked like the police headquarters in Gotham.