Star Trek: Discovery on CBS All Access - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2195Likes

post #61 of 2097 Old 05-22-2017, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Sorry, my fault for not being more specific about the point I was trying to make... I wasn't bringing up Big Bang for sci-fi... just for an example of a show that is expensive to produce. I could just as easily have cited Friends, which also had multiple main stars making a million an episode in later seasons.

My point was... if they can make a 30-min comedy profitable enough to pay main stars millions of dollars... then surely someone could make a 60-min sci-fi program and put some of that money into the F/X budget. That was all I was saying. People act like Sci-Fi is "too expensive" but then fail to notice that some dramas and comedies end up with big budgets because of the stars even without F/X costs.

I stick to my guns that IF we had more quality sci-fi stories, then sci-fi shows would do well on TV. The problem is that any time a sci-fi show fails the genre is crushed harder... whereas a comedy or a drama fails and two more take their place... like Hydra! So they keep getting chances to get it right... but sci-fi doesn't get to fail on the same scale.
The thing is that these comedies you cite started out paying their cast peanuts in the first 5 years or so and production costs are low from the get go. Once they become popular and hit the syndication market after 5 years, then the cast can negotiate for the big bucks.

Sci-if shows are able to pay their cast low wages to begin with, but the SFX budget is high from the start, so they are more of a risk right out of the gate and there's more pressure to be a hit in the first couple of years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2097 Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'm amazed that the brains behind the show think that trailer will generate interest. For me at least, it did just the opposite. This does not look good at all.
David F and shivaji like this.
post #63 of 2097 Old 05-23-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 667
The thing is... they are sinking money into huge F/X budgets and not putting any money into the cast or the script, then the show sucks... and they claim it is too costly and nobody wants to watch sci-fi... Keep doing the same thing, expect similar results. That's why I say don't pour money into the F/X... Put it into the script and actors if you have to. We all love some sci-fi that has less-than-stellar F/X but we remember for solid stories... That's actually classic TOS if you think about it... not great F/X but they did well on the casting and got some solid sci-fi writers contributing stories back in the day.

That's all I'm saying. IF you can also get money for F/X, then cool... but nobody is going to care if it looks shiny but runs rough... That Discovery trailer looks slickly produced and clearly indicated a good F/X budget... but almost nobody is coming away from it overwhelmed with the positive vibe of watching it, right?
jazzycat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2097 Old 05-24-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1670
Honestly I don't think the trailer looks that bad in terms of generic sci-fi fare. I just don't get any sense that the people in charge of this show know how to make Star Trek.
archiguy, cardoski and jazzycat like this.
post #65 of 2097 Old 05-24-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I don't plan on buying CBS all access, but hopefully will eventually be able to see the show & hope it's good ...
I've been waiting for a decent 'Star Trek' type space scifi show, where the ship is actually Clean, & well lit, & the interior doesn't look like virtually every other scifi show in the last 10 years, - a dingy dark basement of a steam factory, where all the characters are right out of the gulf war, lacing up their marine boots, in the ships dingy dark obligatory locker room, & strapping their M-16 looking energy gun on to their dirty dark uniform, with gloves that have no finger holes, so they can go on their mission to the filthy ghetto streets of a space colony, which is also, of course, dark & dingy ...

Last edited by MeatChicken; 05-24-2017 at 01:18 PM.
post #66 of 2097 Old 05-24-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6727 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
But that makes it gritty and realistic. Along with shaky-cam. Gotta' have the image bouncing all over the place if you want gritty & realistic.
Dmon4u and MeatChicken like this.
post #67 of 2097 Old 05-24-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1690 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
I can not say one way or the other based on that trailer as it was just a snippet from a scene......

It told nothing of mission statement of the show or what the premis is going to be, other than it is a pre pre pre setting based show.

After eneterprise.......I do not have high hopes for any new versions.

TNG set the bar for new versions.......it needs to be to that level or above to be a winner.

Enterprise was well below Voyager......, which I totally blame on bakkula`s confused style of acting, coupled with bad writers of course.

Who knows, they must have learned some lessons in the last failure.....

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #68 of 2097 Old 05-24-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
I don't plan on buying CBS all access, but hopefully will eventually be able to see the show & hope it's good ...
I've been waiting for a decent 'Star Trek' type space scifi show, where the ship is actually Clean, & well lit, & the interior doesn't look like virtually every other scifi show in the last 10 years, - a dingy dark basement of a steam factory, where all the characters are right out of the gulf war, lacing up their marine boots, in the ships dingy dark obligatory locker room, & strapping their M-16 looking energy gun on to their dirty dark uniform, with gloves that have no finger holes, so they can go on their mission to the filthy ghetto streets of a space colony, which is also, of course, dark & dingy ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
But that makes it gritty and realistic. Along with shaky-cam. Gotta' have the image bouncing all over the place if you want gritty & realistic.
.. Add in virtually every main character, Captain ect being a 17 to 20-something, & we will have a Trifecta!

Last edited by MeatChicken; 05-24-2017 at 01:19 PM.
post #69 of 2097 Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Don't forget the lens flares! Lots and lots of blinding lens flares! Even in pitch black darkly lit sets! Where there aren't even light sources to generate them!

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #70 of 2097 Old 05-25-2017, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Apparently there has been some uproar over the diversity of the crew. It's like these people are completely unfamiliar with Star Trek.
post #71 of 2097 Old 05-25-2017, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
Apparently there has been some uproar over the diversity of the crew. It's like these people are completely unfamiliar with Star Trek.

That is comical......

There was nothing diverse or racey about the original crew.... .......those skirts were pretty short by todays standards....much less then......
jazzycat likes this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #72 of 2097 Old 05-25-2017, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 6841
Lol, "alternate universe Uhura" breaking the barriers 40 plus years ago. Soo HOT. Whadda these kids today know. Nothing! Get off my damn lawn already.

N5XZS, archiguy, shivaji and 3 others like this.
post #73 of 2097 Old 05-25-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Even TNG got off the beaten path......

post #74 of 2097 Old 05-25-2017, 06:06 PM

I remember the kiss between Uhura and Kirk in one episode. Even though it was just a closed mouth peck, it was the first interracial kiss in TV history. People lost their freaking minds. And they know who they were.
cardoski likes this.
post #75 of 2097 Old 05-25-2017, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Uhura, what a Babe, she really got to shine in the alternate universe episode.
Tack, cardoski and jazzycat like this.
post #76 of 2097 Old 05-25-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1670
It wasn't the first, but it was certainly important, as evidenced by the fact that it has its own Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_and_Uhura's_kiss
unretarded likes this.
post #77 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 03:02 AM

Another interesting factoid about Nichelle Nichols, if I remember correctly, is that she was unsure about whether to take the role, thinking it may have just been a piece of PC stunt casting, the short skirts, etc., and she envisioned a more "prestigious" stage career. But she was encouraged to accept the part by none other than Martin Luther King (!), who felt that such a high-profile role by a black actress would help with African-American cultural assimilation.
jazzycat likes this.
post #78 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Another interesting factoid about Nichelle Nichols, if I remember correctly, is that she was unsure about whether to take the role, thinking it may have just been a piece of PC stunt casting, the short skirts, etc., and she envisioned a more "prestigious" stage career. But she was encouraged to accept the part by none other than Martin Luther King (!), who felt that such a high-profile role by a black actress would help with African-American cultural assimilation.
A slight correction...Nichols was debating whether to return for a second season:

Quote:
Nichols told King she was going to miss Star Trek, and he asked what she meant. She said she was leaving for Broadway. That was when King told her Star Trek was the only programme he allowed his children to watch, and ordered her not to leave. “He told me not only that I shouldn’t but I couldn’t leave.” Blimey, I say, that’s a bit bossy. Why did he say that? She smiles. “He knew more than I knew. He knew more about me, where I was going to in my life, than I did.” In her autobiography, she writes that he told her she couldn’t leave because she was a role model for millions of young girls and women – the only African-American on TV in a role worth having.
shivaji likes this.
post #79 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
A slight correction...Nichols was debating whether to return for a second season:
Ah, thanks. I almost remembered it correctly.
post #80 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2166
Quote:
I remember the kiss between Uhura and Kirk in one episode. Even though it was just a closed mouth peck, it was the first interracial kiss in TV history. People lost their freaking minds. And they know who they were.
Actually, people didn't. Nobody seemed to really mind at all.

That's the beauty of ScFi: you can do a lot of things that society would normally not accept when you set it in the future on a space ship.
jazzycat and unretarded like this.
post #81 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Actually, people didn't. Nobody seemed to really mind at all.

That's the beauty of ScFi: you can do a lot of things that society would normally not accept when you set it in the future on a space ship.
Well, they didn't have social media back then, either. More than anything, the SM phenomenon has given free expression to society's id, both good and bad.
post #82 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2166
Quote:
Well, they didn't have social media back then, either. More than anything, the SM phenomenon has given free expression to society's id, both good and bad.
People did used to write these things called letters to the networks. They had to buy a stamp for them and everything.
jazzycat likes this.
post #83 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
People did used to write these things called letters to the networks. They had to buy a stamp for them and everything.
Of course, some did. But it took a little work, a level of commitment and a willingness to forgo anonymity that's unnecessary today. I would argue that social media is an entirely different and far more pervasive animal for letting one's freak flag fly free.
jazzycat likes this.
post #84 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another little factoid I'm sure you all have read, is that Gene Roddenberry was nailing Nichelle. Soon afterwards also, Majel Barrett and wanted to have and open relationship with both of them. Uhura declined, it seems. He also went after Ensign Rand as well. Just a guy having fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person...ne_Roddenberry
Tack likes this.
post #85 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 08:41 AM

Whatta horndog that guy was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Another little factoid I'm sure you all have read, is that Gene Roddenberry was nailing Nichelle. Soon afterwards also, Majel Barrett and wanted to have and open relationship with both of them. Uhura declined, it seems. He also went after Ensign Rand as well. Just a guy having fun.

shivaji likes this.

Last edited by Tack; 05-26-2017 at 08:45 AM.
post #86 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Day-um! Now that I did not know!
jazzycat likes this.
post #87 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kev Greenhalgh likes this.

post #88 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The trailer wasn't all that exciting, but it still remains to be seen as to the story. But I believe it will be one long story line for the season. Don't know why they need to make everything serial these days. It didn't work for Enterprise, it won't work for this. And blew it by putting it on all access. I already pay for cbs through my cable bill, and now they want me to pay them more just to watch one show (with commercial no less). I do want to watch it, but I will find another way.
shivaji, jazzycat and unretarded like this.

Denon AVR-3803 - RTi-70 Fronts - FXi-30 Surrounds - RTi-38 Back Surrounds - Csi-40 Center - PSW350 Sub - Samsung un60JS8000 SUHD
post #89 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since this thread does have an outer space theme, I thought this would fit in. This is one of the latest pics from the Juno space probe of Jupiter. This is Jupiter's South Pole. Very cool pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16582ab486a9be34b4b9ef67ae52501d.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	2157258  
N5XZS, Keenan, Tack and 2 others like this.

Last edited by shivaji; 05-26-2017 at 02:00 PM.
post #90 of 2097 Old 05-26-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Since this thread does have an outer space theme, I thought this would fit in. This is one of the latest pics from the Juno space probe of Jupiter. This is Jupiter's South Pole. Very cool pic.

Wow. Looks very mysterious and awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page