Star Trek: Discovery on CBS All Access - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2082Likes

post #931 of 1966 Old 10-10-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 2928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingclancy View Post
The tardigrade "Ripper" hearkens back to the "The Devil in the Dark" episode from TOS where The Horta is first thought to be a monster but turns out to be misunderstood and be beneficial.
Howdy fellow Northern Ontario person.

that is a good point, will have to re watch that episode.
Kingclancy likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1966 Old 10-10-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Discovery is from the viewpoint of those captains and starships that bend/break the rules which causes the crew of the Enterprise to have to come in and clean up the mess.

Remember the the episode of TNG where Riker’s first captain took the Enterprise on a mission to find their abandoned ship that was halfway embedded in an asteroid or something? And it turns out that that the ship, Pegasus, was working on an illegal cloaking device and the incident was covered up.
post #933 of 1966 Old 10-10-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Discovery is from the viewpoint of those captains and starships that bend/break the rules which causes the crew of the Enterprise to have to come in and clean up the mess.

Remember the the episode of TNG where Riker’s first captain took the Enterprise on a mission to find their abandoned ship that was halfway embedded in an asteroid or something? And it turns out that that the ship, Pegasus, was working on an illegal cloaking device and the incident was covered up.
Yeah, even in TOS time Starfleet is not the saint organization people seem to make it out to be in some of these discussions. Captains, leaders and officers comfortable and willing to do what it takes to "win" are not outside the realm of Star Trek regardless what people might like to believe.

That said, I still think Discovery is a little too much on the "dark and gloomy and gritty" side which i think there is too much in TV these days.
slowbiscuit likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1966 Old 10-11-2017, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I think in the end their lesson will be that they need to keep adding more original new shows to CBS All Access to keep getting more subscriber growth. Just like all the other streaming services are doing. Which are also increasing subscriber numbers.
For $10 they need far more than that.... Amazon, Netflix, Hulu all encompasses several networks and channels into one for a similar price per month. CBS have a loooong waaaaay to go there, or lower the price considerably.
phildaant and openbaffled like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #935 of 1966 Old 10-11-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Episode 4 was OK. #3 is still the best so far.
post #936 of 1966 Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
ST-D is not science fiction; it is science fantasy.

Say what you want about the previous Star Trek shows, from Enterprise to Voyager, the science was nearly always (nearly, not completely) based in semi-plausible science. Faster than speed of light travel? Create a "warp" bubble, inside of which the starship is not violating the laws of physics. Matter and energy are interrelated, so "transporting" was at least a fanciful extension of that (even if it was really done to limit spending).

But, "spore drive"? WTF? That is in the realm of fantasy. And the overgrown microorganism that knows the entire map of the universe? Again, WTF?

There IS a genre difference between science fiction and science fantasy. "It's been said that science fiction and fantasy are two different things: science fiction, the improbable made possible; fantasy, the impossible made probable." -- Rod Serling

And what's with the mechanical design of the Discovery? All the rotating and twisting? How does that even work internally, what is its purpose? It was done because they thought it would look cool and nothing else, IMO. Like a lot of the elements of ST-D... the writers are obviously overly impressed with their own cleverness.

Last edited by RTPVid; 10-12-2017 at 07:24 AM.
post #937 of 1966 Old 10-11-2017, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Watched eps.1-4 of ST Disco at a friend's house...

My suggestion for the DVD release would be to allow a playback choice between "as aired" and "without Klingon Game-Of-Thrones scenes"! An extended blow-by-blow retelling of the Klingon Empire's restoration might be necessary to understand some future season, but for now it's just taking airtime away from deranged Federation soldiers|scientists|civilians and self-destructive Federation technology (or vice versa?)

_
uniquepattern likes this.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #938 of 1966 Old 10-11-2017, 12:15 PM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 2087
Question Audio ?

A quick question. I think I know the answer, but I could have missed it while reading the previous pages.

Is this Show available anywhere with Dolby 5.1 ? Or it the CSB All Access and 2.0 PCM the best we have right now?

A Show about the future employing audio technology from the distant past! Sad actually.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #939 of 1966 Old 10-11-2017, 01:20 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9299 Post(s)
Liked: 5984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
A quick question. I think I know the answer, but I could have missed it while reading the previous pages.

Is this Show available anywhere with Dolby 5.1 ? Or it the CSB All Access and 2.0 PCM the best we have right now?

A Show about the future employing audio technology from the distant past! Sad actually.
Netflix has it in 5.1. At least when I watched it from Netflix UK it did. But the 5.1 track sucked for the three episodes I checked out in 5.1. The 2.0 track from Netflix and CBS All Access provided a much better experience for me than the 5.1 track did. With me using Dolby Surround processing with both.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #940 of 1966 Old 10-11-2017, 01:26 PM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Netflix has it in 5.1. At least when I watched it from Netflix UK it did. But the 5.1 track sucked for the three episodes I checked out in 5.1. The 2.0 track from Netflix and CBS All Access provided a much better experience for me than the 5.1 track did. With me using Dolby Surround processing with both.
Thank you for the reply. No luck with Netflix carrying this show in the US. Least not that I have found. So consider yourself lucky to get it on Netflix UK.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #941 of 1966 Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9299 Post(s)
Liked: 5984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Thank you for the reply. No luck with Netflix carrying this show in the US. Least not that I have found. So consider yourself lucky to get it on Netflix UK.
I was trying out a VPN service when I did that. Between me not liking the 5.1 track, and Netflix UK not having The Good Fight. I decided not to use a VPN and just stick with watching Discovery from CBS All Access here in the US.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #942 of 1966 Old 10-13-2017, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1635
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
Like a lot of the elements of ST-D... the writers are obviously overly impressed with their own cleverness.
...and their VFX budget. That pointless intro of the replicator fashioning the uniform was amusing. They should have redirected the money they spent on that scene to upgrading the universal translator to handle Klingon.
thehun, phildaant, RTPVid and 1 others like this.
post #943 of 1966 Old 10-13-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
Like a lot of the elements of ST-D... the writers are obviously overly impressed with their own cleverness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
...and their VFX budget. That pointless intro of the replicator fashioning the uniform was amusing. They should have redirected the money they spent on that scene to upgrading the universal translator to handle Klingon.

My threat-of-cancellation ganglia agree with you!

And the writers should have watched The Hunt For Red October to see how well it's possible to convey that the cast are speaking 'another language'--but the dialog actually plays in English...

_
shivaji, phildaant and RTPVid like this.

"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #944 of 1966 Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
My threat-of-cancellation ganglia agree with you!

And the writers should have watched The Hunt For Red October to see how well it's possible to convey that the cast are speaking 'another language'--but the dialog actually plays in English...

_
I must have missed it in THFRO where it explained how the Soviet sub commander had a Scottish accent.
phildaant likes this.
post #945 of 1966 Old 10-13-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I must have missed it in THFRO where it explained how the Soviet sub commander had a Scottish accent.

I believe Captain First Rate Marko Alexandrovich Ramius was Lithuanian born, not Russian, which I'm sure is more than sufficient to explain why his accent [in English] is Scottish rather than some variant of the Moscow English dialect as one would expect...

_
thehun likes this.

post #946 of 1966 Old 10-13-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 2101
Quote:
Because it's Sean Freakin' Connery - the accent is irrelevant. He could stand there singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and it would still be epic.

Besides, any criticism of his accent may result in him beating you up with his thumb. Just the right one, though. The left is too much for you.
DeadEd, aaronwt, Tack and 3 others like this.
post #947 of 1966 Old 10-13-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2080
Leaked Spoiler alert from episode 5

They have a epic accident with the spore drive that leaves the entire Klingon race mute ........
phildaant likes this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #948 of 1966 Old 10-13-2017, 12:08 PM
PMA

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've sent a question to CBS All Access to ask why they are not broadcasting in Dolby 5.1 (at a minimum). Hopefully, they will reply and if so, I will post that later.
post #949 of 1966 Old 10-13-2017, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
I've sent a question to CBS All Access to ask why they are not broadcasting in Dolby 5.1 (at a minimum). Hopefully, they will reply and if so, I will post that later.
So you will spend even more money by purchasing the Blu-ray set when it comes out.
post #950 of 1966 Old 10-13-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4707 Post(s)
Liked: 6289
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Because it's Sean Freakin' Connery - the accent is irrelevant. He could stand there singing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and it would still be epic.

Besides, any criticism of his accent may result in him beating you up with his thumb. Just the right one, though. The left is too much for you.

You mean "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Shtar".

He could back down John Wick, The Equalizer, and Chuck Norris with a simple, stern look.

post #951 of 1966 Old 10-13-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
I'm a big Connery fan. I even bought Zardoz back in the VHS days.
unretarded likes this.
post #952 of 1966 Old 10-14-2017, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm rather confused by Lorca. Every time another crew member mentions him, it's always to say how ruthless, driven, and cold he is and how he cares about nothing except victory, yet every time he's actually on screen, he seems like a relatively calm and reasonable guy for a captain in wartime. There's a huge disconnect between other characters' descriptions of him and his portrayal by Jason Isaacs, and I doubt that Isaacs is the one creating it.
post #953 of 1966 Old 10-14-2017, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm rather confused by Lorca. Every time another crew member mentions him, it's always to say how ruthless, driven, and cold he is and how he cares about nothing except victory, yet every time he's actually on screen, he seems like a relatively calm and reasonable guy for a captain in wartime. There's a huge disconnect between other characters' descriptions of him and his portrayal by Jason Isaacs, and I doubt that Isaacs is the one creating it.
Just because Lorca is not screaming and threatening to jettison crew members out the airlock for failing or disagreeing with him doesn’t make him benevolent.

When the bridge crew failed the simulation, he didn’t sugar coat his disappointment or give them a pep talk. When Stamets argued with him over...everything...he doesn’t reason with him in a calm manner and doesn’t take no for an answer. As a matter of fact, I think Stamets is the main one who badmouths Lorca, mainly because he resents that the captain and Starfleet is forcing him to use his research for war and do things when he’s not ready.
post #954 of 1966 Old 10-14-2017, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Captains in every ST make ridiculous demands of their crews, and particularly of the engineering staff, all the time, so that's nothing new. I just think the onslaught of negative character assessments has been a bit hyperbolic and not in line with the character as portrayed thus far. Perhaps that will change next week after he tells Burnham that torturing aliens to make the spore drive work is hunky dory, as presumably it will lead to an altercation between them and reveal just how far he's willing to go.
unretarded likes this.
post #955 of 1966 Old 10-14-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Captains in every ST make ridiculous demands of their crews, and particularly of the engineering staff, all the time, so that's nothing new. I just think the onslaught of negative character assessments has been a bit hyperbolic and not in line with the character as portrayed thus far. Perhaps that will change next week after he tells Burnham that torturing aliens to make the spore drive work is hunky dory, as presumably it will lead to an altercation between them and reveal just how far he's willing to go.
Well, we've only seen him for a total of, what, 15 minutes in the last 2 episodes? I’m sure there will be more unpleasantness.

Last edited by hooked01; 10-14-2017 at 08:12 AM.
post #956 of 1966 Old 10-14-2017, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Captains in every ST make ridiculous demands of their crews, and particularly of the engineering staff, all the time, so that's nothing new....
"Starfleet captains are like children. They want everything right now and they want it their way. But the secret is to give them only what they need, not what they want."
-- Montgomery Scott
aaronwt likes this.
post #957 of 1966 Old 10-14-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
I don't know, he did capture and attempt to "weaponize" that creature. In all the scenes I've seen him in, he seems extremely driven, and a bit cold, though not ruthless. I don't think we've seen enough of him to know one way or the other yet ..
allargon likes this.
post #958 of 1966 Old 10-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
No studio in their right mind will mix a high profile drama like Star Trek in 2.0.
Right on, CBS just told me.

Quote:
We apologize for any inconvenience. CBS All Access only has stereo audio at this time. Our product teem is constantly working to improve the CBS All Access experience. We strive to roll out updates on a regular basis, so please check back very soon.
What a rip off! They aired the first episode on CBS on my Dish TV in full 5.1 surround. Then made you pay for the CBS All Access subscription to watch the remaining episodes in stereo. They didn't notify subscribers of this so IMO they owe us a refund until they fix the app. If I would have known this I would have waited until it hit Netflix or FirteTV. IMO any company that makes you pay for an app knowing it isn't fully functioning is stealing your money.
phildaant likes this.

Steve Ruddy
post #959 of 1966 Old 10-14-2017, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 268
^^Sadly, there's nothing wrong with their app. It is functioning exactly the way it was made to. 5.1 surround isn't available because that's how they want it (and I'm assuming all content on All Access is in stereo).

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #960 of 1966 Old 10-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ruddy View Post
Right on, CBS just told me.

What a rip off! They aired the first episode on CBS on my Dish TV in full 5.1 surround. Then made you pay for the CBS All Access subscription to watch the remaining episodes in stereo. They didn't notify subscribers of this so IMO they owe us a refund until they fix the app. If I would have known this I would have waited until it hit Netflix or FirteTV. IMO any company that makes you pay for an app knowing it isn't fully functioning is stealing your money.
Quote:

Quote:
We apologize for any inconvenience. CBS All Access only has stereo audio at this time. Our product teem is constantly working to improve the CBS All Access experience. We strive to roll out updates on a regular basis, so please check back very soon.
That's Outrageous!!!
Steve Ruddy, Don S and phildaant like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page