Star Trek: Discovery on CBS All Access - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2082Likes

post #991 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked: 2937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Back in the day I had many a Romulan Ale at Quarks Bar in Vegas. There's a reason it's outlawed by Starfleet. Throw in a mushroom drive, Kirk and a couple female green aliens and all bets are off. Warp core breach is imminent.
Warped my breach a few times watching DS9 or Voyager back in my Pacific NorthWest they are everywhere days.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
So, correct me if I'm wrong. There is some mushroom spoor network that somehow lives, interconnects and runs through the vacuum of all space. One can then use this spoor network to jump from place to place. Of course the Ripper makes it easier to do so. Before the jump, the saucer sections outer wheel spins rapidly around the central section, then the whole ship spins over and upside down, then jumps. Do I have that right so far? Sounds like a fun ride.
post #993 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
So, correct me if I'm wrong. There is some mushroom spoor network that somehow lives, interconnects and runs through the vacuum of all space. One can then use this spoor network to jump from place to place. Of course the Ripper makes it easier to do so. Before the jump, the saucer sections outer wheel spins rapidly around the central section, then the whole ship spins over and upside down, then jumps. Do I have that right so far? Sounds like a fun ride.
That pretty much sums up a StarTrek mushroom trip (or any mushroom trip for that matter)
shivaji, jfbar1 and Kev Greenhalgh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
I've sent a question to CBS All Access to ask why they are not broadcasting in Dolby 5.1 (at a minimum). Hopefully, they will reply and if so, I will post that later.
Because their app is based on Hulu's app, which is still in the 19th century when it comes to sound, and fourth year of graphic design school when it comes to the interface.
post #995 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Before the jump, the saucer sections outer wheel spins rapidly around the central section, then the whole ship spins over and upside down, then jumps. Do I have that right so far? Sounds like a fun ride.
The top plates of both the outer ring and the inner ring spin, but in opposite directions to each other. The ship then appearing to flip over and do silly pet tricks for a couple of seconds seems to be the spore drive warping them away. They established in the 4th episode that the Glenn's crew was Uzumaki'd as a result of some kind of navigational system failure, with the directional energies going into the crew and turning them into spiralized corpses. That was probably due to Ripper acting up.
post #996 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
I really enjoyed last night's episode and like the series overall. It has gotten better every week. The best scene, to my sentimental old eyes, occurred at the end when the Tardigrade was set free, re-hydrated itself, picked which road on the galactic highway it wanted and zoomed away. I assume that it was going home. It was just very nicely done.
Don S, PannyMann and audiofan1 like this.
post #997 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2080
It just hit me who spore boy reminds me of.....commander Tucker.......

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #998 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 100
How does one rehydrate in the vacume of space?
shivaji likes this.

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #999 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 02:36 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9318 Post(s)
Liked: 6002
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
With the Spores.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1000 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7111 Post(s)
Liked: 16048
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Warped my breach a few times watching DS9 or Voyager back in my Pacific NorthWest they are everywhere days.
Yeah, that 7 of 9 warped many a core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Magic mushrooms, man. *poof* rehydrated and hitting the intergalactic spore highway. BAM! You're really space truckin' now.
audiofan1 likes this.

post #1001 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Has there ever been an F bomb in any of the shows or movies? Let alone back to back F bombs. Lol. So now we know why the mushroom drive was never incorporated into other Starfleet ships. Kirk with shrooms would rock the galaxy. Sign me up for that.
Yeah. That was shocking. Not sure why, but it is creeping into shows bit by bit. They dropped the F bomb on Fear the Walking Dead last night too. It’s a bit jolting when you’re not expecting it. I have no problems with it for adult shows
post #1002 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
With the Spores.

Fair enough!

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #1003 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
And it can be used as a weapon to devastate multiple enemy ships all at once

F**** Cool episode big time character development, multiple characters came out in this one lol
Lorca is a Badass, Saru takes charge, Stamets is not such a dick afterall, Michael shows a soft side and Sylvia cracks me up
unretarded likes this.
post #1004 of 1966 Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
And it can be used as a weapon to devastate multiple enemy ships all at once

F**** Cool episode big time character development, multiple characters came out in this one lol
Lorca is a Badass, Saru takes charge, Stamets is not such a dick afterall, Michael shows a soft side and Sylvia cracks me up
And ... The Klingons spoke English! Truly a victory 😀
phildaant and unretarded like this.
post #1005 of 1966 Old 10-17-2017, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 2917
Quote:
Yeah, that 7 of 9 warped many a core.

Magic mushrooms, man. *poof* rehydrated and hitting the intergalactic spore highway. BAM! You're really space truckin' now.
7 of 9
phildaant likes this.
post #1006 of 1966 Old 10-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
And ... The Klingons spoke English! Truly a victory 😀
Yes! Forgot that one

Now if they can get rid of "GO" the button clearly says "ENGAGE"
Don S, phildaant and audiofan1 like this.
post #1007 of 1966 Old 10-17-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Spectacular visual effects for a weekly series!

Was especially impressed with the Klingon Raider semi-transparent ships.

Seems the Federation is now "folding space" using living creatures and spice... er... spores.... hmmmmm where have we seen that before

The Spores Must Flow!!

"we're still here!"
post #1008 of 1966 Old 10-18-2017, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1635
Quote:
There is some mushroom spoor network that somehow lives, interconnects and runs through the vacuum of all space.
That sequence explaining the spore drive reminded me of the CBS monologue writing trope, where whenever characters on a CBS show need to give a lengthy explanation for something, the writers just dice it into pieces and have characters randomly continue each other's sentences until all of the dialogue is delivered. It was almost like breaking the fourth wall in the way it brought home to me that the show was effectively on CBS.
post #1009 of 1966 Old 10-18-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Maybe the reason that spore drive didn't make it to the future is they make the "pilots" stupid crazy, Stamets is just beginning to show even more crazyness.. hehe

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1010 of 1966 Old 10-19-2017, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Just got caught up after being out for a while.

Wow, the special effects are still just stunning on this show. What in the world is their budget? Did they get more per episode because it is streaming or something? I am truly impressed with the visuals on this show and is light years (no pun intended) beyond anything else out there.
JoeTiVo and Don S like this.

post #1011 of 1966 Old 10-19-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
It just hit me who spore boy reminds me of.....commander Tucker.......
nah.... Alan Tudyk on the other hand......

https://www.google.com/search?q=Alan...w=1659&bih=818
Mr.6 likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #1012 of 1966 Old 10-19-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
nah.... Alan Tudyk on the other hand......

https://www.google.com/search?q=Alan...w=1659&bih=818
Or Mark from Rent.
post #1013 of 1966 Old 10-22-2017, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very much liked tonight's episode. I am beginning to root for a few of the characters now, and more each week seem likable. Michael and Lorca continue to get more character depth each week, and I the new security chief seems a good fit. The visuals and the effects continue to be excellent. The pacing was pretty good and the interaction between crew members feels a bit more organic each week IMO.

OTOH what I didn't like was the Klingons talking in Klingon again (for a bit anyway), and a few scene cuts that seemed a bit jarring - such as from the shuttle back and forth to Lorca and the Admiral.

I'm sure we'll hear both sides of the Vulcan part of the episode (Michael and the Katra of Sarek), but for me I loved the character building and the momentum this show has now, building toward the confrontation, all the while trying for peace. Lorca's falling back in line a bit at the end of the episode - checking with Starfleet first - as a result of the Admirals flogging might signal a small epiphany on his part . We'll see...
post #1014 of 1966 Old 10-22-2017, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Very much liked tonight's episode. I am beginning to root for a few of the characters now, and more each week seem likable. Michael and Lorca continue to get more character depth each week, and I the new security chief seems a good fit. The visuals and the effects continue to be excellent. The pacing was pretty good and the interaction between crew members feels a bit more organic each week IMO.

OTOH what I didn't like was the Klingons talking in Klingon again (for a bit anyway), and a few scene cuts that seemed a bit jarring - such as from the shuttle back and forth to Lorca and the Admiral.

I'm sure we'll hear both sides of the Vulcan part of the episode (Michael and the Katra of Sarek), but for me I loved the character building and the momentum this show has now, building toward the confrontation, all the while trying for peace. Lorca's falling back in line a bit at the end of the episode - checking with Starfleet first - as a result of the Admirals flogging might signal a small epiphany on his part . We'll see...
Sarek’s Choice was very interesting.

I didn’t think Lorca was behaving because the admiral hit him on the nose with a newspaper. I don’t think he knew that the Klingons were going to pull something, but he saw that it would work in his favor if the admiral didn’t make it back and he was not going to go get her.
aaronwt, Don S, allargon and 1 others like this.
post #1015 of 1966 Old 10-22-2017, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. The show is really picking up more steam with every new episode and tonight was no exception. I'm finding myself looking forward to Sunday night with Ray Donovan, John Oliver and now Star Trek Discovery added to the lineup.
aaronwt and Don S like this.
post #1016 of 1966 Old 10-23-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Wow, the special effects are still just stunning on this show. What in the world is their budget? Did they get more per episode because it is streaming or something?
The budget per episode was originally lower then what they finally settled on. Part of the increase was because of the fraught beginnings of the production, and part was that the Netflix deal dumped so much cash into the CBS coffers that they decided they could go all out -- that being $8 to $8.5 million per episode.

To give you a measure, that's around 3.5 times the average for a CW show, 2.5 time the average for a network show, and probably around 4x the per-episode cost for The Walking Dead.

There are more expensive shows -- Game Of Thrones now has a $12 million per episode budget (and season 8 may go even higher) and has been known to be really extravagant -- one episode had an approved budget of $58 million, as I recall, but they went all out with it (it was the episode where Stannis attacks King's Landing by sea, and gets a blast of wildfire for his troubles.) Westworld is running around $10 million per episode.

Contrast that lot with TOS, where the second season approved budget was $185,000 per episode (down from $196,000 the previous season.) Or original crispy Doctor Who's first season, which had an episode budget of around $3200 (eight hundred pounds, back when the pound meant something.)
post #1017 of 1966 Old 10-23-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Lorca's falling back in line a bit at the end of the episode - checking with Starfleet first - as a result of the Admirals flogging might signal a small epiphany on his part . We'll see...
Not if the phaser tucked into the back of his belt is any indication.
aaronwt, Don S, allargon and 1 others like this.
post #1018 of 1966 Old 10-23-2017, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldemusick View Post
Not if the phaser tucked into the back of his belt is any indication.
You're right. Good point.
post #1019 of 1966 Old 10-23-2017, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Sarek’s Choice was very interesting.

I didn’t think Lorca was behaving because the admiral hit him on the nose with a newspaper. I don’t think he knew that the Klingons were going to pull something, but he saw that it would work in his favor if the admiral didn’t make it back and he was not going to go get her.

interesting. Yes, that makes sense as well. Perhaps less of an epiphany than good strategy on his part :-)
audiofan1 likes this.
post #1020 of 1966 Old 10-23-2017, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Shoot, I forgot to watch this weeks episode. Anywhere I can catch up?
Don S likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page