Star Trek: Discovery on CBS All Access - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2195Likes

post #2071 of 2097 Old 02-17-2020, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5743 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
And his original post specifically says "in the captain's seat":

White Dudes
Kirk
Picard
Archer
Lorca
Pike

Nonwhite/Dudes
Janeway
Sisko
Georgiou (briefly)
if you take out Georgiou, Pike and Lorca who weren't really captains for any extended period of time nor the focus of any of the shows they were starring in then it's pretty even as far as white to non-white (you can make a case for Lorca being the focus of S1 of Discovery)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2097 Old 02-17-2020, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
if you take out Georgiou, Pike and Lorca who weren't really captains for any extended period of time nor the focus of any of the shows they were starring in then it's pretty even as far as white to non-white (you can make a case for Lorca being the focus of S1 of Discovery)
So one person of color (Sisko) versus four+ white (Kirk, Archer, Picard, Janeway and maybe Lorca) is even? Okay.
Ph8te and allargon like this.
post #2073 of 2097 Old 02-17-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
So one person of color (Sisko) versus four+ white (Kirk, Archer, Picard, Janeway and maybe Lorca) is even? Okay.
I said it's close...3-2...Kirk, Picard and Archer vs Sisko and Janeway (meaning non-male)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2097 Old 02-18-2020, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4993 Post(s)
Liked: 3983
Quote:
S1 felt like 2 separate shows- pre-mirror universe and post-mirror, with the latter being much more entertaining...it's easy to see where former showrunner Bryan Fuller and the new writers parted ways
Fuller is still credited as co-creator of the series, but he was canned before the pilot episode was even shot.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #2075 of 2097 Old 02-18-2020, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Are we still talking about ST or just the oppression Olympics? If the latter you just won, congrats!
maxleung likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #2076 of 2097 Old 02-18-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Fuller is still credited as co-creator of the series, but he was canned before the pilot episode was even shot.
regardless of when he actually departed the series I'm sure his ideas and story beats were used throughout the first season...he's also credited as co-writer of the first 3 episodes...S1 has a clear divide as far as story
post #2077 of 2097 Old 02-18-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
regardless of when he actually departed the series I'm sure his ideas and story beats were used throughout the first season...he's also credited as co-writer of the first 3 episodes...S1 has a clear divide as far as story
I'm not disagreeing about the story divide, but how much involvement Fuller really had and how much blame can be placed on him, I'm not sure. My understanding is that he was booted well before production began and his scripts were heavily rewritten. It felt to me like the new writers who replaced him struggled to figure out what kind of show they wanted Discovery to be, and didn't find their way until the Mirror Universe arc.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #2078 of 2097 Old 02-18-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing about the story divide, but how much involvement Fuller really had and how much blame can be placed on him, I'm not sure. My understanding is that he was booted well before production began and his scripts were heavily rewritten. It felt to me like the new writers who replaced him struggled to figure out what kind of show they wanted Discovery to be, and didn't find their way until the Mirror Universe arc.
I always heard that the main reasons he was removed was because he kept going over budget and CBS grew concerned about Fuller’s split commitments, notably with American Gods...that being said it seems CBS is still using Fuller's original template for the series...Bryan Fuller’s original pitch to CBS had the show starting in Discovery‘s time, but then moving through the eras of Kirk and Picard and then going beyond that, reaching a time period that hasn’t been seen in Star Trek before...it looks like Season 3 is doing that as far as the new time period
post #2079 of 2097 Old 02-19-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I always heard that the main reasons he was removed was because he kept going over budget and CBS grew concerned about Fuller’s split commitments, notably with American Gods...
Considering the number of times he's been fired from shows he created, I suspect that Bryan Fuller may be something of a pain in the a** to work with.

Quote:
that being said it seems CBS is still using Fuller's original template for the series...Bryan Fuller’s original pitch to CBS had the show starting in Discovery‘s time, but then moving through the eras of Kirk and Picard and then going beyond that, reaching a time period that hasn’t been seen in Star Trek before...it looks like Season 3 is doing that as far as the new time period
I would have loved to see Discovery make stops in the Kirk and Picard eras.

Josh Z

post #2080 of 2097 Old 02-19-2020, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Considering the number of times he's been fired from shows he created, I suspect that Bryan Fuller may be something of a pain in the a** to work with.

I would have loved to see Discovery make stops in the Kirk and Picard eras.
Still could possibly happen, as well as some sort of visit to the current ST:Pic series as well ... and , there's that "Section 31 future timeship from the Voyager episode, that could be a tie in as well ...
post #2081 of 2097 Old 02-21-2020, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I finally gave in and signed up for year of CBS All Access in order to watch Picard. Picard is lacking IMO. Discovery on the other hand, has been great. Just finished the first year with Season 2 waiting on my Roku.

When is Season 3 being released?
markmon1 likes this.
post #2082 of 2097 Old 02-21-2020, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked: 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
I finally gave in and signed up for year of CBS All Access in order to watch Picard. Picard is lacking IMO. Discovery on the other hand, has been great. Just finished the first year with Season 2 waiting on my Roku.

I like Picard but am not loving it. I love Discovery. Seasons 1 and 2. Lorca was my favorite captain of any series thus far.
eaayoung likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #2083 of 2097 Old 02-21-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Date not released yet.
aaronwt and eaayoung like this.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #2084 of 2097 Old 02-21-2020, 12:51 PM

The more I think of it, the clearer it seems that the producers must be planning a Pike/Spock spinoff. They built all those sets for the Enterprise, and made a point of explaining potential plot holes (like why the ship has no hologram communications) that never came up again and weren't terribly important, except if we're to see more of the ship in another show.

I hope this happens. Pike was the best part of season 2.
archiguy, aaronwt, Keenan and 2 others like this.

Josh Z

post #2085 of 2097 Old 02-21-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
The more I think of it, the clearer it seems that the producers must be planning a Pike/Spock spinoff. They built all those sets for the Enterprise, and made a point of explaining potential plot holes (like why the ship has no hologram communications) that never came up again and weren't terribly important, except if we're to see more of the ship in another show
CBS-AA might do a Pike spinoff...but that wasn't a plot hole as far as the holographic communication...ST: Discovery was doing that so it would match up with the Original Series...TOS along with TNG era, set a century after the events of The Original Series, still use viewscreens for communication
post #2086 of 2097 Old 02-24-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
CBS-AA might do a Pike spinoff...but that wasn't a plot hole as far as the holographic communication...ST: Discovery was doing that so it would match up with the Original Series...TOS along with TNG era, set a century after the events of The Original Series, still use viewscreens for communication
Yeah, I get the story logic. Nevertheless, there was really no reason to make a point of explaining this to viewers unless the producers plan to show a lot more of the Enterprise in the future.

Anyway, Viacom/CBS have confirmed that two more Trek series are in the works (on top of the previously announced Section 31). Details were not offered, but I bet one will be about Pike.
aaronwt likes this.

Josh Z

post #2087 of 2097 Old 02-24-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I get the story logic. Nevertheless, there was really no reason to make a point of explaining this to viewers unless the producers plan to show a lot more of the Enterprise in the future
there was a huge need to explain this illogical future technology on a show that is set 10 years before TOS...lots of hard core fans were up in arms over the fact that Discovery was using advanced tech...which is another reason why I believe that the show was wise to jump forward into the far future...too many things to explain/retcon by sticking to their original timeline
aaronwt, Don S, Zookster and 1 others like this.
post #2088 of 2097 Old 02-24-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
there was a huge need to explain this illogical future technology on a show that is set 10 years before TOS...lots of hard core fans were up in arms over the fact that Discovery was using advanced tech...which is another reason why I believe that the show was wise to jump forward into the far future...too many things to explain/retcon by sticking to their original timeline
Star Trek fans should be used to continuity issues like this after four seasons of Star Trek: Enterprise and three Abramsverse movies. The same problem affects almost any sci-fi franchise that adds a prequel entry (Star Wars prequels, Prometheus, etc.).
aaronwt likes this.

Josh Z

post #2089 of 2097 Old 02-28-2020, 11:37 AM

Season 3 has wrapped filming...

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/...34107052961792

so much for my hope that S3 would drop immediately after Picard ended (March 26th)...with all the post-production work needed on a show like this it might not be released until the Summer
aaronwt likes this.
post #2090 of 2097 Old 02-28-2020, 01:31 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 9818 Post(s)
Liked: 6487
Quote:
Season 3 has wrapped filming...

https://twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/...34107052961792

so much for my hope that S3 would drop immediately after Picard ended (March 26th)...with all the post-production work needed on a show like this it might not be released until the Summer
Weren't the previous seasons released in the Autumn?
If so then I would expect the same for season 3.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2091 of 2097 Old 02-28-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Weren't the previous seasons released in the Autumn?
If so then I would expect the same for season 3.
S1 was released in September 2017...S2 was January 2019
aaronwt likes this.
post #2092 of 2097 Old 03-23-2020, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 248
S3 delayed due to post-production shutdown.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/star-tr...d-wilson-cruz/
post #2093 of 2097 Old 03-23-2020, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6727 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
S3 delayed due to post-production shutdown.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/star-tr...d-wilson-cruz/
I guess the good news is that as long as principle filming is complete, post production can more easily be done in "social isolation". Applying visual effects, editing, sound design & scoring, that sort of thing.
post #2094 of 2097 Old 03-23-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I guess the good news is that as long as principle filming is complete, post production can more easily be done in "social isolation". Applying visual effects, editing, sound design & scoring, that sort of thing.
I'm sure some of this stuff can be done remotely, albeit probably more slowly depending on server access and connection issues.

Any scoring that uses a live orchestra would have to be recorded in person, however.

Josh Z

post #2095 of 2097 Old 03-23-2020, 01:55 PM

It seems that there's a limit to how much post-production work can be done remotely. The producers of Supernatural issued the following statement. I assume most shows face similar problems.

https://tvline.com/2020/03/23/supern...y-coronavirus/

As a result of the coronavirus-fueled production shutdown, “This will be our last episode for awhile,” Dabb wrote. He later clarified that although the series completed filming through Episode 18 — this week’s installment is Episode 13 — “our visual effects and sound departments have closed because of the outbreak. So, right now, the episodes can’t be finished.”

Josh Z

post #2096 of 2097 Old 03-23-2020, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6867 Post(s)
Liked: 6796
Quote:
It seems that there's a limit to how much post-production work can be done remotely. The producers of Supernatural issued the following statement. I assume most shows face similar problems.

https://tvline.com/2020/03/23/supern...y-coronavirus/

As a result of the coronavirus-fueled production shutdown, “This will be our last episode for awhile,” Dabb wrote. He later clarified that although the series completed filming through Episode 18 — this week’s installment is Episode 13 — “our visual effects and sound departments have closed because of the outbreak. So, right now, the episodes can’t be finished.”

I’m sure there are many others. Some got in just under the wire, but others will be left undone until things get better.
post #2097 of 2097 Old 03-26-2020, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I’m sure there are many others. Some got in just under the wire, but others will be left undone until things get better.
The CBS promo before E-10 Picard said about Discovery "Coming Soon." I don't know what that means in CBS speak.

7.4.6.2 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center), NAD (2nd set of surrounds), NAD (Top Middle, Top Surround), classic Klipsch speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page