post #61 of 73 Old 07-14-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

So, does anyone know what the timeline is for what we've seen so far? Being I grew up on the East Coast, I assume I never saw the stuff they've shown so far as that wouldn't have been broadcast by me.

Curious to see if the LV move and the need to reinvent their characters starts bringing in the ones I at least remember.
There's a good documentary on GLOW I finally watched last night after watching the season 2 finale. I've never had any interest in wrestling until this Netflix show, and watching it and the GLOW documentary has given me a new appreciation.

It's apparent that the fictional version has taken certain elements from the real GLOW and then altered and adapted them. I was actually surprised to see many of the one-to-one parallels, including the old lady tag-team act transforming into something harder edged. The large and strong Pacific Islander character. A Russian character. A controversial, edgy director. A real male wrestler from a family of wrestlers training the women. The women living together. etc.

As far as the timeline goes, I seem to recall something in season two that indicated it was 1985. The real GLOW started in 1986.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 07-15-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
There's a good documentary on GLOW I finally watched last night after watching the season 2 finale. I've never had any interest in wrestling until this Netflix show, and watching it and the GLOW documentary has given me a new appreciation.

It's apparent that the fictional version has taken certain elements from the real GLOW and then altered and adapted them. I was actually surprised to see many of the one-to-one parallels, including the old lady tag-team act transforming into something harder edged. The large and strong Pacific Islander character. A Russian character. A controversial, edgy director. A real male wrestler from a family of wrestlers training the women. The women living together. etc.

As far as the timeline goes, I seem to recall something in season two that indicated it was 1985. The real GLOW started in 1986.
I'll have to check out the documentary as well. It's clear to me that certain wrestlers are based on the real GLOW girls. Machu Picchu = Mt. Fiji, Zoya = Colonel Ninotchka, Beirut = Little Egypt, Fortune Cookie = Little Fiji, etc.
Will be interesting to see if they actually start using real personas since they can't use the ones we've known through 2 seasons.

I'm guessing this move to LV will still be before the nationally known GLOW as it's not going to be televised. My guess, they get noticed and are given a new TV contract next season, thus the birth of the GLOW we knew.

Last edited by Tom Imp; 07-15-2018 at 12:03 PM.
post #63 of 73 Old 07-15-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
I'll have to check out the documentary as well. It's clear to me that certain wrestlers are based on the real GLOW girls. Machu Picchu = Mt. Fiji, Zoya = Colonel Ninotchka, Beirut = Little Egypt, Fortune Cookie = Little Fiji, etc.
Will be interesting to see if they actually start using real personas since they can't use the ones we've known through 2 seasons.

I'm guessing this move to LV will still be before the nationally known GLOW as it's not going to be televised. My guess, they get noticed and are given a new TV contract next season, thus the birth of the GLOW we knew.
According to the GLOW documentary, there were about 35 women in GLOW, but according to Wikipedia page, there were over 80 different characters, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see the women in the Netflix series all change characters to get back on TV. Machu Picchu could in fact become Mount Fiji.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 73 Old 07-15-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
According to the GLOW documentary, there were about 35 women in GLOW, but according to Wikipedia page, there were over 80 different characters, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see the women in the Netflix series all change characters to get back on TV. Machu Picchu could in fact become Mount Fiji.
That’s what I thought they would do,invent new characters and go to another network.

Display : JVC X7000 Projector | SE 103" Enlightor 4k | LG 65B6 OLED |
Sources : Panasonic UDP 700 & Vertex| Apple TV4k | HTPC | Sky Q UHD Satellite | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802A | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Sub Master/Slave |
post #65 of 73 Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched the documentary yesterday. Was good to relive those memories, but didn't need to see Susie Spirit's elbow again. Saw it enough back then as it seemingly ran on a loop when it happened.

Seeing Mt. Fiji these days was sad, but was happy to see she was able to make it to that reunion. I'd be lying though if I said I didn't tear up when she entered the room and all the women were waiting for her.
Interesting to hear that in real life she had a crush on the main director (Sam) and not the benefactor (Bash) like they have on the show.

Oh, and add one more to the "who they may become" pile. After seeing Britannica come out on that unicorn for the wedding, I immediately remembered Godiva, so I could see those two being the same person.
allargon and Zookster like this.
post #66 of 73 Old 08-20-2018, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked: 3743
GLOW Renewed for Season 3

Netflix has renewed the Emmy nominated series for a Las Vegas-set 3rd season...

https://tvline.com/2018/08/20/glow-r...son-3-netflix/
post #67 of 73 Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
Netflix Almost Cancelled GLOW After Season 1 — Here's Why (Report)
By Michael Ausiello, TVLine.com - Nov. 19, 2018

Netflix reportedly came thisclose to body-slamming GLOW into oblivion after the series’ acclaimed first season. According to the Wall Street Journal, the streamer seriously considered pulling the plug on the Emmy-nominated wrestling dramedy due to disappointing ratings.

“There were serious conversations from the tech side pressuring the Hollywood side not to renew it for a second season,” a source tells the paper. However, creative execs at Netflix — citing GLOW‘s critical acclaim and the importance of remaining on good terms with exec producer Jenji Kohan — reportedly argued that it was worth keeping the show alive.

The creative folks won out; GLOW was ultimately renewed for a second (and third) season. Its first season was also nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series; it lost the top prize to The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Per WSJ, Kohan believed Netflix’s initial marketing plan for GLOW — which catered to men vs. women — was to blame for Season 1’s (alleged) low ratings. (It’s worth noting that Netflix does not make public its ratings data.)

In response to the WSJ piece, a Netflix spokesperson tells TVLine, “We are tremendously proud of GLOW, and were happy to bring it back for its award-winning second season and again for its upcoming third.”

https://tvline.com/2018/11/19/glow-c...tflix-ratings/

post #68 of 73 Old 06-03-2019, 09:24 AM

Season 3 date announcement (August 9).

vpn75, gwsat, dougotte and 1 others like this.

post #69 of 73 Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 AM

Geena Davis joins the cast.

Zookster likes this.

post #70 of 73 Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked: 5758
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I agree that Geena Davis should be a great addition to the show. This leaves me wondering, though, whether there is any crying in women's wrestling?
Aliens likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #71 of 73 Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm guessing Geena Davis will play Jackie Stallone's character.
post #72 of 73 Old 06-12-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've taken a two-month hiatus from Netflix while I focus on shows on HBO Now, Prime, and CBS All Access, but I'll definitely be back for this.
post #73 of 73 Old 06-17-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked: 3743
Season 3 trailer...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page