'The Tick' on Amazon - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 02-23-2018, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7250 Post(s)
Liked: 16482
Watched a couple of the new episodes in 4K HDR. They go quick. Was nice seeing hearing Townsend Coleman (the original Tick) get in on this.

Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 08-20-2018, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Season 2 Comic-Con Featurette - Behind the Scenes Tour

post #33 of 50 Old 02-27-2019, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5168 Post(s)
Liked: 4636
Season 2 trailer...

Dmon4u likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 02-28-2019, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Spoon!!

post #35 of 50 Old 04-04-2019, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Naughty spawn you face The Tick. Evil is afoot and big blue has the shoe. Season 2 is now on Prime. And it looks really good in HDR.

post #36 of 50 Old 04-05-2019, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked: 2514
The Tick boss teases season 2's 'merry-go-round' of superhero adventures

After a long hiatus, Amazon’s superhero satire The Tick is returning to the small screen for another round of butt-ticking. (Sorry.) This time, the Tick (Peter Serafinowicz) and Arthur (Griffin Newman) won’t be facing the Terror; instead they have to put up with bureaucracy in the form of AEGIS, a SHIELD-like organization that’s returned to the City to monitor the rise of a bevy of new superheroes. As creator and showrunner Ben Edlund puts it to EW, “The merry-go-round is spinning faster, with more horses.”
Below, Edlund dives into what to expect from season 2 now that the origin story’s over.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: It’s been more than a year since we’ve seen the Tick and company. What were your goals going into this season to drive the story forward?
BEN EDLUND:
In the first season, Arthur was very much a reluctant hero being shoved along the hero’s journey. Now, [the Tick and Arthur] are in, and they’re trying to build their superhero career. [Their superhero partnership] is up and running, which is really the spirit of the second season. The question is, how will they do? One of the other goals that I think I had was world-building — being able to expand the world and add characters and AEGIS, the superhero government regulation agency.

There are so many more characters this time around. How did you go about choosing who you want to feature without overwhelming your audience?
It’s a crazy world. You can easily hit too much. Part of it was waiting until the story needed a character and then finding the right character for that moment.

What about the threats? The trailer teased Ms. Lint [Yara Martinez] embarking on a “spree-vil.” What else will our heroes be up against?
What’s fun about this year for all of us when we were working on it is, the first season was, “Where is the Terror and how can we bring down the Terror?” and this season really gets to be a lot of other things. They face a variety of villains, and it’s not quite a monster a week, but we really get more of a richness of universe. There is a bank-robbing crustacean called Lobstercules — who came out great, by the way — that comes from a long history of villains in pants, where one half is a crazy mutant monster thing and the other half just remembers to put on pants for some reason. [Laughs] And of course Ms. Lint has her villainous rise, with gang operations and other villainous elements that assert themselves as they move forward. It’s a very dense gathering of different interesting, intricate stories. I’m excited to see how people receive it.

Looking back on season 1, were there any aspects you learned from making the first season that you brought into the second? For example, did any characters’ chemistry work so well you knew wanted to capitalize on it more?
We really enjoy Dot [played by Valorie Curry] and Overkill [Scott Speiser], and I think the audience did too. So they have a continuing story line that goes a lot of cool places. Also, one of the things that we both learned from season 1 but is a sort of a straightforward evolution from season 1 is Dot as a character: She’s found a means of coming into her own, of finding her own story.

That was our intent, but we really had to get a lot of other stuff out of the way [for that to happen]. It was an adventure in learning, to really make what is normally like the handmaiden to the adventurer, the sister, into a fully fleshed character that really competes with the other characters for where the story goes. There were upheavals, timely upheavals of certain dynamics, including gender dynamics, that have really felt like they were teaching us about places that we should be taking that character. I’m happy with what happened.

Is there anything else you want to add?
In essence, season 1 is lots of fun, but in season 2, because we’ve gotten to day one of Arthur and the Tick’s superhero career, we get to have more fun. [Laughs] It’s just more fun! Turns out, we found more fun than we had last season! [Laughs] So I’m pretty excited. I’m not dissing last season, we really enjoyed it. The incline continues.

The Tick returns April 5 on Amazon Prime Video.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/04/the-tic...ew-ben-edlund/

post #37 of 50 Old 04-14-2019, 11:31 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 538
I blasted through this season in a couple days. There were two jokes that stood out. The Buddhist joke and black and white view. Great jokes. Whoever was responsible deserves a back clap.
post #38 of 50 Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I just killed off the season this morning. I don't recall those two jokes. The two things I found the most funny were the rubber bands on the lobster monster and the dancing. All in all a good season even better than last season.
Josh Z likes this.
post #39 of 50 Old 04-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Im gonna rewatch and post the dialogue for both. I dont remember if it was the same ep. But, I suspect it was by the same writer.
post #40 of 50 Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Ep2 Dot is talking to Overkill about his Duke mission.

Dot: Why is everything so black and white with you?

Overkill: My eyes are cybernetic, I can't change the settings.

Ep1 Overkill is trying to get Tick to unwish his no-kill requirement.

Overkill: What are you trying to do, turn me into a god damn buddhist?!

Tick: Boots, shoes, it's not about the footwear, man! It's about the path!
Josh Z likes this.
post #41 of 50 Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4478 Post(s)
Liked: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
I just killed off the season this morning. I don't recall those two jokes. The two things I found the most funny were the rubber bands on the lobster monster and the dancing. All in all a good season even better than last season.
The rubber band thing killed me.

Also loved the running gag about Doctor Agent Hobbes' job title. "It's Agent Commander Doctor Agent Hobbes... No, wait, Acting Agent Commander Doctor Agent Hobbes. You'll get it."

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #42 of 50 Old 04-15-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
The dancing bit was awesome. One of the things I love about this show is that you never know what kind of absurd thing will popup at any time. It's full of surprises.
post #43 of 50 Old 04-15-2019, 08:03 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Doctor Agent Hobbes. Is his name Agent?
Or maybe his title is Doctor Agent?
post #44 of 50 Old 04-16-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4478 Post(s)
Liked: 3404
Another thing I loved was Superian on the moon, thinking about Arthur's advice that he needs to center himself: "He's right. I need to be more self-centered."

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #45 of 50 Old 05-16-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2254
"I'm sorry to say Amazon has chosen not to proceed with TheTick TV I'm not sorry to say I love this show, its cast, its story, and its message. Destiny demands that my compatriots and I now seek a new home for this series."

https://twitter.com/ben_edlund/statu...86411833921536

Last edited by puddy77; 05-16-2019 at 01:54 PM.
post #46 of 50 Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

That's like a punch in the breadbasket by evil itself. This was a fun show. I hope it finds a new home. Evil is afoot and we need big blue and his ever vigilant band of consorts to keep the streets safe.

post #47 of 50 Old 05-16-2019, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3925 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
We need a dance-off.
post #48 of 50 Old 05-16-2019, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6331 Post(s)
Liked: 6998
This show was a pale imitation of Patrick Warburton's Tick series anyway. That one was much funnier.
post #49 of 50 Old 05-16-2019, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
This show was a pale imitation of Patrick Warburton's Tick series anyway. That one was much funnier.
I highly recommend the pilot episode of Warburton's version of The Tick to anyone who wants to see the funniest and best adaptation of the material. The great Christopher Lloyd did a cameo as Arthur's day job boss in that version that had me ROTFL...and Pat Warburton was absolutely "spot on" in every one of his scenes.

This latest adaptation did have it's moments though. I'll miss seeing Yara Martinez as "Ms. Lint," the bad girl who's constantly (and unintentionally) frustrated and upstaged by bumbling good guys. And then there was "Dangerboat," which managed to steal scenes and seemed more human than a lot of the characters...and it was just an A.I.!

Hopefully before too long we'll see someone attempt another adaptation of The Tick, possibly in animated form again!

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #50 of 50 Old 06-16-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2254
In case anyone was holding out hope...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV Notes (Streaming)
‘The Tick’ Really Is Dead, Creator Confirms No New Network Stepped Up After Amazon Cancellation
By Jeremy Fuster, TheWrap.com - Jun. 15, 2019

Sad day for fans of “The Tick,” as series creator Ben Edlund announced on Twitter that the show won’t be brought back by a new network after Amazon’s cancellation.

“After much door-knocking we have found no new home for the Tick series in this current market,” Edlund tweeted on Friday “#SaveTheTick & #LunaTickArmy , I’m sorry we could not reward your glorious support with better news. I am so proud of the show, of the cast and crew and writers, and so warmed by the fans.”

“We will look for other opportunities to continue this story with this cast, but the current series must I’m afraid come to its end.”

Even in a pop culture landscape overloaded with superhero movies, tv shows, and streaming series, “The Tick” stood out as one of the most unapologetically silly and campy takes on the genre. Starring Peter Serafinowicz as the insect-emulating, blue suit wearing, melodramatic superhero, the show followed a timid office temp named Arthur (Griffin Newman), who becomes The Tick’s unexpected sidekick in his quest to defeat the evil supervillain The Terror.

The show’s second season was released in April to strong reviews, but it wasn’t enough to prevent Amazon from announcing its cancellation last month. Edlund promised to shop “The Tick” around, but despite his efforts and a passionate social media campaign from fans, it seems that The Tick and Arthur have just spent their last adventure together.

…at least for now. The Amazon series wasn’t the first time “The Tick” made it to television. The superhero parody was first created into an animated series in 1994, and later into a live-action Fox series starring Patrick Warburton in 2001. The Tick has been swatted down before, and in due time he has risen again. Perhaps that will give some comfort to fans mourning his departure.

“Please continue to choose love and hope for good things,” Edlund tweeted. “And I think we might as well accept it as a law of the universe: when the time is right #TheTick always comes back…”

https://www.thewrap.com/the-tick-rea...-cancellation/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page