AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   'The Tick' on Amazon (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/2885497-tick-amazon.html)

Waboman 07-02-2017 10:48 AM

'The Tick' on Amazon
 
SPOON!!!

Fear not, fair Citizens! The Tick premieres on Amazon Prime Video August 25, 2017



Mr.G 07-02-2017 12:17 PM

I hope the series is better than the pilot I watched.

DrDon 07-02-2017 03:54 PM

For me, nothing will beat Townsend Coleman in the cartoon. Does this one get to use Die Fledermaus and American Maid? Don't see them on IMDB. I know producers of the Patrick Warburton version couldn't get the rights. So, we got Bat Manuel and Captain Liberty, instead.

VisionOn 07-02-2017 04:04 PM

Wasn't a fan of the pilot. Serafinowicz doesn't fill the costume or shoes as well as Warburton did.

It was lacking the colorful cartoon feel of the previous show and looked cheap too. As if they just made a badly fitting costume, threw it on Serafinowicz and then pointed a camera at him as he wandered around the city. Kind of like watching the daily life of a Hollywood Boulevard superhero street performer. It was just lacking the surreal and ridiculousness of the source.

I might revisit if any of the future clips look funnier or just more crazy.

archiguy 07-02-2017 04:11 PM

The "original" with Patrick Warburton was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. His deadpan delivery coupled with the utter ridiculousness of that costume were priceless and irreplaceable. It was unrelentingly hysterical, and the supporting cast was just superb ("Moist" :D). I pull the DVD set out every few years when I desperately need an direct endorphin injection. This year, about every month. I think it's one of the things that's giving me the will to live.

DrDon 07-02-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archiguy (Post 54016057)
The "original" with Patrick Warburton was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. His deadpan delivery coupled with the utter ridiculousness of that costume were priceless and irreplaceable. It was unrelentingly hysterical, and the supporting cast was just superb ("Moist" :D). I pull the DVD set out every few years when I desperately need an direct endorphin injection. This year, about every month. I think it's one of the things that's giving me the will to live.

I still have the prototype "toy" they planned to release but never did. It's a Tick plushie fashioned after Warburton featuring a voicebox that, Chatty Cathy style, played various Tick phrases. His voice, his image. I trot it out for friends who look at me as if I've lost my mind. Small group, us "Tick" fans.

archiguy 07-02-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDon (Post 54019465)
I still have the prototype "toy" they planned to release but never did. It's a Tick plushie fashioned after Warburton featuring a voicebox that, Chatty Cathy style, played various Tick phrases. His voice, his image. I trot it out for friends who look at me as if I've lost my mind. Small group, us "Tick" fans.

How much do you want for it? I'll even throw in my cat. She's one helluva mouser. :p

Waboman 07-02-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDon (Post 54019465)
I still have the prototype "toy" they planned to release but never did. It's a Tick plushie fashioned after Warburton featuring a voicebox that, Chatty Cathy style, played various Tick phrases. His voice, his image. I trot it out for friends who look at me as if I've lost my mind. Small group, us "Tick" fans.

I'm making gravy without the lumps! I don't have any prototypes, but I do have the snot Tick. Lol. IIRC, in the cartoon series The Tick had a cold and sneezed on this alien who later took the form of evil Tick.... but he was made out of snot.:D I hope they get the rights to all the great characters. Like the Evil Midnight Bomber what Bombs at Midnight! Classic. I leave you with my 16" of blue man manliness.

DrDon 07-03-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archiguy (Post 54020529)
How much do you want for it? I'll even throw in my cat. She's one helluva mouser. :p

Given that I have parrots, you can keep the cat :D

archiguy 07-03-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDon (Post 54025281)
Given that I have parrots, you can keep the cat :D

They're safe; they're too big to mess with. Cats never pick on critters their own size. They're like the bullies of the pet world. :p

DrDon 07-03-2017 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archiguy (Post 54025617)
They're safe; they're too big to mess with. Cats never pick on critters their own size. They're like the bullies of the pet world. :p

We have neighbors who like to walk their cat, but the cat won't come out of the house if my cockatoo's on the porch. I'm pretty sure that first screech was more than enough for that cat's ears.

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure where The Tick is packed. It's either here or still in Detroit. The antennas.. well, those might take longer to find. #parrots :)

Waboman 07-03-2017 11:28 AM

For some reason I never got around to watching the Warburton series when it aired. So after torturing myself with Fear the Walking Dead I watched the first episode of Warburton's The Tick last night. Not bad. I see they only made 9 episodes.

archiguy 07-03-2017 12:27 PM

Don't stop now! It was definitely on the "cancelled too soon - WTF?" list. You'll see.

Waboman 08-23-2017 10:15 PM

This Friday. Spooooon!:D



Waboman 08-26-2017 11:59 AM

Watched episode 2 last night. It had me smiling. Thought I heard an F bomb and there was definitely some gore. This isn't your grandma's Tick.:D

VisionOn 08-27-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waboman (Post 54697000)
Watched episode 2 last night. It had me smiling. Thought I heard an F bomb and there was definitely some gore. This isn't your grandma's Tick.:D

Gonna need more reports back from the frontlines before I make a decision to watch it. Is it silly? As funny as the Warburton show? Do other superheroes appear? What us the "Spoon!" count per episode?

:D

DrDon 08-27-2017 09:58 PM

I'm only two episodes in. "Spoon" isn't in, yet. Nor are other superheroes besides Superion (though I looked ahead on IMDB and see at least one that looks ...typically funny. I won't spoil it, but the name still makes me laugh) What I DO like is.. they actually fight evil. There's action.. which differs from what I call the "coffee shop" atmosphere of the Warburton series. Best part is Tick's dialogue. While not as good as the animated series soliloquies, the Tick's "monologues," if you will, are pretty darn funny. I always like it when a line delivered as a throwaway makes me pause the show to laugh. This does that.

Again.. just two episodes into it. I could change my mind. Still wish Warburton was doing this run, too. He IS listed as a producer, though.

Waboman 08-28-2017 11:08 AM

Finished the series. It's only six 30 minute episodes. I quite enjoyed it. With every episode it gets better. Like the Doc said Tick's dialog is great. His take on secret identities is funny. I hope they already have a S2 in the works because they left this with a big cliffhanger. As for Spoon!
Spoiler!


Edit: Looks like they're splitting the season up. Explains the cliffhanger ending.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-ticks-cr...ing-1798476964

archiguy 08-28-2017 01:20 PM

So, what's the verdict on this one vs. Warburton's Tick? Funnier? Without "Batmanuel"??

Waboman 08-28-2017 02:46 PM

I liked it. Serafinowicz does a really good job of becoming The Tick. I've only seen a few episodes of the Warburton series and Batmanuel was great. We haven't seen any other superheroes (besides Superion) make an appearance yet. After the Fab Five were crushed by The Terror the city has been without Supers. Would be great if Ben pulled out Die Fledermaus, American Maid, The Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight and Chairface Chippendale. The guys head is a chair.:D I wonder if Ben owns the rights to those guys. IIRC none were in the Warburton series either.

DrDon 08-28-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waboman (Post 54706764)
I wonder if Ben owns the rights to those guys. IIRC none were in the Warburton series either.

Disney got the rights when they bought out Fox Kids programming, which is why we got Bat Manuel, et al during the Warburton series. I'd think he could bring Bat back as it's all still on Fox. But maybe he wants to just start fresh. At least Arthur's safe. Hard for Disney to trademark the name Arthur. I don't recall, but I don't think they ever used the name "Mothman" during the Warburton series, either.

Even if Die Fledermaus is gone, a "super hero" who either has an arm in a sling or conveniently finds a way to avoid doing any actual evil-fighting is still pretty funny.

At least give us a moon with a "CH" carved in it. Just put it in a scene without explanation. I'll laugh.

Waboman 08-30-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDon (Post 54706880)
Disney got the rights when they bought out Fox Kids programming, which is why we got Bat Manuel, et al during the Warburton series. I'd think he could bring Bat back as it's all still on Fox. But maybe he wants to just start fresh. At least Arthur's safe. Hard for Disney to trademark the name Arthur. I don't recall, but I don't think they ever used the name "Mothman" during the Warburton series, either.

Even if Die Fledermaus is gone, a "super hero" who either has an arm in a sling or conveniently finds a way to avoid doing any actual evil-fighting is still pretty funny.

At least give us a moon with a "CH" carved in it. Just put it in a scene without explanation. I'll laugh.

Didn't realize Disney bought out the rights. Is there anything the Mouse doesn't own?

Yrd 09-02-2017 06:31 PM

I liked the show, not a huge tick fan, but I enjoyed it. Caught a few of the Warburton series back when it was fresh, but never really stuck with me.

I have to say, IMO, it's a perfect fit for Warburton.


The Warburton set is on Netflix (might be Prime) now and I'm going through it.

Pablorock 09-06-2017 10:10 AM

I just watched the first 6 episodes and I thought it was good. Not super great, but worth watching. Warburton definitely made a better Tick, but this guy wasn't bad (plus I think Warburton is good in everything he does). I just did some searching, and apparently they split the season into 2 parts. This sort of ended on a cliff hanger and the rest of the season should continue early next year. Hopefully they won't make us wait too long or we'll just forget about it.

archiguy 09-06-2017 10:41 AM

I'm three episodes in and can safely say this one isn't qualified to carry Warburton's antenna. A few chuckles here and there, but no side-splitting belly laughs as from the previous version. Some of that is certainly due to the lack of the original's stellar co-stars, some of it is because Serafinowicz ain't no Warburton, some of it is probably due to the darker tone (and what's with all the cursing?). But I suspect it's mostly due to uninspired writing. These guys just may simply not be funny, or understand what it was that made the original so hi-larious. Disclaimer: I never saw the animated version so cannot speak to that one's humor level.

Unless it dramatically picks up the mirth in the back three episodes, I'd have to give this one a disappointing grade. :(

steve1106 09-06-2017 02:53 PM

After (solo) binge re-watching the Warburton's original take on the tick and watching the new series' pilot, I bought the girls (family) down for another showing of the pilot and they stuck through all six episodes. Afterwards I had to look up the reason for the change from 2.4:1 in the pilot to 2:1 for the next five and I assume the rest of season 1. Per the director, The Tick's antennae were too limited by the scope format and 2:1 solved the problem.

So Warburton was a much better Tick along with having a better Arthur/supporting cast (except the sister/mother), but I thought that the overall story of the new series much...much better. :) I just wish they had offered the whole season at once since it has become our preferred (or deferred...can't stand 13 weeks of one episode at a time now) way of watching.:(

Waboman 09-21-2017 11:22 AM

Finished the Warburton series last night. I gotta say, it's pretty darn funny. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the lines. While I do enjoy this new Tick, Warburton was awesome as big blue. As were the whole cast. BatManuel is classic. I can't believe they only made 9 episodes. Wth?

Waboman 02-09-2018 07:17 PM

Amazon has picked up The Tick for a season two to air in 2019. Amazon will premiere the highly anticipated second half of The Tick’s first season on Feb. 23, 2018, featuring six all-new episodes of the show. SPOON!!

https://variety.com/2018/digital/new...os-1202666868/

Waboman 02-17-2018 03:49 PM


BCRSS 02-22-2018 03:16 PM

New episodes starting on the 23rd.




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.