post #1 of 50 Old 07-02-2017, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7244 Post(s)
Liked: 16468
'The Tick' on Amazon

SPOON!!!

Fear not, fair Citizens! The Tick premieres on Amazon Prime Video August 25, 2017

Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 07-02-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 1884
I hope the series is better than the pilot I watched.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #3 of 50 Old 07-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 4458
For me, nothing will beat Townsend Coleman in the cartoon. Does this one get to use Die Fledermaus and American Maid? Don't see them on IMDB. I know producers of the Patrick Warburton version couldn't get the rights. So, we got Bat Manuel and Captain Liberty, instead.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 07-02-2017, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Wasn't a fan of the pilot. Serafinowicz doesn't fill the costume or shoes as well as Warburton did.

It was lacking the colorful cartoon feel of the previous show and looked cheap too. As if they just made a badly fitting costume, threw it on Serafinowicz and then pointed a camera at him as he wandered around the city. Kind of like watching the daily life of a Hollywood Boulevard superhero street performer. It was just lacking the surreal and ridiculousness of the source.

I might revisit if any of the future clips look funnier or just more crazy.

post #5 of 50 Old 07-02-2017, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6316 Post(s)
Liked: 6972
The "original" with Patrick Warburton was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. His deadpan delivery coupled with the utter ridiculousness of that costume were priceless and irreplaceable. It was unrelentingly hysterical, and the supporting cast was just superb ("Moist" ). I pull the DVD set out every few years when I desperately need an direct endorphin injection. This year, about every month. I think it's one of the things that's giving me the will to live.
DrDon likes this.
post #6 of 50 Old 07-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The "original" with Patrick Warburton was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. His deadpan delivery coupled with the utter ridiculousness of that costume were priceless and irreplaceable. It was unrelentingly hysterical, and the supporting cast was just superb ("Moist" ). I pull the DVD set out every few years when I desperately need an direct endorphin injection. This year, about every month. I think it's one of the things that's giving me the will to live.
I still have the prototype "toy" they planned to release but never did. It's a Tick plushie fashioned after Warburton featuring a voicebox that, Chatty Cathy style, played various Tick phrases. His voice, his image. I trot it out for friends who look at me as if I've lost my mind. Small group, us "Tick" fans.

post #7 of 50 Old 07-02-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I still have the prototype "toy" they planned to release but never did. It's a Tick plushie fashioned after Warburton featuring a voicebox that, Chatty Cathy style, played various Tick phrases. His voice, his image. I trot it out for friends who look at me as if I've lost my mind. Small group, us "Tick" fans.
How much do you want for it? I'll even throw in my cat. She's one helluva mouser.
post #8 of 50 Old 07-02-2017, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm making gravy without the lumps! I don't have any prototypes, but I do have the snot Tick. Lol. IIRC, in the cartoon series The Tick had a cold and sneezed on this alien who later took the form of evil Tick.... but he was made out of snot. I hope they get the rights to all the great characters. Like the Evil Midnight Bomber what Bombs at Midnight! Classic. I leave you with my 16" of blue man manliness.
Spoiler!
DrDon and archiguy like this.

post #9 of 50 Old 07-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
How much do you want for it? I'll even throw in my cat. She's one helluva mouser.
Given that I have parrots, you can keep the cat

post #10 of 50 Old 07-03-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Given that I have parrots, you can keep the cat
They're safe; they're too big to mess with. Cats never pick on critters their own size. They're like the bullies of the pet world.
post #11 of 50 Old 07-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
They're safe; they're too big to mess with. Cats never pick on critters their own size. They're like the bullies of the pet world.
We have neighbors who like to walk their cat, but the cat won't come out of the house if my cockatoo's on the porch. I'm pretty sure that first screech was more than enough for that cat's ears.

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure where The Tick is packed. It's either here or still in Detroit. The antennas.. well, those might take longer to find. #parrots

post #12 of 50 Old 07-03-2017, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

For some reason I never got around to watching the Warburton series when it aired. So after torturing myself with Fear the Walking Dead I watched the first episode of Warburton's The Tick last night. Not bad. I see they only made 9 episodes.

post #13 of 50 Old 07-03-2017, 12:27 PM

Don't stop now! It was definitely on the "cancelled too soon - WTF?" list. You'll see.
post #14 of 50 Old 08-23-2017, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

This Friday. Spooooon!

allargon likes this.

post #15 of 50 Old 08-26-2017, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Watched episode 2 last night. It had me smiling. Thought I heard an F bomb and there was definitely some gore. This isn't your grandma's Tick.

post #16 of 50 Old 08-27-2017, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Watched episode 2 last night. It had me smiling. Thought I heard an F bomb and there was definitely some gore. This isn't your grandma's Tick.
Gonna need more reports back from the frontlines before I make a decision to watch it. Is it silly? As funny as the Warburton show? Do other superheroes appear? What us the "Spoon!" count per episode?

post #17 of 50 Old 08-27-2017, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

I'm only two episodes in. "Spoon" isn't in, yet. Nor are other superheroes besides Superion (though I looked ahead on IMDB and see at least one that looks ...typically funny. I won't spoil it, but the name still makes me laugh) What I DO like is.. they actually fight evil. There's action.. which differs from what I call the "coffee shop" atmosphere of the Warburton series. Best part is Tick's dialogue. While not as good as the animated series soliloquies, the Tick's "monologues," if you will, are pretty darn funny. I always like it when a line delivered as a throwaway makes me pause the show to laugh. This does that.

Again.. just two episodes into it. I could change my mind. Still wish Warburton was doing this run, too. He IS listed as a producer, though.

post #18 of 50 Old 08-28-2017, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Finished the series. It's only six 30 minute episodes. I quite enjoyed it. With every episode it gets better. Like the Doc said Tick's dialog is great. His take on secret identities is funny. I hope they already have a S2 in the works because they left this with a big cliffhanger. As for Spoon!
Spoiler!

Edit: Looks like they're splitting the season up. Explains the cliffhanger ending.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-ticks-cr...ing-1798476964

Last edited by Waboman; 08-28-2017 at 12:58 PM.
post #19 of 50 Old 08-28-2017, 01:20 PM

So, what's the verdict on this one vs. Warburton's Tick? Funnier? Without "Batmanuel"??
post #20 of 50 Old 08-28-2017, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

I liked it. Serafinowicz does a really good job of becoming The Tick. I've only seen a few episodes of the Warburton series and Batmanuel was great. We haven't seen any other superheroes (besides Superion) make an appearance yet. After the Fab Five were crushed by The Terror the city has been without Supers. Would be great if Ben pulled out Die Fledermaus, American Maid, The Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight and Chairface Chippendale. The guys head is a chair. I wonder if Ben owns the rights to those guys. IIRC none were in the Warburton series either.
IronWaffle likes this.

post #21 of 50 Old 08-28-2017, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I wonder if Ben owns the rights to those guys. IIRC none were in the Warburton series either.
Disney got the rights when they bought out Fox Kids programming, which is why we got Bat Manuel, et al during the Warburton series. I'd think he could bring Bat back as it's all still on Fox. But maybe he wants to just start fresh. At least Arthur's safe. Hard for Disney to trademark the name Arthur. I don't recall, but I don't think they ever used the name "Mothman" during the Warburton series, either.

Even if Die Fledermaus is gone, a "super hero" who either has an arm in a sling or conveniently finds a way to avoid doing any actual evil-fighting is still pretty funny.

At least give us a moon with a "CH" carved in it. Just put it in a scene without explanation. I'll laugh.
IronWaffle likes this.

Last edited by DrDon; 08-28-2017 at 03:11 PM.
post #22 of 50 Old 08-30-2017, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Disney got the rights when they bought out Fox Kids programming, which is why we got Bat Manuel, et al during the Warburton series. I'd think he could bring Bat back as it's all still on Fox. But maybe he wants to just start fresh. At least Arthur's safe. Hard for Disney to trademark the name Arthur. I don't recall, but I don't think they ever used the name "Mothman" during the Warburton series, either.

Even if Die Fledermaus is gone, a "super hero" who either has an arm in a sling or conveniently finds a way to avoid doing any actual evil-fighting is still pretty funny.

At least give us a moon with a "CH" carved in it. Just put it in a scene without explanation. I'll laugh.
Didn't realize Disney bought out the rights. Is there anything the Mouse doesn't own?

post #23 of 50 Old 09-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 538
I liked the show, not a huge tick fan, but I enjoyed it. Caught a few of the Warburton series back when it was fresh, but never really stuck with me.

I have to say, IMO, it's a perfect fit for Warburton.

The Warburton set is on Netflix (might be Prime) now and I'm going through it.

Last edited by Yrd; 09-02-2017 at 06:36 PM.
post #24 of 50 Old 09-06-2017, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just watched the first 6 episodes and I thought it was good. Not super great, but worth watching. Warburton definitely made a better Tick, but this guy wasn't bad (plus I think Warburton is good in everything he does). I just did some searching, and apparently they split the season into 2 parts. This sort of ended on a cliff hanger and the rest of the season should continue early next year. Hopefully they won't make us wait too long or we'll just forget about it.

Denon AVR-3803 - RTi-70 Fronts - FXi-30 Surrounds - RTi-38 Back Surrounds - Csi-40 Center - PSW350 Sub - Samsung un60JS8000 SUHD
post #25 of 50 Old 09-06-2017, 10:41 AM

I'm three episodes in and can safely say this one isn't qualified to carry Warburton's antenna. A few chuckles here and there, but no side-splitting belly laughs as from the previous version. Some of that is certainly due to the lack of the original's stellar co-stars, some of it is because Serafinowicz ain't no Warburton, some of it is probably due to the darker tone (and what's with all the cursing?). But I suspect it's mostly due to uninspired writing. These guys just may simply not be funny, or understand what it was that made the original so hi-larious. Disclaimer: I never saw the animated version so cannot speak to that one's humor level.

Unless it dramatically picks up the mirth in the back three episodes, I'd have to give this one a disappointing grade.
post #26 of 50 Old 09-06-2017, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 555
After (solo) binge re-watching the Warburton's original take on the tick and watching the new series' pilot, I bought the girls (family) down for another showing of the pilot and they stuck through all six episodes. Afterwards I had to look up the reason for the change from 2.4:1 in the pilot to 2:1 for the next five and I assume the rest of season 1. Per the director, The Tick's antennae were too limited by the scope format and 2:1 solved the problem.

So Warburton was a much better Tick along with having a better Arthur/supporting cast (except the sister/mother), but I thought that the overall story of the new series much...much better. I just wish they had offered the whole season at once since it has become our preferred (or deferred...can't stand 13 weeks of one episode at a time now) way of watching.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #27 of 50 Old 09-21-2017, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Finished the Warburton series last night. I gotta say, it's pretty darn funny. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the lines. While I do enjoy this new Tick, Warburton was awesome as big blue. As were the whole cast. BatManuel is classic. I can't believe they only made 9 episodes. Wth?
TeeJay1952 and DrDon like this.

post #28 of 50 Old 02-09-2018, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Amazon has picked up The Tick for a season two to air in 2019. Amazon will premiere the highly anticipated second half of The Tick’s first season on Feb. 23, 2018, featuring six all-new episodes of the show. SPOON!!

https://variety.com/2018/digital/new...os-1202666868/
DrDon and steve1106 like this.

post #29 of 50 Old 02-17-2018, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

SPOON!!!

post #30 of 50 Old 02-22-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)