post #31 of 298 Old 07-12-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post
Not much else to watch during the summer anyway.

And just like with Under the Dome, they'll try to claim it had such great ratings that they just had to make it a series instead of a one and done. Nevermind the fact that it is up against nothing else to warrant those "great" ratings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 298 Old 07-12-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked: 6869
Yeah, I'm in too. Every once in awhile, CBS gets one right. Hopefully, more 'Jericho' than 'Under the Dome'. We'll see...
post #33 of 298 Old 07-12-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 675
In the past Amazon has streamed some CBS summer series a few days after airing - any possibility here? IIRC they carried UTD, Extant and Brain Dead...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 298 Old 07-12-2017, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I knew this was going to be bad, but sheeze. lol...

A college student is really going to keep his mouth shut about something like this for more than 30 seconds? lol...
Alright... I'll watch next week, but I'm categorizing this as a comedy drama. It won't be as groan worthy that way.

Last edited by Timokreon; 07-12-2017 at 10:10 PM.
post #35 of 298 Old 07-12-2017, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hate it. Don't care for any of the characters. There is no sense of an impending doom or urgency.
Can't stand the dramas. Highly doubtful I will watch this show again.
post #36 of 298 Old 07-13-2017, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Jericho first season 9.24 million viewers when practically nothing else was against it.

Under the Dome 11.19 million viewers with some significant other programming offered by other networks that summer.

During that seven years, average viewership of each program declined due to competition, making the 11.19 number even more impressive.

Jericho had horrible ratings. Under the Dome did okay.

Salvation's first ratings come out in three hours.

Last edited by brmeow; 07-13-2017 at 03:33 AM.
post #37 of 298 Old 07-13-2017, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
Okay, so I went ahead and watched it last night. Sure, it's stupid and cheesy and seems like it should on SyFy as a time slot filler, but what exactly were you expecting? Something as well done as The Expanse?

On a technical note, the show does not seem to have been shot on film (or digital) at p24 and telecined to 1080i60 like most of CBS's primetime programming. I was unable to find any sort of film pattern to IVTC it back to 1080p24. It seemed to be real 1080i60 so it had that great soap opera feel to it which was only fitting.

Last edited by Stereodude; 07-13-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #38 of 298 Old 07-13-2017, 07:43 AM

Aw, crap. I was afraid of this. Oh well, it is CBS and it is summertime.
post #39 of 298 Old 07-13-2017, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7178 Post(s)
Liked: 16307
I have a high tolerance for cheese. But it has to be the right kind of cheese. Too early to decide if this is a nice Brie or the Kraft processed singles. I'm hoping it's a gouda.

post #40 of 298 Old 07-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 143
.7 with 4.83 mil viewers. We'll see what happens next week.
post #41 of 298 Old 07-13-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 36
post #42 of 298 Old 07-13-2017, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I have a high tolerance for cheese. But it has to be the right kind of cheese. Too early to decide if this is a nice Brie or the Kraft processed singles. I'm hoping it's a gouda.
Haven't watched it yet but would settle for a sharp cheddar.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #43 of 298 Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post
A college student is really going to keep his mouth shut about something like this for more than 30 seconds? lol...

Alright... I'll watch next week, but I'm categorizing this as a comedy drama. It won't be as groan worthy that way.
Yes, in the day of the Internet, I would have expected a post or an email to a friend mentioning that he found a likely ELE, or a post for astronomers so they could train their telescopes to get verification and more data so the trajectory could be better predicted. Something as important as the end of all human-kind in 186 days could stand a bit of independent verification, as well as verify that the model is correctly cranking out the numbers. (Side note: in googling around, I came across this article: Incoming! New Warning System Tracks Potentially Dangerous Asteroids.)

Also, last time I looked, the sky wasn't classified. If NASA spotted it, and if Liam could get those numbers by having his computer simulation of the n-body problem crank out the numbers using public data, sooner or later astronomers will spot the killer asteroid.

Anyway, in last night's episode (which I watched this morning), it did seem a bit cheesy with the high-level government access to the data (only 40 people at the Pentagon?), the unmarked black cars, even the assassination of a technician who saw what he shouldn't have seen (though I wouldn't have thought seeing a rocket explode on the launching pad would be worthy of being shot), a web of lies, placebo propaganda for the public, and conflicts of plans if one knows that one has just 186 days to live.

Still, I think there are still possibilities (though I hope it doesn't turn into another Peasants Under Glass Under the Dome), so I am willing to give the show one or two more episodes to find its pacing and to see which direction they take the show before deciding to banish it from the DVR.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #44 of 298 Old 07-13-2017, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 669
So much Under the Dome hate, sheesh . It wasn't great, but I enjoyed it enough. Popcorn Sci-Fi for me and it was pretty fun to watch most of the time, especially in the summer. I think realistic expectations might be in short supply around here sometimes.

As for Salvation, I thought the premiere was OK (measured against my low expectations anyway). Being CBS, I expected it to be almost terrible - and it may yet be, but I didn't hate the pilot at all. I'll watch for a bit anyway. As predicted, the show comes off as way too neat and clean. The choice of actors wasn't great either - and they are all too clean looking, as well as uninteresting so far. The writing and plot are about what I expected - that is to say it has plot holes like swiss cheese. I'm sure others will feel the need to talk about all the plot issues, but I am not gonna pick nits.

Still with all that, it's summer, and a massive asteroid may kill Earth, and Elon Musk Man is building a Salvation ship. Come on now, still cool...

Last edited by Don S; 07-13-2017 at 06:28 PM.
post #45 of 298 Old 07-13-2017, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1357
I passed on it. I felt sure it would be Velveeta.
Don S likes this.
post #46 of 298 Old 07-13-2017, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I'll admit my summer TV bar is pretty low but I kind of liked it. Wondered what happened to Liam's boss. Did the black SUV guys get him?

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #47 of 298 Old 07-14-2017, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
It occurs to me that it would be easier and less suspicious to just block access to classified footage than to assassinate anybody who watches it or tries to access the files related to it.
post #48 of 298 Old 07-14-2017, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
On a technical note, the show does not seem to have been shot on film (or digital) at p24 and telecined to 1080i60 like most of CBS's primetime programming. I was unable to find any sort of film pattern to IVTC it back to 1080p24. It seemed to be real 1080i60 so it had that great soap opera feel to it which was only fitting.
Sorry to provide the bad news but while the show was shot at 23.976, it was sped up for air by the greedy CBS management. I initially thought that it was produced @ 25fps. But, after providing a sample to the Doom 9 AVISynth forum, the truth was told:
Quote:
A better indicator of what you have is often found by putting on TFM by itself and then counting duplicate frames. This one's interesting as it's been time compressed, I think, because the 'source' framerate is greater than 23.976fps.

With TFM(pp=0) alone I get this pattern:

665 6665 665 6665 6665

There are some slight variations but that's pretty much it. Each number represents a 'mini-cycle' of a sequence of unique frames ending in a dupe frame. There are a total of 103 frames in the 'grand cycle' of which 18 are dupe frames. Using:

TFM()
TDecimate(cycle=103,cycler=18,MaxNDL=6,m2PA=True)

You get an actual framerate of 24.733fps, not very far from your initial guess. I noticed a couple of dupe frames at scene changes, but no missing frames that I could see. I think I was wrong about it being from a PAL source (or a 25fps source, if you prefer), but the patterns we saw were the result of time compression - speeding it up to fit a time slot exactly. And the version you saw that had been IVTC'd to 23.976fps would be missing frames, as you said. And yours at 25fps would have some dupe frames every so often, which is way better than missing unique frames. An interesting sample, thanks.
So, I reran my script and changed it to the above and the result was a great, smooth, recode. Are the CBS so-called managers going to pull the same crap next week. We'll just have to wait to find out. I won't know for a couple of days as I will be in Chicago next week.
Keenan likes this.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #49 of 298 Old 07-14-2017, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Sorry to provide the bad news but while the show was shot at 23.976, it was sped up for air by the greedy CBS management. I initially thought that it was produced @ 25fps. But, after providing a sample to the Doom 9 AVISynth forum, the truth was told:
Well, I didn't get as far into analyzing it as you did. I just noted that madVR couldn't find any sort of film pattern for it when I tried to play it back. I switched to de-interlacing it, watched it, and moved on since I didn't have the desire to dig into exactly what was going on. Thanks for the info.
post #50 of 298 Old 07-14-2017, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
I thought it was ok at best, wife fell asleep watching it. I didn't like the Tech Billionaire, or really the way he plays the character.

post #51 of 298 Old 07-14-2017, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post

... and Elon Musk Man is building a Salvation ship. Come on now, still cool...

Did you notice that the Elon character and his 2 new friends were getting into a Tesla Model X when they left the party?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
archiguy, Don S and ltownsend like this.
post #52 of 298 Old 07-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timick1 View Post
Did you notice that the Elon character and his 2 new friends were getting into a Tesla Model X when they left the party?
If that ain't "product placement", I don't know what is.
Don S, ss9001 and Tornado Red like this.
post #53 of 298 Old 07-14-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I'll admit my summer TV bar is pretty low but I kind of liked it. Wondered what happened to Liam's boss. Did the black SUV guys get him?
Good question! Also, after Liam escaped the black vehicle on his bike, there appeared to be ample opportunities to do him in before he reconnected with the genius near the end of the pilot. Speaking of genius, I really liked the series 'Pure Genius' that came out last season. Soon as I got hooked, they cancelled it. I kinda like this one too, so....
ltownsend likes this.
post #54 of 298 Old 07-14-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Well, I didn't get as far into analyzing it as you did. I just noted that madVR couldn't find any sort of film pattern for it when I tried to play it back. I switched to de-interlacing it, watched it, and moved on since I didn't have the desire to dig into exactly what was going on. Thanks for the info.
I prefer watching all of my scripted dramas in the original frame rate, i.e. 1080p. As such, I had to dig into it to find out what the real frame rate really was. I'm sure the really real frame rate is 23.976, but for now, I'll have to put up with the sped up progressive frame rate.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #55 of 298 Old 07-15-2017, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 664
We watched about 15 min of it. While the Elon Musk character was cool, even being too obvious , all the banal dialog & melodrama again killed it for me.

Even the actress who played in Tyrant can't save this one for me & she was really quite good in Tyrant. I smell UTD syndrome & not going to waste time while all the melodramas play out over multiple eps. Like the Mist, I can't see how this story gets past S1 if the asteroid is supposed to hit in 6 months! Another procedural in the works?

Deleted. Any more, a series has to grab me out of the gate in some way, either by the acting, dialog, the story, or mysterious events. I'm not interested in watching banal insipid conversations even in a scifi setting. This isn't Walking Dead quality for sure.

It's not pacing since I loved Black Sails and thought it was one of the best drama series, up there with the likes of Deadwood, & Boardwalk Empire.

Steve
post #56 of 298 Old 07-15-2017, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Good question! Also, after Liam escaped the black vehicle on his bike, there appeared to be ample opportunities to do him in before he reconnected with the genius near the end of the pilot. Speaking of genius, I really liked the series 'Pure Genius' that came out last season. Soon as I got hooked, they cancelled it. I kinda like this one too, so....
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe we have to be patient to see what happened to him or maybe he just didn't matter to the plot and he got erased!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #57 of 298 Old 07-15-2017, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I passed on it. I felt sure it would be Velveeta.
Kinda liked it, gotta stick with it.

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #58 of 298 Old 07-15-2017, 01:25 PM
PMA

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post
Kinda liked it, gotta stick with it.
I liked it as well and a pilot usually doesn't have enough time to flesh out the characters so I am hoping for that to develop.
post #59 of 298 Old 07-15-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2908 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It occurs to me that it would be easier and less suspicious to just block access to classified footage than to assassinate anybody who watches it or tries to access the files related to it.
Somebody had to die ...

Where is the professor (where's Waldo)?

Frankly, I was intrigued for about 5 minutes, the 5 minutes between the revelation that they were building an Ark, and the time it was tossed aside to save all of humanity. The story of the Ark would have been far better, IMO.

I'll give it another few eps, but don't expect much.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-15-2017 at 04:31 PM.
post #60 of 298 Old 07-16-2017, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
The story of the Ark would have been far better, IMO.
Plus, the series finale could have had a great tie-in!

They avert the asteroid, but in the aftermath of knowing they were lied to about the impending disaster, the major world powers enter into a nuclear war. In a desperate bid to save at least some of humanity, Tanz populates his ark with the help of a brilliant scientist named Becca and blasts off just as nuclear war obliterates the planet. Some 97 years later, the ark is beginning to fail, so the remaining humans decide to send 100 of their children to the surface to see if it's survivable...
gprace likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page