post #61 of 298 Old 07-16-2017, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4035 Post(s)
Liked: 3741
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Sorry to provide the bad news but while the show was shot at 23.976, it was sped up for air by the greedy CBS management. I initially thought that it was produced @ 25fps. But, after providing a sample to the Doom 9 AVISynth forum, the truth was told:

So, I reran my script and changed it to the above and the result was a great, smooth, recode. Are the CBS so-called managers going to pull the same crap next week. We'll just have to wait to find out. I won't know for a couple of days as I will be in Chicago next week.
Great info, it explains what I was seeing and couldn't figure out why, thanks for posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 298 Old 07-16-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Plus, the series finale could have had a great tie-in!

They avert the asteroid, but in the aftermath of knowing they were lied to about the impending disaster, the major world powers enter into a nuclear war. In a desperate bid to save at least some of humanity, Tanz populates his ark with the help of a brilliant scientist named Becca and blasts off just as nuclear war obliterates the planet. Some 97 years later, the ark is beginning to fail, so the remaining humans decide to send 100 of their children to the surface to see if it's survivable...
Which, despite starting out at what looked like a cross between Twilight, the The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner, is actually really good - unlike this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I'll admit my summer TV bar is pretty low but I kind of liked it. Wondered what happened to Liam's boss. Did the black SUV guys get him?
My guess, they're holding back on that until they can generate a massive manhunt for him to lure him out under the auspice that he killed his professor. We should expect to see his face on TV screens everywhere as a suspect in the crime.

At a certain point, they'll probably use one night stand girlfriend to try to draw out MIT at some point.

If standard entertainment tropes apply, he's being held somewhere since they didn't show him dead or being made dead, unlike the guy that was viewing the video.

Quote:
It occurs to me that it would be easier and less suspicious to just block access to classified footage than to assassinate anybody who watches it or tries to access the files related to it.
But then, where's the danger to our characters who are trying to solve the problem? We can't just have a threat from a big rock hurtling at us. These days, there has to be a complicated black ops conspiracy to force the characters to essentially be on the run.

Speaking of, did anyone find it odd that two of the characters were able to just show up and enter the super laboratory that's protected by retinal scanners and stuff? Did our Musky friend leave a note at the front desk to the effect of "if these two people have a change of heart and come back, show them right in"?

I can't even be bothered learning the character names with this show. For me, they're:

- Old Spice (aka "Musk")
- MIT
- One Night Stand Girlfriend
- Pentagon Lady
- Pentagon Guy
- Anonymous Black SUV guys (being CBS, the SUV is black, not the guys)
post #63 of 298 Old 07-16-2017, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 338
We thought it was "OK" and setup a Season Pass for now but will watch them fairly quickly and reassess after each program. Like UTD if it goes on for more than a season we'll probably drop out. Well we actually gave UTD several programs into the second season but after that experience, unless we really like the program we won't tune in for any subsequent seasons if it was supposed to be a one and done and they decide to milk it out!
This program has a real "CBS" feel to it, which as we generally like CBS programs it's OK but not exactly cutting edge "science fiction" .........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 298 Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Plus, the series finale could have had a great tie-in!

They avert the asteroid, but in the aftermath of knowing they were lied to about the impending disaster, the major world powers enter into a nuclear war. In a desperate bid to save at least some of humanity, Tanz populates his ark with the help of a brilliant scientist named Becca and blasts off just as nuclear war obliterates the planet. Some 97 years later, the ark is beginning to fail, so the remaining humans decide to send 100 of their children to the surface to see if it's survivable...
Maybe you should be writing the story You have more creativity than most network shows!

Steve
post #65 of 298 Old 07-16-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2916 Post(s)
Liked: 2692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
Maybe you should be writing the story You have more creativity than most network shows!
Plagiarism ... or a Pulitzer Prize. One or the other!
post #66 of 298 Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Without the speedup, the episode is actually 1.5 minutes longer. Greed at its worst.
Keenan likes this.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #67 of 298 Old 07-16-2017, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I can think of a million more substantial examples of greed.
post #68 of 298 Old 07-20-2017, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7187 Post(s)
Liked: 16325
I recently switched back to DirecTV from Comcast. We had storms move thru last night and two of my shows, this being one of them, didn't record because satellite signal was lost. Now I'll have to watch on their app or on demand. Either way, fast forward will be disabled and I'll have to sit thru all the commercials. :sigh:

post #69 of 298 Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I gave the show one more shot this week and that's all I'm giving it. Terrible.
To those who are sticking it out, glad you like it... finding a good summer show gets more difficult every year.

Ratings this week, .7 & 4.29.

Have a great one all!
ss9001 likes this.
post #70 of 298 Old 07-20-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timokreon View Post
I gave the show one more shot this week and that's all I'm giving it. Terrible.
You had more stamina that I did. I gave up on it after maybe 10 min of the pilot. I found one complimentary review, which casts serious doubt on the reviewer IMO, but every other one has been mediocre to poor.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 07-20-2017 at 06:34 PM.
post #71 of 298 Old 07-20-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, this week was not very good. I mean, nobody died or anything! The problem is that there is nobody to like. Plastic people with mundane lines ...

One more week ... just because the summer schedule is so barren this year.
Don S likes this.
post #72 of 298 Old 07-21-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Yeah, this week was not very good. I mean, nobody died or anything! The problem is that there is nobody to like. Plastic people with mundane lines ...

My feelings exactly. uggh
post #73 of 298 Old 07-21-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 675
The pilot is on Prime now so they must be streaming with a few days' delay. So I think I'll hold off on it for now - I still have plenty of other shows to catch up on...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #74 of 298 Old 07-21-2017, 02:56 PM

I'm out after the first 2 episodes. Not terrible but nothing really to keep me interested, well other than the good looks of the actresses, and that can only go so far.
post #75 of 298 Old 07-21-2017, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6206 Post(s)
Liked: 6885
Hmm, reading the thread, trying to see if it's worth it. It's getting more and more unlikely I'm going to be watching the stored eps on my DVR and more likely I'll be flushing the whole thing. Even 'Under the Dome' got better reviews from you guys than this.
shivaji likes this.
post #76 of 298 Old 07-22-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
..... Even 'Under the Dome' got better reviews from you guys than this.
I'm one who actually watched the whole first season of UtD, towards the end it was really only because I was led to believe it would conclude. When it came back I still watched a couple more but finally dropped out, so yea I tend to give a program plenty of leeway. Salvation while nice and polished seemed too polished and cliche ridden, if you tend to like a program with any real grit or substance, personally I'd say to avoid Salvation
post #77 of 298 Old 07-22-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 1360
It seems ones salvation requires avoiding Salvation.
post #78 of 298 Old 07-23-2017, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
At least we know the true reason for the unlucky government employee's untimely demise now.

Spoiler!
post #79 of 298 Old 07-23-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
At least we know the true reason for the unlucky government employee's untimely demise now.

Spoiler!
Don't you know that "when the fate of the world's at stake, the rulebook goes out the window??!"

Why does it matter?

Because "I don't care about the world, if this is all the time we've got left..." [Let's make out!!]

So the reporter has pictures off all the major participants up on a tackboard now. Next week, push-pins and string tying them together!

I think I'm in, dammit! Summertime fun TV comfort-food oughta' be mindless calories, with extra cheese.
ltownsend likes this.
post #80 of 298 Old 07-23-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Don't you know that "when the fate of the world's at stake, the rulebook goes out the window??!"

Why does it matter?

Because "I don't care about the world, if this is all the time we've got left..." [Let's make out!!]

So the reporter has pictures off all the major participants up on a tackboard now. Next week, push-pins and string tying them together!

I think I'm in, dammit! Summertime fun TV comfort-food oughta' be mindless calories, with extra cheese.
I'm not sold yet - does it at least have some cows being sliced in half?

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #81 of 298 Old 07-23-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I don't think it has the vfx budget for something that. But it did show a rocket engine explosion CGI'd onto a supposed satellite photo of a testing bunker. Several times! That probably ate up around half the season's budget. And they've still got some Big Space Rock stuff to show later, I'm guessing. But they can probably crib that from Armageddon for a small rights fee.
post #82 of 298 Old 07-23-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I don't think it has the vfx budget for something that. But it did show a rocket engine explosion CGI'd onto a supposed satellite photo of a testing bunker. Several times! That probably ate up around half the season's budget. And they've still got some Big Space Rock stuff to show later, I'm guessing. But they can probably crib that from Armageddon for a small rights fee.
Hey, if JAG can re-use footage from Top Gun, then Salvation can pull from Armageddon...

I don't know how common it is now, but use of standing sets was a big thing years ago. A film would have a scene in a club, then pretty much every TV show shot on the lot would feature an episode with scenes ion a club after the movie filming was done. All the shows would do is modify the set for their needs. Once everyone had their chance at it, the set would be torn down.

Of course, back then certain shows would shoot all over the Universal and Warner Brothers backlots. At one point, I watched several episodes of "Combat!" in a row as they moved their way around the "French Street" sets. The was one facade in the center of "town" that would always be seen, so you could always tell it was the same sets, just redecorated a bit and shot from different angles. Back when the show originally aired, people had a week between episodes to forget what they saw last.

....and that's the key: people forget stuff after a while. That means re-using stuff doesn't draw as much attention to itself when people might not remember the original.
ltownsend likes this.
post #83 of 298 Old 07-23-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Why does it matter?

Sneak preview:

archiguy likes this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-23-2017 at 05:36 PM.
post #84 of 298 Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
C'mon guys, the show's not great but in no way is it in UTD's league of sheer stupidity. Right now it's just harmless summer fun.

It's about in the same league as Extant IMO as far as summer shows go.
post #85 of 298 Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
C'mon guys, the show's not great but in no way is it in UTD's league of sheer stupidity. Right now it's just harmless summer fun.

It's about in the same league as Extant IMO as far as summer shows go.
The thing is, even Under the Dome didn't start out as stupid as Under the Dome.

We're only a few episodes in - there's plenty of room for even more stupidity.
jjeff likes this.
post #86 of 298 Old 07-25-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I struggled through the pilot and have ep 2 on my DVR. Just can't bring myself to watch it.
post #87 of 298 Old 07-25-2017, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1709 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
That's all I'm asking for. Just slice one cow in half. It doesn't even have to be a large one.
Stereodude likes this.
post #88 of 298 Old 07-27-2017, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess the moral of this week's episode is if you have a tough problem to solve, ask your magic supercomputer for the answer.

Next week will have two episodes, and August 16 will have two as well.
post #89 of 298 Old 07-27-2017, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
I guess the moral of this week's episode is if you have a tough problem to solve, ask your magic supercomputer for the answer.

It helped, but not enough; the live device still failed. (Maybe Newton is right, after all.) Why did they do the first run of the device in front of those who are about to recommend killing over a billion people, instead of in private when they could have at least remained silent?

Space isn't classified--the skies are out there for the world to see, including those nations who are about to be wiped out due to the actions of NASA. Isn't it rather predictable what those nations will do if they see NASA targeting them with the fragments of the meteor?

Quote:
Next week will have two episodes, and August 16 will have two as well.

Maybe the end is closer than we first expect. Maybe the third thing that won't happen on the August 21 Great Solar Eclipse is going to happen after all! 3 Things That Won’t Happen Due to the Solar Eclipse, and 3 Things That Will
crabboy likes this.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #90 of 298 Old 07-28-2017, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Why did they do the first run of the device in front of those who are about to recommend killing over a billion people, instead of in private when they could have at least remained silent?
By the time they figured out how to build it, they only had 48 hours left before the deadline, so my understanding was that there was no time left to do any tests of the prototype by the time they had built it. I guess they figured it was better to let the prototype potentially explode in front of the bigwigs than to have it explode in private and then tell the bigwigs that there wouldn't be any test, after all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page