Survivor 35 Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers on CBS - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 109Likes

post #211 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 2254
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post
Blame cynicism, but Jeff saying that the final twist would be used in future seasons was necessary, if only to be used as a defense against the accusations of it being invented to help Ben. In essence a similar reason as to why the 'Tuck Rule' wasn't overturned immediately following that season people claimed it was used to hand the Patriots the game. The fact is Ben had zero chance to win the game without the change. Not that was completely undeserving, far from it, but it smells. Obviously the producers can't really control who wins a challenge, but they certainly have the ability to give certain contestants extra chances and/or advantages.

And it's really sad they called the twist a "secret advantage". I hope no one ever gives me an "advantage" that screws me out of a large amount of money. I was hoping it would be "cancel one jury member's vote before they are read", leaving the person trying to figure out who is voting against them.

Presumably the next season has already been filmed, so the fire building will again be a surprise to the players. But in subsequent seasons? Once you make the final four you should be much more concerned with your ability to make fire than to win immunity or lock down your alliances. Kind of kills the main objectives of the game.
The secret advantage was announced before the challenge so they didn't know Ben would loose. So they would have created in case he did. Even with that, I feel it is a better option then a small group that sticks together and just picks who they want. This way, its one last fight for the spot, outside someone's control to just pick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2889 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Lack of Idol Search == Lazy Players

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #213 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post
I would not be shocked if later we find that production massages events, or adds new 'twists' on the fly to achieve a more exciting, or desirable outcome.

Maybe Devon's kindling ropes were kept in a damp box?
I bet there will be an animated GIF out there with Devon pulling his stuff out from under the table and its dripping with water.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexluthor View Post
The skeptic in me wonders exactly when they decided to implement this final twist. Would they have used it if it wasn't to save Ben? If I were Devon, Chrissy or Ryan, I'd probably be pretty annoyed. One of them had this won until the producers decided to give the game to Ben (or at least make it a 50/50 shot for Ben).
Has the next season been filmed already? Jeff said they are using this twist in next season as well. If that’s the case, then that means it was planned all along. Although I guess they had the option of not using it depending on how the final four works out.

In an interview, Jeff said that they came up with this for the very case where there’s an alliance of 3 that’s definitely going to vote out a player who’s played a good game and deserves going to final tribal. Still that sucks for one of the 3 who played a good enough game to be in the power alliance at the end.

It is a dastardly twist because who do you send to battle it out with the fourth player? If you send the weakest one, then the fourth player will stand a better chance of winning the challenge. Or send the better player and risk him losing as well. And that’s what happened with Devon. He deserved to be in the finals more than Ryan.

And I have to say, Ali was looking smoking in the reunion show. Jeff never bothered to talk to the whole group. Instead we got those dumb audience participation segments.
post #215 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Once again that proves the old adage, you snooze, you lose.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #216 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Chrissy was so focused on getting Ben out, and so shocked by the final "twist", she figured Devon was her salvation .. they all knew Ben would likely win if he made it to final .. instead, Chrissy should have sent Ryan to the fire contest .. yes, he would have lost .. however, then, the Jury would have to pick from Chrissy, Devon or Ben .. which very well could have scrambled the votes and made things a bit more unpredictable ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #217 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 274
The first five votes were 2-2-1.
Then Ben
Then Jeff said "one more", and it was Ben.
So the not shown 7th vote could have been for anybody.

Usually, the Reunion show is an hour. Last night just a half hour.

I thought Crissy would win.
post #218 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
The secret advantage was announced before the challenge so they didn't know Ben would loose. So they would have created in case he did. Even with that, I feel it is a better option then a small group that sticks together and just picks who they want. This way, its one last fight for the spot, outside someone's control to just pick.
Good point, but they could have made the secret advantage something else if Ben won.
post #219 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Well, I'm glad ben won , but it seemed kind of fixed to me also.....

wonder who would've won if the final 3 were crissy, devon and ryan ???

Jeff should've asked the jury , including ben, with a show of hands who would've voted for
who ............
post #220 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post
Well, I'm glad ben won , but it seemed kind of fixed to me also.....

wonder who would've won if the final 3 were crissy, devon and ryan ???

Jeff should've asked the jury , including ben, with a show of hands who would've voted for
who ............
The only vote Ryan got was Devon’s so he would have gotten zero. I think Chrissy was dominant enough to take all the votes except Ben’s. Would he have respected her gameplay enough to overcome his dislike for her to vote for her or vote Devon or Ryan as a “Not Chrissy” vote?
post #221 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 717
It appears I FFwd through a vote before they did the reunion show. I missed the vote they showed for Chrissy. The very first vote shown at the reunion was the one from Lauren, then Ryan, then Chrissy, all 3 of those were shown at the TC voting area.
cardoski likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #222 of 231 Old 12-21-2017, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Your looking at it wrong, it wasn't just that they should follow him (they should have any that is their fault, not a conspiracy that the show did it for Ben), they also should have been out looking for it themselves. One follows, 3 go in separate directions and look (or when it was 1 follow, 2 go look, etc.). Odds are in their favor they would find it before Ben and not have to "push" him out of the way. They would have multiple people out there looking to Ben's single person. Instead the entire tribe went to sleep/stayed at camp That is completely their fault and they completely had the opportunity and overwhelming advantage to find it first and get him out, they, and they alone chose not to, even if they show did try to give it to Ben, they had the chance and odds to find it first and simply chose not to and sleep/stay at camp. They had multiple chances to do this after multiple tribal councils and decided every time not to.

I suppose you have a point there, yes. I was just thinking about the unorganized calamity under the tribe banner in the sand when Ryan found one without anyone noticing. Also, usually the one who goes looking for idols ends up on the hit list. But I understand your point, those scenarios don't really apply in the case of Ben finding the final idol. The more I think about, being tired for staying up all night guarding Ben, and one of three possibly finding the idol before him, circumvents how well the 3 would perform at the next days challenge. Think of it from Chrissy's point of view: She's winning the challenges and confident to win the final one. An idol isn't exactly as important as winning a challenge especially when you know you could tie a record. At the same time, she's thinking she needs to beat Ben at the challenge too. Winning a challenge to avoid being voted off scores more judge points down the line than passing an idol imo. I suppose it comes down to the judges though and look at the 8 they were dealing with.....

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W

Last edited by brazen1; 12-21-2017 at 04:52 PM.
post #223 of 231 Old 12-22-2017, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I suppose you have a point there, yes. I was just thinking about the unorganized calamity under the tribe banner in the sand when Ryan found one without anyone noticing. Also, usually the one who goes looking for idols ends up on the hit list. But I understand your point, those scenarios don't really apply in the case of Ben finding the final idol. The more I think about, being tired for staying up all night guarding Ben, and one of three possibly finding the idol before him, circumvents how well the 3 would perform at the next days challenge. Think of it from Chrissy's point of view: She's winning the challenges and confident to win the final one. An idol isn't exactly as important as winning a challenge especially when you know you could tie a record. At the same time, she's thinking she needs to beat Ben at the challenge too. Winning a challenge to avoid being voted off scores more judge points down the line than passing an idol imo. I suppose it comes down to the judges though and look at the 8 they were dealing with.....
That is true on the sleeping, however, Ben stayed up all night (it was pitch black when he started looking and the sun was coming up when he was digging) and he had the challenge won FAST. But the upside down U did him in. Perhaps it was fatigue that made him do that, we'll never know.

post #224 of 231 Old 12-22-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Chrissy was so focused on getting Ben out, and so shocked by the final "twist", she figured Devon was her salvation .. they all knew Ben would likely win if he made it to final .. instead, Chrissy should have sent Ryan to the fire contest .. yes, he would have lost .. however, then, the Jury would have to pick from Chrissy, Devon or Ben .. which very well could have scrambled the votes and made things a bit more unpredictable ..
Having Devon there really could of changed the outcome because if the vote was that close, Devon's vote for Ryan wouldn't of been there and Ryan would of voted one of them. That easily could have swayed things to either Chrissy or Devon. Guess she was focused solely on trying to eliminate him completely, not planning for case B and C.

post #225 of 231 Old 12-22-2017, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is true on the sleeping, however, Ben stayed up all night (it was pitch black when he started looking and the sun was coming up when he was digging) and he had the challenge won FAST. But the upside down U did him in. Perhaps it was fatigue that made him do that, we'll never know.
I noticed that Devon had an upside down E in Healers but it didn’t matter because he dropped letters and had to start over.

Last edited by hooked01; 12-22-2017 at 07:57 AM.
post #226 of 231 Old 12-22-2017, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 165
In regards to that word block puzzle challenge...

I was thinking about the difficulty of assuring all of the different machines and apparatus were equal to the other in how they quivered and shimmied, etc.

The way Ben's blocks kept falling when he engaged the lock, isn't it possible his was more apt to wobble? Yeah, he got there once with the upside down U, but could it have gone wonky after that?

Same seems possible for those who couldn't get near completed. How identical in performance and stability could each of these weird devices be?
shivaji likes this.
post #227 of 231 Old 12-22-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I agree. That contraption would have made Rube Goldberg proud.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #228 of 231 Old 12-22-2017, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I agree. That contraption would have made Rube Goldberg proud.
I was thinking the exact same thing ..

Uncle Willie

post #229 of 231 Old 12-24-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Is it Feb 28th yet?

John dhein likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #230 of 231 Old 12-24-2017, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Really enjoyable finale. Congratulations to Ben who had no allies going down the stretch like Mike Holloway but like Mike he still managed to win the game.

I know people are complaining about all the idols that Ben found. However, I recall Spencer saying that Tony found the most idols because he spent the most time looking for them. Ever since then I've thought that the people who win the game are the one's who want it the most and are willing to put in the work. Ben found the most idols because he was willing to stay up all night looking while the others were catching up on their sleep.
post #231 of 231 Old 12-28-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdt...l#post55394374

Uncle Willie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page