'The Orville' on FOX - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1627Likes

post #1501 of 1840 Old 03-04-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6155 Post(s)
Liked: 6814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I think they were still on the outskirts of the Moons orbit. Still a lot of junk (and dead bodies) out there. Maybe at that point in time, they've got a space Roomba or something.
The earth looked awfully large in the background of some of those shots, filling up almost the whole frame. Looked like most of the battle took place in a low or mid-height orbital shell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1840 Old 03-04-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2857 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Agreed on the CG in the last episode. Too tight, too fast, no way to actually see what was going on. Always nice to see the action with some perspective, but, that would have meant lots more ships in view and that probably costs more money.

As to how it will play out? The Krill think that Avis put them together for a reason, so it will be interesting to see how long the Earthlings can kowtow to them before pissing them off and making an enemy of them again (just keep the Captain out of any negotiations/conversations). Hopefully, long enough to rebuild the fleet with those improved weapons that Issac is going to design.

As to the brief foray into green "screen" here on AVS, if the show brought up sufficient topics for discussion, we would discuss them. Since it doesn't, the conversation deviates (term used purposely)!

This show is still finding it's way ... I hope they find it soon.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #1503 of 1840 Old 03-04-2019, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Same here. Though a big part of what drew me to the show was the humor. I would like to see more humor again mixed in. I don't mind the occasional social lesson, as long as its not done in a preachy way, and as long as it's not a "preachy lesson of the week". I do think mixing cool Sci Fi with relevant topical issues can be good if done correctly, and not done every week.
Pee corner.
Don S, Tom Imp, SuperFist and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 1840 Old 03-05-2019, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Pee corner.
Love they addressed this. People always ask in these situations, what if you had to go to the bathroom really bad.

post #1505 of 1840 Old 03-05-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Pee corner.
Exactly! More like this, and more of Bortus :-)
SuperFist likes this.
post #1506 of 1840 Old 03-05-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Pee corner.
Pee corner.
post #1507 of 1840 Old 03-05-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
I thought the space battle scenes were great but the plot with Isaac saving the day entirely underwhelming, you could see it coming a mile away. More importantly, the less time we see Ty the better. That kid is not a good child actor and every scene with him takes down the show IMO. They have been using him way too much lately.
Don S likes this.
post #1508 of 1840 Old 03-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Believe it or not, "pee corner" and "thirteen button salute" are actual U.S. military informal slang terms!

Please don't ask me how I knew this.
SuperFist likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #1509 of 1840 Old 03-05-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 488
So far this show has been more true to what Star Trek represents then that horrible "hollywood" take, STD... ~_~

Although I will say this, I wish the original Security officer didnt date Seth so we wouldnt have had some of that drama and she could come back to the show, she was well one cuter and just more enjoyable as a character than either of the security officers to come... I mean they literally replaced her with an older version of herself lol... I do hope she comes back soon. Also this most recent two part episode was horribly predictable... even before the second episode aired I was able to in detail tell my friend exactly how it was going to end and he was like nah they wont do that and Im like its already been setup in the previous episode and then bam it happened exactly as laid out and he was like welp you were right... so that was a bit of a bummer lol... but still LOVE LOVE LOVE the show. My neighbor has been on the show twice so Im super jealous, would love to do some background/extra work on that show.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #1510 of 1840 Old 03-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Believe it or not, "pee corner" and "thirteen button salute" are actual U.S. military informal slang terms!

What did you do in the corner?!

post #1511 of 1840 Old 03-06-2019, 05:06 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Love they addressed this. People always ask in these situations, what if you had to go to the bathroom really bad.
Their super-advanced uniforms/suits ought to take care of that

In TOS, the uniforms were stated to be advanced thermal regulating suits (Spocks Brain), within reasonable limits (Enemy Within), and assume other body regulating/monitoring capabilities.

Please punch my Geek Card

Last edited by Rgb; 03-06-2019 at 10:36 AM.
post #1512 of 1840 Old 03-06-2019, 05:09 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I thought the space battle scenes were great but the plot with Isaac saving the day entirely underwhelming, you could see it coming a mile away. More importantly, the less time we see Ty the better. That kid is not a good child actor and every scene with him takes down the show IMO. They have been using him way too much lately.
Yes, but pretty much the only way out plus a source of character development moving forward.

Should've had Isaac mention how he plotted the rebellion after becoming aware of the extermination directive on Kaylon.
post #1513 of 1840 Old 03-06-2019, 05:13 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The quick way Primary knew of this "Secret" code was lame. There ought to have been a SUPER secret codeword(s) ONLY the captain and maybe first officer knew, undocumented anywhere else, changing every so often through the most secure comm channels in the Union.
shivaji likes this.
post #1514 of 1840 Old 03-06-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 645
First part was much better than the 2nd. The resolution was just too simple, predictable and neatly bow-tied(very TNG like in that regard i guess). Isaac not at least being in secure lock down made no sense....let alone allowed to be on the ship as if nothing happened pondering his existence. I bet in the next episode he will be at his post with crew members playing practical jokes on him like usual.

With the setup of the first part, Seth had an opportunity to really do something different in the 2nd part...but failed.

In fact, for me the 2nd part was such a disappointment....that it greatly diminished how good the first part was.
post #1515 of 1840 Old 03-06-2019, 08:39 AM

Wouldn't the Union have plenty of Kaylon "corpses" to "operate" on given how many were on the Orville when they were disabled by Issac, including the Primary? They should be able to learn a great deal about their new powerful enemy from stripping them down to their basic circuitry. We'll see if that is even mentioned in the next episode. My guess is... nope.
Rgb, Garrett Adams, Don S and 2 others like this.
post #1516 of 1840 Old 03-06-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
very TNG like in that regard i guess).
Just like ST:TNG "Best of Both Worlds" 2 parter, which is considered one of the best episode(s) of TNG.

Just when things were looking bleak, Picard says to Data "Sleep, Data. Sleep". Data interprets this to mean go into a Borg low security subroutine and plant code to push the Borg into regeneration mode. The Borg ship then explodes a few minutes later. A quick wrap indeed.
post #1517 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

<Pin drop>

c'mon guys, last night's wasn't THAT bad
post #1518 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
<Pin drop>

c'mon guys, last night's wasn't THAT bad
It was not bad at all, just totally predictable. I have seen the same plot many times. But, what happened to the yellow blood girl?
post #1519 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Agreed re: trite predictability.

Maybe gave her to the Krill as recompense, or sent her to her homeworld
post #1520 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 08:02 AM

I'm still rollin' on the floor after that scene where Talla finally resorts to giving a prostate exam to the Krill delegation!

IMHO, this was a good episode and not that "predictable." I really thought that Gordon's old friend Orrin was going to turn out to be a disguised Krill saboteur, and was surprised when it did not turn out that way. But Talla's instincts were valid, and he WAS a "bad guy," and the whole plot clearly had a heavy Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country-type vibe.

post #1521 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7110 Post(s)
Liked: 16044
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
It was not bad at all, just totally predictable. I have seen the same plot many times. But, what happened to the yellow blood girl?
She was handed over to the Unions’ military division. They’ve been trying to get their hands on a Xenomporph for like forever. Always that dang Ripley getting in the way. So yellow blood girl is the next best thing. So say we all.

post #1522 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm still rollin' on the floor after that scene where Talla finally resorts to giving a prostate exam to the Krill delegation!

IMHO, this was a good episode and not that "predictable." I really thought that Gordon's old friend Orrin was going to turn out to be a disguised Krill saboteur, and was surprised when it did not turn out that way. But Talla's instincts were valid, and he WAS a "bad guy," and the whole plot clearly had a heavy Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country-type vibe.
This Gordon-centric episode also shows how much he's grown up lately. Maybe the practical joke 'war' with Isaac that literally cost him a leg woke him up. He does come up with some good humor still ("pee corner"). Lately he was seen with great piloting skills in a shuttle to escape the Kaylons and get to the Krill. Then piloting (how the heck did the Krill allow that?) a Krill fighter during the battle. And very effectively too.

Now he had to make a decision. Duty vs. Friendship. He even consulted Talla on what to do. When he took the shuttle with Orrin and shot Talla in the process which side was he on? With the announce by Bortus that the tracking device was active, it connected that he HAD told the captain about Orrin's plans. Gordon couldn't allow the deranged feelings of one man to upset a possible peace treaty that would save millions of lives, even with the cease-fire in place.

So the beginnings of peace talks between the Union and the Krill are now possible.
post #1523 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Nobody knows what happened to the walking bomb, unless there was a filmed-scene that was later dropped from the edit bay. I think it's quite likely that she was turned over to the Krill, as a peace offering, given what we saw in the back-half of the episode. She went along with the terrorist attacks willingly, so it's not like she's innocent, regardless of whatever she experienced before the cease-fire.
post #1524 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4714 Post(s)
Liked: 6297
I see all is forgiven and Isaac is back at his station like nothing happened.

I love seeing Danson on there. I still would love to have Larry David in a similar role. He would have a serious talk with the Orville and then send them some encoded documents. Only when he presses "send" it doesn't work. Cue his assistants behind him trying to figure out why it didn't work. Larry wouldn't need a script at that point.
SuperFist likes this.
post #1525 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody got any back story on how Gordon wound up piloting a Krill fighter? I severely doubt they would let him even see one up close. Maybe they were short of pilots and 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' kinda thing? And the fact that he figured out the controls that were definitely NOT in English (or Union standard or whatever they use) quickly enough and was very effective in his efforts.
post #1526 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Yeah I was afraid they would do that. Really diminishing how good Identity was.
post #1527 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:

You're forgetting that this episode takes place many months after the Kaylon incursion. At least six months or more, though my guesstimate would be around eight months, since the cease-fire agreement had been in effect for six and it would have taken some time to hammer that out. A lot can happen in that period of time.
Eadwig likes this.
post #1528 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Anybody got any back story on how Gordon wound up piloting a Krill fighter? I severely doubt they would let him even see one up close. Maybe they were short of pilots and 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' kinda thing? And the fact that he figured out the controls that were definitely NOT in English (or Union standard or whatever they use) quickly enough and was very effective in his efforts.
Yeah, ya really gotta wonder about that! Would Gordon actually have introduced himself to the Krill as the guy who (in season one) performed a legendary "loop-de-loop" maneuver in Starship Orville, evading them and then launching a weapons barrage that destroyed one of their dreadnoughts, killing hundreds and hundreds of them; or how exactly WOULD he persuade them to let him fly one of their fighters? Or did he tell them he was at the helm of Orville when they destroyed a Krill starship WITH A TREE! Or, hey, you guys remember that poor ship where so many of the crew members were fried with high intensity light that Krill physiology can't survive? Did he just say "hey, dudes, that was ME who did that stuff, I'm BADASS, now just let me fly one of your fighters."

Obviously, the Krill Intelligence Service isn't very good.

post #1529 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 02:37 PM

With the two-part episode Identity, The Orville has matured into serious science fiction
Seth MacFarlane’s Star Trek homage may finally be ready for a wider audience
By Will Harris, TheVerge.com - Mar. 7, 2019

[WARNING: Spoilers for past and current episodes of Fox's "The Orville" in this article]

The Star Trek homage series The Orville is the Rodney Dangerfield of science fiction shows: it doesn’t get much respect, especially from genre fans. Whether that’s because of the tonally awkward blend of comedy and drama, the incorporation of 21st century pop culture references, or an active distaste for creator Seth MacFarlane, the reference-spouting creator of Family Guy, just mentioning The Orville around more stoic science fiction aficionados will likely earn you an instant sigh and an eye-roll.

For true MacFarlane haters, that mindset may never go away. But with the recent two-part episode “Identity,” the series turned a corner that might finally sway some of the more indifferent audiences onto Team Orville. The episode might surprise viewers who gave up on the show after the first few episodes. It got dark.

Like, “Best of Both Worlds” dark.

Star Trek: The Next Generation fans will understand what a bold statement that is. The two-part “Best of Both Worlds” — 1990’s season 3 finale and season 4 kickoff — left fans horror-struck, as the Enterprise faced off against the monstrous alien Borg, and lost Captain Picard to assimilation.

With “Best of Both Worlds,” Star Trek: The Next Generation finally vaulted past being just another special effects-laden space series, and it proved its mettle as a tense character drama. While the two “Identity” episodes may not propel The Orville forward to quite that degree, they deliver enough surprise, mystery, horror, and action over the course of two hours — complete with a nail-biting cliffhanger in the middle — to confirm that when The Orville dials down the goofy comedy, it can hold its own with any of the more traditional science fiction properties out there.

Kicking off with the incapacitation of the artificial life-form Isaac (Mark Jackson), who serves as the starship Orville’s science and engineering officer, “Identity” takes the Orville to Isaac’s home planet, Kaylon-1, which has yet to join the Planetary Union. While there, the crew stumbles upon a ghastly aspect of the planet’s history. When they confront the Kaylons about the disconcerting revelation, all hell breaks loose, and it’s immediately evident that no one on the Orville will ever look at Isaac the same way again.

Even with its new, grimmer bent, The Orville still isn’t a nonstop source of sophisticated drama. And it’s never likely to be. When the show joined Fox’s prime-time lineup in September 2017, it came across as something a gifted 12-year-old Star Trek fan would pen if assigned to create a space show. The creative concepts were slightly ahead of the curve for mainstream TV fare — when was the last time you saw a live-action series in which one of the characters was a gelatinous blob? — but the sense of humor was set at exactly Family Guy’s maturity level, particularly with the jokey character of Lt. Gordon Malloy (Scott Grimes). (In the pilot episode, an admiral played by guest star Victor Garber asked about Lt. Malloy. “Didn’t he once draw a penis on the main viewing screen of outpost T85?” The answer, of course, is a resounding “yes.”)

The amalgam of attempted intelligent science fiction and middle school body part humor was jarring — based on the reviews, it might have actually caused some critics physical pain — and even those who came into the series with an open mind and an appreciation of both highbrow and lowbrow entertainment wondered just how long the series could successfully pull off its balancing act.

Fortunately, while Seth MacFarlane enjoys a good fart gag — actually, make that a googol’s worth of fart gags — he also truly loves Star Trek. And he knows what makes that franchise work: the distinctive characters, the bonds between them, and the increasing development of those bonds throughout their voyage. He understands that alternating between testing and tightening those bonds is ultimately more important than putting his own jokey spin on every aspect of his show’s science fiction.

As early as its third episode, The Orville’s creators were offering allegorical, politically relevant plotlines. In “About a Girl,” alien Lt. Commander Bortus (Peter Macon) and his significant other, Klyden (Chad Coleman), put ship’s doctor Finn (Penny Johnson Jerald) in a morally awkward position when they ask her to perform sex reassignment surgery on their daughter. The procedure is standard practice for the Moclan people, but after Dr. Finn confirms that it’s based in a belief that females are inferior, she refuses to have anything to do with harming a physically healthy child. The episode is heavy-handed, but between the general premise and a not-entirely-happy ending, it was immediately held up as an example of the series MacFarlane was really trying to make, as opposed to the too-simple elevator pitch dismissive critics used to describe the show: “Sci-fi from the creator of Family Guy.”

The episode also wasn’t an immediate course-correction for The Orville. The series has had to work through other growing pains beyond simply finding a balance between its sensibilities. The two leads — MacFarlane and Adrianne Palicki — play the Orville’s Captain Ed Mercer and his first officer / ex-wife Commander Kelly Grayson, and the series tends to play the “will they, won’t they” card about whether they’ll get back together. The parallels between Isaac and Lt. Commander Data of Star Trek’s flagship Enterprise are often a little too on the nose, while the writers never seemed to know what they wanted to do with the character of Lt. Alara (Halston), beyond piling on unrelated bits of backstory that consistently failed to make her stand out.

As these characters floundered in season 1, however, Dr. Finn got a solid spotlight episode with “Into the Fold,” which let her shine as a doctor, a mother, and an officer after a crash-landing on a planet crawling with cannibals. And just before season 1 wrapped up, Lt. John LaMarr got his shot as the focus of the episode “New Dimensions” where he was promoted to lieutenant commander and chief engineer and, more importantly, had his backstory fleshed out to reveal his genius-level intelligence and history of being shunned and bullied.

As the season ended, The Orville still had its problems, but in spite of the flailing moments during the course of its first dozen episodes, there was also a sense that the series was finding its footing and shifting its focus toward deepening the characterization. And the series confirmed its shifting intentions with the season 2 premiere “Ja’loja,” which offered up little action but instead provided storylines for every single main character. Individually, none of these stories qualify as game-changers — Lt. LaMarr helps Lt. Malloy step up his game in order to ask out a crew member! Isaac helps one of Dr. Finn’s sons with a bully problem! — but viewed as a whole, they set a new tone.

The Orville also started to have fewer overt jokes and more conversations. In “All the World is Birthday Cake,” the crew has to scheme its way out of a tough spot, which leads to a discussion about the moral implications of their actions. In “Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes,” the series revisits a plot point from a season 1 episode to reveal the ramifications of one of Captain Mercer’s defensive action. And while the decision in “A Perfect Refrain” to have Dr. Finn develop romantic feelings for Isaac sounds like a terrible idea in print, Jerald’s acting skills make a relationship between a human and a near-faceless artificial life-form seem credible.

Then there’s “Identity,” and its parallels with “Best of Both Worlds,” starting with the way they share a startling cliffhanger that leaves the fate of not only a primary character, but an entire planet worrisomely uncertain. With its two-parter, The Orville uses all of its characters and past developments to tremendous effect — even the least substantive character on the show, the gelatinous-blob crew member Lt. Yaphit. When the series started, there seemed to be very little reason for his existence beyond getting laughs out of having a ball of goo talk with Norm Macdonald’s voice. In “Identity,” Yaphit doesn’t just serve a purpose, he plays a significant role with actual dramatic moments.

The Orville still isn’t a perfect science fiction series. It’s toned down the dodgier side of its humor, but it still has its sporadic 21st century pop culture references. Given its creator and star, it’s hard to imagine that ever going away. But it has reached a turning point in its evolution, a stage where MacFarlane seems ready to embrace the more adult side of his story and make something significant out of it. “Identity” is a game-changer. For people who saw the potential in The Orville enough to consider tuning in but didn’t like what they saw, it’s a perfect time to come back aboard.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/7/18...cience-fiction

post #1530 of 1840 Old 03-08-2019, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4714 Post(s)
Liked: 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
You're forgetting that this episode takes place many months after the Kaylon incursion. At least six months or more, though my guesstimate would be around eight months, since the cease-fire agreement had been in effect for six and it would have taken some time to hammer that out. A lot can happen in that period of time.
I didn't forget. It's not my job to fill in the blanks. Traitor Scum Issac was a huge plot point, and it was glossed over. That's called lazy writing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page