'The Orville' on FOX - Page 60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1627Likes

post #1771 of 1840 Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6156 Post(s)
Liked: 6815
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
Unlike some religious and philosophical viewpoints, in which believing in the absolutely truth is important, from a scientific perspective all these statements are scientifically identical, in that they imply identical observational statistics, which is all science cares about. (Some religions say you must have faith in the correct truth, without proof, or you will be face eternal damnation, which strikes me as unfair and unreasonable - why would a god or gods reward the least rational people, and punish those who think rationally?)
Great post! But if you have to ask that question, you don't understand religion (which has little to do with faith, per se). From the earliest time when modern man and his immediate ancestors began banding together for herd-protection, religion has been used to both explain & make some sense of the then-unknowable natural world, and then later, for one group of men (the keepers of the faith - the "priesthood") to control other men. Over time, the "explanation" part has fallen away as our scientific knowledge and technology has given us the proper tools to understand the world around us. But the "controlling" aspect of religion remains. Many social & cultural pathologies have arisen from that stubborn and persistent phenomenon, and still plague us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1
At one point, before the many-worlds interpretation became so popular in speculative fiction, I though about writing an SF story to popularize it. Alas, I had but to compare the quality of my own writing to that of the best SF and Fantasy I was reading, to know I could not do it justice. I wish I could write better.
I hear you. I've always wanted to write a sci-fi novel, and have never been short of big ideas. But I cannot write well enough. I look at a guy like Andy Weir (The Martian) and marvel at how he was able to essentially crowd-source his first novel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1840 Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 645
I was glad to see a renewal so quickly. I was a little concerned because of the Disney/FOX deal. For those not paying attention... FOX still owns its OTA broadcast network and the OTA stations that it had... as well as FOX News, FOX Business, FS1, and FS2.

Why does that matter?

Because... Disney now owns the 20th Century FOX TV production arm that produces the Orville... and under the previous scenario, it was FOX paying another FOX subsidiary for the show... which means it didn't have to be as profitable as a show they would buy from someone else... but going forward, FOX is now paying Disney for the show.

Two things about that... it means the show has to be good in ratings to bring money to FOX to be worth paying for it... AND they have to be ok dealing with Disney... This also holds true for the Simpsons, Family Guy, and some other shows... ALSO, it presumes that Disney wants to sell the shows to FOX instead of one of its own networks... Disney could, for instance, have wanted to sell Orville or Simpsons to ABC once current contracts were up. I honestly half-expected some shows to fall into this category.
phildaant and Eadwig like this.
post #1773 of 1840 Old 05-18-2019, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The Simpsons may go steaming only but that can be bad for the show and the ratings are still good for OTA FREE TV.
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1774 of 1840 Old 05-19-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5231 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager8 View Post
To each his/her own I guess because I think The Orville is awesome. I did give up on STD though when they tortured a creature for their ship's power in season 1. I just find that kind of thing disturbing, not entertaining.
They didn't know the creature was sentient, and when they found out, the creature was released. Also, if you didnt give up on it and had actually finished the season, you'd have been able to reconcile this easily when you discovered who the captain at the time actually was.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1775 of 1840 Old 05-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 864
The Orville Stars Adrianne Palicki and Scott Grimes Got Married

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/...rried-wedding/

They didn't even use my pics!

What? you guys weren't invited!?
post #1776 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4727 Post(s)
Liked: 4250
The Orville Moving Exclusively to Hulu for Season 3, to Premiere in Late 2020

After two seasons on Fox, Seth MacFarlane’s sci-fi series will move to Hulu in Season 3...in making the announcement at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday, MacFarlane also revealed that the third season will not debut until late 2020...

https://tvline.com/2019/07/20/the-or...-date-delayed/
aaronwt, phildaant and SuperFist like this.
post #1777 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

After two seasons on Fox, Seth MacFarlane’s sci-fi series will move to Hulu in Season 3...in making the announcement at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday, MacFarlane also revealed that the third season will not debut until late 2020...

https://tvline.com/2019/07/20/the-or...-date-delayed/
A Fox Studios production (owned by Disney), pulled from the Fox Network (not owned by Disney) moves to a streaming service (majority owned by Disney).

Anyone think Seth’s explanation of the move is Grade “A” Baloney?

Last edited by BGLeduc; 07-20-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #1778 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
A Fox Studios production (owned by Disney), pulled for the Fox Network (not owned by Disney) moves to a streaming service (majority owned by Disney).

Anyone think Seth’s explanation of the move is Grade “A” Baloney?
something definitely sounds strange...MacFarlane is making it seem that FOX didn't want to wait until late 2020 for a new season and wanted a quicker turnaround and they somehow came up with this new deal with Hulu...but I'm with you that it sounds like spin and we're not getting the whole story...
BGLeduc and phildaant like this.
post #1779 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 659
I really like the show but I will not subscribe to Hulu to watch it.
Rgb, JoeTiVo, Tom Imp and 2 others like this.
post #1780 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
Ditto. WHy not broadcast Fox?
post #1781 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
I'm still hoping for an official announce of a season 3 for The Orville. I'm just hoping that we don't get a good news/bad news (or as The Animaniacs called it: Good Idea/Bad Idea):

Good news: The Orville is renewed.
Bad News: It's being moved to Disney+.

(Great, another show moved behind a freaking paywall).

IMPORTANT: THERE'S NOTHING OFFICIAL HERE! THESE ARE JUST MY SPECULATIONS!

And that is exactly what happened
phildaant likes this.
post #1782 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
I'm still hoping for an official announce of a season 3 for The Orville. I'm just hoping that we don't get a good news/bad news (or as The Animaniacs called it: Good Idea/Bad Idea):

Good news: The Orville is renewed.
Bad News: It's being moved to Disney+

(Great, another show moved behind a freaking paywall)

IMPORTANT: THERE'S NOTHING OFFICIAL HERE! THESE ARE JUST MY SPECULATIONS!
you win the Carnac the Magnificent fortune teller award of 2019
post #1783 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 07:07 PM

Well. That was unexpected. Last time I saw Seth on a talk show, he was bullish on 'The Orville' and there was no mention of it moving off broadcast into the streaming realm. Was this show considered a hit for Fox, or were the ratings disappointing?
phildaant likes this.
post #1784 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7111 Post(s)
Liked: 16056
Wait. What? Is this for real? If so, my journey aboard The Orville comes to an end.☹️

post #1785 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 659
It can end up being pretty expensive to watch a few series you like. The networks air a series and it gets popular. Then they move it to a streaming service that they have a share in. So we have to subscribe to CBS all Access, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Starz, Showtime, HBO etc etc. Pretty soon your bill is the size of your mortgage. Just say no!!
phildaant likes this.
post #1786 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 479
IMHO, Seth has done the impossible, managing to P*** off both the Murdoch Clan and Disney Corporate at the same time. He's appearing on the SHOWTIME docudrama The Loudest Voice in the Room as in actor, playing Roger Ailes' "slimy" henchman Brian Lewis, creating an unflattering portrait of how the FOX NEWS channel rapidly clawed its way up to "number one" in the ratings, something that doesn't exactly flatter the Murdochs.

And then there's Disney, that all-powerful "megacorp" that's not exactly very happy about all the jabs and references Seth's animated shows have made to Walt Disney himself having "NAZI leanings" during World War II--which is an inconvenient truth that embarrasses Disney Corporate each and every one of the many times Seth has brought it up.

Angering BOTH the Disney Empire and the Murdoch Group AT THE SAME TIME? Hmmm...he's lucky that Orville is at least going to streaming (which, like it or not, seems to be where all shows worth watching are going to be in a few years). I'll bet old Rupert wanted it somehow banished to run at 3 a.m. on the ADULT SWIM network (where Seth got his Big Break almost 25 years ago), but he probably settled on Hulu when his staff reminded him that he doesn't actually own ADULT SWIM.
phildaant likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #1787 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
It can end up being pretty expensive to watch a few series you like. The networks air a series and it gets popular. Then they move it to a streaming service that they have a share in. So we have to subscribe to CBS all Access, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Starz, Showtime, HBO etc etc. Pretty soon your bill is the size of your mortgage. Just say no!!
Consider it an exercise in self-discipline and pro-active decision-making. One service at a time, watch everything they've accumulated that is must-watch, and then quit and subscribe to the next one. Rinse and repeat, monthly, and your total cost is about the same as one service for a year, plus a few clicks online every few weeks.

But it requires more research and planning: which services have which shows, and when.
phildaant and dnoonie like this.
post #1788 of 1840 Old 07-20-2019, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Well, that’s definitely not bitchin’!
phildaant likes this.
post #1789 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked: 3236
Hulu with commercials is 6 bucks and there is a lot in there, a lot. Paywalls are the future, free tv is becoming a junkyard. The revolution will not be televised.
archiguy likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #1790 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I'm already used to watching exclusive, high quality shows on streaming services so in that respect I'm not upset. Being on Hulu can actually give Seth more freedom and creativity that broadcast does not allow. I just hope the limited viewership of Hulu compared to Fox doesn't spell the end of the show.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1791 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager8 View Post
I'm already used to watching exclusive, high quality shows on streaming services so in that respect I'm not upset. Being on Hulu can actually give Seth more freedom and creativity that broadcast does not allow. I just hope the limited viewership of Hulu compared to Fox doesn't spell the end of the show.
I can't wait for the expanse on Amazon.
aaronwt and phildaant like this.
post #1792 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I doubt I'll watch Orville with this development. But with the Next Generation cast being put together for Picard, I'll pay for that series.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/star-tr...on-1202649646/
post #1793 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4714 Post(s)
Liked: 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
Consider it an exercise in self-discipline and pro-active decision-making. One service at a time, watch everything they've accumulated that is must-watch, and then quit and subscribe to the next one. Rinse and repeat, monthly, and your total cost is about the same as one service for a year, plus a few clicks online every few weeks.

But it requires more research and planning: which services have which shows, and when.

Self-discipline and pro-active decision-making, research and planning.

Sounds like a lot of work to watch a TV show. One that isn't that great to begin with.

I need everyone to do more work so I can get more back end cash too. Hop on it folks. It's exercise. Can't decide if I should get the lime green Lambo or the spicy orange. Hmmm. Both?

Honestly, you present good solutions to the "problem", but what I think is rustling peoples jimmies is that the problem even exists in the first place.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #1794 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm out.
post #1795 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 09:08 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Self-discipline and pro-active decision-making, research and planning.

Sounds like a lot of work to watch a TV show. One that isn't that great to begin with.

I need everyone to do more work so I can get more back end cash too. Hop on it folks. It's exercise. Can't decide if I should get the lime green Lambo or the spicy orange. Hmmm. Both?

Honestly, you present good solutions to the "problem", but what I think is rustling peoples jimmies is that the problem even exists in the first place.
Agreed.

While the rotating stream subs may work for the time being (and I think is a reasonable way to go for now), as the stream market matures, they will wise up and not offer monthly come-and-go any longer- forced year or 3 month contracts/durations, start trickling in ads, and other bad behaviors.

Of course this is how the media market has always been- ebb and flow, you get a good thing going (for consumers) for a while, then the MBA's come in and bean count every nickel they can pry from the public. Ongoing cat and mouse game with content providers and consumers will never end. To minimize costs and maximize what you want, yes you need to do the research, get deals on subs, be disciplined and focus on watching what you are paying for (binge the series' on that sub for a month or line up the exclusive movies you want to see on HBO, Starz, etc).

While I like the convenience of renting new movie releases via Prime (free credits by choosing slow ship vs 2 day), a growing problem is a big delay in Amazon getting new release films for rent. EIther the film is Buy only for months, and/or films are exclusive to HBO, Starz, etc for months or longer. I've noticed this happening to more films moving forward.

Last edited by Rgb; 07-21-2019 at 09:11 AM.
post #1796 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 09:13 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
I doubt I'll watch Orville with this development. But with the Next Generation cast being put together for Picard, I'll pay for that series.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/star-tr...on-1202649646/
I am acutally looking forward to STP

Never took CBS up on the free trial, so hopefully it will be there when STP S1 is posted, then I'll try it
phildaant likes this.
post #1797 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Goodbye Orville I hardly knew you.
archiguy, JoeTiVo, crabboy and 3 others like this.
post #1798 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 02:22 PM

Yeah, I'm out too. Ain't following it from free TV to a pay service. Don't like it that much. 'The Expanse' it ain't.
Sharp1080 and phildaant like this.
post #1799 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 2937
Yeesh, a little bump in the road and everyone bails. lol It is annoying but there are ways to watch it.... we don't even get Hulu 'officially' up here. I wonder if international viewers will get it on Netflix?
Don S and phildaant like this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #1800 of 1840 Old 07-21-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2859 Post(s)
Liked: 2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Great post! But if you have to ask that question, you don't understand religion (which has little to do with faith, per se). From the earliest time when modern man and his immediate ancestors began banding together for herd-protection, religion has been used to both explain & make some sense of the then-unknowable natural world, and then later, for one group of men (the keepers of the faith - the "priesthood") to control other men. Over time, the "explanation" part has fallen away as our scientific knowledge and technology has given us the proper tools to understand the world around us. But the "controlling" aspect of religion remains. Many social & cultural pathologies have arisen from that stubborn and persistent phenomenon, and still plague us.
Dead accurate.

Oh, and I'm out, too. Excepting the amputated leg, not all that funny. Some nice special effects on occasion, but no real new ideas, sci-fi wise. Just not worth being charged a fee to see.
Rgb likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-21-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page