David Fincher's Mindhunter on Netflix - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #1 of 89 Old 08-02-2017, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 68
David Fincher's Mindhunter on Netflix

Debuts 10/13/2017, certainly has a good pedigree. Set in 1979, a pair of FBI agents interview imprisoned serial killers to try to solve ongoing cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 10-14-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 844
I’m in enjoying it extremely cerebral dialogue reminds me of Zodiac

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #3 of 89 Old 10-14-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4192 Post(s)
Liked: 3907
Watched the first 3 eps so far and I'm quite enjoying it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 Old 10-14-2017, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Watched the first 3 eps so far and I'm quite enjoying it.

I planned to watch football today and made the “mistake” in starting Mindhunter and I’ll likely finish today, this is my kind of show!
Keenan likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #5 of 89 Old 10-14-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
I had to laugh at the place the guys visited at about 45 minutes into the first episode. I know the place and there is NO freeway anywhere around there (the scene where they are relaxing by motel pool with a raised freeway in the background). But Pennsylvania was apparently standing in for all locations.
post #6 of 89 Old 10-14-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Yeah, I had to give it a pass on the "locations" as well.
post #7 of 89 Old 10-14-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I had to give it a pass on the "locations" as well.
Hope you aren't "burnt out" at your location. I could see the east winds blowing the smoke out to sea this morning.
post #8 of 89 Old 10-14-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Hope you aren't "burnt out" at your location. I could see the east winds blowing the smoke out to sea this morning.
It's been much like Beijing for most of the week but Friday and today it's pretty clear. With the fire heading northwest along Hwy 12 though, we are getting some smoky air and more ash than we have in the previous few days. We were less than 2 blocks from a voluntary evac zone until yesterday when it was finally lifted. Hoses in place on the roofs, 80 GPM sump pump with 200' of 2" hose ready to drop into the creek if needed, we're prepared but after Monday and Tuesday, the danger at this location has gone way down. Still pretty crazy though, sirens and air traffic all night long last night.
post #9 of 89 Old 10-14-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5349 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
when I first heard of this show I thought it sounded great...David Fincher Silence of the Lambs/Seven TV version...but after reading some reviews there seems to be very little action and gore and it's all talking and examination of the mind of these serial killers...I still might check this out later but there's too many things debuting on Netflix this month that take higher priority
post #10 of 89 Old 10-14-2017, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

post #11 of 89 Old 10-14-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 1879
Quote:
It's been much like Beijing for most of the week but Friday and today it's pretty clear. With the fire heading northwest along Hwy 12 though, we are getting some smoky air and more ash than we have in the previous few days. We were less than 2 blocks from a voluntary evac zone until yesterday when it was finally lifted. Hoses in place on the roofs, 80 GPM sump pump with 200' of 2" hose ready to drop into the creek if needed, we're prepared but after Monday and Tuesday, the danger at this location has gone way down. Still pretty crazy though, sirens and air traffic all night long last night.
I have family in Sebastopol so I feel for you guys. Whole sections of Santa Rosa are burned out. Prayers for rain.
Keenan likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #12 of 89 Old 10-15-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A member of a group I'm on posted a negative review on IMDB. He thinks this show panders to the lowest common denominator. But I read an article about John Douglas and it's semi-autobiographical if anything and definitely won't appeal to the non-thinking set. I think the member of that group was looking for rousing action but it's more like Fincher's "Zodiac".
gomo657 likes this.
post #13 of 89 Old 10-15-2017, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Yes, it's definitely not an action-centric crime drama, that's for sure.

This is a far more cerebral look at the FBI coming to grips with a "new" type of killer. It's also interesting watching how the FBI changes with the times as well, Hoover's G-men are on their way out and the thinking man's FBI is coming into its own.
post #14 of 89 Old 10-15-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
A member of a group I'm on posted a negative review on IMDB. He thinks this show panders to the lowest common denominator. But I read an article about John Douglas and it's semi-autobiographical if anything and definitely won't appeal to the non-thinking set. I think the member of that group was looking for rousing action but it's more like Fincher's "Zodiac".

I finished this yesterday it’s definitely more like an extension of Zodiac. I’m a Fincher fan so this was a great binge I’m looking forward to another season.

post #15 of 89 Old 10-15-2017, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3970 Post(s)
Liked: 3239
I liked most of this series pretty well. Way more interesting than being just another procedural or an action cop show.

I got curious and looked up Park City Kansas:
Quote:
Dennis Rader (aka the BTK Killer), who murdered 10 people in Kansas between 1974 and 1991, played by Sonny Valicenti;
Already approved for a second season so I guess we'll see more of him.
Keenan and rebkell like this.
post #16 of 89 Old 10-19-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Enjoyed "Zodiac" but find this truly unwatchable. YMMV.
post #17 of 89 Old 10-21-2017, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 1879
I enjoyed this quite a bit except the Holden Ford arc to the end seemed forced and annoying. I'll definitely watch season 2.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #18 of 89 Old 10-23-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 349
As was mentioned, I expected more gore and action, but ended up loving it anyway. I'm in my 50's, and they nailed the timeframe it took place in. Highly recommended to those who want a more cerebral experience.
JoeTiVo likes this.
post #19 of 89 Old 10-23-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
As was mentioned, I expected more gore and action, but ended up loving it anyway. I'm in my 50's, and they nailed the timeframe it took place in. Highly recommended to those who want a more cerebral experience.
I guess my patience is shot as I couldn't get through the 2nd episode. I've heard of shows with a slow buildup but I couldn't take it. I'll probably give it another shot next summer when there's noting on.
post #20 of 89 Old 10-23-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Guess I'm geared for this type of presentation. Take in 2 epps every few days and like it.
Hated Zodiac first view, but it hit me as fine work after view #3 . (I tend to give Finch a wide
birth out of respect for early work) This is apart from that
quality, but it's much better than 90% of the poop on cable/net these days.

Everything leans on the actor's ability to sell it and I think they do.

Best
post #21 of 89 Old 10-26-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally finished the season the other night. They seemed to "eat" their way through most of the episodes with the focus on cafe food. And I wonder who decided to have the Kemper actor deliver his lines like John Goodman?
JoeTiVo likes this.
post #22 of 89 Old 01-19-2018, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1990 Post(s)
Liked: 2822
Tempted by the hype, my wife and I recently gave this show a shot. We suffered through three episodes of weak writing and some (deliberately?) bad acting before giving up on it. Bill Tench and Edmund Kemper were interesting characters - it's too bad there weren't more like them.

-- Edit --
On a lark, we watched Ep.4 this evening and it wasn't too bad, mostly because Holden Ford's character took a back-seat to the more-interesting characters (Bill Tench and Monte Rissell). That seems to be the secret to this show: Ignore the weak main character and the weak story-lines involving him and focus on the better ones.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 01-19-2018 at 06:24 PM.
post #23 of 89 Old 01-19-2018, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
I finished this yesterday it’s definitely more like an extension of Zodiac. I’m a Fincher fan so this was a great binge I’m looking forward to another season.
Fair summation. This was not perfect in the way that Fincher made Zodiac, but its depiction of the beginning of serial killer profiling is interesting and the portrayal of the "old style" G-man versus this new way of looking at crime is interesting. I enjoyed its deliberate pace.
post #24 of 89 Old 01-20-2018, 08:12 AM

when this was first announced I was really looking forward to it...but after reading some reviews it was not what I was hoping it would be...I was expecting Silence of the Lambs meets Se7en...I still might check it out down the road but am in no hurry
post #25 of 89 Old 01-20-2018, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
when this was first announced I was really looking forward to it...but after reading some reviews it was not what I was hoping it would be...I was expecting Silence of the Lambs meets Se7en...I still might check it out down the road but am in no hurry
You're reading it correctly, it's certainly not a mash of the 2 movies you mentioned. As others have mentioned, a bit of a Zodiac vibe, but not completely.
post #26 of 89 Old 01-20-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I think some folks went into the series thinking it was serial killer mystery/thriller. It is that, to a degree, but it's more about the creation and development of the FBI's Behavioral Sciences division that hunts down serial killers and aberrant criminal behavior. I think it's done a good job of melding drama with some actual history.
post #27 of 89 Old 01-21-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I think some folks went into the series thinking it was serial killer mystery/thriller. It is that, to a degree, but it's more about the creation and development of the FBI's Behavioral Sciences division that hunts down serial killers and aberrant criminal behavior. I think it's done a good job of melding drama with some actual history.

the synopsis for Mindhunter provided by Netflix- a pair of FBI agents interview imprisoned serial killers to try to solve ongoing cases- feeds into the notion that it would be similar to Silence of the Lambs...it's almost exactly what Silence of the Lambs was about (which is one of my all time favorite movies)...I think it was a deliberate attempt by Netflix to get people to watch with the Silence of the Lambs synopsis plus the fact that David Fincher (who directed Se7en) also fed into promoting the show as something it was not
post #28 of 89 Old 01-22-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
the synopsis for Mindhunter provided by Netflix- a pair of FBI agents interview imprisoned serial killers to try to solve ongoing cases- feeds into the notion that it would be similar to Silence of the Lambs...it's almost exactly what Silence of the Lambs was about (which is one of my all time favorite movies)...I think it was a deliberate attempt by Netflix to get people to watch with the Silence of the Lambs synopsis plus the fact that David Fincher (who directed Se7en) also fed into promoting the show as something it was not
You do have a point, I saw those promos and it did make it seem as if it was a true drama. I read several articles on the show before viewing it and they went into what the show was all about so I wasn't really surprised when it turned out to be different than what others might have been expecting.
post #29 of 89 Old 01-22-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I started watching it without any foreknowledge (except for its setting and very basic premise--early days of Behavioral Science unit). Loved every minute of it. Looking forward to next season.
JoeTiVo, Keenan and gomo657 like this.
post #30 of 89 Old 01-31-2018, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1990 Post(s)
Liked: 2822
Further to post 22: We finished watching Season 1. The writing and character development remain uneven, but the show did improve enough that we'll likely give Season 2 a try. It was great to see Kemper in the finale - his appearance was the highlight of that episode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page