Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-28-2017, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 125
"Liar" on Sundance

Stinging reviews. such as cringe-worthy soap opera, as one comment at imdb about this six-part British mini-series starting last night on Sundance. It's about a woman claiming she was raped during a first date with a doctor. The NY Times review seems less irritated, while labeling the plot 'loony tunes'.-- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-28-2017, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Well the premiere was pretty good IMO. Nothing spectacular, but it was enjoyable with strong acting and pretty decent writing. Not much new in the plot I fear, but it seems to be done very well IMO - through 1 episode anyway. I liked it.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-29-2017, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^Yes, about the same here. I'd just said no more, thanks, to the simultaneous ABC series about Congress being destroyed plus CBS's Seal team new series (after ~10 minutes). So it was great to view something with all the features you outlined. -- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-29-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
^^^Yes, about the same here. I'd just said no more, thanks, to the simultaneous ABC series about Congress being destroyed plus CBS's Seal team new series (after ~10 minutes). So it was great to view something with all the features you outlined. -- John
Yeah, Seals was bad. OTOH, NBC's similar "The Brave" pilot was actually pretty stellar I have to say. I was just telling my wife, that as bad as Seals was is how good I thought The Brave was. If that genre is something you like, you might want to check out that pilot. Less melodrama, high production values IMO (through 1 episode :-)
post #5 of 11 Old 10-05-2017, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Can't really say the 2nd episode tipped this series into loopy (NY Times review) or negative land (IMDB comments). The woman claiming rape wants to push the police along in their investigation, thinking the doctor drugged her wine when she invited him into her home. She notices their glasses had been washed. So she sneaks into his home and spots a small container with a clear liquid under his bed, then 'arranges' a police search of his hone. Naturally the doctor finds one of her ear rings near his bed. Meanwhile, some dude phones the doctor saying the woman earlier accused him of rape, too.

Last edited by John Mason; 10-08-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: sp.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-05-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Drats, I missed an episode I guess
post #7 of 11 Old 10-12-2017, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The doctor talks with the other guy accused of rape and concludes it wasn't such a case (like his), Meanwhile, after the caller talked with police, the prosecutor decided to drop the case. Teacher Laura Neilson is told by a woman detective that there could be something suspicious behind the earlier apparent suicide of Dr. Earlham's wife and to stay away from him. In a flashback to their first date he's shown doping her wine. In the final episode 3 scene, Laura comes home and finds the ear ring lost near Earlham's bed pinned to a rabbit doll. Excellent dialog throughout , with a sequence showing Laura helping a student to the hospital after she takes five 'morning-after' pills. -- John
post #8 of 11 Old 10-19-2017, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Teacher Laura Neilson visits the hometown of the dead wife of Dr. Earlham, hunting for clues to her suicide. She encounters another woman drugged and raped by the doctor. Threatened with libel by his lawyer she confronts Earlham with what she discovered. Meanwhile the doctor sneaks into the woman detective's home, drugs a beverage and rapes her when she's 'out', then washes the beverage bottle and leaves it drying just like Laura's wine glass. Fadeout as Laura gets a sample of GHB, used to spike drinks, from her cop friend. Wonder what she has in mind? -- John

Edit: Might be someone was watching "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" for an ending. Noticed, for those who like to jump ahead, this season's ending is spelled out within some posts about Liar's upcoming (1919) season 2.

Last edited by John Mason; 10-20-2017 at 07:42 AM. Reason: speculation
post #9 of 11 Old 10-26-2017, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Next-to-last episode and the plot gets wackier, although it's still unclear how the ending shown in videos within the link just above developed. Laura devises a scheme to capture the doctor, tie him up and give him GHB.. He escapes the rope, chases her through a boatyard, and the woman detective, who figured out she was doped/raped, drives up at the last minute. But Dr. Earlham convinces them both that Laura's scheme won't work since he has GHB in his system and walks away. Apparently season 2 backtracks to detail what happened in next week's finale. -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 11-11-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 11 Old 11-04-2017, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Final scenes show Dr. Earlham, his throat cut, floating in Laura's favorite kayaking marsh. No clue who done it. During the final he torments her by calling her from outside her home and implying he videoed her rape. She then visits acquaintances of the doctor, tricking them into letting her search a shed. She finds thumb drives with 17 recorded rapes, bringing about his arrest warrant. Clever series and presumably series II will reveal whether he committed suicide--or even his son took him out. -- John
post #11 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked: 2410
Season 2 premieres this Saturday (April 11). I hadn't heard of this show until the other day when I saw it listed among free streaming content currently available during the COVID-19 crisis (the first season is streaming for free on Sundance Now—web only—through April 14, I believe).

Given the dearth of original content coming out over the next several months, I decided to watch season 1 online and set a recording for season 2. I've only watched the first two episodes and am intrigued enough to keep going. It's only six <45 minute episodes, so an easy binge and something new to watch.

Since I've just started watching this, please don't quote this post if you are discussing s.1 spoilers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page