Recommend British or Scandinavian Crime Dramas - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #91 of 146 Old 04-30-2020, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I second World On Fire, an excellent WWII drama with lots of big-name British stars, unfortunately, while sneals2000 said it was produced in 5.1 at least our local PBS station only carries it in 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 146 Old 04-30-2020, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6369 Post(s)
Liked: 5863
Deadwater Fell

I finished watching this 4 part British crime drama/mystery series starring David Tennant last night (Acorn TV)...it was decent...it's more about the after effects of a murder and the grief of the small town versus a straight whodunnit...in that respect it most closely resembles the AMC series 'The Killing'...Tennant was great and so was the other main character played by Cush Jumbo...not mind blowing but worth a watch

Grade: B
post #93 of 146 Old 05-03-2020, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 916
https://acorn.tv/blood/
Has anyone watched Blood? I'm a few episodes in and will stay to see how it ends.

Likened to Broadchurch and The Killing by critics, this psychological mystery is "must-see TV…taut, stylish, and suspenseful" (The Irish Times). BAFTA nominee Adrian Dunbar (Line of Duty) stars as a respected doctor in a small Irish town. When his wife dies, everyone believes it was an accident--except his daughter (Carolina Main, Unforgotten), who mistrusts her father because of a childhood trauma.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"

Last edited by gomo657; 05-03-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 146 Old 05-03-2020, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
...World On Fire, an excellent WWII drama...
Only if you don't know history. They got so much wrong it is almost laughable to watch.
post #95 of 146 Old 05-04-2020, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
Only if you don't know history. They got so much wrong it is almost laughable to watch.
I agree. The writing wasn't very good either. Then add that neither was the acting (maybe with the exception of Lesley Manville), so it wasn't worth it. I watched two episodes and then decided not to waste any more time on it.

SMK
post #96 of 146 Old 05-05-2020, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Line of Duty season 2 starts on AMC this Saturday at 11:00 pm.
post #97 of 146 Old 05-06-2020, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiophileWalt View Post
Line of Duty season 2 starts on AMC this Saturday at 11:00 pm.
FYI. Seasons 1-4 are available from Prime Video and/or Acorn TV. Season 5 is available on Acorn TV.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
post #98 of 146 Old 05-06-2020, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
FYI. Seasons 1-4 are available from Prime Video and/or Acorn TV. Season 5 is available on Acorn TV.
I've seen them all and I enjoyed them all.
blade005 likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #99 of 146 Old 05-06-2020, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2246 Post(s)
Liked: 2416
Quote:
I just finished season 1, recording on AMC weekly, and am glad to see they'll be continuing with season 2 episodes. I don't see that Line of Duty is available on Prime (as in free for Prime members) unless you sign up for the Acorn TV add-on (currently free for 30 days).
post #100 of 146 Old 05-06-2020, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I just finished season 1, recording on AMC weekly, and am glad to see they'll be continuing with season 2 episodes. I don't see that Line of Duty is available on Prime (as in free for Prime members) unless you sign up for the Acorn TV add-on (currently free for 30 days).
Are you sure? I would check again. I am in the US and I see that your location says you are as well. Seasons 1-4 are showing as available with Prime membership. I took a quick screen cap (see below) via Prime Video on web browser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Line of Duty - Prime.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	2722132  

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
post #101 of 146 Old 05-06-2020, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you sure? I would check again. I am in the US and I see that your location says you are as well. Seasons 1-4 are showing as available with Prime membership. I took a quick screen cap (see below) via Prime Video on web browser.

Weird. This is what it looks like for me. I'm definitely logged in as it's showing the usual Amazon shows like Bosch are free via Prime for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Line of Duty_Prime.png
Views:	35
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	2722138  
post #102 of 146 Old 05-06-2020, 12:36 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2542 Post(s)
Liked: 3831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Weird. This is what it looks like for me. I'm definitely logged in as it's showing the usual Amazon shows like Bosch are free via Prime for me.
It looks like you are pulling up Line of Duty, Series 1 (270 reviews). If you pull up Line of Duty (10 reviews), you'll see the 4 seasons listed for free.
Zookster and blade005 like this.
post #103 of 146 Old 05-06-2020, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
It looks like you are pulling up Line of Duty, Series 1 (270 reviews). If you pull up Line of Duty (10 reviews), you'll see the 4 seasons listed for free.
Good catch.

The Prime (4 Seasons) was the one that displayed first with my web browser search. The 5 seasons selection is what is shown if I go into the Acorn TV Channel on web browser and then find LINE OF DUTY. I guess Prime has multiple entry points you can jump in from depending on where you are searching. I subscribe to Acorn TV thru Prime Channels. If I search for LINE OF DUTY from Fire TV UI on Firestick 4K device I get one selection that merges Prime and Acorn TV options. Seasons 1-4 I can WATCH NOW with either Prime, Acorn TV Channel or AMC app. Season 5 shows just Acorn TV Channel only as an option. The web browser search seems to be the Wild West option with multiple results returned.

post #104 of 146 Old 05-06-2020, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Well waddya know? That's really odd there are two ways to pull up the show. At any rate, good to know I can binge ahead if I want and not worry about FF'd through commercials.
blade005 likes this.
post #105 of 146 Old 05-07-2020, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 88
This has happened to me with several other shows, all British, but not all on Acorn. Some were on Britbox, and one or two may have been on Netflix. In one case, I think it was Midsomer Murders, I went to watch a show and was informed I would have to pay for it on Prime. That made no sense as I was watching it on Britbox that I subscribe to. By going to the Britbox app and watching it there, it was free. In some cases when shows are on multiple platforms Amazon will give you the choice of which you want to watch, but it doesn't always. Other examples were some specific episodes but not seasons of Poirot and I think a few Miss Marples.

SMK
post #106 of 146 Old 05-07-2020, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
This has happened to me with several other shows, all British, but not all on Acorn. Some were on Britbox, and one or two may have been on Netflix. In one case, I think it was Midsomer Murders, I went to watch a show and was informed I would have to pay for it on Prime. That made no sense as I was watching it on Britbox that I subscribe to. By going to the Britbox app and watching it there, it was free. In some cases when shows are on multiple platforms Amazon will give you the choice of which you want to watch, but it doesn't always. Other examples were some specific episodes but not seasons of Poirot and I think a few Miss Marples.

SMK
Amazon does make you do some investigating before you can watch what you already subscribed to!!

I find it is most challenging via Web Browser or Prime Video app on Roku. It is even challenging if you use the Prime Video app with a Fire TV hardware device. Once I added a Fire TV Stick to my options and became familiar with the Fire TV UI they obviously make it much easier to see all of the WATCH NOW OPTIONS on Prime Video and your Prime Channel subscriptions with their hardware/software solution and the Fire TV UI. That includes the SD versus 4K HDR versions of their own Prime Original content.

post #107 of 146 Old 05-15-2020, 06:27 AM

BritBox To Become The “Comprehensive” Home Of Agatha Christie In America

BritBox says it is going to house the most comprehensive collection of Agatha Christie adaptations in North America after inking a deal with the estate of the British author...the streaming service, which is operated by ITV and the BBC, has added to its existing catalog of Christie titles by acquiring further rights to films, TV series, and audio plays

Included in the new deal is Seasons 9-12 of David Suchet’s depiction of legendary detective Poirot, meaning BritBox will eventually be the home to all-but-one series of the ITV show...Seasons 9-12 drop today...

https://deadline.com/2020/05/britbox...ie-1202934457/
post #108 of 146 Old 05-15-2020, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 363
....so does it seem like Britbox has basically replaced AcornTV for the place to watch British programming? At one point it seemed everything was Acorn but not for the last couple years?? Also many of the British programming I see on PBS has the Britbox logo/jingle at the end, they seem to be everywhere.
post #109 of 146 Old 05-15-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
....so does it seem like Britbox has basically replaced AcornTV for the place to watch British programming? At one point it seemed everything was Acorn but not for the last couple years?? Also many of the British programming I see on PBS has the Britbox logo/jingle at the end, they seem to be everywhere.
with a name like 'BritBox' I would hope they would be the definitive source of British programming
post #110 of 146 Old 05-16-2020, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
I wish the stations would merge. There are some programs like Vera that have different seasons on both channels. I may need to alternate my monthly subscriptions between the two and thus create my own British streaming channel.
philw1776 likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #111 of 146 Old 05-16-2020, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
I wish the stations would merge. There are some programs like Vera that have different seasons on both channels. I may need to alternate my monthly subscriptions between the two and thus create my own British streaming channel.
I Don't think a merger is in the near future.

BRITBOX is a BBC and ITV creation. ACORN TV is a AMC NETWORKS (Acorn TV, Sundance NOW, Shudder, IFC Films, etc) service. I wouldn't mind seeing AMC Networks roll all of their disparate streaming services into one reasonably priced offering.

What I would expect is that as streaming rights windows on ITV or BBC content that is currently on Acorn TV expires that more of that content will become exclusive streaming on BritBox, such as Poirot and other Agatha Christie content. I subscribe to both and find the $6.99 (Britbox) and $4.99 (Acorn TV) monthly fees via Prime Video channels together are a justifiable monthly fee for all of the British, Canadian, European and Australian content across both. But then I also include MHz CHOICE in my subscriptions to pick up all of the unique French, German, Swedish and other European crime and mysteries that are not on BritBox or Acorn TV.

post #112 of 146 Old 05-20-2020, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
I Don't think a merger is in the near future.

BRITBOX is a BBC and ITV creation. ACORN TV is a AMC NETWORKS (Acorn TV, Sundance NOW, Shudder, IFC Films, etc) service. I wouldn't mind seeing AMC Networks roll all of their disparate streaming services into one reasonably priced offering.

What I would expect is that as streaming rights windows on ITV or BBC content that is currently on Acorn TV expires that more of that content will become exclusive streaming on BritBox, such as Poirot and other Agatha Christie content. I subscribe to both and find the $6.99 (Britbox) and $4.99 (Acorn TV) monthly fees via Prime Video channels together are a justifiable monthly fee for all of the British, Canadian, European and Australian content across both. But then I also include MHz CHOICE in my subscriptions to pick up all of the unique French, German, Swedish and other European crime and mysteries that are not on BritBox or Acorn TV.
ITV have a much larger stake in BritBox UK than the BBC, I don't know about the US set-up. I'd expect ITV Studios productions to be BritBox - and I wouldn't be surprised if more recent ITV commissions from independent production companies were on BritBox too.

However BBC Studios productions and BBC Content commissions from Indies for the BBC are a different matter, as the BBC may not have as big a commercial incentive to prioritise BritBox over more lucrative sales. That said - in the UK a number of BBC shows that were on Netflix or are currently - will be leaving the platform at the end of their current licensing periods.

For info - in the UK whilst the BBC and ITV can commission independent production companies to make shows they broadcast domestically, the PACT (Independent Production Companies trade body) rules that the BBC and ITV (and C4 and C5) work within mean that international rights for sale of these shows outside the UK are not owned by the BBC or ITV, and ordinarily (*) remain with the production company that made them. (They may chose to sell them through the BBC Studios - formerly BBC Worldwide - and ITV Studios sales arms, and they don't have to sell them to BritBox specifically in either the UK or the US - though they may chose to). Within the UK, most Indies retain full rights to their shows after a 5 year licensing period has elapsed (with the commissioning broadcaster having to re-license the production to show it outside of this window - though it's a bit more complex than this)

The BBC in the UK have recently extended their free, UK-only, iPlayer platform to retain all BBC made and BBC commissioned shows for 12 months (rather than 30 days) Catch-Up viewing - which explains why they have less interest in the UK BritBox pay-TV platform. (The PACT deal that the BBC made to allow this has reduced the percentage the BBC are paid for independent productions they funded and commissioned being sold internationally, but it means they have no increased commissioning or rights payments up front to add the 11 month streaming rights)

Last edited by sneals2000; 05-20-2020 at 12:59 AM.
post #113 of 146 Old 05-20-2020, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Thanks for the recommendations on Safe and The Vahalla Murders; both were very interesting and kept our interest for the entire series. Although I have to admit I found Michael C. Hall's British accent a bit distracting...
post #114 of 146 Old 05-20-2020, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

I have not watched this yet, but it definitely appears to be quirky fun. Two (2) episodes of a six (6) episode Season 1 are available on ACORN TV. I might just wait until all six (6) are available, because it looks like a fun binge watch.

DEAD STILL - ACORN TV
Set in 1880s Ireland in the Victorian era heyday of 'postmortem photography' the six-episode period drama follows a renowned memorial photographer who is drawn into a series of apparent murders which appear to be linked to his work.

post #115 of 146 Old 05-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
ITV have a much larger stake in BritBox UK than the BBC, I don't know about the US set-up. I'd expect ITV Studios productions to be BritBox - and I wouldn't be surprised if more recent ITV commissions from independent production companies were on BritBox too.
It is a 50% / 50% split for BritBox LLC in US, Canada and Australia when they eventually launch there.

I believe it is a 90% ITV / 10% BBC split for BritBox UK with an option for BBC to increase their share to 25%.

post #116 of 146 Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
I have not watched this yet, but it definitely appears to be quirky fun. Two (2) episodes of a six (6) episode Season 1 are available on ACORN TV. I might just wait until all six (6) are available, because it looks like a fun binge watch.

DEAD STILL - ACORN TV
This show is a lot of fun. We're watching as the episodes appear, and the black humor hits me just right.
blade005 and AudiophileWalt like this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #117 of 146 Old 05-24-2020, 05:08 PM

Britbox. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Am a big Holmes fan and read everything when I was a young teen. Bought the complete Sherlock Holmes for under $10 on Amazon and am reading it now. The 40 ep series from the '80s is on Britbox. The short stories on Britbox follow the narrative to the T. And the picture is good in 4/3.
Really cool to read a short story and then play it on Britbox in the same session. With ths series and all of the Poirot Britbox has, makes it worth considering.
gprace, RUR and blade005 like this.
post #118 of 146 Old 05-24-2020, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Britbox. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Am a big Holmes fan and read everything when I was a young teen. Bought the complete Sherlock Holmes for under $10 on Amazon and am reading it now. The 40 ep series from the '80s is on Britbox. The short stories on Britbox follow the narrative to the T. And the picture is good in 4/3.
Really cool to read a short story and then play it on Britbox in the same session. With ths series and all of the Poirot Britbox has, makes it worth considering.
The entire Granada series is a love letter to Holmes and Jeremy Brett will always be the best ever, no offense to Cumberbatch who's good but not the real thing.

I read the complete stories as a kid, it was the best gift my parents ever gave me, and it was not cheap at the time for them.

I bought this book recently - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0517481022/, it is wonderful !!

I don't know if you've seen Poirot, the one with David Suchet, its also fantastic.
gprace, RUR and AudiophileWalt like this.
post #119 of 146 Old 05-24-2020, 06:19 PM

I have all of Poirot on bluray in cases for the individual seasons. Have read in the past 3 years 20 of the novels. Poirot isn't cheap. Poirot and Holmes make Britbox at $7 per month very enticing.
blade005 likes this.
post #120 of 146 Old 05-24-2020, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have all of Poirot on bluray in cases for the individual seasons. Have read in the past 3 years 20 of the novels. Poirot isn't cheap. Poirot and Holmes make Britbox at $7 per month very enticing.
BritBox in the US is really starting to add to their collection and exclusivity recently. Holmes and Poirot alone are indeed a good value. And they now are adding all of Father Brown (recently pulled from Netflix), MI-5 (recently pulled from HULU after many years) and all of Death in Paradise. Plus little gems like Rosemary & Thyme and Shakespeare and Hathaway. And they seem to be adding more current BBC and ITV conent as BriBox Orginals (A Confession, The Mallorca Files) on a monthly basis.
AudiophileWalt likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page